Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
As a respected member of the Clan TOWA "Broliance" gaming collective I'm proud to say we're still breaking new ground in this game, albeit slowly. Most recently we've found a way to get around the resource limitations you run in to if a game lasts long enough (and ours do). It's easy to get all the lumber you want by throwing a wisp at a tree and it'll harvest until the end of time. But what about gold? Once all the gold mines have run dry you can sell items, trade with allies, pillage from opponents, but you're still only moving a limited supply of gold back and forth. Our recent discovery, a variation on the classic unit prison technique, is a different story altogether!

Finding a 4v4 game is impossible these days so there aren't that many maps too choose from. So far only map is confirmed to work, (6)Highperch.w3x. Pick Orc, Night Elf and Human for your team. Open with the standard build, i.e make a chunk of towers in both choke points:

Behind the towers your goal is to have the Orc player make Kodo Beasts and Spirit Walkers as fast as possible. Don't make any units, focus all your resources on towers/Orc tech while harassing constantly with heroes to keep your opponents from creeping.

Around the time your Beastieries finish and Kodo production is under way you need to prepare a forest hideout. Order a Night Elf shop to snack on some nearby trees. Why?? You'll soon find out! Name your shop "Manny".

Rally your first Kodo(s) straight towards the middle creep camp(s) without hesitation. It's time to perform the most daring daylight Kodo/Pigman kidnapping you've ever seen! This is known around the industry as "securing the cargo":

Scurry the digesting Kodo back to your opening in the woods, and then shut the door behind it with a Spirit Walker:

And now... destroy the Kodo!

Did you see what happened? A confused Medicine Man emerged from the dying Kodo, forever trapped by an ethereal unit it cannot attack!

The Razormane Medicine Man is a special creep, with the ability to summon 2 Spirit Pigs for 100 mana. Killing a Spirit Pig will give you gold and experience. With the Medicine Man safely behind bars on your side of the map, all you have to do is wait for mana to regenerate, attack the Medicine Man once, kill the pigs, and then wait for mana to regenerate again! Congratulations, you now have infinite gold and experience (up to level 5)!

Of course, nothing in life nor wig is ever that easy. Eventually things might get too dangerous on the ground because your opponents pull something completely absurd.

Long time fans will already know what to do next... Go topside! Using another Kodo and some additional Spirit Walkers, there's no problem bringing your meal ticket along for the ride. Keep harvesting and fill your coffers!

Maybe that quick tutorial was a little bit confusing and didn't explain all the necessary steps thoroughly. Perhaps you're not convinced this is a viable strategy you can perform in a real ladder match. Hopefully this replay can disperse some doubts. It's the best example we've been able to perform so far, but there's more to come I'm sure of it! And as always, remember to have fun out there :)

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Cannon towers are bad, the only advantage siege damage has vs piercing is more damage against tanks. But they also have fortified armor that takes extra damage from tanks, so you'd have to theorycraft them behind guard/watch towers with heavy armor. Already you can tell it's never going to be practical compared to making an extra layer of normal towers that are useful against everything. Tanks have to stand still a long time to kill lvl 3 masonry, enough to kill them with AoE. If they're serious about tanking you browbeat the single hero noobs on your team to get pandas.

With ReplayKit you can watch 21 fully upgraded tanks run into a classic triple AoE team at the 43 minute mark.

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 5, 2016

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

uniball posted:

We tried to get a game together this afternoon. With no luck finding a suitable third, timg heroically offered to wood us from a laptop (replete with trackpad) over a cell tether. He didn't stay in the game for long, but that was fine as our opponents needed all the help they could get. If you like to watch the tower guys utterly embarrassing some eurotrash here are some clicks for you:

Those VODs contain some massive ownage in the first few minutes as the Orc and Human players TP themselves stuck inside their Orc base and lose everything and a half to three harassing heroes. But what they don't show is that the greatest ownages are the ones we lay on ourselves. Check out this nailed-down-tight opener from Undead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykZ3c01z4I

Right off the bat we have two ziggurats before altar, except the altar is a second crypt instead of an altar. Whoops cancel the crypt at 50% and make the altar, (the first crypt is idle this entire time at 7/30 food), whoops the DK is stuck behind the useless ziggurat. Unsummon the ziggurat, WHOOPS he forgets about unsummon and kills the ziggurat instead, then TPs to save his friend. WHOOOPS the DK teleports himself stuck yet again and has to kill another food building to escape. Whoopsie daisy oh no, he doesn't finish the job and BEAR_AND easily claims last hit and the experience for killing the burrow.

