Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

also sometimes there will just be a bunch of unmoving orbs hovering over the ground, presumably where a battle took place in the past.

Kith posted:

Edit2: Can TOWA vids linger a bit more on Gold Lost To Upkeep tab? Seeing multiple five-figure numbers there is like doing drugs.

yeah sorry i try to but i usually forget. i'll make a point of it. wish this info was exposed in the replay like it is in SC2 replays! i don't have high hopes for net new features in reforged tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i think that’s a comparison someone posted a few months ago that’s like “blizzcon 2018 culling of stratholme preview VS what the game looks like currently”. but i’m just now noticing the 6-wide command card in the blizzcon preview. what’s the deal with that

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

clan towa does it again...this time winning a 6 hour and 12 minute mountaineer on Upper Kingdom!

here's the replay, here's the vid. there are chapter timestamps in the youtube description

the highlights:
  • (312:44 / All) Dobz: What is the pleasure of buying a game and being hours just looking at it?
  • they watched my stream from hour 2 to hour 5, when i turned it off to make secret preparations
  • at one point i forced a blunder on their part by turning off my stream's facecam to fake an afk
  • they posted a link from a malicious link shortener in my twitch chat and got iggy's home IP address, then ddos'd him out of the game
  • they continually threatened to keep iggy's home internet offline, at one point promising it'd be months
  • when iggy shittalked them via discord PMs they kept killing his home internet
  • they carefully hunted down almost every mechanical critter we made (only missed one)
  • they spent about 4 hours carefully probing our defenses, trying to do whatever damage they could
  • they thought that iggy's record (in the beta lol) would get a loss even if our team won
  • they claimed that my twitch account/vod of this game got mass reported by "around 30 ppl"
  • they claimed they'd "upload the game to replayers" and tell "saibot", a roc player who is supposedly now a "blizzard forums moderator"
  • we killed their heroes and won the game by telling the main enemy player to google "Bifocal reverse gilderbase" and then attacking when he was tabbed out

(he blocked me and deleted his messages after we won)

quote:

(120:26 / All) Timbx: i am upset

(310:26 / All) Dobz: just for you to know
(310:31 / All) Dobz: around 30 ppl reported your stream
(310:37 / All) Dobz: For user afk
(310:42 / All) Dobz: sorry about that

(317:31 / All) Dobz: at least one of you is not getting a win
(317:34 / All) Dobz: thats a win for us ^^
(317:38 / All) BEARAND: entire team gets win haha
(317:48 / All) Dobz: you will check afterwards ^^
(317:54 / All) Dobz: maybe next week
(318:00 / All) Dobz: when he gets connection again :D
(319:04 / All) Dobz: Being curious sometimes is not a good thing

(321:14 / All) Dobz: It seems you got more 5 reports on your last video
(321:20 / All) Dobz: upload it before is too late

(324:25 / All) Dobz: I will even upload it on replayers! ^^
(324:32 / All) BEARAND: nice
(324:32 / All) Dobz: That way ppl can spot you ^^
(324:44 / All) Dobz: Already showed saybot
(324:57 / All) Dobz: saibot*
(325:24 / All) BEARAND: is that some old pro?
(325:37 / All) Dobz: old pro that now is an assistant at blizzard
(325:43 / All) Dobz: also moderator on blizz foruns

(360:06 / All) Dobz: Did you try rush militias on this Warcraft?
(360:24 / All) BEARAND: google "Bifocal reverse gilderbase"
(360:26 / All) BEARAND: we invented
(360:39 / All) Dobz: Ok, give me a sec
(361:35 / All) Dobz: https://www.wcreplays.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99599&p=2187627&viewfull=1
(361:39 / All) Dobz: This one?
(363:21 / All) Dobz: thats not nice
(363:24 / All) Dobz: i was checking

