Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, a Paradox Let's Play

Paradox does historical grand-strategy games. Crusader Kings 2 is set between 867-1453 and is mostly a RPG strategy game about leading a medieval family through the period. If you want to learn about how the game works, I would suggest reading Kersch's excellent tutorial LP.

Goddamnit, another Paradox LP!

Yeah.

Nothing really original about this, but I felt like doing it as a writing exercise. I am not sure if it has been done before on SA, but here we will be playing as a Merchant Republic, so that might be a change of pace. I am also taking a different historical start, the year of 1241, which offers a slightly different context. So read on if this interests you!

I am also not saying that this will be a mega-LP. The converter for Europa Universalis 4 sure makes it more convenient to move games forward, but it depends on how I feel about it when the time comes.

I will be focusing more on roleplaying characters' personalities, so I should be avoiding gamey strategies unless I roll a competent ambitious character. There is a lot of game ahead, specially if I play through EU4 and Victoria 2, so no rush to be the top dog of Europe.

If all goes well, I will maintain at least a weekly update schedule. More if I am particularly enthusiastic.

We'll be using the latest version of CK2+ with all the expansions.

English is my second language, so feel free to shout at me if anything comes out weird.

So, the Hansa

The Hanseatic League was historically a confederation of merchant guilds and towns that dominated trade in Northern Europe and lasted until 1862, though it was only a relevant power between the 14th and 16th centuries. Technically the Hansa did not exist at our start date, as it was formally established 1356, but this is the point when the Free Cities of Lübeck and Hamburg (the two CoAs in our banner) established their alliance, which was the basis for the league, so this is our launch point.

I'll confess that this is Wikipedia level research, and my knowledge of history is more a hobby than academic, so if anyone feels like adding to or correcting this, they are more than welcome.

The von Goon Wooden Tablet posted:

Created by Victor von Goon in 1284, this ancient board of wood registers the hard earned lessons of the family's saga.

The First Rule of Business
Never Trust a Dane

The First Rule of Business
Never Trust a Von Goon

The Second Rule of Business
Let nobles and fools die for glory, faith and honour. We fight for profit and revenge.

The Third Rule of Business
Do not anger those you can neither destroy nor buy.

The Fourth Rule of Business
Respect your elders.

The Fifth Rule of Business
Be patient. Be polite.

The Seventh Rule of Business
Sell it before you tell it.

The Eighth Rule of Business
A reliable partner is worth a thousand lives.

The Ninth Rule of Business
Read the fine print.

The Tenth Rule of Business
In defeat profit.

The Eleventh Rule of Business
We must cultivate our garden.

The Twelfth Rule of Business
Institutions before individuals. Pragmatism before ego.

The Thirteenth Rule of Business:
Do it first, do it best.

The Fourteenth Rule of Business:
Do not gently caress with Africa.

The Fifteenth Rule of Business:
I repeat, do not gently caress with Africa.

The Sixteenth Rule of Business:
Marketing is everything.

The Seventeenth Rule of Business:
Everything we give, we have the right to take back, with interest.

The Eighteenth Rule of Business:
Live the Dream.

The Nineteenth Rule of Business:
Victory in all things shall go to the one most blessed with wealth.

The Twentieth Rule of Business:
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

The Twenty-First Rule of Business:
The People are a Wave.

The Twenty-Second Rule of Business:
Mind your tongue.

The Twenty-Third Rule of Business:
The last one standing takes everything.

The Twenty-Fourth Rule of Business:
Take care of your own.

The Twenty-Fifth Rule of Business:
Victory is Priceless.

TheMcD posted:

DIE WACHT AN DER ELBE
Es braust ein Ruf wie Donnerhall,
wie Münzgeklirr und Warenschwall:
Zur Elb, zur Elb, der Hanse Elb,
wer füllt sie mit des Safrans Gelb?

CHORUS:

Lieb Vaterland, magst ruhig sein,
lieb Vaterland, magst ruhig sein.
Fest steht und treu die Wacht, die an der Elb!
Fest steht und treu die Wacht, die an der Elb!

Es winkt gut Geld, doch nicht so schnell,
denn Übereifer blendet grell;
die Hanse, höflich, klug und stark,
beschafft sich gerne Pfund und Mark.

-CHORUS-

Es stirbt der and're für sein Reich,
für Gott und Ehr' wird er 'ne Leich'.
Doch hier bei uns man das nicht sieht,
wir kämpfen nur für gut Profit.

-CHORUS-

Und wenn der Handel manchmal bricht,
trau' trotzdem doch den Dänen nicht!
Dem Alter, aber, traue gern,
halt dessen Weisheit selten fern.

