Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

It's unfortunate that Blizzard becoming such a mainstream juggernaut put an end to this side of their stories. Kerrigan winning in Brood War, Arthas' arc, the ending of Diablo 2... It was a lot of fun to be the bad guy and I think a big appeal of Warcraft 3 is that you get to be the antagonist who kills some familiar characters and puts known locations to the torch.

It is cathartic to, every now and then, pop on some cheat codes and roll over the elf kingdom with a horde of skeletons in that one undead mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have fond memories of watching replays posted in the Warcraft 3 thread back in the day, and I'm glad that's still happening!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's like when you call a big guy "tiny"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Video games are movies with player characters

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I seem to remember blunt forcing my way through WC1 by just building a lot of ranged units and baiting enemies into walking into them, since they'd at least fire without you manually left clicking them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That’s really cool, thanks for posting it. I always wanted closure after frozen throne, but didn’t play wow when that was current, (or, at all, now) and never had the patience to go back and find which corner of obsolete content it was hidden in.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hate the new paladin portrait on an extreme level.

He looks like a cop, which I guess is appropriate, but still

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I simply want to stop in for a moment to thank you all for your posts so I can better understand exactly how bad Blizzard managed to screw this up in every possible way.

Same, frankly; I was looking forward to this enough that even with the bad reviews I might have bought it if it weren't for you folks explaining exactly how much of a waste of money and HD space that would have been

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

SC2 co-op basically saved the game as a casual thing that most people really play that often. It's a wonder it took them so long to come up with it when people have been running low-stakes comp stomps in Starcraft since 1997. Cooperative is free of the APM emphasis and build order optimization stuff that doesn't interest most people.

The single player is also not bad gameplay-wise either.

Yeah, I like to run through the SC2 single player campaigns now and then. The story is garbo but they do a lot of fun stuff with the mission design to keep it interesting. Unless they ever make a good starship troopers game, SC2 is the best thing I have to scratch the men shooting at bugs itch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

D3 adventure mode is a great podcast game, for me, but that's probably actually a criticism compared to what the game is probably trying to do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, not really. They'd just have to ignore wow. And its not like they're adverse to retcons anyway, they've been all over the place since warcraft 2.

Yeah they can just have thrall go back in time or something, hell, they've done it at least once for wow already

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

At least Arthas got the distinction of getting a descent into madness before he grabs the unholy sword of ally slaying.

Yeah, I haven't played the campaign in a bit but he's already broken quite bad before he ever touches anything evil, hasn't he? Certainly he's a proper war criminal by the time he picks up frostmourne, but I don't think anything before then was corrupting him, he was just being a lovely dude.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like the way FF14 does it, which is that by the end of the base game's main story arc, you're cemented as the legendary invincible god-killing hero of ultimate legend, and from then onward everyone you meet trips over themselves to fear/respect you, and all group content is canonically established as you, the warrior of light, alongside 3-7 adventurers you've recruited to help. It does the DBZ thing of introducing villains with progressively higher power levels to present a threat to you, but within the lore you become and remain a huge deal to everyone in the world.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Papa, bring me fresh meat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

THAT'S MY SOULSTONE! I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If it had ever gone on sale, I'd probably have bought it and checked out the campaign out of sick curiosity, but even before I learned about exactly how bad blizzard is, $30 for that POS wasn't gonna happen. Now it's too late entirely

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pararoid posted:

Another year at full price. It certainly is an interesting way to keep people away from a game.

Has anyone else seen another failed game using this 'strategy'?

if the game had ever gone on sale to like $15 I'd have honestly bought it just to check out the campaign, but now I'm grateful that never happened

e: to be clear, i would not even play it for free now, the price is no longer the sticking point

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Somehow this patch is going to accidentally delete starcraft 2 from the blizz store or something

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I remember the starcraft manual being fun to read too yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I remember thinking the Uniracers manual for SNES was the funniest thing in the world when I was a kid, maybe I should track down a copy and see if it holds up. All I remember about it now is a joke trying to justify the "you move faster in the air" mechanic that was something like "planes are faster than cars, right? therefore,"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think that was cheating lol. For a lot of people it was probably one of the first meta things we've ever noticed in gaming or hell even other media

Yeah i think it was literally the only way to get the frequency (apart from looking up a guide and actually cheating), or at least the way that the game was encouraging you to do it. I was about to wonder what you were supposed to do if you bought a used copy with no case but we did have the internet then, didn't we

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If they ever do make a WC4, they should just do a timeloop thing where WoW didn't happen and we just build off of 3 instead

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

It really doesn't make the slightest sense to do otherwise, barring the occasional nod to it. WoW is so big and convoluted and long that anyone coming from older games and not wow would find themselves in functionally a completely new setting.

Honestly I've tried playing wow and I can't make heads or tails of what the story of that game is supposed to be. I joined late and the game has no interest in telling me what the story of anything but the current expansion is, i guess you just need a wiki at this point

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

They should just redo warcraft 3 :haw:

Announcing Warcraft 3 classic; preorder today for only $30 and get early access to the upcoming frozen throne: classic expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Being realistic isn't as fun because we all know what WC4 will actually be is a cell phone game riddled with micro transactions, if it gets made at all

exactly

we conjecture about WC4 because that is the only way that it will exist in any form