Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Yeah it's that stiff with the bullshit KYBs, too.

Imagine what the Bilsteins will be like :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Sucks about that engine, it sounded so good.

So what'd you do? Forget to put oil in it and have been driving it around on nothing but assembly lube?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha oh poo poo if that happened to me I'd want to maim myself horribly.

The other day I overheated my Miata because I forgot to put the radiator cap back on, I was so pissed at myself.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

leica posted:

Haha oh poo poo if that happened to me I'd want to maim myself horribly.

The other day I overheated my Miata because I forgot to put the radiator cap back on, I was so pissed at myself.

Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time I've done that with the rad cap or the oil cap, I'd be able to buy myself a nice dinner.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

mafoose posted:

Sucks about that engine, it sounded so good.

So what'd you do? Forget to put oil in it and have been driving it around on nothing but assembly lube?

This is why the FIRST THING I did when I got the motor back in the 'Rolla was put oil in it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I stick a big note to the steering wheel with helpful things like 'NO OIL' or 'TORQUE LUGNUTS' written on it, whenever I do things that may have dire consequences.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Every shop needs a whiteboard/chalkboard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or do the poor man's version like Roadkill does, write a big list on cardboard with a sharpie and cross off each job as you finish it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

leica posted:

Or do the poor man's version like Roadkill does, write a big list on cardboard with a sharpie and cross off each job as you finish it.

If I have to walk away from a car while anything important is drained/missing a big piece of painters tape on the steering wheel is a great reminder. It's saved a couple engines from being started with no oil or coolant and several cars from being driven with loose lug bolts.

Also why everyone on our team checks lugs, oil cap, fuel cap, etc before the car goes out in the morning. Ran 2 hours without an oil filler cap...it was messy but the engine survived.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 30, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I stick a big note to the steering wheel with helpful things like 'NO OIL' or 'TORQUE LUGNUTS' written on it, whenever I do things that may have dire consequences.

Yep, should have done this on my IH. First test drive went from glorious to terrifying when I figured out the vibrations were that NONE of the lugnuts were tight.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

My egregious sin is that I always leave a socket wrench on the crank pulley. I've only stopped myself once.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
How did that destroy your motor?

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Yeah that or have a big tag with stuff written on your keyring.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 30, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Fo3 posted:

How did that destroy your motor?

Broke the timing belt Id guess. I dont know if anyone here has seen the VW avatar made out of valves but that was my friend that made it first. He left the ratchet on the crank on the first startup on his 16V GTI and broke the belt and bent all the valves.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it's just a socket it probably won't kill the motor, but it will wreck poo poo when it inevitably gets flung off at 6000 RPM.

Plus you lose the socket.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

No no no, you silly billies. That's not how I destroyed the motor. That just makes an awful clunk during the first 5 seconds of cranking and then falls under the car.

Thankfully, the Datsuns have a lot of space between the main pulley and the radiator, or I'd be a bigger turd than I already am. :downs:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've forgotten to tighten the rad hose after throwing in the rad and my mistake became very apparent when I was bridging the motor up to temp.

It's exactly like a really angry geyser, and the sweet smell of burning coolant once it hits the exhaust.

Also, no hood installed at the time. Inside the garage. COOLANT EVERYWHERE

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I 'filled' my transmission once without noticing that the funnel wasn't properly in the dipstick hole, then wondered why the car wouldnt move in D or R.

Nice mess to clean up after I found the issue, and a sweet smelling exhaust for the next day or so...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just this month I drove off without even finger tight bolts holding my front calipers on.

I drove for an hour on the highway in rush hour traffic wondering what that weird thumping noise was until the left front ejected its top bolt and tried to crack the wheel in half.

I've got mixed feelings about that. On one hand I really hate these wheels. On the other hand I don't think blowing up a wheel at highway speeds is all that safe.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bajaha posted:

I've forgotten to tighten the rad hose after throwing in the rad and my mistake became very apparent when I was bridging the motor up to temp.