-CHORUS-

In Lübeck, Hamburg, alle drin
von Island zu den Preußen hin.
Die Liga reicht nun weit und fern,
und Handel haben alle gern.

-CHORUS-

Nun merkt euch: "Geld regiert die Welt",
die Regeln über alles stellt.
Doch was auch immer wir heut' tun,
wir danken hier dem Haus von Goon!

--------------------------------------
RULE, WE HANSA!

When this league first, to profit from trade
Arose from Lübeck and Hamburg,
This was the charter of the league
And Victor von Goon wrote it down:

CHORUS:

Rule, we Hansa, we Hansa rule the waves,
and we never never never trust the Danes.

The nations, not so blest as thee,
Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall;
While thou shalt flourish rich and free,
The dread and envy of them all.

-CHORUS-

Table of Contents

1241-1254: Viktor I von Goon
1254-1263: Viktor I von Goon
1264-1270: Viktor I von Goon
1270-1275: Viktorio I von Goon

1275-1284: Victor I von Goon
1284-1301: Victor I von Goon
1301 - State of the World
1301-1310: Victor the Great
1310: Goonzusammenkommen
1310-1317: Viktor of Pomerania
1317-1329: Amadeus von Goon & Amalie Lüneburg
1329-1342: Mathias von Goon
1342-1351: Dietrich von Goon
1352: State of the World
1352-1362: Dietrich von Goon
1362-1367: Mathias II von Goon
1367-1386: Viktor III von Goon
1386: Goonzusammenkommen II
1386-1396: Bruno von Goon
1396-1425: Reinhard von Goon
1425-1434: Reinhard the Saint
1434-1435: Gerbhard von Goon
1435-1437: Thomas von Goon
1437-1440: Reinhard of Jylland

1444: State of the World

The Scenario
1440-1451: Sell it before you tell it
1451 - Hansetag: The Road to Imperialism
1451-1458: The Watch Begins
1458-1483: Guardians of the Baltic
1483-1492: Foreplay
1492-1501: Go West
1501-1523: A Reliable Partner is Worth a Thousand Lives
1523 - Hansetag: No (von) Goons Allowed
1523-1528: Build-Up
1528-1550: Europa Gooniversalis
-Gross Military Incompetence: A Calvinist Perspective
-The Diary of James II von Goon
-A Dutch Perspective
-The French League in the Reformation I
-Scandinavia in the Reformation
-As for the Latin Empire
-The French League in the Reformation II

1550-1557: Smiling from the Grave
1557-1569: A Tale of Two Goons
1569-1579: Barmherzigkeit Gottes
1579 - State of the World
1579 - Hansetag: Directions
1579-1588: Easy Pickings
1588-1604: Sleep
1604-1617: Hard Earned Lessons
1617-1630: New Exports
1630-1639: A.E.I.O.U.
1639-1643: The First Euro-Ixachitlan War
1643-1654: Gold gab ich für Eisen
1654-1661: Rule, We Hansa?
1661-1666: Rule, We Hansa!
1666-1678: The Real Rules
1678 - State of the World
1679-1709: The Thirty Years' War
1709-1731: Making Of
1731 - Hansetag: The Part Where He Kills You
1731-1734: C.Y.O.A.
1734-1751: Shiny Happy People Laughing
1751-1757: The Dead Plains of Black Cathay
The Hansa Is Dead, Long Live The Hansa!
1757-1786: Einstürzende Neubauten
1757-1786: Europa Universalis
1757-1786: The Third Rule of Business
1786: Let's Have a Ball!
1786-1820: The More Things Change
1821: The End of an Age
1821: State of the World
1822: Utundur lfif Flay T 0fall Plrlyr Mg Allianr
1823-1827: Flagsfal of Oün Falfrri

1836: The Political Situation
1836: Qart Hadasht
1836: Kay Pacha & Ixachitlan
1836: India & The Middle East
1836: East Asia & Selatan
1836: Europe & Africa
1836: Hansetag
1836: Hansetag - Europe
1836: Hansetag - India
1836: Hansetag - Ixachitlan
1836: Hansetag - Africa & The Middle East
1836: Hansetag - Asia & Selatan
1836-1840: A Beautiful Sunrise
1840-1848: The Six Habits of a Patriot
1848-1854: The Sigmar Years
1855-1861: Into the Mountains
1861: Hansetag Introduction
1861: Hansetag - Europe

1861: Hansetag - Ixachitlan
1861: Hansetag - The Middle East & India
1861: Hansetag - Africa
1861: Hansetag - East Asia
1861-1866: Something In the Water
1866-1868: The von Goon Checkbook
1868-1872: Letters in Between

1872-1886: Why did I Die?
1886: The Heart of Neubauten
1886-1892: With Eyes Wide Open
1892-1897: Go West, Again
1897-1898: Gold Rules The World
1898: The Drawing Board, Part I
1898: The Drawing Board, Part II
1898-1901: The Burning World
1901-1936: History as Written by the Viktors
Selatani Postmortem
Current Mod Version
Syndicalist Republic Minimod:
For New-Nations Mod

Prelude

I - Introducing...
II - 101
III - Planetfall
IV - Contemplative Void
V - Settling In
VI - All's Well that Ends Well

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

State of the World 1241

So here is Europe, the Mediterranean and the Near East.

