Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You're... you're not leaving the car outside while you're away, are you? Saw some rusty-lookin' hardware in some of these pics and got worried :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ironblock posted:

The car still lives outside. :(

Mercifully, I did a lot of rust-proofing that's held up quite well. The things that are rusting are:

- The chrome. Some of this was not rechromed well, and is rusting from the inside out. I'll have to get the headlight buckets redone completely, or replace them with better ones (maybe start with the stainless version). Some things are developing surface rust, like the mirrors. I need to figure out what I can coat these things with that will help repel moisture.
- The brake calipers. I never painted them, and I should have. at this point, it would probably be easier to get new calipers and paint those than it would be to try and de-rust the ones I have. I'm thinking about what I want to do here.
- The wheel bolts around the rim. I painted these real good when I first refinished the wheels, but some critical judgement errors resulted in my choosing bolts that were way too long. I replaced all of them with new bolts that were the right length, and in doing so, chipped the paint around each bolt head, and never repainted the heads. It was part of one of my various light speed efforts to get the car back on the road, and I need to go back and refinish those parts of the wheels.
- Misc mild steel nuts and bolts. Somehow, I ended up with non-stainless screws for my tail light housings, which are rusting and weeping on the housings. Thankfully, the housings themselves were chromed really well, and are holding up fine. I just got new stainless hardware to replace those screws.

The bad news is that I've completely buttfucked the paint job by leaving it out in the sun for a million years. I'm going to have to get the top of the car re-sprayed, but that's okay, since there were some niggling things that the body shop didn't get right the first time around.

The car is in a much better spot now, and gets shade at least half the day. Covers are a tough proposition because that hill sees frequent windstorms that utterly destroy tarps and covers. It might be that a really good fitted cover with some weights in it would work.

A small shed is probably cheaper than a repaint.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Automotive Insanity > IronBlock's Datsun: I Got Too Excited and Broke It Again

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

IronBlock's Datsun: Stroked Too Much, Spurted Everywhere

:sbahj:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ironblock posted:

Hey, speaking of which, you'll never guess what happens with engine number three! :v:

My guess is you buy it, install it as quickly as you can, drive for a few miles, and ruin it.

• Locked thread