Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
You brought up speedruns - it's not Cosmo, but there is a guy who runs the game and has fully completed the game (all masks, hearts, fairies, etc.) in under 5 and a half hours (spoilers, obviously). He actually finishes the mountain dungeon first, after grabbing the bow and leaving, which lets him do the forest dungeon with stronger items. It's worth watching if only to see the crazy glitches (many of which were also in OOT like bomb glide, bombchu hover and infinite sword).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Good god, the lighting in that darkened room is beautiful.

Also Odolwa loving terrified me when I first played it as a stupid kid and couldn't figure out how to hurt him.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Please do show off the rest of the boss. He is rather cool when you just fight him with regular sword attacks. First time I didn't even try to use the bow.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, sweet, Thorn's LPing my two favorite Zelda games. This should be entertaining.

It's a shame Nintendo doesn't seem to have the balls to take a risk on a game like Majora's Mask anymore. Many people didn't like it for the time limit, but I think it's probably the best 3D Zelda game. If not in terms of gameplay mechanics, then definitely in terms of story and atmosphere.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

KieranWalker posted:

It's a shame Nintendo doesn't seem to have the balls to take a risk on a game like Majora's Mask anymore.

Skyward Sword was a significant departure from the standard Zelda formula of explore->dungeon->key item->explore, and A Link Between Worlds apparently lets you get all of the weapons in the game from the start and tackle dungeons in any order. I don't think it's that unlikely with how much they're trying to toy with the format these days.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I seem to remember that you could skip catching the bombers the second time by going into their secret hideout. Am I remembering right?

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Nihilarian posted:

I seem to remember that you could skip catching the bombers the second time by going into their secret hideout. Am I remembering right?

Yeah, if you just give the kid in front of the hideout the password without the hide and seek, you'll get the notebook when you come back out.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Alpha3KV posted:

Yeah, if you just give the kid in front of the hideout the password without the hide and seek, you'll get the notebook when you come back out.

Yeah, the leader basically stops you when you return and goes 'how the hell did you know the password? Whatever, you're one of us now, chump.'

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Drakenel posted:

Yeah, the leader basically stops you when you return and goes 'how the hell did you know the password? Whatever, you're one of us now, chump.'

In retrospect, it was kind of lovely that their gang was about helping people.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Obligatory Toast posted:

In retrospect, it was kind of lovely that their gang was about helping people.

How so? Young kids love secret clubs, hideouts, spy stuff, etc. Combine that with any media that tells kids that helping people is a good and positive thing, and I could see a group of kids forming a secret club to go help people out.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
The game came out, what, in 1999-2000 or so? A "secret Bomber society" had unfortunate timing, in all fairness. Now that I think about it, why were they named that? The kids have absolutely nothing to do with explosives.

By the way, if it's relevant. Right around the time the first video came up on the stream, the chat's train of thought had chugged along something like this:

1. "Thorn saying 'Cunting gently caress!' in frustration before the recording was funny."

2. "Oh hey, Happy Mask Salesman guy's creepy, especially when mad."

3. "...Wasn't the HMS based on Miyamoto?"

4. "FINGERGUNS."

And so I had to crack open Illustrator, and hastily yanked this thing together:

You can tell I was rushing it very much so that I could show it before the next video started. The text being partially cut-off and the HMS lacking parts of his torso especially, but hey. If there's a StrawHatNO LP, odds are high that weird fanart will follow.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

Skyward Sword was a significant departure from the standard Zelda formula of explore->dungeon->key item->explore, and A Link Between Worlds apparently lets you get all of the weapons in the game from the start and tackle dungeons in any order. I don't think it's that unlikely with how much they're trying to toy with the format these days.

There's two sides to the same coin in that regard. A Link Between Worlds does seem interesting in that it allows you to rent the items before you can find them in the dungeons, but the idea of item rentals was first used in the Bandai Satellaview game the Ancient Stone Tablets, which is also a direct sequel to A Link to the Past. This actually makes A Link Between Worlds the third in a single line, it just doesn't feel that way because the Satellaview game felt too ROM hack-ish and was limited in terms of memory space.

I loved Majora's Mask when I had an N64. I understand why it is that Ocarina of Time might be considered more popular, but Majora's Mask really is the better game in every way. It was like once they got the technology of the platform down using the more cliched premises of Ocarina of Time, they were able to breathe a much-needed spark of originality into every other part of the game. That's more less the case again with all the re-releases and retakes of older Zelda games these days. I recall reading on Gamasutra that the director of the Zelda games isn't necessarily remaking all the old games to cash in nostalgia, but to figure out a new workflow for Nintendo to try and develop high-definition games when they're still too used to less-resource-intensive games. It seems like all of Nintendo is slowed by R&D these days.

