Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Not gonna lie, one of my favorite touches so far is that a bunch of enemy Alliance Heroes that used to use generic random-hero names have been given actual lore-based names; or at least names that somewhat better fit the faction they're supposed to be from. Like, the Archmage with the Kul Tiran Marines in the Orc Prologue mission 3, now he has a name that makes him sound like a Tidesage. The various Archmagi in Silvermoon have been given Elven names, and all the ones in the "Defend Kel'thuzad while he summons Archimonde" mission are mostly proper Kirin Tor-aligned NPCs (or would have been at that point in time). And then in the Orc campaign, the Alliance Heroes you come across all take their names from NPCs that either could be found in Theramore in WoW, or were at least on Kalimdor; Archmage Xylem shows up a couple times.

So far I'm up to the end of the Orc Campaign, for now I've left off as I'm about to start the last orc level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

cheats still work!

Not if you can't get into the map, they don't.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

try skipping from the previous level?

Motherland [race] [level]

I haven't run into this particular issue myself yet because I haven't tried to play these levels; but if the crash occurs before you actually enter the map from the loading screen or cinematic, it doesn't matter how you reach the level. Also, level skip does nothing to help the Rexxar campaign, which includes countless loading screens and cinematics within a single mission for the game to crash at or lock up at.

The issue people have is not "I can't beat the mission", the issue is "I can't play the mission."

They're not just there for the completion sticker; they want to play the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Honestly I've tried playing wow and I can't make heads or tails of what the story of that game is supposed to be. I joined late and the game has no interest in telling me what the story of anything but the current expansion is, i guess you just need a wiki at this point

The *real* problem is that the *important* story from each expansion really happened in the Patch Content, and the game is very bad at letting new players see that. You have to go out of your way to find any of it, and even then you probably need a guide to know what to do in what order to get a proper sequence of events.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there a list anywhere of levels that are updated in the Reforged version to more accurate maps? I want to play through the game again and I want to see the changed maps, but I also don't want to use the new graphics except when necessary for that content.

I know The Culling is, the Quel'thalas missions are, and that Necromancer Kel'thuzad has a new boss. Does the invasion of Dalaran in the Undead campaign get revamped? Is there anything else?

Take note that the campaigns in Classic Graphics and Reforged Graphics are treated as separate campaigns by the game in terms of progress and inventory bank data and stuff like that.

Of note, *most* of the maps in Reign of Chaos have seen some sort of adjustment (in particular, making Hard Mode actually exiist and being actually hard on a level comparable to the Frozen Throne hard mode), but in terms of actual terrain being changed for lore accuracy, it's just Stratholme, Silvermoon, and any missions involving Dalaran.

As for Necromancer Kel'thuzad being a boss fight now, they made him a hero unit, and added some presentation to the various enemies in his area, but Kel'thuzad himself still doesn't really do anything special aside from use Death Pact if you try to ignore his units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

No switching back and forth? Well that sucks.

Maybe I'll do RoC with reforged and TFT in classic mode then.

Bear in mind that by "progress" I also refer to unlocking later levels and campaigns; you may have to speed through RoC on classic to unlock the TFT campaigns. They're not separated out into RoC or TFT anymore, they're just all in sequence. Just using the instant victory cheat does work though. Of note, Dalaran in the first few Blood Elf levels are also reterrained, but it's far less important there.

Also, in a very rare instance of Reforged fixing something instead of breaking it, there's a trigger in the very last mission of TFT, A Symphony of Frost and Flame, that causes earthquakes that deal damage to all buildings owned by the enemy of whoever takes an Obelisk, every time (so all enemies' buildings take damage when you take one, all your buildings take damage whenever Illidan takes one).

This trigger exists in the original map, but it was BROKEN. It's re-enabled in the Reforged version.