Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Amazing work so far!

Poisonlizard posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of this. Didn't they make an LD28T for some markets?

Not that I know of, but there have been a few built!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

bolind posted:

That looks like an incredibly bad design, should the bolt hole placement be 45 degrees offset from what it is?

They were a racing wheel, and were very light. Real ones were magnesium too.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

murphle posted:

I'm not familiar with the HSRs, but have rebuilt a few SUs on Triumphs many years ago. What all does the guy do to the HSRs to adapt them to the Datsun engine? I assume there's a simple adapter plate to go from the backside of the carbs to the intake runners of the Datsun. That's presumably custom, but it can't be that hard to recreate out of flat aluminum. The throttle rod connectors in that picture look like they're off the shelf parts. And maybe there's some custom re-jetting needed for the bigger Datsun motor, perhaps the tricky part if they don't make appropriate pieces in the bike world already?

Bike carbs usually don't have a flange to adapt. It'd probably be a machined flange with a pipe welded on to then use carb boots. Or gut the carb and weld a flange directly on it.

Also, having been in a 200hp SU powered Z car, those carbs CAN make decent power. Car did gain almost 20hp with a change to DCOEs (dyno proven), but drivability increased ten fold. You can tune the response of SUs partially by filling them with different things in the dome. I heard that most race car roadsters run them empty or with incredibly light oil since they're basically WOT all the time.

Webers are awesome. I have a Z car set, and I've driven my friend's race car, a 72 240z, that is as sorted out as humanly possible for someone with OCD and a small budget. Most beautiful to drive car I have ever had the pleasure to drive (perfect seating position, pedal position, suspension layout, and Weber's tuned to perfection).

PS Webers offer much more "tuneability" than Mikuni's, as Mikuni's were offered as an option, and are much better of staying "in tune" than their European counterparts.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Are the stickers shot?
If not, why not just mask them off?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Well drat. What did the big sticker have on it?

The small bilstein one could be replicated easily with some pics and measurements. Lots of goons with vinyl cutters and sticker makers, I'm sure one could help you out.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You should change the carb adapter bolts to button or pan head Allens, and use some blue lock tight on them.

That's an interesting place for the idle adjustment screws... They're usually more accessible I thought.

tater_salad posted:

Ive used that sync tool I had issues with it working right.

Try and find something like this of that one doesnt work out I know I paid eay less than 60 for mine.

https://chircoestore.com/carburetor...fNGUaAhoN8P8HAQ

This style blows those stupid ball ones out of the water. My friend uses them for his triple Weber setup.

On the linkage, could you tie all the carbs together so you only have linkage on one side (like the middle or front) so that it won't interfere with the master cylinder?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You can use it as is, you sync in pairs first, then the two pairs to each other.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

:f5: :f5: :f5:

I can't wait to hear it come to life!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Holy poo poo, I've been doing it wrong all these years!

If your roadster is similar to the Z cars' wiring, you should be able to segregate the dash lighting bits fairly easily, then wiring them to the pwm controller should be cake.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I used to think Datsun parts availability was laughable, and then I bought a Volvo.
(I'm still out $200 to RSI, and there's no one else that sells drive train parts...)

That wheel looks phenomenal!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I know it's too late, but look up pressure bleeding. You use either a motive pressure bleeder (or homemade one) or modify a cap with an air fitting and shop air. Seriously the best way to do most brakes.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

H beams and a head that flows more? Sounds like forced induction to me!

Also aluminum is much easier to work on then steel, except for welding.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

If someone is looking for bitching 4x110 wheels, my friend is selling some 15x7 (I think) 3 piece epsilons. Polished and straightened.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Some old crazy guy adapted a rotary to a k series Honda transmission and had a 13bt powered Acura of some sort.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Sucks about that engine, it sounded so good.

So what'd you do? Forget to put oil in it and have been driving it around on nothing but assembly lube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

leica posted:

Haha oh poo poo if that happened to me I'd want to maim myself horribly.

The other day I overheated my Miata because I forgot to put the radiator cap back on, I was so pissed at myself.

Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time I've done that with the rad cap or the oil cap, I'd be able to buy myself a nice dinner.

• Locked thread