It's exactly like a really angry geyser, and the sweet smell of burning coolant once it hits the exhaust.

Also, no hood installed at the time. Inside the garage. COOLANT EVERYWHERE

Oh my god, hahaha. gently caress coolant, I would have burned down the garage and built a new one. That poo poo is like the herpes of car fluids, cant ever get rid of it completely.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I love this thread and that video of it driving got me excited, but finishing the post to see there was an explodey motor in the future makes me sad.

My favorite experience of stupidity was when I changed the oil on my old 3.0L Mazda6 and didn't notice the rubber gasket from the previous filter stuck to the block and didn't come off with the filter. I started the car to pull it off the ramps and first heard, then saw ~6 quarts of fresh synthetic making its escape down my parents driveway. :suicide: I had never heard of that happening before and it seems that everyone else has experienced that at least once.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My favorite experience of stupidity was when I changed the oil on my old 3.0L Mazda6 and didn't notice the rubber gasket from the previous filter stuck to the block and didn't come off with the filter. I started the car to pull it off the ramps and first heard, then saw ~6 quarts of fresh synthetic making its escape down my parents driveway. :suicide: I had never heard of that happening before and it seems that everyone else has experienced that at least once.

Yup. Finished a head gasket job on my brother's Civic, started it up and *PSSSHHH* oil EVERYWHERE. Good times.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 2, 2015

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We're all really quiet about it so the legacy of feeling like a moron can live on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

First time I ever bought synthetic oil, expensive as hell at the time, poured four quarts right through the engine on to the ground because I was dumb and didn't put the drain plug back in. Went back to the store and got regular cheap oil :(

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
So far I have yet to miss a stuck on oil filter gasket or drain plug, oil fill caps however are an entirely different story. It's a pretty good method to rustproof most of an engine bay though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I started an EJ22/EJ251 hybrid motor with the throttle jammed wide open by accident once, not realizing I had put the throttle cables on wrong. After a head gasket/timing belt/oil change, dry, banged it off the rev limiter for a few seconds before shutting it off.

Then I did it again without thinking about it.

It still sounds just as rattly as it ever did 36k miles later, 'cause it's an EJ22 block/crank and oil is semi optional equipment :v:

So what's the story about the datsun motor? :sigh:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

The Monkey's Paw

Well, after weeks of 13 hour days, management got cold feet and shitcanned my project. Rather than continue the slow descent into madness, I chose to become unemployed.

Pros:
- Soul crushing burden and self-hatred are gone
- Lots more free time for fun things
- Finally brought parts to the machine shops
- Maybe life isn't horrible after all

Cons:
- Paying rent in the Bay Area without a job is p lovely tbh
- Wanted my little baby project to see the light of day
- Hard to buy Datsun parts unless you have income (though you can sometimes trade other Datsun parts for them)

I have enough savings that I can live like the lovely boomeranging millenial I probably am, and fill the void by fixing all of the Datsuns. This actually works out pretty well for everyone. I can "help out" by fixing all the cars I've stranded at the family ranch, and just do consulting work from the couch in my underwear.

Maybe I'll do a startup.

Preparations are made

I had to think really hard about which story I was telling here, because I've actually had two different engines aggressively stop running in this car now. :downs:

Let me set the stage.

A few days before Solvang, I was trying to get my car as road-ready as I could. I had driven it a few miles up and down the road enough to believe that it was ready, but I had a few outstanding problems.

First, I needed some kind of air filter. My ITG assembly was never going to work. It was simply too large and too thick, especially with the new extension tubes. Since I'm using motorcycle carburetors, I figured... Why not treat it like a big custom bike?

Man, I never heard the end of it for this one. Airboxes are something of a religion, I guess. Everyone wants to tell you about how x, y, or z option creates more torque / flows better / is colder, etc etc etc. As far as I'm concerned, these keep poo poo out of my engine and are really easy to work with.

