Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win?
This poll is closed.
Vishy Anand 3 2.26%
Magnus Carlsen 30 22.56%
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov 100 75.19%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

gret posted:

drat, what is it with chess politics that seems to attract kooks like this? (See also Sam Sloan and the like in the US).

By probability, we're looking at middle aged white Eastern European men who grew up and otherwise came of political consciousness during the crash phase of a multi-decade Soviet death spiral. Add to that the general paranoia that chess engenders along with the variously-sane anti-Soviet leanings of Fischer, Korchnoi, and Kasparov and I can certainly see how this type of nuttery comes about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hou Yifan now approaching Polgar's rating

Plays very well against Giri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZVeO-A7xAE

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
+36 :stare:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh wow, two days to the Olympiad (the world's 4TH largest sporting event!!), I had forgotten all about it.

Anand and Harikrishna are not playing on the Indian team? WTF?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anand hasn't played th Olympiad in ages, and I would've been surprised had he started now with a title match on the horizon. The rest of it, though, I don't know. It sounds like the national federation has a bit of an odd selection process.

I'm interested to see how the Canadian team does, since they're sending their far and away strongest team ever. Last year's top board, Bator Sambuev, is now the fourth board, and the top board is recent fed-switch Anton Kovalyov.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
And hey, the Russian women will be allowed to play after a brief scare over missing a registration deadline! I, for one, am shocked.

Hand Knit posted:

I'm interested to see how the Canadian team does, since they're sending their far and away strongest team ever. Last year's top board, Bator Sambuev, is now the fourth board, and the top board is recent fed-switch Anton Kovalyov.

That does look like a very solid team you guys are sending. I don't know if they still give out awards for each seed range like they used to, but that feels like a team that would have a shot at the second-tier prize (which I think was for the best result from a range that's something like 31st-60th seeds) if they do.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 31, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hope no one had money on the US team

@GMHikaru posted:

Can it get worse?? Now I apparently have no confirmed seat on the 2nd and can't even arrive in Tromso till the 3rd evening at the earliest.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

V for Vegas posted:

Hope no one had money on the US team

Haha, wow. Though the USA really shouldn't need him for the first couple rounds anyway.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Come on Rex let Hikaru borrow your private jet.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A few things I noticed today:

Csaba Balogh is board 1 on Hungary, despite being rated below Almasi, Rapport, and Polgar.
Norway 1 gave up 1.5 points to Yemen :lol:
Peru today played 3 GMs and 1 2100.
Slovakia's top board apparently resigned against a 2100 in a worse but equal material endgame.
Philippines forfeited on board 3 against Afghanistan so that they could rest Eugene Torre.
I'm assuming that there was a recording error and David Smerdon did not resign against a 1900 up a queen.
Presumably this also happened further down the bracket and Cameroon did not actually tie Tajikistan.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Norway drew both its matches today. Norway 2 upset Ukraine after a 2500 IM beat Ivanchuk, and Norway 1 was upset by Finland including Tomi Nyback drawing Carlsen in the white side of Ye Olde Slav.

It looks like Canada actually lost 2.5-1.5 to India, with yet another recording error on board 4. Board 3, Sasikiran - Gerzhoy, was a pretty spectacular destruction of a KID

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Gata Kamsky has thus far scored 1.5/4 against opposition with an average rating of 2463. I think it's fair to say he's not off to a great start.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
So is this a staged game: Zimbabwe-Togo: 1.e4 g5 2.d4 f6 3.Qh5 mate 1-0
Unrated beat 1900 player. Would there be any benefit to throw a game like this other than bribes? Will there be any consequences?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

Gata Kamsky has thus far scored 1.5/4 against opposition with an average rating of 2463. I think it's fair to say he's not off to a great start.

Pretty sure his game yesterday is going to make it into Dvoretsky's next collection of tragicomedies. Beautiful attacking game and then he just sort of forgot to win, and then was down an exchange.

Also, :siren: Aronian-Carlsen on table 3 :siren: Through 19 moves and Lev looks pretty good. e: And Kramnik-Topalov on board 2. Awesome.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Zteuer posted:

So is this a staged game: Zimbabwe-Togo: 1.e4 g5 2.d4 f6 3.Qh5 mate 1-0
Unrated beat 1900 player. Would there be any benefit to throw a game like this other than bribes? Will there be any consequences?

I read that the result was (like so many seem to be in the initial reporting) reversed: the rated player mated the unrated player in three moves, which is quite a bit more believable.

Edit: USA-Canada border war is fought to a 2-2 draw.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

Edit: USA-Canada border war is fought to a 2-2 draw.

Yeah, it was an interesting match. Sambuev murdered Akobian which will just sort of happen sometimes with him (see also: beating Morozevich at the Knockouts last year), and Kovalyov outplayed Nakamura but couldn't convert the (very difficult) endgame. Very good result for the Canadian team.

No more perfect records as the three 4-0 teams drew this round. A bunch of pretty surprising teams a +4 =1 -0 right now - Serbia (with a 2613 on board 1), Cuba (who upset Israel this round), and the Kasimdzhanov-led Uzbekistan team (that upset Ukraine).

