Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Elmnt80 posted:

There is a small part of me wishing it could be the 15x15's off of holdbrook's bosozoku truck. Also, same, guessing a set of rims.

There's a big part of me wishing it could be. I think that would slightly diminish the drivability, though.

And yes, rims, but... which rims? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Minilites?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's probably Minilites, Sakuras or Watanabes but I'm hoping for teeny tiny TE37s.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Aargh posted:

Minilites?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's probably Minilites, Sakuras or Watanabes but I'm hoping for teeny tiny TE37s.

Nope nope nope. Though, teeny TE37s would be kickass.

The flowchart for choosing wheels as a Roadster owner is basically this:

pre:
       Do you want to keep the car stock?

Yes                  No

Stock wheels         Panasports

I don't like Minilites, Watanabes, Panasports or anything following the pattern of "I am a boring wheel with eight rounded spokes"

No, I took a different path. I figure that every part of my car needs to be volatile and a slightly bad idea... So I picked something a little older, and a little more likely to explode into a shower of aluminum dust and flying wheel bolts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ronal Bears.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ronal Daisies.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Factory aluminum F150 wheels.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Conestoga wagon wheels

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
40 spoke

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should've gone for Sakuras, although if my knowledge of the timeframe on this thing is right they weren't available at the time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Those wheels that look like a bunch of dicks going around the circumference? (as seen on some miatas)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There can only be one answer.

Assassyns.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
Work Equip

or the dong wheels whatever.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Dong wheels are a thing?

Guys, I feel my goals shifting...

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

ironblock posted:

Dong wheels are a thing?

Guys, I feel my goals shifting...

Those... Those exist?? Holy poo poo. They do...

Linked because dong wheels might by NSFW in someone's monestary I dunno http://i.imgur.com/inXkHKM.jpg

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I feel like they are some Dayton wire wheels.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm guessing American Racing Le Mans replica wheels.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
SSR mk2's or 3's?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Blank billet wheels, gently caress cooling your immense shiny brakes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

That looks like an incredibly bad design, should the bolt hole placement be 45 degrees offset from what it is?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

bolind posted:

That looks like an incredibly bad design, should the bolt hole placement be 45 degrees offset from what it is?

They were a racing wheel, and were very light. Real ones were magnesium too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Are the spokes sorta "stamped steel" (shape wise) in their construction because then it makes some sense.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder how many panicked meetings the reproduction wheel guys have had once they hire an intern who knows how to do FEA.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Sinestro posted:

Libres were my backup choice. I came so so close to using them instead of the five slots that I had when I started, but then a friend in Japan offered to help me get a set of wheels on Yahoo Auctions JP, and one thing led to another. Update coming soon.

edit: just realized these aren't Libres. I still like this style, but at some point I got really into pushing the vintage Japanese go-fast parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I wonder how many panicked meetings the reproduction wheel guys have had once they hire an intern who knows how to do FEA.

This picture literally makes me see red

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I wish I had Datsun stuff other than S30 for you. Roadsters are pretty cool.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

ultimateforce posted:

I wish I had Datsun stuff other than S30 for you. Roadsters are pretty cool.

I actually have an S30 that wants an RB30DET, but it's in the same situation as this Roadster, and way further from the mark. Someday, maybe...

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

It's that time again! I'm swamped today, so I'll make this a little shorter. It's irritating, because we're starting to get to the really good stuff.

I'm not going to get to the wheels right away, but I'll give it away to those in the know. This should explain what I said before about exploding wheel bolts.

With that out of the way, let's look at some primer.

Presto, change-o

It doesn't even look like the same car, does it? Matt really put the extra work in, massaging panels, tweaking gaps, and getting the curves just right. I really doubt that the Nissan plant in 1967 put this much effort into making it fit together properly.

White is just the primer color. Who knows what color I'll eventually decide to go with?

Chronologically, I should have posted these before the transmission rebuild, so there's some time dilation in here. Even without that, Matt moved quick on the next phase of paint, which I'll show after I talk about wheels for a minute.

Wheely nice

The mystery is over. They're Hayashi Command 500s :siren: WITH CENTERCAPS :siren:, with a +15 offset. This gives me a pretty decent opportunity to shove wider rubber under the car, and once they're properly restored, will look great with the paint I've chosen.

Here they are next to the old 5 slots. Now, I like the 5 slots just fine, but they aren't special vintage Japanese racing wheels for hooligans, so they weren't fitting my image of the build anymore. I'll most likely keep them and put autocross tires on them.