At this time the Muslims have mostly been kicked out of Iberia, though they still maintain some holdouts to the south, including Granada itself, backed by the Almohads. France is marked by the rivalry between the Plantagenets (England) and the Capets (France) and has given all pretense of pretty borders. The Holy Roman Empire is dominated by the Hohenstaufens based out of Sicily, who have extended the Empire through Europe, much to the displeasure of the Pope.

To the east, well, there are Mongols. The Golden Horde is almost at the height of its power. The Eastern Roman Empire is split, with remnants of the Catholic Latin Empire established in the 4th crusade still controlling Constantinope and several splinter kingdoms, such as Trebizond and Epirus. There is also the Sultanate of Rum controlling Anatolia. The Kingdom of Jerusalem still survives, though it remains to be seen how long they will remain while surrounded by the very powerful Ayyubid Empire established by Saladin.

To our north, there are the usual Scandinavian kingdoms in their proper places and an underdeveloped Baltic, some of it still controlled by Pagans. The Teutonic Knights were invited by Poland to help them deal with this, and there is no way that will be a problem for us.

This is the Hansa's position, based on the north of the Imperial territory and comprised of the territories of the Free Cities of Hamburg and Lübeck. It is one of the highest titles of the realm, but as it lacks a proper nobility it is considered to be apart from Imperial politics and has no voice in the election of the Emperor.

Viktor von Goon, patriarch of the House we shall follow for our first chapter, often imagined himself as a great head on the sky, looking down upon the continent. Here is his daydream while perusing a map of the areas of influence of the great merchant republics. The Hansa is still small when compared to the wealth of Genoa or Venice, but has no true challenger for dominance of the Baltic and the North Sea trade.

May 1st, 1241

A ruthless and very intelligent man, who nonetheless thought himself to be the greatest mind of Europe despite scars from a very dumb incident. Viktor von Goon bribed his way into becoming the mayor of Buxtehude, and eventually leveraged his position (all of the town's money) into being elected Prince Mayor of the Hansa.

He had no family, no past and word in Lübeck was that he had anyone who could prove otherwise murdered.

He wasted no time in acquiring one, marrying for gold into the von Barderwiks, one of the established Hanseatic houses. He also knew exactly what he needed to make sure his legacy would last more than a generation.

The Emperor wasted no time either, granting the title of High Almoner to Viktor, knowing full well that the man had no taste for religion. It is unknown if he intended to insult the Pope or the Prince, but Viktor did not conceal his feelings.

He began reforms in his mansion so that he may have more privacy while counting, polishing and whispering to his lucre.

He rejoiced upon hearing the fall of the merchant republic of Novgorod. The destruction of a potential rival is always a reason for joy. He ignored the naysayers who insisted that the Mongols would not be the most forthcoming trade partners if they conquered the Baltic.

A daughter was born, which was exactly what he didn't need if his House was to continue at the forefront of Hanseatic politics. He spent enough time in the bedchamber with his wife to make sure she wouldn't disappoint him again. His indifference and neglect had a price, however.

A tense atmosphere reigned in the household after the fact, and Viktor further alienated his court in this time, even arresting the Wittenborg patriarch over flimsy suspicions.

Many said that God Himself was displeased with Viktor's neglect for his daughter, and his merchant company suffered greatly in the following months.

As if adding insult to injury, unwanted guests soon arrived.

While many hoped that the vikings would rid the Hansa of its most decidly uncharming tyrant, Viktor remained calm, gathering the militia from Hamburg and combining it with the garrison of Lübeck and his own household troops.

To a smashing victory. His reputation improved for a total of a few days.

His wife wanted to name the child after herself, so that the Saints would know to protect her. Viktor insisted on calling her Sofie, however.

Later, during the weekend, he accidentaly threw the baby away with the bathwater, and told his wife that she could have some daughters if she would give him a son first.

He decided to take up drinking as a hobby.

Only his fantastic singing voice kept his wife from fleeing in terror from the von Goon household. He was glad to blame some mendicant monks for it when a scandal broke out.

He had plans for taking over Holstein in the near future, and used this as another opportunity to spit in the face of the church.