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the combination of no win record and Reforged being fully AT vs. RT means the vast majority of our opponents have extremely limited patience for our bullshit. our average gamelength on most maps in the beta mappool is around 30 minutes for gods sake. shameful

anyway iirc we weren't sure they were an Arranged Team until well into the post-perch-assault stage.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

one of my favorite parts of this game is doing something embarrassing to a player once, then later on doing the same thing and getting the exact same result

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

drat wish i had found this post when it was fresher

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Kith posted:

1) Why is the combination of Human/Orc preferable to just Human/Human?

it's not totally critical to have an orc (human towers are way better in almost all situations, mostly thanks to masonry), but they do bring some nice-to-haves like bats and lightning orbs. bats are a nice get-out-of-jail-free card if the enemy applies a threatening amount of heavy air, and lightning orbs are the best orb for our economic attrition pick off single units style.

quote:

2) How important are Orb types?
moderately. in tight games, getting a lucky purge with orc orb can really change things, so as per above that's the best one for us, but elf and UD orbs are fine too. now that fire orb has been upgraded from "nearly useless" to "occasionally helpful" it's no longer a last-resort-only orb. 9 or 12 heroes all attacking with orc orbs is insane though. permanent purge

quote:

3) What are good Neutral Heroes to use for Towa Tactics?
alchemist and DR are the absolute best if you can get them to six since their ultimates are Unit Deleters. alch's AoE heal and DR's life drain were both buffed recently too. pit lord's AoE is just another blizzard, which is great for antisiege. panda is another good antisiege AoEer, but he's very weak until at least level 3 and has mana issues. naga can be a helpful second or third hero for frost arrow unit/hero sniping. tinker is a fun second or third hero for the cluster rockets, which have been buffed.

quote:

4) What stats are most important for certain heroes? (He noticed that Mantles of Intelligence always go to the MK).
yeah, int for the mana hogs like MK, paladin, TC, SH, panda. having more storm bolts or shockwaves makes you sooo much stronger. agility for the DPSers like blademaster, warden, DH if you have them, or agi to MK if not (more attack speed means more bashes). usually strength heroes aren't doing a ton of DPS, so str tomes on nerd heroes for the +HP is nice. big str items on strength heroes can be good, since they're usually going to be tanking

quote:

5) Are there any Mercenary units you'd ever consider using?
big dragons (from roosts) can be a total gamewinner (or backup plan for if the towers fall) if you can get the critical mass. they can also beat you pretty badly if the enemy gets the dragonmass, so getting them just to deny is also a good plan. other than that, not really. forest troll shadow priest might be situationally helpful the same way it's used in pro matches (very early game) but we don't really do that. iirc the Makura lobster guys you can hire on the naga ocean jungle island tileset have entangle, but it can't be cast on heroes? maybe edge case useful in an antisiege against mortars but we haven't done it.

quote:

There is also no better late game assassin than the Blademaster so when it's a hero vs hero stalemate you always want a Blademaster on your side.
blademaster is still great for mobility, scouting, and unit snipes, but since the nerfs (wind walk has a forced cooldown upon breaking it, and items no longer count towards crits) he's less of a hero killing monster lategame than he used to be.

if you're like me and weren't really paying attention to the balance changes that started in 2018, you can scroll through the patch changelogs (1.29 through 1.31.1) here

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

matchmaking is all hosed up on launch day but i can forgive that. what is more amazing is that there is still no ability to View Profile, for winrates or anything else.

my first game turned out great though! i happened to be matched with a noob i played one other time four years ago. good chats

quote:

