Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advokat
Nov 17, 2012

ZearothK posted:

He continued to increase his contact with the common folk, developing the popularity his father lacked.

On a quick historical note, it's important to remember that medieval city-states only included (some of; though the proportion varies, and I suspect the Hanse cities were a lot more inclusive than, say, Venice) the urban residents as citizens. The peasants in the countryside were often effectively the city's serfs (though what that meant in any particular time or place also varied quite a bit), and if anything were worse off than the serfs of the feudals, as the city authorities were more savvy and thorough about how they exploited and controlled them. So there's a big difference between being good to even the poorer commoners inside the city itself and the peasants outside of it. The two groups generally did not care for each other, understandably, hence all those events in which city authorities don't want to let peasants in for the Summer Festival or what have you.

I look forward to the rule of Poopo von Goon. Also, hopefully Warendorps won't stop being black for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I didn't know that, it explains a lot actually. And I do wonder if having one of our ruling families as dark-skinned shouldn't make the Hansa more tolerant when we reach the age of imperialism.

TheMcD posted:

Doesn't the "seize coast" CB only give you the city in the county (which usually isn't the capital) if you win?

You are correct, and they were indeed sieging our trade post there rather than a city. I believe it is a CK2+ change to the CB, as I was surprised to see the AI using that to grab entire counties, and figured the von Goons should get into that action before the von Bardewicks conquered all of the Baltic Coast by themselves.

By comparison, as we've seen in that screenshot, we can field about 2500 ourselves (before Wolgast recovers), the von Bardewicks have about 4000 already, so we're not the most powerful family within the republic, but at least we enjoy good relations since we keep intermarrying. It is a good thing that our rivals, the Wittenborgs, don't have anything other than their own palace, so they are not true challengers to our position.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ZearothK posted:

You are correct, and they were indeed sieging our trade post there rather than a city. I believe it is a CK2+ change to the CB, as I was surprised to see the AI using that to grab entire counties, and figured the von Goons should get into that action before the von Bardewicks conquered all of the Baltic Coast by themselves.

By comparison, as we've seen in that screenshot, we can field about 2500 ourselves (before Wolgast recovers), the von Bardewicks have about 4000 already, so we're not the most powerful family within the republic, but at least we enjoy good relations since we keep intermarrying. It is a good thing that our rivals, the Wittenborgs, don't have anything other than their own palace, so they are not true challengers to our position.

I was wondering about that myself, because I usually only play CK2 while using Project Balance, my personal favorite as far as rebalance goes, and it even adds a cooldown on the Seize Coast CB (you can only use it once per 10 years there AFAIK), so I wouldn't have been surprised if vanilla/CK2+ was different in regards to what goes with the CB in general. Seems pretty powerful, all things considered.

As for the army strength and our position of strength within the families, that should probably change once we get our palace built up. While I can't say this with full confidence (since I usually spend my republic games being the top dog all the time), I believe the AI is a pretty big slacker when it comes to upgrading their palace compared to a human that knows it's important.

Of course, if it comes to war, it won't be the basic army strength that decides the winner, it'll be the money.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheMcD posted:

I was wondering about that myself, because I usually only play CK2 while using Project Balance, my personal favorite as far as rebalance goes, and it even adds a cooldown on the Seize Coast CB (you can only use it once per 10 years there AFAIK), so I wouldn't have been surprised if vanilla/CK2+ was different in regards to what goes with the CB in general. Seems pretty powerful, all things considered.

As for the army strength and our position of strength within the families, that should probably change once we get our palace built up. While I can't say this with full confidence (since I usually spend my republic games being the top dog all the time), I believe the AI is a pretty big slacker when it comes to upgrading their palace compared to a human that knows it's important.

Of course, if it comes to war, it won't be the basic army strength that decides the winner, it'll be the money.

Yeah, I am mentioning palace upgrades when it fits with the general narrative, but that is definitely where most of the von Goon money is going to. And yeah, the CB as it is in CK2+ is really drat powerful and the von Bardewicks capitalized deeply on it when they held control of the Hansa.