Finally, his first born. Engeltrudis wanted to name the child after Saint Peter as thanks, but Viktor knew who truly deserved the credit.

He had other firsts to drink to.

Viktor was in such an excellent mood that he missed a great opportunity to shut up at the man's funeral. His claims that he was equating the dead Wilhelm to a God did not help.

Other sons began to come, and as the most important man in the universe he saw it fit to name them variations of his dearest name.

There was even a new Sofie! He "swore" on his "mother's grave" that this would not "die from neglect", and his wife had no ground for complaining, since she could clearly make new Sofies as needed.

With so many children running around the house, he initiated a policy of sending them off to be educated by anyone who looked competent. Maybe some of them would even believe he trusted them!

"von Goons have no friends, only interests", he would often say when questioned as to why he rarely had guests over.

He was not entirely mirthless. Upon realizing that after a decade his Sofie was finally one year old he held a Summer Fair for her.

It was not without victims.

And then, well, all hell broke loose.

His own personal nemesis, the Duke of Holstein (who actually had little recollection of Viktor even existing), had gathered the support of almost the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire in his bid for the throne. Viktor's resentment only grew, as he seemed to be the only lord who did not receive an invitation to the coup. It was a bad time to be an accidental loyalist.

Damnit.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 6, 2013

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Man, I love Paradox LPs. Always happy to see more of them, and this is looking really entertaining so far.

Also, Viktor is awesome. He's the best and he knows it. :allears:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Looking forward to this - should be a nice change of pace from the more traditional starts.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm surprised his daughter isn't named Victoria (or some variation thereof), really.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

biosterous posted:

I'm surprised his daughter isn't named Victoria (or some variation thereof), really.

Yeah, I only realized that after commiting to Sofie, then I figured I might as well stick with Sofies until one survived childhood.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thought you'd go with Valeria... von Goon :doom:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Poor, poor Frederick II. Even in alt-history, the Hohenstaufens have to get hosed over in their moment of triumph. Hopefully this time around the Popes don't sanction a quarter-century of thorough assassinations to utterly stamp out the Hohenstaufen bloodline like they did IRL.

EDIT: even though it's only 25 years after this start, it's a shame the game couldn't model something like the Second Baron's War in England. Simon de Montfort would presumably be rebelling for lowering Crown Authority, not locking the King up and giving political power to Parliament like he did IRL.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 6, 2013

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Going to echo the excitement over the non-traditional startdate, this is looking pretty interesting.

:stare:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^
Yeah, as I later realized this happened just after Frederich II's death, so they are revolting against his son, Conrad. I've played a bit ahead of where the LP is now, so I'll see where the dynasty is nowadays.

I guess the best CK2 can do for representing something like the Baron's War would be to lower crown authority, even if it increases the power of the landed aristocracy rather than parliment.

Pimpmust posted:

Thought you'd go with Valeria... von Goon :doom:

Yeah... One of the sad things about playing republics is that it is pretty much impossible to have a woman holding an important rank, as succession is by Agnatic Seniority, so once Viktor and his sons pass away old men will be the future, and the only chance we'll have of a woman at the helm is if every single male of our dynasty dies. There is an advantage to that, since age is one of the major factors in selecting the Prince Mayor during republican succession.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I have a huge weakness for Paradox LPs, and I'm gonna watch this one like a hawk. :neckbeard:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh my. I'm a massive sucker for the Hanse (to the point where Patrician III is one of my favorite games), so I'm definitely going to be watching this one.

Our position really isn't great - and with the other republics already well established, we really have to hustle to set ourselves up as a prime competitor, although with the lack of competition, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I started a game in 1066 in pretty much the same position (Mayor of Hamburg), and by 1231 I was Holy Roman Emperor. We should at least be able to carve ourselves a little Baltic realm (if that is what we're going for - with the Hanse, the options are very varied).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Viktor I von Goon: 1254-1263

As it turned out it was a brief civil war, given how little support the Hohenstaufens had.

In the chaotic aftermath several states simply abandoned the HRE. Apart from the island of Sicily itself, still ruled by the deposed Konrad, the Empire lost all its authority south of the Alps. It would be a long time until the region stabilized. The Baltic Coast also refused to acknowledge the new Emperor, including the Hansa itself.

Note: I am not sure what exactly happened here, mechanically speaking. I guess all titles not in the De Jure area of the Empire simply seceded after the succession war?

The Prince was delighted to use his newly gained independence to taunt the old Emperor Adolf, who was busy trying to establish his legitimacy. It was clear, according to his paid-for legal document, that as an exclave of the HRE, it would only be fair for Holstein to be declared a Free City, and thus liable to join the Hansa of its own free will. Now that he had a claim over area, which would have to wait for another imperial civil war, he decided to focus on strenghtening the von Goon power base within the Hansa.