Working outside in California in April invites some drizzle and fog if you're near the coast. I took a neat picture:

I decided that it would be good to have some place to sit, and to have a little bit more of the interior going on before I showed the car.

I needed working turn signals, which involved a hard 6 hours of driving to pick up a working switch:

I found some awesome stainless bolts that filled the luggage rack holes in my trunk:

And finally, the dealbreaker. Remember that the stock wheels on this car were something like 5" wide, and came with tires that would be about 165/70R14 in modern sizing. When I got my magic JDM rimz, I fit 195 wide tires on them, which were uh... slightly too wide in the rear.

Rather than risk chipping the paint right before the show, I decided I would trailer the car back to the guy who did the original paint, Matt, and work with him to get the rear fenders flared out, polish up the paint, and generally get the car show-ready. I also needed things like mirrors.

In which Ironblock breaks the engine

I want to preface the next part by pointing out that this all happened on my birthday.

So, I stuck the car on a trailer, towed it up north, did an :siren: AMAZING JOB :siren: parking it, and waited.

While I was waiting, I got a chance to eyeball my sister's 280ZX, which she was also having painted. I talked her into the two-tone scheme that they used, but continuing onto the roof. The car was originally pretty close to the burgundy here, and the black is all new.

Here's where things started to go wrong. :(

I was elated that the car was running so well, and that I could turn the key and drive it around. I had about 7 miles on the tripmeter, and it seemed like we really were about to perform a miracle.

My bodywork window came up, I started the car and drove it across the parking lot to the body shop's rollup.

We stood around a bit, listening to it idle, taking the piss, comparing displacement with all the American iron around it, giving it some rev... And then something funny happened.

Matt said, "Hey, you're uh... leaking something"

I said, "I am? Oh poo poo! I am!"

And that's when all the oil came out.

Thankfully, I was right next to the car, and I got the ignition turned off before it was all gone. Dipstick showed about a quart left, but... that was troubling. :ohdear:

Closer inspection showed that the oil filter had spun off, absolutely nut-blasting the entire engine bay with hot non-detergent 30W.

How did that happen? How is such a thing even possible? Why didn't it happen before?

Nobody had any solid theories.

Somebody suggested that there was a second gasket on the filter, or stuck to the block. No such luck, and you can see every part of the housing from the top of the engine.

Somebody suggested it had gone over pressure - but then took it back and pointed out that filters usually balloon in that circumstance.

Somebody suggested that because it was a cheapshit STP filter, it was just plain bad, but we admitted that there was nothing obviously wrong, since it was the right filter for the car in terms of size, gasket, and thread pitch.

I recalled that I had tightened this filter somewhat less aggressively, since the first (identical!) filter had required power tools and foul language to remove.

We chalked it up to a freak accident, and I went to AutoZone to buy more oil.

While I was gone, Matt installed my mirrors.

I don't have pictures of what happened next.

I came back from AutoZone, refilled the oil, cleaned off the filter housing, triple checked that there was nothing wrong with the filter, housing, or engine block, and put that filter back on as tightly as I was physically able. I figured that if I needed power tools and foul language to get this one off too... I could live with that.

Folks, that was a bad call. That was the moment I spat in God's eye, and what follows is the righteous and terrible judgement I called down upon myself.

We got the fenders flared, and a quick jaunt around the parking lot at max G showed remarkable improvement.

I left to go take the car on a quick trip around the block to test how it was working on the road. Everything was great. The tires had stopped rubbing, I had ample power, the carbs sounded great, my temperature was ideal, my fan was on, the oil pressure was... did it just drop? Did the oil pressure just hit zero? Is that smoke? Oh poo poo, oh poo poo, oh poo poo.

I panicked, ran through an intersection, got a little ways down the street to a safe spot, and put the car on the side of the road.

And then the engine stopped.

And it didn't start again.

The post-mortem

Since it was obvious that I wasn't going to be taking this car to Solvang, we packed up for the day and headed back home. Once there, I took a look at the usual suspects.

