Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a shame wow blew up - we woulda had wc4 by now. though considering their output since wc3 i don't know if that would've been a good or bad thing.

Its sad because it feels like the RTS genre is dead at the moment but I am sure that will change in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

WoW is still alive and reasonable healthy, Hearthstone going strong.

Honestly Warcraft 4 would be easy to make tons of money off of. Just make something like SC2's co-op mode but as a main pillar of the game, with campaigns and competitive co-op, and with lots of vanity items and extras to blow money on.

someone once said Warcraft should be the experimental stuff and Stacraft should be the refinement of mechanics from Warcraft which was kinda a neat idea I thought.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I know it's wishful thinking but I want to see if Blizzard can springboard this into War4 because the RTS genre could use a shot in the arm.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Paying a couple of bucks for a 5% chance of crazy hats for your orcs, or you might get a 1% Death Knight skin, or 60% just some new unit quotes.

Oh god this is exactly what would happen, statement retracted!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zinkraptor posted:

So this comes up a lot but was this ever really a thing? World of Warcraft was an absolute unfinished mess at launch and, from what I've heard of Warcraft III (mostly from a friend's recent playthrough), it sounds like that game is kind of janky as well - although that could just be the game showing its age.

I'm not very familiar with Diablo II or Starcraft, so maybe that's where it comes from?

What people tend to forget is that Blizzard would provide YEARS of support for games and had a super great bases that needed to be tweaked but their games were just so much more thought out than most games on the market at the time. Sure WoW was a tad...buggy? at launch but they literally reshaped the MMO genre and the capabilities of open world gaming and given the size of the product some bugs were inevitable. I mean, think about how big WoW was/is at time of launch and the care they put into making zones and making them feel different.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Kerrigan's reaction to a lifetime of control and manipulation by the Confederacy, Mengsk, and the Overmind was to become queen bitch of the universe and personally I think that's feminist praxis.

My only wroblem with Kerrigan (and be extension Arthas and Sylvannas's) story is that the Zerg (and Forsaken) are implied to make you evil via their science/magic and transformation. On the one hand, yah they are evil with their evil actions but also...they are being manipulated and hand their minds warped by the inherently evil thing that is most definitely going to make you evil.

My point is that Arthas story is the 5th time Blizzard did the THIS GOOD GUY IS CORRUPTED angle and I didn't like it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

They already pulled that one in brood war, though.

Also, SC 1 the Zerg kinda won even if they didn't "win."

Again, Blizzard does corrupt hero/bad guy wins a lot to the point where it gets a tad annoying.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's been a while. What's the twist at the end of D2?

Poor marius has been talking to Tyrael And whoops turns out it's Baal and you gave him the Soulstone.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
How early was it in War3 where Nigh Elves where super broken because glaives like did tons of damage against everything and starfire was the best hero power?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This stuff kinda sounds like if it happened today with social media it would have caught backlash for how messed up the meta is.

Maybe but on the other hand, I think the longer times in metas allowed for new strategies and better balancing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I have to this day not seen or heard of anyone attempting PVP in D3

Didn't they try to make D3 PVP a big selling point, making an arena out of it?

I think D3 was in a weird spot for dueling because it was left over from D1 and D2 and PvP was a selling point for games at the time. I hope Diablo 4 drops it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Diablo 3 is the worst video game sequel I've ever played but you're right they likely mean financially.

Diablo 3 is an average game made worst by the fact that Diablo 2 is a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Med School posted:

Yeah now days I can clearly see that Metzen and Samwise are low tier artists. But when I was 9 all that hit me in a completely different way.

The manuals had the right amount of works building to get a little kid super invested in the world. Looking back, those books elevated the those games higher than the sum of their parts and mechanics. I mean you couldn’t even select more than 9 loving units.

So what you're saying is that Blizzard should make War4 with an $80 manual.

(also ignore all of WoW post Wrath)