Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am asked to know way too much theory.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an LP stuck in a math-induced black hole.

Yeah, we start the LP when we have too much time on our hands, but then life goes on and 'oh dear'.

Have to say you do a pretty amazing job in creating interesting stories from the relatively stale DH gameplay, you set a bloody high-bar for anyone wanting to do a narrative Hearts of Iron LP in this forum.

This is the LP in question, for those feeling left out of the conversation. You would probably enjoy reading it if you've come this far in this thread.

Also, re: Stellaris, post Clarke-patch:
Total Warhammer is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Chiming in to confirm that Chief Savage Man's LP is amazing.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, we start the LP when we have too much time on our hands, but then life goes on and 'oh dear'.

I think most mega-LPs end up like that. Since starting mine, I moved cities, got a new job, lost a job and got another job, and that's not even starting on the film stuff. poo poo adds up, man.

Side note: holy poo poo, gently caress Lin Alg.

ZearothK posted:

This is the LP in question, for those feeling left out of the conversation. You would probably enjoy reading it if you've come this far in this thread.

Ooh, this looks fun.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I thought I was going to avoid it by not having to do any kind of conversion or modding. But after trying to parse all kinds of textbook material after work, I'm usually in the mood to beat up drowners or sectoids or drowning cities in poop.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Look at me, doing my part to keep this out of the archives. Anyways, just found out about this LP a few days ago and holy Jesus was it awesome - really hope you continue into Stellaris ZearothK. Loved the Seletani and trying to figure out just what the hell was going on (my money was on a prelapsarian/antediluvian/whatever other adjective you want to use to describe a human precursor civilization that wiped itself out a couple thousand years ago and that event became the story of the Biblical flood among the few survivors who became the modern human race - nice to see I was at least kinda right-ish). Mildly disappointed that the thread missed out on Maximum Selatani by choosing to focus on Europe over Asia during that one EUIV vote years ago, WE should have been the ones that turned into insane cultists with nukes a few centuries early. Anyways, real bang-up job all around.

P.S. ZearothK do you by any chance play/used to play a certain text based game set in a very particular version of Victorian London with heavy gothic and Lovecraftian influences? "Delicious friends" is quite an interesting turn of phrase to see crop up here............

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crazycryodude posted:

Look at me, doing my part to keep this out of the archives. Anyways, just found out about this LP a few days ago and holy Jesus was it awesome - really hope you continue into Stellaris ZearothK. Loved the Seletani and trying to figure out just what the hell was going on (my money was on a prelapsarian/antediluvian/whatever other adjective you want to use to describe a human precursor civilization that wiped itself out a couple thousand years ago and that event became the story of the Biblical flood among the few survivors who became the modern human race - nice to see I was at least kinda right-ish). Mildly disappointed that the thread missed out on Maximum Selatani by choosing to focus on Europe over Asia during that one EUIV vote years ago, WE should have been the ones that turned into insane cultists with nukes a few centuries early. Anyways, real bang-up job all around.

P.S. ZearothK do you by any chance play/used to play a certain text based game set in a very particular version of Victorian London with heavy gothic and Lovecraftian influences? "Delicious friends" is quite an interesting turn of phrase to see crop up here............

Thanks! I am always curious about the impressions from people who read the LP in a very short period of time, glad to hear you enjoyed it!

And yeah, I used to play Fallen London a fair a bit a few years back, and Sunless Sea not so far ago.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I thought I was going to avoid it by not having to do any kind of conversion or modding. But after trying to parse all kinds of textbook material after work, I'm usually in the mood to beat up drowners or sectoids or drowning cities in poop.

Hell, same games even.

Anyways, without further ado...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Hanseatic League had won.

It took only seven centuries, thirty something generations, gradual iterations on the principles of power that informed the actions of its founders in the mid 1200s. Thanks to the aid of the ruins of a lost space-faring civilization, they achieved the technology necessary to enter the space age as a sovereign power, ready to take on the galaxy.

The Wittenborg family, recently returned from its exile from power, had the fortune to oversee these first confident steps into sidereal space. Mei was the finest of their lot and still young enough as she took the position of Statthalter to exert unmatched influence over the decisions of the Hansa in the coming century.

Power legitimized through wealth became the norm through the Global Common Market and soon nation states began to be sold to the highest bidder. As the wealthiest institution in the planet, responsible for 80% of the world production and almost all of its banks, the Hanseatic League became the umbrella corporation of every human endeavour.