Really, I honestly think it's better that Nintendo kinda ignores the lessons it learned from Majora's Mask. What makes Majora's Mask so great in terms of gameplay and story and atmosphere is just how markedly different it is from the other Zelda games. If there suddenly were a new game that re-incorporated these themes back into Zelda, it would no longer be looked at as its own unique thing and merely thought of as another ape upon Majora's Mask in the same way that Twilight Princess was thought of as just another Ocarina of Time or how Phantom Hourglass was another Wind Waker.

Also, your approach to LPing this is very streamlined, Thorn. I can tell because you already have this path you're following near-meticulously throughout the southern swamp that'll basically cover everything except the spider house in a single day. I'm unsure if that's a good thing or not, since the game has all these little details everywhere that are quite easy to breeze over or miss entirely.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

How so? Young kids love secret clubs, hideouts, spy stuff, etc. Combine that with any media that tells kids that helping people is a good and positive thing, and I could see a group of kids forming a secret club to go help people out.

The only thing weird about them is that they are number coordinated and not color coordinated. I mean, except for the leader being red.

Power rangers is the joke.

Thorn, did you know there's a silly thing you can do with Kafei and the dog in south clocktown?

Arram Daywalker
Sep 30, 2013
Woo! Excited for another Zelda LP from you guys. Really enjoyed your skyward sword and I'm working through Shadows.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Gensuki posted:

Thorn, did you know there's a silly thing you can do with Kafei and the dog in south clocktown?

I've been informed about it, yes. It's on my list of things to record for after the main LP.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Gensuki posted:

The only thing weird about them is that they are number coordinated and not color coordinated. I mean, except for the leader being red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REcJpH9PbXg

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The thumbnail is a punchline in itself.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

... I've seen the guys on episode 8's thumbnail before. So that's where it comes from.

Now where the hell did I see it?

The bombers are cool I guess. I mean, I don't know where nintendo got the idea that gangs of little kids go around helping people. Is that how kids are in Japan?

Either way, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. That notebook made me feel more connected to the people of this world than I ever did to the people of Hyrule, in any incarnation.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Nihilarian posted:

... I've seen the guys on episode 8's thumbnail before. So that's where it comes from.

Now where the hell did I see it?

The bombers are cool I guess. I mean, I don't know where nintendo got the idea that gangs of little kids go around helping people. Is that how kids are in Japan?

Either way, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. That notebook made me feel more connected to the people of this world than I ever did to the people of Hyrule, in any incarnation.
The notebook is a really cool idea and it's honestly my favourite feature in Majora's Mask. Being a game about time and place, it's pretty drat well NEEDED to handle the game itself. Technically it's not even needed considering about 90% of the NPCs are tangential to the plot or even unrelated. But the world feels so ALIVE moreso because of it.
Like, everyone has a routine, everyone has a place to be, but there's not TOO many NPCs that you feel lost unlike say, Oblivion. Which while it does have a routine for every single NPC (and that is impressive no less), there's way too many and most of them are not even interesting enough to care about.
Here however, everyone is unique right down to the model, everyone has their own strife that YOU can help solve one way or another. It's a wonderful game that balances that level of busywork nicely so with gratitude and personality.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I completed at least one quest by completely ignoring the notebook and following someone (or something) throughout the three days until an interesting event resulted. Other times, I knew that someone had an event somewhere because the notebook said so, but I still had to look it up because I have no patience for searching. So it's a toss-up - I think I wouldn't have found some of the sidequests without the notebook telling me that they existed, but most Zelda games don't even give you that much help. I like it, but it's nice that you don't have to use it (and it's not really worth getting if you're familiar enough with the game, since it requires either remembering the Bombers' password or doing their minigame again, unless you can get it by entering the Observatory from Termina Field).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So this is pretty cool. Skull Kid has been announced as an assist trophy in the new Smash Bros. As much as I'd rather have him as a creative playable character, if his attack is dropping the moon down on the stage, I'll be completely okay with it.

Other things Yoshi and I think he should do:
-He does something different everytime, like a cycle. Sometimes he'll cause a random effect to the characters, like turn them into Deku Scrubs for a few seconds
-Stretch, scream, and fling himself around like a ragdoll
-Alternately, the mask flings Skull Kid around
-Point and force your character to walk off the stage
-He shows up and tries to steal your horse, but there aren't any horses around so he just kinda stays and floats in the air all disappointed through the whole match
-Show up, gives you a thumbs up, and leaves

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Everybody else busy doing better than me

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Was that the Song of Dumple Time?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Just gonna mention the things I noticed you missed.

