Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
RIP old gyro model. You were much better.

Just to clarify, when people were looking to drop in games back in the day (it used to say waiting for ____), people would spam individual letters one at a time to cause them to drop. Anyone familiar with this behavior? It was rampant in RT. Anyway, my question is: would this really cause people to drop/lag out? It was obnoxious as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where does Grubby play? He made a comment about having to play against bots or against battle.net (same thing) so it sounds like he's not playing there. I do see tft games in Gameranger

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgYyGfr36xg
I'm watching him play this match and it's the first I've seen him play using the reforged models and stuff. I surprisingly don't hate it? I don't think it looks great but I expected much worse. I like the water elementals

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HotS was the DotA clone right? Did they shut it down or something? I couldn't imagine having blizz resources and shutting poo poo down. It just seems designed to piss people off

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I don't play any mobile games so I have no clue how good they look. Phones seem like they'd be poo poo for playing tbh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Wyvern rides the wind, the orc rides the wyvern. They should be called wyvern riders

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

That's fair. I'm just looking to relive the Chaos/Throne campaigns really because I'm old and suck at multiplayer. But the campaigns were loving awesome and I loved how of all Blizzard's RTS, W3 was the easiest (for me at least) game to micro with the smaller control groups and some units having auto-powers.

It's got the same number of units per control group as BW and 3 more than WC2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Are there any sort of channels where people watch replays of bad players for WC3 or BW? I've been watching a lot of low elo legends for aoe2 and it's basically just someone who knows the game well watching really really really bad players and the baffling things they do and it's really funny and sometimes even educational. I don't know if either of the blizz games are the type that lend themselves well to this sort of thing but if anyone knows, I'm down to watch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My god he's got Stormwind Syndrome

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm almost 100% positive you could militia (or I guess any) creep the goblin labs on Twisted Meadow and hit level 3 at 3-4~ minutes if you lucked up and got the exp tome. But it doesn't seem to work in my version (I haven't updated in years and years and I likely won't because I have custom games I don't want ruined by reforged). It's probably for the best because lmao that's STUPID and I know they got rid of exp tomes at one point but I just want to confirm I'm not hallucinating it was possible.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yeah. There's no disincentive for dropping out so people derank, peace out when the load time is too long, or avoid matchups with players they dislike.

Why would you avoid matchups with players you dislike when you could bs them

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I've played it like 15 times today on patch 1.30.xxxxxxxx. I meant in an even older version. I'm almost positive there was a point where you'd get just enough for three but only if you got the xptome. It was insanely broken for Humans

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Khorne posted:

Homogenized races kinda suck in RTS games.

This is my biggest quibble with DE or I guess age2 in general.

jokes posted:

Ancient protector sneak attack was a fun one. They were pretty decent heavy infantry that didn’t affect supply cap so were kinda fun to use if you were rich, dumb, and/or bad.

This was an amazing strat in 4v4 RT

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 23, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It wasn't that hard to find the trees either if you just used attack move with air either lol.

Then blizz got rid of it entirely by introducing the timer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It was great all the different iterations of imbalanced bullshit. I remember gem of true sight, an item that completely nullified one of the blademasters skills could be purchased for like 100 gold at a shop

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ghouls used to be able to walk through enemy units when you clicked on a tree behind them because they're also harvesters so you could bypass the enemy meatshield and just start murdering their casters

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

To be fair giving elves tier one siege was probably the right move. They get a huge creeping advantage with ancients but pushes can easily kill you early and a human tower rush against close spawn on turtle rock was almost unbeatable at one point.

I can't believe I forgot goblin land mines, the closest thing to an instant win I think I've ever personally used in a strategy game of any kind. And early too! Like first creep camp, rush to enemy base, win. I don't know if they'd detonate on their own without anything walking over it so elves might have a chance but the other 3 are going to lose their entire gold line and probably their main or haunted gold mine. Seriously, open the editor, place them in the middle of a map and give it a shot. It's hilarious if it's still the same. It's a drat shame they're so broken; I'd love to see the items get switched up a bit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh yeah the hotd and black citadel used to not have a frost attack and instead did about twice the damage of a spirit tower while having the same cooldown. So it'd do about 60 dps. They were called death stars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There was a brief point where taverns were introduced where you could train both an altar hero and a tavern one in tier one. Also sea witch was amphibious so you could potentially creep with say an AM + elemental + whatever while harassing their main from the water. It might not have made it to the release game but it was definitely in the some early version of tft

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was really bummed when wc3 didn't have naval units or oil. poo poo I think originally they weren't even going to have lumber as a resource.

I think they weren't even going to have base building because they said such and such percent of the time spent is "players building their bases". Turns out people really like building their bases. I honestly want to see the opposite universe wc3 just for a bit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A grunt is like a 200g investment and losing them prematurely just feels devastating

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

Especially when it's to bullshit like melee kiting.

