Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I clicked "5": "We threw your vote into the pile."

I can only imagine :allears:

A buddy of mine is a Nissan Master Tech and loves old Nissan Datsuns. I showed him this thread and he told me to leave the shop and that he needed some alone time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Z3n posted:

Aren't google voice numbers still free? :D

First one's free, then $10 for every change thereafter.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ever since kastein linked those nifty heatshrink crimps I've never bought anything else.

My drat heat gun broke though :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Unf.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ironblock posted:

Okay, I'm back. I got caught up in a software sprint, and have basically been treading water ever since.

Here's a preview of a video I'm putting together, for you, AI.

no solo homegrown videos please, keep your hands where we can see 'em.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Is... is this your first time with manual timing? Listening to that motor when your timing was utterly hosed was painful. Then again I learned timing by ear on my F250, BMW 318 (M10), and Miata, so I kinda know what to listen for.

Glad to see it running though! Sounds wicked :kheldragar: Now, where's the rest of the story :suspense:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

mafoose posted:

Sucks about that engine, it sounded so good.

So what'd you do? Forget to put oil in it and have been driving it around on nothing but assembly lube?

This is why the FIRST THING I did when I got the motor back in the 'Rolla was put oil in it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Every shop needs a whiteboard/chalkboard.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My favorite experience of stupidity was when I changed the oil on my old 3.0L Mazda6 and didn't notice the rubber gasket from the previous filter stuck to the block and didn't come off with the filter. I started the car to pull it off the ramps and first heard, then saw ~6 quarts of fresh synthetic making its escape down my parents driveway. :suicide: I had never heard of that happening before and it seems that everyone else has experienced that at least once.

Yup. Finished a head gasket job on my brother's Civic, started it up and *PSSSHHH* oil EVERYWHERE. Good times.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I seem to have been so incredibly lucky that my first engine remove/replace went off without a hitch, aren't I? Or is that just a product of not deviating from stock configuration? I had a couple small oil leaks due to a bad distributor seal and re-used crush washers, a coolant leak due to a corroded NLA water pipe, but otherwise my Corolla goes like the 2000lb mini-devil it is with pretty much no trouble.

Then you have... The Datsun :stare:

(Never stop posting)

• Locked thread