Viktor out, Viktor in. He knew how to run with the punches life offered him.

Even his detractors had to concede that the Hansa was growing richer under his helm.

Viktor was very offended that the visitor did not feel honoured for being offered the very same ditch the Patrician had forgotten some of his least favourite children in.

In 1258 he gained the legal recourse he needed to become mayor of Hamburg. After all, the city was controlled by the von Bardewiks, a House he was married to. As he had proven thus far, he was easily the most fit member of the family to rule the area and it would be irresponsible of him to allow anyone else to rule it. It was a finnicky excuse, but all he needed, as he was the one with the troops and the gold.

But before he could deal with this, he was needed in the trade post of Holstein to receive the best of the news: Emperor Adolf now knew who he was. With a new spring on his step he asked the armed mob to "Please think of the money!". His enthusiasm was so contagious that they forgot the earlier violence and a spontaneous party began, much to the chagrin of the Emperor.

He was surprised to find that Engeltrudis had actually missed him while he was gone, so he arranged for her an image of himself so she might continue to admire him even as he travelled far and wide.

She would be needing it.

Fearing for the discovery of his affair, he arranged for the most competent man who did not openly despise him to serve as a Spymaster. It was a less than ideal choice. And one that would prove prudent, even if not entirely necessary.

He would not abandon one of his name behind. Specially one who came from the one woman he had cared about.

Growing older and more contemplative, he imagined the dead Berchte accompanying him in his garden, and came to care for it as if it was almost as important as his ego.

In the early sixties the most woundrous news arrived from the west. Viktor would spend whole afternoons questioning sailors arriving from the British Isles about these peculiar visitors from across the sea. As more and more rumours came, he was convinced that he had been born in the wrong continent.

His passion for all things Aztec was so great that he was the first man to trade with them in the Hansa and to have this "chocolate" as a delicacy in his palace. One night, while sipping of this sweet nectar he remembered something he had neglected.

He gathered his entire army and demanded control of Hamburg. The von Bardewiks opted to resist his powerplay. With their palace under siege, they used their coffers to hire Italian mercenaries to respond to the Prince.

He occupied the city and then sent his forces against the Italians, who were joined by the von Bardewik household troops. It was a disaster.

Humbled and with Lübeck about to surrender to the "rebels", Viktor opted to hire mercenaries of his own. The Company of the Rose fought a brief mock battle with their counterpart, who conceded that they were far outnumbered and abandoned the field as true professionals.

Things developed quickly afterwards, and Baldewin von Balderwick was kept as a hostage to assure his family's loyalty. The conflict left the Hansa considerably impoveriched, with most of its cities producing less than half or even a third of their pre-war wealth. It would be many years before the scars of this conflict would be forgotten.

But Viktor won, and that's what mattered.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2013

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The second link in the OP needs a [/url]

Victor is the best at being a dad. 3 dead daughters and a dead lover. Oh my :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

:stare: Aztecs? WHAT? Is this just the kooky CK2 way of avoiding having to deal with early exploration without touching a New World map, but adding in New World products?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aztecs were added as an ahistorical DLC called Sunset Invasion, it is optional even if you do own it and adds several events concerning a much more advanced America. I choose to have it active because it'd make for an interesting age of exploration when I do move onto EU4, and it is a nice subversion of the "Europe Conquers the World" schtick.

Veloxyll posted:

The second link in the OP needs a [/url]

Thanks, fixed.

And hey, he just lost two Sofies and one Viktor!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rodyle posted:

:stare: Aztecs? WHAT? Is this just the kooky CK2 way of avoiding having to deal with early exploration without touching a New World map, but adding in New World products?

The Sunset Invasion DLC is Paradox's answer to Eastern Europe and Muslim lands saying "It's not fair that we get hit with absurd hordes while Western Europe remains unscathed."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Any chance that they'll just decide to stew in Ireland, or is that just the tutorial island of their invasion of the continent?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Patter Song posted:

Any chance that they'll just decide to stew in Ireland, or is that just the tutorial island of their invasion of the continent?

Last time I met them they took most of Iberia. And Africa.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Patter Song posted:

They have ridiculous bullshit attrition-proof deathstacks, a bunch of events that make them even stronger, and some bullshit that prevents you from inheriting their empire through marriage and stabbing. They're the end boss of Europe.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Haha, nice, this sounds awesome, can't wait for more. I'm actually do my historical thesis on the Hanseatic League, so this will be fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ahahaha aztec invasion is the best thing. I thought I was going mad when I read the first text box.