Of course, it's never all sunshine and fairy dust, is it?

These wheels were on someone's shelf for a while, but they were certainly used. They were also coming from somewhere in southern Japan, next to the ocean.

I opted not to trust my life and livelihood to the remaining strength of those wheel bolts, and put in an order at McMaster Carr for some replacements.

But since I had the wheels, I opted for a test fitment. Looking good so far!

clonk

The massive Volvo brakes occupy the same margin that the wheel bolts needed open to fit :doh:. Now I'm gonna need a spacer, and the McMaster bolts will definitely be too long. This is the price of style, I suppose...

Now for the good part

I had previously left Matt with my expensive new emblems so that he could get them on the fenders where they belonged.

And boy, did he ever.

These pictures were taken with the paint at a claimed "95%". The paint is like everything else on the car, and it was here that I finally cemented my vision and guidelines. Everything should be based on the original concept, but improved to the highest possible extent.

It would have been possible to do a base-clear job, but that gives the car a luster/wetness that it didn't have from the factory. It also makes it harder to repair when someone inevitably can't see my tiny car and runs their Explorer into it.

It's a single stage urethane paint, and it's the same color as the factory's 505 Thunder Black - it has just a hint of red in it, which is only really visible in the sun.

The paint is rock hard, and impossible to scuff (I've since had ample opportunity to try).

The interior got a very generous coating of POR-15, as well as new floors. Putting my foot into the freeway at speed would have been funny, but probably only the first time. These floors will never rust again.

With Matt nearing the end of the body/paint extravaganza, it was time to prepare the other half.

Rolling, but too stiff to rock

Preparing for the inevitable, I put wheels back on the frame, thus finishing most of the suspension work. Until the Bilsteins are refinished, she's gonna have to make do with Crap-A-Justs.

Once again, the original frame pads were horsehair and tar, so I replaced them with some kind of eco-horror soft rubber sheeting, intended as much to make my car a solid, NVH fuckfest as to seal the frame where the original pads were.

No, I still hadn't figured out that the spring shackles were upside down. :downs:

And onto the trailer it went, in preparation for The Rejoining.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
This thread delivers in so many ways. Cool car. I'm glad that you are willing to share your story with us.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This last update delivered on the promise of the thread. I hope it will continue to get better. :allears:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

This last update delivered on the promise of the thread. I hope it will continue to get better. :allears:

Wait 'til I get to the part with the avionics remanufacturer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
God, you're a tease.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

ironblock posted:

we're starting to get to the really good stuff.

Jesus, this is already my favorite thread in my bookmarks.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

There is something intensely satisfying about a correctly rebuild body that got a good coat of POR-15 and body color. It's so new and clean and perfect.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Hypnolobster posted:

There is something intensely satisfying about a correctly rebuild body that got a good coat of POR-15 and body color. It's so new and clean and perfect.

I spent about an hour sitting on the frame when it came back, right in the middle of the X. I just sat and played pretend. Seeing it that way changed my perspective a lot. The body I didn't want to touch, because it looked so perfect and I felt so unworthy. Chrome is even worse, mentally.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Gold plating the entire frame and adding juice between it and the body are still highly recommended though.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

I bought a '68 1600 that was a bucket of poo poo. I SO wanted to do what you've done with this car, but mine was in really bad shape and the only things it was actually missing were the most expensive things you could buy for the car :( I think I sold it for $300.

Love the thread!

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Team140 posted:

I bought a '68 1600 that was a bucket of poo poo. I SO wanted to do what you've done with this car, but mine was in really bad shape and the only things it was actually missing were the most expensive things you could buy for the car

These cars are shockingly expensive to restore. I've heard it said it takes three Roadsters to make one good one.

Things like water pumps sell for $200 plus, USED, because nobody makes them. Nissan will do a production run, and then sell them for $250, and then the vendors buy them all immediately and resell them for more. I lucked out and got a reman for $45 - Cardone or Beck/Arnley or someone - and then they were all gone a day later when I decided I should buy and store some for the future.

Things like the interior and upholstery are pretty well covered, but god help you if you need a reverse light or a syncro or a radio or some interior plastics.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

ironblock posted:

I actually have an S30 that wants an RB30DET, but it's in the same situation as this Roadster, and way further from the mark. Someday, maybe...

By the time you are ready to go on that idea I'll have it all sorted out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have always liked old Z cars but after pricing out run of the mill parts... gently caress that.

But this is a bad rear end thread.

• Locked thread