Cherish these moments, in the end they're all we will have left.

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 11, 2016

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

Fanatic posted:

[...] I can't find games now :(

I see the RT experience has vastly improved over the years!

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

It's still backlogged with July's games but hopes are we'll have a few months of history to work with soon. Then we can optimize our search efforts by mapping out the most active hours of the week, checking the online state of other prolific teams etc.

Yes, we take these gimmick games seriously. Not so much the games themselves, but everything around it is important stuff.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

Storing some initial game state + player actions is the correct way to do replays, and therefore how every game does it. Starcraft did not have replays on release, they hacked it on later, and never implemented a version check. This happened to work out fairly well because years later Brood War had such a long active lifespan without any balance changes, but at the time it was definitely frustrating to gear up to watch a sick reep and slowly realize you've "desynced" and none of the player actions made sense anymore.

The real flaws in Warcaft 3's replays are not being able to watch them online, and not storing the map inside the replay. I'm guessing this was a file size decision but it got really annoying when tournaments started making custom maps with sponsor logos and it was impossible to track down the exact right one.

Starcraft 2 then went the extra mile of keeping all the old patch data and rolling back to the correct version when watching old replays. These days you can get very close to the same level of convenience with WC3 by just downloading ReplayKit

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

I had to download a 13 GB client, and I forgot to copy my CustomKeys.txt so it was mouse only, but other than that I found some similarities between this brand new reforged experience and the game we played 10 years ago https://clips.twitch.tv/GlutenFreeBraveMinkFeelsBadMan

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

The future https://clips.twitch.tv/VictoriousSullenVanillaHeyGuys

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Are peeps leaving because they're bored or got ground out of all their resources?

Lose their big army, realize they lost so much gold to upkeep they can't instantly remake it, and now our heroes are high level enough to take them head on.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

quote:

[36:20.271] <all> Simian#1618: I can see this 15 year old game still needs some balance changes lol
[36:25.186] <all> BEARAND#1604: what do you suggest?
[36:38.534] <all> BEARAND#1604: buff headhunters, nerf heroes?
[36:42.740] <all> Simian#1618: nerfing the paladins immune for one, eliminating immune on teleport scrolls for 2
[36:54.232] <all> BEARAND#1604: lol
[36:57.970] <all> TIMG4STRok#1212: it's hard to click in this game
[37:00.191] <all> Asmoline#1576: the teleport is pretty dumb :P
[37:05.200] <all> Simian#1618: actually having to take a risk with your units vs "oh im in trouble, warp out"

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

Paladin portrait no longer looks like Uther, or anything that should exist in a just universe

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah okay they handed off development to some mobile game studio and then they in turn made some mobile game graphics, but that's entirely missing the point of Reforged: Arranged Team and Random Team matchmaking is combined now. Which means you can bring a friend and search for 4v4, effectively making it a 2v4 game. Dynamic gametype with excellent results so far.

Edit: Remember to play with classic graphics not just because they're nicer to look at, but also because female death knights are invisible (and unclickable) which adds to the challenge. Tower crews have dwarven infrareds though don't worry!

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 25, 2019

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks, there's an important legacy to uphold on the AoH but some of the text colors got lost along the way.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh hey, they put the editor and customs in. Anyone seen if they did much with either of those?

All I know is they've been progressively adding data to the map file format but I have no idea what it's for.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

If you are reading this post then Nunoh is a liar and a coward. Fight me IRL on the internet

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

I had to keep nagging him to turn his rent-a-DoS service back on, so in the end I think it was only about 20 minutes in total before he ran out of Monero or whatever.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

I don't give a rat's butt for 1 second about my record or MMR or icon loot boxes, as long as the system
  • always finds team games for me and my friends to play
  • eventually compensates whatever it needs to compensate to make those games competitive affairs

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

If that gift was sick-rear end chain stuns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bAdjH7AzPY

Although it's definitely a shame we're not going to get proper matchmaking before the playerbase dives again. Just like PUBG before it, the most fun you can have with your friends online happens to also be a broken piece of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

I cannot possibly stress enough how THIS GAME RAN FINE UNTIL MAY OF LAST loving YEAR.

Man fix your computer this is getting sad