Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Rulebook Heavily posted:

If you want, you can try to find some open-source art to put into it as well. I'm not up on my databases for those, but maybe some other enterprising poster can help.

If anyone has resources for free/open-source/public domain art please share. I intend to commission art for my current project, but at the moment I'd like some stuff just to use as placeholders in my playtest drafts.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I guess I should share the one good resource I know of for Pulp Sci-Fi art. http://public-domain.zorger.com/

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I have some advice.

Collaborate.

Find a partner or group of people to work with. There are a few lone geniuses out there who create their games from nothing all by themselves but the majority of games are the product of a group of people.
Working with others gives you a ton of advantages:
  • Division of Labor - Making a game is hard, share the turmoil.
  • Breadth of skills - Having people with different skills will allow you to handle more aspects of the game production "in house". Great writer but no art skills? Find a graphic designer to work with. Writer with no clue when it comes to math? partner up with a game designer who can figure out all the numbers for you.
  • Positive Feedback Loop - This is the big one in my opinion, the whole is really more than the sum of it's parts. Having someone who can build on your ideas and who in turn you can build upon theirs is like a force multiplier for creativity. My writing partner likes to tell the story of Monty Python's Parrot Sketch; originally Cleese was writing a sketch about a broken toaster and couldn't quite get it to work, it just kept falling flat and wasn't funny, along came Graham Chapman who said "what if it was a parrot" and suddenly everything fell into place. The Dead Parrot Sketch was born. Graham didn't write the sketch, he didn't come up with the concept, but he interjected in the parrot and that made it funny.
  • Motivation - Having other people working on the project will help motivate you to complete it. I'm lucky in that my partner is a real-life bona fide epic level project manager who's middle name is Getshitdone, but having anyone reminding you that they need something completed will help keep you on track.

Obviously there are a lot of lovely people out there, and it can be hard to find somebody that you can work with, but keep looking the results are worth it in the end.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Also, I don't have an originality bone in my body.

Originality is highly overrated.

The old saying is "Good artists copy, great artists steal" and it's one hundred percent true, nothing is completely original, everything you love is based on something that came before it. There is no crime in taking ideas from your predecessors and putting your own spin on them. We wouldn't have The Lord of the Rings if Tolkien was afraid of ripping off European folklore, we wouldn't have Star Wars if Lucas was afraid of ripping off Buck Rogers and Akira Kurosawa and we wouldn't have Pulp Fiction if Tarantino was afraid to rip off just about everyone who came before him.

Go out and find the things you like, mash them together and fearlessly create something new out of them. Just remember that the sign of a professional over an amateur is the ability to hide your sources.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Another piece of advice, especially for those that have a hard time sticking to a single project.

Set Deadlines

Seriously, give yourself a deadline for a milestone and stick to it. Say you are going to have a chapter done by the end of the month, or a rough draft done in 90 days and then do it. Don't worry about if it's good or not just get to the milestone and meet the deadline. Then you can go back later and clean it up.

Deadlines will motivate you to finish projects, and to not be distracted by other projects.

I just finished the second milestone (playable rough draft) on my game project, and at times it was tough to motivate myself to write, but I was committed to getting it done on time so I dug deep and got it done. My rough draft isn't perfect by any means but it's playable.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Don't forget our own Creative Convention and SA-Mart forums. There are some good goon artists out there, and some of them work cheaper than they really should.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I just made a post for my game Spirit of 77. It's a 70's action adventure game using the Apocalypse World engine if anyone wants to check it out.

I have some questions about organization. Does anyone have thoughts or strong opinions on how to organize a RPG book? It seems like every book I own is deficient in one way or another and I'd really like to overcome that.

Should you put the rules first? the worldbuilding? some fiction?
I had a dilemma about the character creation chapter, traditionally base attributes are explained first, but they're kind of irrelevant until you know what type of character you're going to be playing. I put them in the middle of my character creation chapter (after character classes) but it feels weird having them there.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

So someone in the "90s Xtreme Dungeon Crawlz" game in TGR wanted to know if there was a Vampire playbook for Dungeon World and that planted a bug in my head which resulted in a spontaneous 24 hour fit of inspiration during which I hashed out an entire playbook in one sitting.

That was me. I really dig the playbook, if it had been around when that game started recruiting I would have played it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

If you're only using it for a single project you should be able to get Indesign via creative cloud for a month or two for a reasonable price.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

WordMercenary posted:

Okay, so I've got an early playtest together for a superhero Apocalypse World hack. Yeah everyone tries one, but it's something simple and striking and finishing games is better than not finishing games.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting my gaming group together lately, which means I'm struggling to playtest it, so any help or feedback you guys can give would be really appreciated.

Playtest Documents

PS: Sorry for the crappy placeholder art.

There's not a lot here but it's a good start.

Apocalypse World doesn't immediately lend itself to the superhero genre as readily as other systems, but I think with some work you could make a really really good superhero game with it.

I think the big place you would need to work on for a *world superhero game is the playbooks. You can't just make them like the stock AW playbooks. Superheroes are a weird type of character because they tend to fall into specific tropes (like the brick and the vigilante, etc) but they all have unique details. The Hulk and Superman are both Bricks, but they have little in common beyond super strength and invulnerability. You need to find a way to express that with the playbooks.