How the gently caress did people deal before shops and Salves?

Tower creeping, turtling and mass casters lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did they ditch all that in coh2? I've watch some pro matches of that because the commentator is really good. It's pretty entertaining stuff but I can't stop from playing age2 long enough to give it a real go

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've watched a few water matches of total annihilation.

I like water maps on RA2 even if I know they're terribly balanced.

I also adore Age2 water maps especially hybrid maps but a lot of people hate them and I hate those that do :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does he mean the upkeep system? I don't have much of an opinion on it tbh. I'm not much a midgame or late game player so I've usually won or lost by the time it becomes relevant lol. At one point people would pull their workers off gold at higher upkeeps since they'd be getting less per 10 which honestly seemed kind of back asswards to me but I guess I can see a sort of logic?

As for food itself I very much appreciate that attacking the supply is a viable strategy. The macro and eco management takes a backseat in the game in favor of creeping and combat compared to other near contemporary games. Unlike say sc or aoe2 where workers are both extremely plentiful, important and vulnerable, workers in wc3 feel comparatively beefy and protected with wisps in a mine on one extreme and acolytes on gold on the other. With good base building they can be fairly safe so if you want to chip away at their macro sometimes going after their supply is the way to go. I know levelling Beastmaster to 3 so the hawk could attack and going after orc burrows with the magic attack was a thing for a while

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The daily automated (?) tournaments were a really good idea and it's a shame nobody's copied them as far as I can tell. Then again I don't think there's anything quite like Bnet anymore at least when it comes to a place you can just idle and chill in a channel with 100k players on various other games. I've been playing the hell out of aoe2de lately and the game is much better than the conquerors but I actually miss the zone warts and all. It felt like a community.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's bears

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Whats' the combined dps of two shadow wolves? It's got a cooldown of 1 so it's easy to find the dps but I have no clue how to calculate in the critical strike

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

How is the speed irrelevant? If two units each deal 100 damage and one attacks every second and the other every two, is the first not double dps

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it's not a high base damage to double but it adds up because they attack quick and there's two of them often. Even level 2 wolves sicced on an intel hero will route them pretty quick even if they dont kill them outright.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A *lot* of experience. Used to be two level ones were equal to one grunt iirc

Yeah, I liked fighting the seer first back in those days especially with UD

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's like informing someone about a death

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Boofy posted:

i still have a flash drive with a ton of my favorite old maps, including some real weird ones. every once in a while i think about going back in and doing a game of dark deeds 2 or parasite, but then i remember how blizzard destroyed an 18 year old game.

one old custom map i remember being particularly bizarre was called dawn of the dead, but it was different from regular zombie survival maps in a few bizarre ways. like you were in a mall, and zombies were trying to break in... but it was simultaneously a life of a peasant map, and you had to get jobs even during the apocalypse, and i mean like regular lovely mall jobs like working at the food court. also, the mall was packed with peasant NPCs, and if one died they could respawn as a zombie, so if you felt like being a dickhead you could go into a corner and shoot some guy and before you knew it there would be zombies everywhere.

Aren't flash drives volatile? Might wanna go backing them up just to be truly safe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's shocking and almost unbelievable that they could gently caress it up. Add a few more tavern heroes, or maybe another so each race has 5. Tweak a few old heroes since lmao at seeing some of them ever in non gimmick or non-twitch requests. New items, another couple mercs at each tileset's camp. New creeps, new or revised camps. New upgrades, loving anything!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's not quite BW but I do consider it a very well balanced game which is an impressive feat considering the number of factions and how different they play; there's definitely uphill battles but rarely did it feel unenjoyably difficult or even impossible. It's possible they just didn't want them to gently caress with it and ruin a good thing.

Still think they should have added new poo poo. Mixing up the meta is a great thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Elephunk posted:

I thought we were just talking about how HvU is impossible for H

I haven't played online in years :shrug:

In that case not fixing the meta seems a bad move indeed!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Khorne posted:

orc vs ud was the free loss for the UD player to the point of being >70% win rate for orc in pro matches. One of the most broken matchups in any RTS for a lot of TFT's life.

Being not a pro maybe a very generous intermediate, OvU felt pretty lopsided orc until you hit like super late game when it swung the other way. But that was my take and IANAP

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

They tried to resurrect the game and look how that turned out

Did they though?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If the blizzard updater updates my wc3 without my permission is there any way I could play some old customs using old patches? There's a couple I'd consider standalone great games on their own or at least the basis for one and I'd love to have them for a reference if I ever get the resources to fool around with that sort of thing. I know reforged screwed up a bunch in that regard

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

Not unless you can find a way to downgrade your install, which means I hope you still have your CD and original key. :(
Diablo II is in a similar place.

It feels like my game is being held hostage lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Blizzard so terrible lol. I do like that sc/2 are free so I'll give them the smallest of props. I've been enjoying 2; I don't know why everyone hates it. Controls well