And certainly, it is whoever has the biggest war chest that will come out on top if it ever comes down to open warfare between the Houses.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ZearothK posted:

I didn't know that, it explains a lot actually. And I do wonder if having one of our ruling families as dark-skinned shouldn't make the Hansa more tolerant when we reach the age of imperialism.

Probably not. It'll just mean they won't use skin color to justify their xenophobia (as much).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

State of the World - 1301

The Hansa had grown greatly since Viktor's rule, and not all of it was thanks to the efforts of the von Goons. Though there were five great houses in the republic, three were the most powerful. The von Bardewicks of Meckleburg (greyish-brown?), the von Goons of Hamburg (greyish-golden) and the Luneburgs of Holstein (greyish-blue).

(I am bad with colours)

Its trade zone had also grown considerably, though it was still a far cry from the empires of Italy.

And this was the north. The Danes considered the rise of the Hansa with great concern, staring daggers across the Baltic Sea. They, the Swedish and the Teutonic Knights were busy purging the remaining pagans of the continent in the frozen wasteland of Finland and beyond.

Of note was the last remaining Norse ruler, still holding onto a small part of what the Swedish crown claimed as its own. History would see if Freja's struggle would go down the ages.

A few Russian principalities remained, notably Kiev, but the east was truly the domain of the Golden Horde. The Mongols had not merely plundered the temples of the Patriarchs, but seized their faith as their own. Their ambitious leper king was the most powerful ruler of Europe, and had adopted an Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture to consolidate his Empire.

The most powerful of Europe, but not of the world. The Aztecs consolidated their gains in Ireland and Spain, so confident in their superiority that they even let children manage their colonial company.

The western Mediterranean remained unstable. The Almohads, generally regarded as the mightiest of the western Mohammedans, were facing their third succession crisis in a decade. Meanwhile, Italy had become a battleground, with Lombardy, Venice, the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire competing for hegemony over the lesser realms.

Speaking of which, the von Schauenburgs had consolidated their power, making the HRE an hereditary title. In concession they accepted a Gavelkind succession, so that no Emperor would grow so powerful as to challenge the liberties of his subjects.

Western Europe was stable. Ireland remained a land of potatoes bathed in the blood of Irishmen. The Treaty of Lancashire established the Duchy of Cumberland as a demilitarized zone between England and Scotland, where the two nations could safely discuss trade and diplomacy without spontaneously starting new wars.

The Capet still ruled in France, and were hard at work restoring their pretty borders.

The Near East maintained extremely fluid borders. The Eastern Romans recovered Constantinople and their dominant position over the Greeks. Their main rival, the Sultanate of Rum, merged with the Armenian Sultanate under the Seljuk Turks, who have repeatedly resisted Byzantine incursions in these last few decades.

Of the wonders of the East the most fascinating tale was that of the Kingdom of Cyprus-Jerusalem, led by House de Brienne which held not even a hovel on the island of Cyprus itself. Having triumphed over the Ayyubids, the realm included both the Templars and the Hospitalers as well as Muslim emirs. It was a grand and uneasy experiment, being closely watched by all children of Abraham.

Here are the 20th most powerful nations of the world, according to their ability to field troops. Despite their relatively modest gains, and the pacification of the Great Plains, and a war with the Sapa Inca, the Aztec still maintained the power to field an army greater than all of the Old World. Ironically enough, the scourge from the East, the Mongols, had become the greatest Christian power. It was also telling how continuous warfare had weakened most of the European states.

In other news, the Book of the Marvels of the World was a great success, glorifying the achievements of Kubla Khan in the East, and the superiority of the Mongolian people in rule and civilization. It was clear that Europe stood between two great civilizations, the Aztecs and the Mongls, and these next generations would decide if it would submit to any, or forge its own path.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... It's been a few days and it doesn't appear anyone is still following this, or at least finding it interesting enough to comment on. Would someone care to offer a critique on the problems of this LP? Are we saturated with Paradox games, the narrative is uninteresting, is it the writing that is lacking, or something else? I am really interested in the feedback, so that I may at least work on what went wrong with this for future projects. Thanks in advance.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ZearothK posted:

So... It's been a few days and it doesn't appear anyone is still following this, or at least finding it interesting enough to comment on. Would someone care to offer a critique on the problems of this LP? Are we saturated with Paradox games, the narrative is uninteresting, is it the writing that is lacking, or something else? I am really interested in the feedback, so that I may at least work on what went wrong with this for future projects. Thanks in advance.