A few ideas off the top of my head:
You could take a page from Dungeon World and add "backgrounds" like Alien, Robot, Mutant and give each a different starting move associated with that background.
You could have each playbook chose moves for a set of categories like some superhero video games have done. For example everyone gets an offense, defensive and movement ability. Players could mix and match to get what they want.
You could have each character pick some of their moves from a shared pool that covers all the basic generic abilities like Flight, Regeneration, armor etc.

One other thing I would suggest, check out the alternate harm rules posted in the Apocalypse World thread, I think that they would lend themselves a whole lot better to a superhero setting than the stock AW harm rules.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I've used Magic Set Editor to prototype card games before.

It's a lot of work to make your cards not look like MTG cards, but if you don't care what they look like it works pretty well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Tollymain posted:

I'm terrified of the thought of trying to do a Kickstarter.

Why? It's not like you could do worse than so many other kickstarters that have gone up.
If all you need is some art, you're goal could be pretty low, and if all you're going to do is publish digitally you don't even need to worry about printing costs or shipping product.

The KS thread is full of people with experience that can give you advice and feedback.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I know D&D/Pathfinder tend towards a "fantasy naturalism" with a lot of the monsters having mostly mundane biology, but here are a few other options:

Asexual reproduction - Fission, when one of these creatures (say a dryad) gets to a certain age, they split into two smaller younger versions of themselves. Parthogenesis, the female just produces offspring from unfertilized eggs (this occasionally happens in chicken and turkeys). Budding, the creature produces a smaller version of itself that eventually detaches and becomes it's own entity, perhaps a medusas snake hair is just her future offspring.

Fantastic reproduction - It's a fantasy setting, these creatures could have fantastic methods of reproduction. What if Medusa were created through a blood ritual, or the result of an ancient curse. Maybe Harpies are what happens when an unwanted newborn is abandoned in the forest, or when a mother eats tainted chicken eggs while pregnant. In mythology most of these creatures had fantastic origins, adapt them into something that would create an entire society of them.

Androgyny - Maybe these creatures have two sexes but the physical differences between them are so subtle that observers of any other species could never tell them apart. Or maybe they're hermaphrodites, with both sexes, or they're able to change their sex in some manner.

Extreme sexual dimorphism - The exact opposite of androgynous, the two sexes look so extremely different that nobody knows they're even the same species. Male dryads might be treants, or shambling mounds. Maybe the male is a mindless creature kept in a hidden pouch like a baby kangaroo. Or the two sexes come into violent conflict when they encounter each other outside of a very short mating season.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I use Google Docs to write my books. Google Docs supports styles but unfortunately Google Docs does not export directly to InDesign, so what I do is export to an intermediary format (RTF) and then drop the text into my InDesign document. It's clunky, and it only preserves some of the formatting, but it gets the job done.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Having given it the old 'Thou Shalt Not Use Cursive Fonts' a few posts back, I find myself in need of a font which looks like someone's handwritten it, but remains entirely legible. Anyone got any recommendations?

Check out Blambot
Fonts made for comic book lettering are all highly readable and look like they're handwritten (but not cursive).
He's also got a few fonts that are cursive-ish like Ladylike.
Many of his fonts are free for anyone except Marvel and DC and the rest are reasonably priced.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

potatocubed posted:

I ANAL and all, but this is my understanding of copyright: Copyright resides with the author unless and until they sign it over to someone else. So everything you've written is © Your Name. You could do © Company Name instead - effectively handing your copyright to the legal entity that is your company - but since you and your company are the same legal entity it's not a big deal. There may be some odd repercussions down the line later on if your company makes it big and you sell it, since anything which is still © Your Name wouldn't necessarily go with the sale, but that's a bridge you can cross when you come to it.

From what I understand, if you haven't filed all the paperwork and have the appropriate "doing business as" stuff done, then you can only retain the copyright yourself so you should put © Your Name. If you've done the paperwork for your company then you can use either, but I would recommend being consistent and using one or the other for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

At some point in the near future I'm going to write a bunch about commissioning art, but for now here's some suggestions.

If you've got money to burn you can get a concept art house to do anything you want in a short period of time. I used Conceptopolis for the cover of Spirit of 77, they were awesome (fast, professional, responsive), but expensive. I've also worked with Massive Black in the past and gotten mostly good results very quickly.

RPG.net has a freelancer forum, and a lot of artists post their portfolios and availability for commission work there. See if any of them fit the look you want and then contact them directly. Tell them what you want and what your deadline is and ask for a price quote.

If you're looking to save some money and are not in a hurry to get what you want, you can post on the job offers board on the Deviant art forums.
Some suggestions for using DA:
  • Set up a throw away email address to receive responses. You will get a lot, and many of them will be garbage. Be prepared to wade through a lot of horrible portfolios.
  • Be up front about your budget, better artists will respond if you specify how much you're willing to pay. If you're negotiable then state that in your solicitation.

No matter what you do, make a contract between you and the artist. You can find some contract templates here: https://www.artpact.com/