I like the comment about mercenary armies not actually fighting each other, as I recall, renaissance Italy had a lot of problems with that, especially when the other European powers came knocking with real armies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote that blurb.

The Aztecs actually have two invasion forces, the first one in the British Isles and a second one in Iberia/Maghreb. The second stack landed in Algarve, but hadn't done anything interesting by the end of the update, so it was ommited.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I really hope Spain becomes New Aztlan and stays that way through the rest of the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Viktor von Goon - 1263-1270

The Viktor children began to come of age. Much to his dismay, his surviving eldest and successor, had turned into an humourless firebrand bearing a mockery of his own smirk. Still, he knew what he had to do with these young adults.

His House had to gain legitimacy as a proper player in Europe, he arranged marriages with the Capet of France, as well as Venice and the Duchy of Modena in Italy.

As his palace filled with commemorations over the rise of the von Goons, he was distraught with the news that the Wittenborg had failed to invite his family to their Great Ball. He had no choice but to visit them, forcefully.

And forcefully did he leave as well.

Fascinating news continued to arrive from the Americas. He would often brag about the destrier he once sold to an Irishman, who was clearly the father of the Aztec Cavalry.

Another bastard arrived and was legitimized, much to his children's despair. Now they had to accept the maid's daughter as one of their own.

Viktor's ambitions continued to grow. He managed to establish a pen friendship with Huewhatever, an Aztec navigator who was glad to practice native languages, and shared some navigational techniques conversationally.

And then Viktor choked on a potato. Leaving Hamburg and the other family possessions to the oldest member of his lineage, the fairly young count Viktorio, who hadn't changed much in these last few years, except for adopting an affair with his brother's wife.

It was now the time for the dishonorable, but all too ambitious, patriarch of the Lüneburg to guide the Hansa onwards, but this was not his history.

Viktorio I von Goon - 1270-1275

Viktorio's great love was his family.

Maybe too much, in fact.

As more of Viktor's children became adults, and with their palace now properly moved to their seat in Hamburg, Viktorio saw himself in position to expand the family's trade into Denmark in order to compete financially with the other noble houses. The von Goons were still few, young and lacked in everything but money and lackeys when compared to their rivals, so it was important to remain competitive where they could.

Not that the trade post was Viktorio's only reason for visiting Denmark.

Viktor's plan to take control of Holstein came to fruition as another revolt struck the Empire, unfortunately it would not be a von Goon collecting the spoils.

It was alright, his son had designs of his own. Ones his pious mind justified as guarding the souls of his enemies against the terrible sin of pride.

Little did he know, the Hubris would be his own.

It was a week until Viktorio managed to eat again. The screams of the men as they were consumed by a slow fire haunted him, and were accompanied by equally haunting news from across the seas.

Hamburg suffered as its Prince distracted himself with the thoughts of his own guilt and distant nightmares.

It was only in the arms of his brother's wife that he found any solace.

And then he heard a pale rider approaching in a storm. Viktorio reached out to his cuckolded brother and confessed his sins. Of the men who suffered and died in his name, of the love that he stole from his kin, of his privilege that God Himself was now righteously taking away. His only hope was that Victor would take better care of those who trusted him.

Despite not being strangled, Viktorio did not survive the night.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

This should get interesting. Losing the leadership of the republic is something one should never ever have happen when you're playing to win/expand/whatnot, and as such I've always avoided it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

TheMcD posted:

This should get interesting. Losing the leadership of the republic is something one should never ever have happen when you're playing to win/expand/whatnot, and as such I've always avoided it.

Especially is they can drag your into wars, I once played a republic and lost control the Doge got into a war and got his title stripped ending the game for me.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Thank you for doing this. I somehow never got around to playing as a Republic, and only used the Sunset Invasion once or twice - so this should be interesting to see.

It's funny how cynical old Viktor's progeny all seem to be zealots so far.

How is the Empire doing?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It had a couple of other civil wars, but seems to have stabilized now that it has Gavelkind succession. It is currently being ruled by the von Schaeunburgs of Bavaria and seems to be focusing its external policy on recovering Italy.

On the matter of being a minor subject of the republic. I must admit that we do run several risks, specially since we cannot contribute warscore from battles to our liege if we take part in any of his wars, but we should be free from the possibility of suffering a game over once the Republic expands beyond the Duchy of Holstein. There is the upside that we weren't the only family in the Hansa to marry into the Capets, the Lüneburgs, who are the ruling dynasty, had their own French marriage, so if worse comes to worse (the HRE comes back for Holstein), we can at least invite the kingdom of France to help save us.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Wittenborg! :argh:

That Albrecht has outlived two of our rulers. It's an insult to the entire Von Goon dynasty! This must end in some good old-fashioned stabbing, or there is no justice in the world. :saddowns:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Victor von Goon - 1275-1284

The eldest man of the von Goons, and now their leader, Victor von Goon was ill-fit for increasing the family's power within the League. He was an open and honest man, infinitely patient, loyal to God and abhorred violence, he prefered to spend his days indulging in God-Given worldy pleasures and books rather than plotting or managing the family business. As patriarch he developed a passion for people other than himself. He was clearly his father's opposite.

