Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jowj posted:

I'm the loving KING of sheep tag and FF before they had stupid loving rules about no teching players in a team and poo poo. now i want to play both of these games lets make this happen sometime please, thanks
Sheep Tag is easily my favorite UMS in any Blizzard game, but the main problem with it is that being a sheep is way more fun than being a wolf and nobody ever wanted to be a wolf. Oh and games tended to either be over in 2 minutes if the wolves were actually competent, or they took an eternity with idiot wolves never having a chance.

What would be cool would be a sheep tag where you switch sides between multiple rounds L4D-style, and where there was a victory condition the sheep could hit to end the game faster if they were tremendously ahead (e.g. a "victory tower" that's really big, expensive, and fragile).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

This looks good. If this map isn't locked I just had an idea for a mode you could play with friends: just have one dude control all the wolves. Then only one guy has to suffer, so to speak, plus it makes being a wolf more interesting and reduces the total number of players you need for a viable game.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 2, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

A friend of mine worked on a four new races map back in the day. It had Naga, Draenei, can't remember the others, but it was pretty cool. Old war3 guys might remember him as he at one point had 3 accounts in the top 20 across USEast and USWest 1v1: Politik/Exigent/1979

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Vanilla War3's balance was really awful. People massed casters, NE players all made ancients to rush, creeping was super dominant, and people teleported at the first hint of danger. I remember a game towards the end where each player would teleport away the instant the other showed up to attack, eventually they went "meet in mid and fight?" and did so. You know there's something wrong with your strategy game when the fights have to be consensual.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Defghanistan posted:

It's not really worth discussing vanilla war3,there were massive changes to the combat system (armor and damage types) that ruined the "all caster" gameplay in TFT.

War3 vanilla was a complete and total mess.
I know, my point was that things actually WERE "too bad" for a while. But it's somewhat understandable considering the nature of the game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

WarCraft: Armies Of Azeroth - StarCraft II mod: http://youtu.be/YcioVsilAdw

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So what was the 6th faction meant to be? I know the 5th would have been the Burning Legion but I never heard a solid answer on the 6th.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

War3-in-SC2 mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--FxGGW3aY0

Looks pretty good.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Are there any good co-op customs that would work for playing with a six year old? Starcraft 2's co-op mode was a little too complicated for my son for him to participate fully, I think something simpler for mouse practice is in order.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

little munchkin posted:

run footman run might be good
Is that the same thing as Run Panda Run? Cuz from what I remember that map was hard as hell even with a bunch of people who were reasonably skilled at Warcraft.

Maybe are there any TDs that were easy/had difficulty settings? Doesn't necessarily have to be winnable by a 6 year old as long as we would be able to get fairly deep into it before dying.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

There are some very impressive SC2 maps. Imagine how great it could have been if Blizzard hadn't screwed up the entire custom game ecosystem.
The interface seems fine now at least. In fact the whole bnet interface is pretty drat good now. The only things I hate are the chat system (wish you could separate channels more) and the lack of published stats like War3 had.

edit: I miss the war3-style tournaments too actually

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Prav posted:

no one wants to acknowledge it but mobas are RTS games
imo RTSes biggest problem as far as not being as big as MOBAs is that they're usually designed around 1v1 being the primary mode (e.g. balance is based on 1v1, 1v1 maps usually get the most attention from the devs and community, tournaments are 1v1, etc.). Just look at sports, the biggest team sports like football, soccer, and basketball are vastly bigger than the biggest individual sports like tennis or golf. People are social creatures, they like playing in a team. If Warcraft 4 is designed around 3v3 or 4v4 or something like that, the number of people playing 'standard'/ladder would skyrocket compared to War3/SC2.

Of course, it'd be a goddamn nightmare for eSports. Can be hard enough to track some players in Starcraft when they have a main fight + harass going on simultaneously, with 3v3 you could have 5 or 6 fights going on at once.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

time for a joke posted:

y'all talking about warcraft4 like wow didn't kill this IP
WoW is still alive and reasonable healthy, Hearthstone going strong.

Honestly Warcraft 4 would be easy to make tons of money off of. Just make something like SC2's co-op mode but as a main pillar of the game, with campaigns and competitive co-op, and with lots of vanity items and extras to blow money on.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder if they'll remove the 12-unit selection limit. They didn't for SCR, but the limit never felt integral to War3's balance the way it did for Brood War.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Pretty fuckin weird that the Orcish Horde had like two orc units (grunt and peon?) tho.
Also blademaster, far seer, shaman, and the rider part of the unit for raider, kodo beast, and wyvern.

It's actually considerably worse for humans, all they got are Pally, Archmage, peasant/militia, footman, and knight.

edit: It'd be cool if they reverted to the vanilla War3 names. Basically all the TFT name changes (catapult -> demolisher, wyvern rider -> wind rider, gyrocopter -> flying machine, steam tank -> siege engine) were bad. They must've just been in a bad naming funk at the time because they also planned to call the tavern the cantina until enough people complained on the beta message boards.

edit2: lol there's still some ancient crusty official page that says Cantina: http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/heroes.shtml

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 15, 2018

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Talkin bout Warcraft 2.
Ah whoops.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

When TFT first came out the consensus was that Beastmaster was poo poo because hey all his abilities (summons) can be countered with anti-magic spells. Then lo/io took the #1 spot on US East using him with NE because it turns out that anti-magic isn't really a concern when creeping, and when you combine him with moonwells you get an insane super-creeper. Then after taking #1 on US East he took the #1 spot on US West completely undefeated, the absolute madman.

Do people still use BM with NE? I remember he got nerfed a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There's a Sheep Tag 2 kickstarter out now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunawolfstudios/sheep-tag-2

The graphics look garbage, but talking to the devs on reddit they seem to have a good head on their shoulders for the problems Sheep Tag had in War3.