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah, it was an interesting match. Sambuev murdered Akobian which will just sort of happen sometimes with him (see also: beating Morozevich at the Knockouts last year), and Kovalyov outplayed Nakamura but couldn't convert the (very difficult) endgame. Very good result for the Canadian team.

No more perfect records as the three 4-0 teams drew this round. A bunch of pretty surprising teams a +4 =1 -0 right now - Serbia (with a 2613 on board 1), Cuba (who upset Israel this round), and the Kasimdzhanov-led Uzbekistan team (that upset Ukraine).

You just never know about those Cubans - their league isn't quite as deep, but the stars could play anywhere if it weren't for the embargo.

Wait, that's baseball. In chess, it's cool to see them doing well, given their very solid players an the fact that they are the nation of Capablanca.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Interestingly, Cuba's average rating is almost the same as Israel's. I guess it's just that Dominguez doesn't have the same cachet as Gelfand, nor do Quesada Perez and Ortiz Suarez have the fame of Smirin and Sutovsky.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Tomorrow's pairings are up and it's Italy-Norway1 on board 3. Poor Magnus gets black against Aronian and Caruana on consecutive days.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Shankland beats Polgar to go to 7/7 with a 3196 rating performance. This was his first GM opponent, but still - a nice upset for him, and it would be awesome if he could snag a board 5 medal.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So Kirsan wins again. :smithicide:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

So Kirsan wins again. :smithicide:

Who would have thought that Kasparov's campaign strategy of "you're all loving idiots who are being bought off by the way America rulez" wouldn't work?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FIDE not being able to attract a single bid for Carlsen v. Anand should've told you all there is to tell about Kirsan's reign.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Who would have thought that Kasparov's campaign strategy of "you're all loving idiots who are being bought off by the way America rulez" wouldn't work?

But Mig Greengard assured me on Twitter that the election was very close!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Final standings:

Open: (1) China (2) Hungary (3) India
Women: (1) Russia (2) China (3) Ukraine

So I guess that "disrespectful" Indian team wasn't so bad after all.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Sad news from the Olympiad, as two players died on the final day in separate incidents. One, Kurt Meier, died while playing in the final round, while another player was found dead of natural causes in a hotel room.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Big tourney in St Louis starts today, Sinquefield Cup named after that awful libertarian guy, 2pm central with the only off day on labor day. Good start time, great club, awesome to drink with. Looking forward to mr ashley's commentary. and scream guy with the knife.

https://saintlouischessclub.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=62

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DJ BK posted:

Big tourney in St Louis starts today, Sinquefield Cup named after that awful libertarian guy, 2pm central with the only off day on labor day. Good start time, great club, awesome to drink with. Looking forward to mr ashley's commentary. and scream guy with the knife.

https://saintlouischessclub.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=62

Is this one of those tournaments funded by Peter Thiel?

Anyway, the games today were decent. Carlsen navigated the opening pretty well before missing an incredibly deep subtlety to stay out of the perpetual, while Caruana beat up Topalov pretty badly.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Average rating over 2800 :stonk:

That must be a record, right?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

Average rating over 2800 :stonk:

That must be a record, right?

Zurich was also a "category 23" tournament. Using the ratings posted on the tournament site, the average rating on Sinquefield is 2801.6, compared to Zurich's 2800.8.

I want to talk about a particular position from the MVL-Carlsen game today. I'm really interested in the next move, but I think the story starts best here, after 21.Ne7+

I like what happens here because it's actually very theoretical, and it shows very clearly a decision-making process that can be understood (although Magnus probably went through this much less explicitly).

The first thing you want to look for when looking for what to do, before calculating or evaluating anything, are 'candidate moves'. This isn't a strictly fair characterization since most positions picking out those candidates comes against a background, intuitive, understanding of the position but here the check makes things simpler. There are four legally possible moves, and two of them (Qxe7 and Kf8) can immediately be thrown out for being suicidal. This leaves two candidate possibilities, Rxe7 and Kh8.

Step two is that of "elimination:" do either of the possibilities lead to forcing variations that can easily be eliminated. It is natural to start with the exchange sacrifice Rxe7, since that demands more explicit compensation. With some effort (for us, not for Magnus) we can see that this variation allows black to force a draw: 21...Rxe7 22.fxe7 Qd2 (Xg2) 23.Rf2 Qd1+ and white has no choice but to repeat. This allows us to establish a baseline: every other variation must present something better than a draw. After a brief check to see if Rxe7 has other possible lines for black (it doesn't) we can now evaluate Kh8. Since black still possesses the threat of Qd2. If white wants to avoid a draw, then, white will play Qxc2. This will leave white up a pawn. The question, then, will black have enough compensation to warrant playing on down a pawn.