It was thus that Gavin Weyland, the richest man in Britain, gained for Weyland-Yutani the contract responsible for the global fund established by the Hansa to direct economic development within Earth itself. Some, specially amongst critics of the League, voiced concerns over the power this position provided.

They were still stuck in the past. Unaware that Earth was about to become a very small part of the Hansa’s power.

No longer bound by gravity, the laws of physics or any ethics other than the accumulation of wealth, the Hanseatic League began an audit of the solar system and the neighboring Alpha Centauri. In the following years the Hansa’s access to the resources of these and other star systems would multiply its economy, to the point where the Earth would matter primarily as an administration and population hub rather than the economic heart of the League.

Enormous mining stations began to fill the solar system, gaining ample access to minerals once considered rare on Earth and harvesting power from Jupiter and its moons. It was only by directing this surplus to military expansion that the League could prevent hyperinflation and an economic collapse in its finest hour.

It was not without necessity. The expeditionary fleet had scouted the neighboring stars and found them teeming with activity.

Enormous beasts, with the power to burn worlds to sathe unknown hungers.

Mysterious entities of gas and light inhabiting the event horizon.

Living crystalline architecture, wildly territorial in its manifestations.

And the more comprehensible: communist criminals, financed by New Aztlan and the Oste Wasi, whose long-running spy rings had provided them with the technology needed to trouble the League in outer space.

But there was a cure for these many ills.

Though inexperienced in waging wars in space, the Hansa found that its surplus of nuclear missiles, once a military deterrent against their enemies on Earth, could be gratuitously deployed against these many threats.

It was very fortunate that Uranium had become a lot more common.

With the way forward secure, the League decided it was time for humanity to spread beyond Earth, much to the initial chagrin of the Weyland-Yutani leadership, who had believed their position as administrators of Earth had given them victory in the great game.

The first of the colony ships was finished in 1968, the Apollo, its destiny Alpha Centauri under the reformed Ascomanni Gesellschaft, now a subsidiary of Morgan Industries.

With no interference from academics, collectivists, ecologists, humanitarians, phalangists or zealots, Alpha Centauri, or Neo Lübeck as the Planet was trademarked, flourished.

And where there was prosperity, trade soon followed.

Manufactured products from Earth were in high demand in Neo Lübeck, and in turn the exotic spices of the new planet found an ample market amongst the wealthiest of Earth. It was like the return of the Age of Discovery for the Aztec and Incan Empires, though with less civilization destroying plagues and wars.

The free market had adapted well to the challenges of the stars.

Or had it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Inside a nondescript one-of-a-kind massive spaceship somewhere between Earth and the Halo Stars.

The five, descendants of the five, carriers of their genes and legacy, were gathered. The atmosphere was atypically merry, their ship would soon arrive in Sirius, the planet they would govern, and this called for celebration, drinks and powder filled a table usually covered in documents.

Viktor von Goon was about to say they were not so bad after all when the holographic display popped-up.

“Greetings, administrators of Sirius.” it was Mei Wu-Tang Beigh, the hologram made her appear to be taller than she actually was, she maintained a cold expression and enunciated each word carefully “I am here to inform you that your services will no longer be necessary by the League.”

“gently caress you say?” Viktor responded reflexively, the hologram continued impassively.

“This ship has been prepared to send you into the outer rim and to self-destruct when in orbit of a fitting place for your exile,” Viktor and the others began to shout over Mei, until Irene Lüneburg pointed out that it was obviously pre-recorded due to the lack of latency and Masif-Otter interf... Then they interrupted her because it looked like the Mei hologram was saying something important.

“... what you may need to survive. As for the 10 thousand crew personnel aboard the ship, their families will receive a generous indemnity for their loss. We are sorry for any discomfort, but this has been deemed necessary to rid the Hansa of Marianne von Bardewick.”

Morgan and Lüneburg ran off from the room, leaving von Goon and Warendorp to stare at the pale matriarch of the von Bardewick dynasty. She did her best to appear indifferent, as if this was nothing more than a blown tire or a bit of rain in a wedding day.

“If this has been synchronized adequately, you have approximately ten minutes to reach the escape pods. Farewell, please never come back.”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:tviv:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well if we're gonna get punk'd that's a pretty loving good way to do it

also "Mae Bae" huh?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:getin:

We're gonna make the Trade Federation look like a bunch of commies, aren't we?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I was about to ask if it wouldn't be wiser to wait for at least the Heinlein update to come out, but man...

