Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Excepting the, ahem, inopportune Christmas BBQ, did Maas do a good job on the powdercoating? I need to get some motorcycle rims powdercoated eventually...

Love the thread as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ironblock posted:

This is the quality of the stuff I gave to Maas.

This is what I got back.

Excellent - they're the shop for me to get my stuff done then :)

I hope there are more updates to this thread soon!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is there a concern about heat expansion causing the rotors to rub on the calipers? That clearance is insanely close!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ironblock posted:

I'm a bit concerned, yeah. still, there's enough space that I could chuck 'em on a lathe and get more clearance. And if they get too hot, the calipers will become a lathe! :haw:

Hopefully the venting will keep me safe. It's realtively common to do this with the factory rotors and the solid version of the calipers, and as far as I know, both rotors have the same OD.

Dual purpose calipers.

On the bright side, it'll be really easy to tell if they're rubbing after the first hard drive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So, a question about the choice of flatslides:

I ran them on my SV650 racebike, and never noticed any issues with going from closed throttle to pinned that some people complain about - likely due to having a correctly tuned accelerator pump. Have you heard of any people having similar issues if you run them on a car?

Also, they make a wonderful sound and the rattling of the slides in the bores is excellent, although it'll make people think your motorcycle is going to explode. With a full exhaust, the induction noise fills out the bottom of the noise range and the top end is filled by the sound of the exhaust and it sounds like the very hand of god going by. One day, I'll get an inline 4 with flatslides...

Merry Christmas - I loving hope for the love of god that you get those carbs. gently caress people who take money and run.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ironblock posted:

You know, it's hard to tell, because most of the people who would benefit from these carbs are not the ones who would buy them or use them to their full potential. I found some carbchat on various Australian forums, and they all seemed quite enamored with them.

I suspect that like most carbs, it's all in getting them set up right and synced with each other. I theoretically ordered a wide range of jets and needles, so hopefully I'll have the wiggleroom that I need.

As for the noise, my basic concept was that stomping on the throttle in neutral should sound like a tiny thunderclap.

I kind of regret now that I was poor when I did the engine, and I think it's going to be the weak link in my entire setup. With the exception of a few last piece parts, you guys have actually seen more or less the current incarnation of the engine. I'm not going to tear anything apart now that it's together, at least not before I run the car, but the future may involve forced induction and forged pistons / con rods.

As for the guy who has my money and my carburetors... I have a lot of options, legally, but I'd like to do whatever will get me these carbs. If I don't get them from him, I don't really have any choice except either "use Webers" or "buy HSR conversion kits and try to modify the carbs myself". I'm not hugely optimistic about the outcome of either of those things, so I really want this to work out.

Just get a 4 into one throttle cable and call it good! :v:

That's how it was done on my racebike, although I only had a 2 > 1 setup. It was kind of a pain in the rear end to tune, but once the cable stretched, it was pretty much fine. The nice thing about flatslides is you can see exactly what's going on as you apply the throttle, so you baseline them, get the slack right, and you're pretty much ready to go.

I can see that this thread is going to make me add "flatslide" to my craigslist search routine...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How does usable RPM range affect the relationship of carb size to displacement?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It absolutely impacts it - assuming 100% volumetric efficiency on the engine, a 4.0L engine at 7000RPM is going to require the same amount of airflow as a 2.0L engine at 14000 RPM. Most carbs for American cars are listed out in terms of rated cubic feet per minute of airflow.

So given that, wouldn't something like a set of 41mm flatslides for a GSX-R1100 that revs to ~11k be about perfect for his build? Carbed GSX-R 1100/750s of old came with CV carbs that ranged from 36-40mms depending on where they were sold, back in the days when stuff like that actually happened.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aren't google voice numbers still free? :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tater_salad posted:

First one's free then it's free for every different e-mail address you have with google.

Yeah I guess I could have been a bit more descriptive :)

Seems inevitably like the only way to fix these problems is to basically annoy the poo poo out of the person until you're a larger pain in the rear end than their in person customers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

In 2 weeks he's going to have another excuse about how he just needs some thing to make the best carbs ever or some bullshit. Just gotta be more of a pain in the rear end then the next guy to get them.

Id call him every day at random times from a new number checking in on your carbs. The reason his in person customers can get their parts is because they're more annoying than just doing the work.

Also his phone must have a giant address book of numbers that say "do not answer". Sort of mind boggling.

Isnt it coming up on a year plus already?

It's really sad to see such an awesome build held up by some fuckhead who can't keep his promises :( I just wanna see it all put together!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 28, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I was really hoping there'd be a picture of a set of flatslides as the first reply :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is the best thread :3:

• Locked thread