I'm finding it interesting, especially as with all the CK2 Lps no-one is doing a MR.
It helps that the narrative is enjoyable, I am looking forward to seeing Poopo rule.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I am actually really interested in this and would like you to continue.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Saturation might be the problem, however, personally, I don't really see a problem at all. It just might be that nobody really found anything worth commenting on - which isn't a bad thing, per se, it just means there's nothing extraordinary right now, good or bad.

Speaking from personal experience, my first (and so far only) LP was of an old, weird little pseudo-point-and-click-adventure game, and at one point, I went for three updates without a single reply. For a while, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but simply pressed on because my main goal was to show off the game for the sake of posterity. At one later point, I switched the image formats from PNG to JPG because loading times were getting ridiculous, and I got one reply thanking me and saying that the LP was good, there just wasn't anything to really comment on, and then several more posts in the same vein. That kind of stuck with me.

And at the end of the day, a state-of-the-world update early into the game doesn't provide that much interesting stuff, because we haven't had the opportunity to really deviate beyond that orange blob from the west.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm enjoying this, especially the terrible luck afflicting the Irish.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheMcD posted:

Saturation might be the problem, however, personally, I don't really see a problem at all. It just might be that nobody really found anything worth commenting on - which isn't a bad thing, per se, it just means there's nothing extraordinary right now, good or bad.

Speaking from personal experience, my first (and so far only) LP was of an old, weird little pseudo-point-and-click-adventure game, and at one point, I went for three updates without a single reply. For a while, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but simply pressed on because my main goal was to show off the game for the sake of posterity. At one later point, I switched the image formats from PNG to JPG because loading times were getting ridiculous, and I got one reply thanking me and saying that the LP was good, there just wasn't anything to really comment on, and then several more posts in the same vein. That kind of stuck with me.

And at the end of the day, a state-of-the-world update early into the game doesn't provide that much interesting stuff, because we haven't had the opportunity to really deviate beyond that orange blob from the west.

That is a really good point, and one I should certainly take to heart. Thanks!

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Yea, sorry. Kinda just watching this lp somewhat slack jaw. All these CK 2 LPs are making me want to get all the expansions I missed. *Sigh*
Going to have to see if the Steam holiday sale will do it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wanted to comment but didn't and forgot, sorry. You could perhaps post a link to your LP in the CK2 thread. Or you could post a link in the CK2 tutorial thread, since the merchant republic tutorial seems to be dead, and they were searching for replacements. And I love your write-ups and your ruler's enthusiastic reaction to the Aztecs, they are quite funny.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Lateinshowing posted:

Yea, sorry. Kinda just watching this lp somewhat slack jaw. All these CK 2 LPs are making me want to get all the expansions I missed. *Sigh*
Going to have to see if the Steam holiday sale will do it.

New expansion comes out on Monday, usually the DLC goes on sale whenever a new expansion is released.

On the same page, how are you going to handle the new patch and expansion for the LP? It seems to radically change CK2 again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, I'm reading this and Grey Hunter's LP and they're both as enjoyable as the other.

I mean, paradox games generally are a little dull to read, because they're kinda dull games in and of themselves if you aren't personally invested in the unfolding intrigue of the story, but like I said, I can't tell a difference between this and the other paradox LPs so I don't know what's 'wrong' with it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kem Rixen posted:

New expansion comes out on Monday, usually the DLC goes on sale whenever a new expansion is released.

Really? I thought it was pushed back to January.

Edit: Nope. Someone gave me some bad info. :downs:

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Really? I thought it was pushed back to January.

Edit: Nope. Someone gave me some bad info. :downs:

The EU4 expansion got pushed back to January, CK2's is coming out on Monday right on time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm enjoying this LP so far, I just don't have any particular comments to make except that the Hansa needs to get into more risky ventures.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Don't fear, it's a good LP which inspired me to start a Gotland game. :)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks, suppose I should carry on then.