I'm looking forwards to this. :allears:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

"Wu-Tang Beigh"? Oh god, that hurts.

Still, really looking forward to seeing the Hanse conquer space.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aw yes, HansaLP is back and it's now including Rimworld, this is going to be awesome.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

...Our five exiles.

One of the many Viktors in the von Goon family, he lived a pretty vanilla life for someone of his background, though he had a brief friendship in his teenage years with the maid’s son, a classic Glasgow punk. He appropriated many of the boys war stories as his own.

First of her class in Arkham, Irene is a wildly ambitious mathematical genius. Responsible for creating no less than thirty-eight start-ups in the early days of the Internet (mostly Unicorns), the Lüneburgs decided she was a good candidate to grant verisimilitude to the condemned expedition, if only to stop her from bankrupting another company with her schemes.

The mysteriously unaging Matriarch of the von Bardewick dynasty and the ruler of the erstwhile Hanseatic Raj. The Hansa and her family have been trying to get rid of her for decades, and exiling her to the Halo Stars seems to be a good enough solution.

A nephew of Nwabudike Morgan, Nabwe was an overachiever within the company, always striving to be the best. He was so successful at this that allies of Nwabudike acted behind his back to send the kid into the condemned expedition in order to avoid a corporate coup.

Poopo had to deal with being part of the poorest family amongst the 0.00001% richest inhabitants of Earth while growing up. His parents compensated by spoiling him rotten. He grew up into trust-fund adult by day, serial-killer by night.

PLANETFALL:
So, help me figure this one out, where did this wonderful group of people manage to make landfall with their escape pods?

A tropical region with a varied - and possibly hostile - fauna, a lot of rain, a lot of trees and a good chance of malaria.

A desert region with a lot of minerals, a harsh weather and relatively little life, animal or otherwise.

A boreal region with plenty of coniferous trees, swamps, wild animals and a relatively short growing season.

:siren:Vote’s On:siren:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Knowing nothing about this game, A seems the most logical choice. After all, their ancestors made their fortunes in the coastal trade, why would they choose any site not connected to the water?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to vote for C, surviving in the cold is an interesting balancing act and should be fun.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Awesome first update for Stellaris. I haven't really played it since launch, is this modded in any way or are civilian ships and trade included in one of the updates?

Never played Rimworld, voting C.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Awesome first update for Stellaris. I haven't really played it since launch, is this modded in any way or are civilian ships and trade included in one of the updates?

It's a mod.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

It is very modded. If I do start Stellaris it will be after the next big patch (or the one after it), so that update will be mostly retconned.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Had I been wanting to give you a hard time just because Marianne is there and we want her gone I would've voted for B or C, since both sounds like horrible starts. That's not really my style though so I'm putting up yet another vote for the start which sounds like the least bad one, A.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd probably go for A, I like coastlines.

Also nice switcharoo, I approve. Got a link to the mod that introduces civilian trade for Stellaris, by the way? That's something the game sorely needs and I'd love to see what people have done with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd probably go for A, I like coastlines.

Also nice switcharoo, I approve. Got a link to the mod that introduces civilian trade for Stellaris, by the way? That's something the game sorely needs and I'd love to see what people have done with it.

Right here
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693402022&searchtext=

Be warned, it's incredibly CPU intensive since it essentially doubles the number of governments in the galaxy. Try it out in a small galaxy first.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
A, it's great to see this LP back!

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
A

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
C

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
C

This map looks the most like good old northern, medival Germany, swamps, cold and water

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
We have Always Been at War with the Old Families. :colbert:

Picking A because malaria seems like the natural nemesis of our young (or very, very old, in one case) capitalists.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Glad to see this return, Gold Rules the World was always be one of my favorites. Fight on Hansa, Fight on Von Goons.
Location A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C.

Let the greedy bastards freeze in the dark.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's nice to know that Kira Yoshikage will be joining us on this venture

A

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Winter is coming.

C

Lektor
May 1, 2013
C

On a planet the other people can hear you scream

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
And here I was getting ready to take notes on how a Stellaris LP goes. I also know nothing about this game but C seems exciting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
but waht about hoi4

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
C sounds exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

You magnificent bastard. Good to see this back.

Anyways, I'm mixing things up with B. Get those minerals to start up the new trade empire.

• Locked thread