(0:19 / All) BEARAND: hi
(0:33 / All) NickSeitzer: hi
(0:37 / All) BEARAND: spirit homecare right?
(0:40 / All) BEARAND: :D
(0:50 / All) NickSeitzer: lol looked me up that fast?
(0:53 / All) BEARAND: no
(0:55 / All) BEARAND: we've played before
(1:29 / All) NickSeitzer: omg
(7:41 / All) BEARAND: do you remember our last game
(8:15 / All) NickSeitzer: nope
(13:38 / All) NickSeitzer: are u serious? we played b4?
(24:11 / All) BEARAND: (69:11 / All) nickseitzer: gay
(24:14 / All) NickSeitzer: lol
(24:18 / All) BEARAND: (69:22 / All) nickseitzer: homo
(24:21 / All) BEARAND: very rude...
(24:24 / All) NickSeitzer: LOL
(24:34 / All) NickSeitzer: honestly might have been my buddy
(24:38 / All) NickSeitzer: he played my account back then too
(24:46 / All) NickSeitzer: i normally don't say "homo"
(24:49 / All) BEARAND: (53:12 / All) nickseitzer: yes, spirit homecare
(24:55 / All) BEARAND: (53:27 / All) nickseitzer: that's the medical office I manage
(24:59 / All) NickSeitzer: oh... maybe not then

Zaphod42 posted:

This is whatever the opposite of polished is, holy poo poo

The game runs at 144hz but the character models.... I swear they're animating at like 20fps. The game camera moves smoothly, but the character models are super loving stuttery.

The UI is awkward at best. Some of the new art is good... but everything just feels very thrown together.

YOU CANNOT START AN OFFLINE COMP STOMP MATCH. To play vs AI, you have to reserve an online lobby, which the servers are having issues right now. Awesome work!

good catch, this is a "known" issue (blizz hasn't acknowledged afaik). bizarrely, reforged worldedit doesn't chop up the animations and it looks good, but as you say, ingame animations are badly interpolated or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigIq38iRaQ

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/please-remove-the-ingame-animation-fps-cap-from-units/13010/23

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/animations-seem-locked-to-60hz/12785

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

clan towa will be returning...whenever they let us

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

yes, if you have a version that’s integrated with the modern bnet launcher (i forget whether this started in 1.28 or 1.29), the launcher will automatically nuke your classic install when it “updates”. if you have a pre-bnet2 version, you can just not upgrade and enjoy single player. i also have a 1.30 PTR version installed that works just fine offline

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

OK if you want a break from yelling about companies being bad we're still playing sweet games. other than the classic graphics desyncs i think the actual game itself (once you're inside a game and playing) works just great. and most importantly there are billions of noobs just waiting to call you slurs because to them, towers are unforgivably dishonorable

here are two games that were fun stomps:

this one on Timbermaw had a nonstop action final act which must have been incredibly embarrassing for them (replay)

this one on Upper Kingdom had repeated sneak dives by big chim flotillas attempting to...kill mains? (replay)

and here were two games that weren't exactly super close, but involved a lot more "trying":

on Thunder Lake (my new favorite 3s map), Mata directs us to attempt an experimental choketower. Yes there are zeps but it should be fine. pretty much nonstop fights (replay)

a totally classic Golems In The Mist. it feels like 2007. it's good for your soul. and they're zep dropping in your main (replay)

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i think that's a UI fuckup, i have shadows in my classic mode. example

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Floor is lava posted:

important question

can you rotate the camera 45 deg while spectating someone else doing it as well to flip the game's camera?

what do you mean "spectating"? in war3, camera movement is client-side only - it's not an ingame "Action" so it doesn't get sent to other players or recorded in replays*. in a live game, observers/referees don't have any kind of autofollow option, and when viewing replays, "Auto-Camera" just tries to intelligently place the camera where the selected player is currently issuing actions.