He was also married to a woman who openly hated him. Giovanna blamed Victor for Viktorio's death and would often bemoan that God had taken the wrong von Goon to anyone who would hear.

Not that this prevented the couple from having children, even if they hardly shared their chambers.

Victor was well-known for his erudition, which he would often share during lavish banquets, something the ruling Lüneburgs were glad to acknowledge. He used his position to foster good relations with the ruling house and to express his desire to put the League ahead of his personal ambitions.

He was also deeply aware of his shortcomings, and found that his love for books could actually contribute to his duties.

In 1278 a new Prince was elected, this time from the von Bardewiks. Victor hoped they would look past the violent capture of Hamburg from them. Despite his good intentions, he had to miss the ceremony, as his second son was born, concluding his loveless marriage.

Giovanna's hatred for bearing one of Victor's children was so great that it was the death of her. For his part, the Patrician was sad for her death, but had to admit he was glad to no longer hear long diatribes about how horrible he was and how Viktorio was a much better man.

He re-married, this time into House von Bardewik. The wedding contract stipulated that he would not use this to claim anything from the family's property.

A kind woman with a great mind for finances and as little patience for politics as her new husband, Christine often enjoyed Victor's company and conversations, but most nights would prefer to sleep in her own quarters with her maid-of-honor, to best guard her virtues, so she said.

Simon was an ambitious man, with dreams of seeing the Hansa directly ruling all of the Baltic coast. His numbers were still doubtful against the Duke of Mecklenburg, so Victor offered his own troops to aid the war.

While great in number, many saw that there was hardly any real military leadership left in the von Goon Household, and many veteran soldiers waxed nostalgic over the "good old days under the first Viktor".

Numbers did suffice, however, and the war soon became an one-sided affair, adding another Free City to the League.

As his soldiers fought and died in winter, Victor spent some time reading fantastic accounts from events across the sea. The Aztecs had not ventured forth in this last decade, apparently sathed with the blood of Irishmen and satisfied to turn the Emerald Isle into a mass plantation of potatoes with their white slaves.

His first child with Christine was born in May, he saw fit to thank Saint Matthias for his great luck in finding a wife who did not hate him.

An interest in architecture struck him one day, and he decided to further develop the family's palace.

With so much time spent around the house he noticed that the garden had been terribly neglected since his father's passing. He wondered which of his father's enemies were the found skeletons, but that was a question that would only be answered seven centuries later on a TV special.

The company of the workers and gardeners around his estate made him more aware of his excessses, and his famous daily feasts concluded. He would now only indulge them in a weekly basis.

In 1284 one of his captains arrived with a cargo of coca leaves. Apparently the ship had been intercepted by an Aztec captain who recognized the von Goon coat of arms and gave the boxes as a gift, wishing Victor good health and fortune. The Patrician was very confused by this turn of events.

The year concluded in a darker note, however.

Despite paying their ransom, his men were still butchered like animals. Victor walked dumbstruck around the streets of Hamburg, eventually buying a large piece of board and a sharp knife. He brought these to the inner chambers of his family and nailed the board to a wall, then he carved:

First Rule of Business:
Never Trust a Dane.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ZearothK posted:

First Rule of Business:
Never Trust a Dane.

There is nothing like a Dane. Nothing in the world. There is nothing you can name that is anything like a Dane. There are no poisons like a Dane, and nobody drinks like a Dane. There are no brutes like a Dane, and nobody loots like a Dane. Nobody extorts like a dame, or cheats like a Dane. There ain't a thing that belongs to any man here that can't be stolen by putting him near a back-stabbing, savage, scummy, lowlife Dane.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ZearothK posted:

First Rule of Business:
Never Trust a Dane.
How long until we can abuse the Danish tendency to bend at the knees? Or hasn't the curse happened to them at this early a point in history?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zearoth, I don't mean to distract from the LP, but you've stopped posting in the main Paradox thread - are you planning to fix Imperialist Adventures of Serbia and Friends? The mod crashes (for me, anyway) around 1850 no matter what I do, who I am playing as, and this persists despite reinstallation of both V2 and the mod.. I can post a save if you need it.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this so far! Merchant republics have been a sadly neglected aspect of the game in terms of LPs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jazerus posted:

Zearoth, I don't mean to distract from the LP, but you've stopped posting in the main Paradox thread - are you planning to fix Imperialist Adventures of Serbia and Friends? The mod crashes (for me, anyway) around 1850 no matter what I do, who I am playing as, and this persists despite reinstallation of both V2 and the mod.. I can post a save if you need it.