If you clear the butler's maze as Deku Link, more specifically, start the race as deku link then probably switch to normal link because deku is actually pretty slow, clearing it gives you a heart piece
During the witch shooting gallery, if you hit her 10 times you fail. Immediately I think.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

One thing that can help with Deku Link flying challenges is noticing that his flight time is actually based entirely on distance traveled forward - for the platforms moving horizontally, you can shoot yourself straight up out of one and wait for the next one to pass under you. It's not the most efficient path, but it works well for the ones in the center. You can also get incredible distance by turning sideways while flying, then pulling backwards so you're facing where you came from - flying backwards for a while will stabilize your flight, and you can repeat the turn as many times as you want until the ground comes up and hits you. There's at least one point in the game where I used to float downward for a long time to accurately enter a tunnel without having to make a lucky jump or use a tool to get in, although again, that wastes a lot of time.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Can I just say the frame-rate looks loving gorgeous in this video especially ThornBrain? Seriously this looks amazing to watch.

The swordsman is not even the most heart-breaking case for me. There's another guy that's even more loving depressing in this game once the moon starts to fall.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 7, 2013

Batmarde
Oct 5, 2010

Bawk! Bawk !

FinalGamer posted:

Can I just say the frame-rate looks loving gorgeous in this video especially ThornBrain? Seriously this looks amazing to watch.

The swordsman is not even the most heart-breaking case for me. There's another guy that's even more loving depressing in this game once the moon starts to fall.

I think the worst is 2 sisters at the ranch, with the older one getting her little sister "drunk" so she isn't conscious when the world ends

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
I believe the word you were looking for while you were recording that video is "Zenith".

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Gensuki posted:

If you clear the butler's maze as Deku Link, more specifically, start the race as deku link then probably switch to normal link because deku is actually pretty slow, clearing it gives you a heart piece

Wrong, you only get the mask there.

FinalGamer posted:

I recorded it through my HD/progressive scan cables from the Wii. The game holds up surprisingly well at 480p.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ThornBrain posted:

I recorded it through my HD/progressive scan cables from the Wii. The game holds up surprisingly well at 480p.

The Gamecube special editions and the Virtual Console version of Ocarina of Time had their resolution doubled to 640x480, so I wouldn't be surprised if Majora's Mask had the same treatment.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Travis joins us, and promptly ruins all seriousness and dramaticism.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, I was almost starting to miss Travis's insane cackling.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

A new thing to learn, although you may already have known this one: That ice block near the Goron elder, at the top of the hill (the one you were joking about him touching and then rolling back down) has a hot spring in it. You're supposed to bring the hot spring water there, open that hole, then use that to get hot spring water for the elder and anything else you want to use it on in the village. Granted, there aren't many more places you'd need it, but I guess it's handy to have, since they replaced Blue Fire with hot water that gets cold.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Even Goron PizzaJoe still has the vocal "Huh? Huuuh? Uhhh..." for his attacks. :allears:

You guys do a good job with commentary. Your tangents are almost always topical, but still humorous. It's kind of a shame you're not getting more of a reception in this thread. Some commentators seem to struggle keeping the conversation entirely on the game.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
Interesting to note is that if you look realllly closely at the inscription on Darmani's grave it reads: "Here Lies Darmani, Goron God of Ghostly Golden Showers. Frickin', y'know?"

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
This LP is AWESOME, dudes.

I never really got into Majora's Mask when I was a kid because it was too much for me: I liked Ocarina of Time, but the whole day thing threw me for a loop.

So to see you play through it, explain it well and just have a good time is great.

It sucks that more people aren't posting in here, but just know that your work is well appreciated and that this playthrough is one of the best group LPs on SA right now.

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
Yeah, I agree this LP is awesome. I am a huge fan of Majora's Mask and am really enjoying this LP.

roybot9000 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 20, 2013

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Well, it came from his eyes.

It is currently 4 am.

You know what this inevitably leads to by now.

<Half an hour later...>

If I had the patience, I'd have had him doing a DragonBall Z style beam clash with Skull Kid or something, but sleeeeep.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

That's awesome. But now I've got the 'Jukebox Hero' song stuck in my head. With goron lyrics.

"He's a Gor. On. Hee-ro. (He's got piiisss in his eeeyyyesss)'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

To reiterate, this dungeon is most frustrating before you get the Fire Arrows. After you get them, making up for mistakes like falling to the bottom aren't as difficult since more shortcuts open up.

• Locked thread