*as far as we know. this was definitely the case in classic, but they've added some new actions to the replay format that i believe nobody knows about. the suspicion is that they're mostly related to the new natives added to worldedit, but there's at least one that shows up in melee games so idk. i feel like it's not camera movement though, because it'd be a very common action if that was recorded.

all of that to say: No

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the games keep rolling in

i have the flu so i was up at 5am eastern to play some nice morning games with my eurofriends. first, we had a fastclick stranglethorn where there was nonstop action straight from heroes coming out until main mines ran out. this is the game the video iggy linked above is from. Replay | VOD

then we had a nice hourlong birthday bash for our birthday boy Mata. we had races unbecoming of a perch and the enemy DK got the blink dagger so we were stuck on the ground on this upking. but it was still a delight. kind of the inverse of the first game - that was nonstop tier 1 early game play all game, this one was 30 straight minutes of lategame antisiege until their spirits were broken. Replay | VOD

for this next one i have to rewind a bit because i don't think i posted it here. a couple weeks ago, Iceberg-Slim and i had an extreme 2s game on Centaur Grove versus a decent duo. it went for 90 minutes and we nearly lost it multiple times but eventually pulled it off at the very last second. i'm talking level 10 warden and death&decay killing everything while we repeatedly fall back to backup tower blocks. the talkative guy on the other team, cdawg3x, took offense to me calling him an owned racist noob and after they lost he chatted with me for a while about how it's actually good and correct to say racist stuff.

anyway, this evening we're queuing for 4s and i notice that cdawg is doing so as well. what do you know, we ran into him! this game had some of the best chat we've gotten in a while. Replay | VOD

quote:

(29:12 / All) Vee: adding every one of you to my tk list
(29:24 / All) Vee: i am murk for the rest of my life if ur on my team
(29:28 / All) Vee: just for being a loving jackass

oh yeah we didn't VOD it but this game was pretty close and we supposedly got reported for our "tact"

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Warcraft 3 is so loving good

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Telebite posted:

When a VPN is enabled (for example by using Open VPN), it takes over the entire LAN on a computer, so that all Internet traffic (web, bittorrent, anything that uses Internet) goes through the VPN when the software is running.

one of my favorite things is when someone tries to be pedantic but is just blatantly incorrect

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

they didn’t remove LAN, just log out from the main menu and you can host LAN games. the real fuckup is the classic graphics desync. there are some (unknown) events that get handled differently by classic vs reforged graphics-running clients, and that results in an instant desync. when this happens on battle.net, the participating clients “vote” on which fork of the game state to continue with, and the vote-losers get kicked. if it’s 50-50 it appears to be a coin flip.

and they didn’t play the last game on tft, they just switched the host and obs to classic graphics. the vote situation described above is what happens when there’s a neutral server hosting the game. when it’s LAN (like dreamhack was), there’s a single source of game state truth: the host client. the host (and the observer, obviously) were using reforged graphics while the players were using classic. when a desync occurs in that situation, the host always wins, the desynced player just gets kicked, no voting. this is what happened to thorzain twice. he’s gotta be pissed about that...he did not look happy after the series

there was another notable desync on day 2 - neutron vs lawliet (NE mirror) on EI, lawliet tried to set up an AoW creep at his merc camp but neutron successfully pulled the merc creeps who killed the AoW, then lawliet desynced. after like 20 minutes of deliberation, they agreed to replay the beginning of the game identically to the desynced game. weird stuff

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

TGG posted:

Ok why the hell can I not just play a 1v1 against comps without making a drat custom online lobby? I keep wanting something to be alright about this remake but what the gently caress. I'm in a lobby waiting for other players to load when it's just me and the loving ai!

i get what you're saying. but you can make a LAN game by logging out (open the game, open menu, log out). or you can do a whole convoluted thing to do a single player vs AI game.

Unrelated! we played a game tonight against our new nemesis cdawg3x (story here). it was a super close one (vod, replay) that i very much wanted to win. i just got a heart rate monitor - check out the correlation between my heart rate and my APM during this adrenaline-filled high stakes game:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the game was broken in a new way for a few days earlier in the week when some (longish?) games would be suddenly ended by the server shortly after the first player leaves (e.g. one, two). but it seems that's stopped for now so we're still building towers!

here's a Twilight Ruins from today where we have to fight against two full control groups of dragonhawks: replay | VOD

then we played three Bifocal Reverse Gilderbases in a row. well the first one didn't end up being a BRG. but each of these are special delights for us and horrible experiences for our enemies. replay 1, 2, 3 | VOD