I actually have a newer version of the mod on my computer, which, according to my hands-off games kept crashing regularly, but not inexorably, around the 1880s. Unfortunately Victoria 2's error logs are all too useless and the Clausewitz Validator didn't find me anything useful either, so I got somewhat burn-out with the whole project, though I still intend to work on it when I am less frustrated/distracted. I think it may have been a conflict introduced with patch 3.03, since before that the mod was considerably more stable. I do know it is somehow related to events, as purging the entire \events folder makes the game crash free.

If you want to give that version a spin and see if it at least fixes whatever is hitting you in the 50s, you can grab it here. Someday, someday.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I actually have a newer version of the mod on my computer, which, according to my hands-off games kept crashing regularly, but not inexorably, around the 1880s. Unfortunately Victoria 2's error logs are all too useless and the Clausewitz Validator didn't find me anything useful either, so I got somewhat burn-out with the whole project, though I still intend to work on it when I am less frustrated/distracted. I think it may have been a conflict introduced with patch 3.03, since before that the mod was considerably more stable. I do know it is somehow related to events, as purging the entire \events folder makes the game crash free.

If you want to give that version a spin and see if it at least fixes whatever is hitting you in the 50s, you can grab it here. Someday, someday.

Thanks. This will at least let me enjoy uniting France and swinging my weight around for a few decades before worrying about a crash.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Victor von Goon - 1284-1301

On Victor's initiative the League pressured cartographers to draw the Free Cities of the Hansa in more modern colours, to better differentiate them from the Holy Roman Empire.

There was a slight typo when the scribe noted another one of his many children.

He continued to increase his contact with the common folk, developing the popularity his father lacked.

In late '86, something terrible happened to the "Mayor of the People".

:doom:

A week later Victor remembered that he still retained his position as High Judge of the Hansa, and so wrote a court order for his own release. The League was surprised to see him free so soon, but no one touched the subject and the event was quickly forgotten.

Note: I have no idea what was going in the AI's mind. I guess it was forced to arrest Victor due to the event, and then went "No, this is a loyal vassal" and let him go.

A free man, he continued Viktor's policy of marrying into Europe's nobility, this time the ruling house of Poland.

Not only settling matters between merchants and nobles, he also set time aside for the domestic disputes of peasants.

Simon held a Grand Tournament for the victories in the Baltic. Not a fan of violence, but also not wanting to test his lord's patience after the incident last year, Victor attended it, to be quickly unhorsed. His reputation suffered somewhat.

He knew he had no ability to keep an affair a secret, and the scandal would put a dent on his political career.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Victor would write in his journal. It is unknown if Congreve had access to it, but the English poet did spend a summer in Lübeck before penning The Mourning Bride.

In 1292 Simon finally passed away, giving place to a Lüneburg prince. He was somewhat shy, and put off by Victor's loud voice and love for Christ.

After almost a decade of activity, Victor got his man, and Hamburg was once again a safe city to do business in or get drunk at any hour.

He held a party to commemorate his triumph, inaugurating a delightful pond in his garden to impress his guests. Later, when the visitors were gone he looked upon it and for a moment thought he saw his father's smiling visage in the waters. He wondered if this meant he was proud for what his son was achieving.

But it was probably something else, given the news that welcomed Victor upon waking up.

There was a considerable panic in Lübeck due to the fall of Córdoba, driving the entire city to stop for a whole day.

One is never too old for self-improvement!

Specially when he's next in line to lead the Republic, provided he could outlive a man ten years his senior.

If he was to accomplish this, he had to escape his reputation as a weakling, and so the von Goon troops marched to seize the underdeveloped region of Wolgast.

It was not a difficult campaign. He distributed the lesser holdings between some of the men in his family, though he maintained control of the capital, promising to turn it into one of the jewels of the Baltic.

After the campaign it was 1300, and Victor had half a century under his belt. He felt it was time to ponder over the state of the world.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ZearothK posted:

[...]

It was not a difficult campaign. He distributed the lesser holdings between some of the men in his family, though he maintained control of the capital, promising to turn it into one of the jewels of the Baltic.

Doesn't the "seize coast" CB only give you the city in the county (which usually isn't the capital) if you win?

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Yes, but if you already own said city, you can seize the entire county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SniHjen posted:

Yes, but if you already own said city, you can seize the entire county.

Right, I forgot that was Seize Coast as well and simply thought the holding the hostile troops were sieging was the trade post.

• Locked thread