The plugs were all fine. They showed a little rich, but no evidence of fouling or other weirdness.

The oil filter housing was still in perfect shape.

Then I had the idea to compare another STP filter with a stock Nissan unit.

Immediatedly it was obvious that though the threads were the same, the Nissan filter's threads are projected, and the gasket has a lip. The STP filter was most likely only engaging the top few threads. Additionally the Nissan body is physically larger.

The best part? I was using the STPs as throw-aways because they were $2. The Nissans cost $7.

The engine itself was completely seized.

And that's the story of how I wrecked the first implementation of my stroker motor by thumbing my nose at the sky and trying to save $5.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch.

God drat that hurts. I have never thought to check that sort of thing before playing around with oil filters, but you bet I'll do it from now on. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh that's infuriating. I've never thought to double-check filters that closely before.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I can't imagine it affects too many modern vehicles, but now I'm wondering if that would explain the intermittent oil usage on my car...

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

My theory at this point is that this car has pretty common threads (a Nissan L-series filter fits too, but is comically oversized), and that STP makes one filter that fits as many cars as possible. It may also have been that my oil pressure was too high, or any number of things.

I do know one thing, though, and that's OEM quality or better from now on. The Nissans cost the same as Wix/NAPA, and it makes the engine look "right", so I guess it's ye olde "protect your investment" :(

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I've definitely seen fitment issues with cartridge filters before, but nothing that bad with a spin on filter. Makes me want to stock a few OEM filters for my own car, even though its not anything close to a vintage roadster.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I gotta say, thanks for sharing your misfortune. I'm never going to forget to check that out if I ever substitute filters again.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

drat, that's rough.
Your car is absolutely gorgeous.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

ironblock posted:

My theory at this point is that this car has pretty common threads (a Nissan L-series filter fits too, but is comically oversized), and that STP makes one filter that fits as many cars as possible. It may also have been that my oil pressure was too high, or any number of things.

I do know one thing, though, and that's OEM quality or better from now on. The Nissans cost the same as Wix/NAPA, and it makes the engine look "right", so I guess it's ye olde "protect your investment" :(

Its pretty common for a filter to be used on many applications. When designing an engine oil system its easier to just pull a filter that is already sold on the market and use it than it is to design a new one just for that engine. At the same time filter manufactures do try to be sure their filters fit as many cars as possible. Going off of Autozone's website, the STP filter pictured above fits 11 different vehicle brands and spans upwards of several hundred different models.

Generally, filter burst pressures will be above 300 psi so unless your seeing pressures in that territory I would not expect that oil pressure is the issue. When it comes to a filter backing off, the two biggest culprits I have encountered are improper installation or the filter is not designed accordingly for the vibration levels its experiencing (bad thread engagement falls into this part). If you have done something that would make vibration on the engine worse, like change over to solid engine mounts, its possible that even the OEM filter will not stay on as planned. Worse case you just change over to a remote mount setup.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Sounds about right. I'm still using all the stock mounts, which are plenty squishy. I think it was a cheap, lovely filter that barely fit the car, and having it spin off once should have been my indication that it would spin off twice. The silver lining is that if this hadn't happened, I would never have started building the super stroker.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That is gutting. I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it... And the ability to continue the project even though the setbacks.

Is the gasket on the STP the same diameter? Maybe just the picture or angle, but looks maybe slightly larger.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

angryrobots posted:

Is the gasket on the STP the same diameter? Maybe just the picture or angle, but looks maybe slightly larger.

I think it's an optical illusion. The overall diameter of the Nissan is larger. I recall that I put them butt-to-butt, and the gaskets were about the same size... but the Nissan has a lip around the outer edge, and the STP does not.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Automotive Insanity > IronBlock's Datsun: I Got Too Excited and Broke It Again

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
IronBlock's Datsun: Stroked Too Much, Spurted Everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

IronBlock's Datsun: Stroked Too Much, Spurted Everywhere

:sbahj:

• Locked thread