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

alchemist baby. that would annoying as hell to play against

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

two games...one map...two great games

hero hunting vs. some depraved tav-ressing item addicts: replay | VOD

a heroic last stand, but is it enough? replay | VOD

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Eregos posted:

Peon says 'work work' with a lower tone of voice now for no reason.

i thought you were a crazy person for convincing yourself of something weird like this but i checked and it's true. Work Work is played back slower in reforged. lol

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Frustrated posted:

Did I never notice it before or did Blizzard redo the player colors? Some of them are so close to each other it's practically impossible to tell which players units are which. Purple is especially bad.

which purple 🥴

yes, a couple years ago when they increased the player limit from 12 to 24, they added 12 new colors, and with Reforged they enabled them in ladder games. you can see them all here, including their official names

some of the colors are unpleasant or similar, yeah. but if the complaint is regarding competitive play, that’s what the ally color modes are for

this is also a hard problem i think - they didn’t just poo poo the bed on this one completely. 24 distinct team colors! that’s a lot to come up with.

my only serious complaint is that Snow is very close to white (your own units’ color) on the minimap. but again, if i wanted to minmax my solo record i’d just turn on boring rear end ally colors

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

if you have a roc and/or tft war3 key associated with your bnet account, you can download and play reforged through the launcher (on classic graphics only)

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Oh that’s awesome! I still have my original WC and FT keys on BNet. So is there any point at all in getting reforged?

only if you like the HD graphics/want to play the "new" campaign (barely changed)/want to earn icons&skins. i believe you can earn melee win icons without owning reforged, but you need HD reforged to collect campaign related icons. there is a new map setting in worldedit that lets you set a custom map to SD/HD (normal), SD only, or HD only, but idk what happens if you try to join an HD only map with a "basic" reforged client.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

If I could buy Cartooned and not also Remastered, I'd get Cartooned. But as Blizzard is run by lovely loving assholes, I will have to satisfy myself with Carbot's animations (which are fun and also the punchlines are funny).

i thought you had to be at least 13 to sign up for the forums?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

All that is old is new again

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

twisted meadows goblin lab has 395xp and toxp is 100 and level 3 is 500. so you would have needed to also kill a skeleton or a little greenie or something

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

have you found the highperch "dota replay" easter egg?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

highperching, mountaineering, towering, etc. are a viable strategy mostly because of upkeep so i've never minded it :)

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

oh i thought this had been posted here but i guess not

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/blizzard-absorbs-activision-studio-after-dismantling-classic-games-team

evidently the classic games team was dissolved in the fall

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

totally agreed that reforged hosed up a ton of stuff in amazing ways, but worth noting that for years before reforged you could not play 3s or 4s AT. it was not possible due to a tiny playerbase and a queue system that basically discouraged searching, and then for a while before reforged they actually fully broke AT serverside.

now it is possible to play AT, both technically and in terms of playerbase. we haven’t played for almost a year now for various reasons (including frustration caused by some gameruining bugs like Stun Hex, Bridge Desync, and Serverquit) but that was a big deal for clan towa. we got a solid few months of wigs out of it which was wonderful after years of almost nothing

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

FWIW they seem to have solved the desync issues at least

yeah i think they took care of that in early 2020. but remember when the Bridge Desync ruined a major tournament

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

in 2007 i was making beer money by cheesing 25 wins (lossbotting to rock bottom MMR and then firelord tower rushing) and selling those accounts so noobs could play in whatever the main dota league was that required an icon

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

theres a new patch and you can zoom WAY out

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the rumor is that it’s because of the Honda Grom. idk for sure tho

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Med School posted:

So I am playing classic through the reforged client because I never bought reforged but have the old keys on my account from back in the day

So the map editor is history now, there is no way to access it?

click Launch Editor in the bnet launcher. right under the big war3 logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

fwiw mata roasted me for how low octane some of those clips were back in 2008