According to one influential school of thought, positional evaluation is determined by three questions: (1) where are the weaknesses? (2) what are the worst pieces? (3) what are the plans? Let's go through these in order. Black's first weaknesses appear to be the g7 and h7 squares, which aren't easily defensible without concessions and would leaves him mated. However, white can't really get at them. White bringing the queen alone to h6 would be slow and difficult, and would be immediately met with Qf8. Loading two heavies up on the h-file is even slower. h7, then, isn't a weakness at all and g7 won't tell without a queen endgame. Does black have any other weaknesses? The pawn on b5 is pretty out there, but that's not a big deal. The backwards c7-pawn is a bit more of an issue, since pushing it to defend it would close off black's great bishop. White's weaknesses, on the other hand, are several. We've already mentioned one line that targets the g2 square, and white doesn't seem to have a way to shut off the black bishop. The pawn on e3 also stands out, backwards and alone. Also a pawn island is white's pawn advanced all the way to f6. Now that white's attack on black's king has run out, it looks a bit silly. We're already starting to see that, despite being a pawn down, black probably has enough targets in white's camp to play on.

Question 2 is about the worst pieces. The first two are reasonably easy to spot: both a-rooks are not really doing anything. Black's is at least on a semi-open file, but there's no real pressure on a2. A sneakily-bad piece, I think, is the knight on e7. After it's aggressive foray in, it's suddenly completely trapped. Oftentimes you can live with a trapped knight that deep if it's solidly defended, but we've already established that the pawn on f6 is a target. Piece activity, then, is also slightly in black's favour.

With weaknesses established, what are the likely plans? Two stick out for black, being an attack on g2 eyeing mate and an attack on f6 eying the trapped knight. White, meanwhile, is committed to the knight which means that he has to try and infiltrate black's position. The pawn on c7 is a natural target, where white could also go at black's good bishop. Both players want control of the d-file.

Altogether, it looks like black is warranted in playing Kh8 to play on. However, there's still the question of exactly what to do. Magnus came up with:

22...Raa6!

This answers all three questions: Black activates his last dormant piece; he targets one white weakness (f6) which would create another white weakness (e7) and solve a black weakness (g7); and he claims the d-file from white (23.Rad1 Rad6 -/+) with eyes to attacking g2 (Rad6=>Rd2). Raa6, despite being a rook lift on the far side of the board, is a really elegant positional move.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

OrangeKing posted:

Sad news from the Olympiad, as two players died on the final day in separate incidents. One, Kurt Meier, died while playing in the final round, while another player was found dead of natural causes in a hotel room.

drat this is a hardcore sport, i never knew

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I was not ready for how small Maurice Ashley's face is in proportion to his head.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
May just be a poor translation from Norwegian, but still :lol:

@SusanPolgar posted:

How does Carlsen describe Nakamura in one word? Inept! :) Do you agree with his assessment? http://www.tv2.no/a/5944455

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

V for Vegas posted:

May just be a poor translation from Norwegian, but still :lol:

The translation is correct, he was asked to describe the 5 other players in the tournament.

Levon Aronian:
– My strongest challenger.

Fabiano Caruana:
– Very confident player. Perhaps the most dangerous alongside Aronian.

Veselin Topalov:
– Played well at the olympics, generally a good opponent for me.

Maxime Vachier-Lagrave:
– Haven't played him much. Very creative, good tactically, dangerous player.

Nakamura
- Inept

(He laughs a bit as he says it, clearly tongue-in-cheek)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Meanwhile, Carlsen apparently has until Sunday to sign a contract to play the World Championship match in Sochi, or it's Anand vs. Someone (presumably Karjakin, as he finished 2nd in the Candidates and would be the most likely "alternate") for the Once Again Totally Legitimate FIDE World Championship! A ChessBase report, for those interested.

quote:

The title match this year has a budget of US $3 million, with $1.5 million reserved for the prizes. This is one million dollars less than the funding of the 2013 match in Chennai. Further the money appears to be coming from Aleksander Tkachev, who is Governor of the Krasnodar Territory and one of the leaders of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic. For this reason Tkachev has been blacklisted by the European Union, together with other key Russian officials from the region.

Hand Knit posted:

Is this one of those tournaments funded by Peter Thiel?

I think Rex Sinquefield funds these himself, but I could be wrong.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 29, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

Meanwhile, Carlsen apparently has until Sunday to sign a contract to play the World Championship match in Sochi, or it's Anand vs. Someone (presumably Karjakin, as he finished 2nd in the Candidates and would be the most likely "alternate") for the Once Again Totally Legitimate FIDE World Championship! A ChessBase report, for those interested.

quote:

Emil Sutovsky
2 hrs
BREAKING NEWS:
Yours truly just had a very constructive and fruitful conversation with FIDE President, Mr. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. After hearing all the arguments, FIDE President has accepted my proposal to approve Carlsen's request, and agreed to extend the deadline for signing the contract till September 7.
Gens una sumus again?

Also round 3 has just started, and Magnus has decided to go with ye olde Bishop's Opening against Caruana. Hopefully Caruana manages his time a little bit better today than he did in Tromsø.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also Carlsen-Caruana just got kinda wild.

e: Magnus' sacrifice theoretically doesn't work, but Caruana has to see a line where he walks his king to g5.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 29, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCfWHqrYUqo

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Caruana :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

gret posted:

Caruana :stare:

It's mental. How do you win 6 in 6 in a tournament like this?

• Locked thread