Kem Rixen posted:

On the same page, how are you going to handle the new patch and expansion for the LP? It seems to radically change CK2 again.

Paradox has said that the Sons of Abraham should be save compatible, though I am skeptical that this would apply to CK2+ as well, but even if it isn't I have both Steam and Gamersgate versions of CK2, so worst case scenario I simply won't update one of the installs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Victor von Goon: 1301-1302

1301 passed by without any extraordinary events, until the Spring of 1302 came by, bearing the fruits of Victor's labour.

His first act in control of the League was to organize the Eastern territories, and lay the foundations to the Hansa as a state.

The Hanseatic League would be a federation of allied and self-governing republics and free cities, with a central government based out of Lübeck. The republics would share responsibilities for the economic well-being and defense of the League. With a lifetime spent dealing with legal cases and the like, Victor would be the primary contributor to this Constitution, and the founder and Highest Judge of the Bundesverfassungsgericht. He also laid the foundations to the Bundeswehr, a standing army for the federation.

For this, his name would go down in history.

His popularity was so great, that even the head of the Wittenborgs had to concede that "he was alright, for a von Goon". And the Prince of Venice himself sought a von Goon wife, as did the King of Jerusalem. It was now clear for all of the continent that the von Goons were here to stay, and had conquered their place in the high politics of Europe.

It would not go unchallenged. One of the many tales of his rule, would be of his great battle against Satan himself.

So the folktale would go, he did not shy away from helping the least, as a peasant from the countryside called upon the highest of the lords for help. When presented by a Gate to Hell itself, he felt no fear, for he knew God was on his side.

He gathered the greatest of the Hansa to face this, but as the politicians bickered and bickered, and the Brother-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named suggested the sacrifice of Victor's youngest child to appease the Beast, the Prince knew that only the Lord would be needed to triumph.

Some versions of the tale would say that it was Victor himself, not an exorcist, who gained victory over Satan's gate.

Of course, in his life Victor would credit only God.

The first rule of business.

He took his business to the island of Ōsel instead, knowing that the Teutonic Knights would be honest partners.

As he grew older, Victor became more and more religious, thanking God for all of his blessings. So when the Holy Land called on for his help, he knew what he had to do.

It took the better part of the year, but he had convinced all the republics of Hansa to support this endeavour. A thousand men died in the journey from the Baltic to Jerusalem, but they had nonetheless arrived.

It was 1308, and in a few months the Hanseatic troops had turned the tide against one of the invaders.

The campaign against the Ayyubids and their allies was more difficult, but Christedom had come to the aid of the Hansa and Jerusalem.

It would be too late for Victor, who in his boundless enthusiasm was surrounded by Syrian troops and captured in 1310.

Demoralized and cut down to almost a quarter of their original size, the Hanseatic troops returned home. Vanquished on the field of battle, neither gold nor faith could save the Prince.

Without his stabilizing presence, old rivalries surfaced again when Viktor accused Gebhard of betraying Victor's position to the Muslims.

Gebhard had his own way of taking revenge at this slight, believing Victor lacked the means to punish him.

He was very, very wrong.

And that would be Victor's final act as Prince.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Martin von Bardewik! :argh:

Did we at least save Cyprus-Jerusalem?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
So far so good in my opinion, although I cannot get enough of Paradox let's plays so I may be one of a few. This is the first time I've seen the various Aztec centric dialogue and honestly they're pretty cool.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patter Song posted:

Martin von Bardewik! :argh:

Did we at least save Cyprus-Jerusalem?

We beat back an invasion of it, which would have destroyed the kingdom, but the Egyptian campaign for Damascus is still going. I am optimistic about Jerusalem's odds, as the crusade should force the Ayyubids to send troops to defend their homeland.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I loving love Paradox LPs, but I don't have any historical tidbits to share on the Hansa and I didn't wanna make "good job, love reading ok byeee" posts.

I would make some haughty :agesilaus: posts, but it's after 1204. Merchant republics are dangerous and should be burned and salted! :hist101:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Victor the Great died in Allepo, succeeded in his family by the second Viktor and in the League by the Martin Half-Hand, a peerless politician who earned his name during the battles of the Holy Land. He was instrumental in establishing von Bardewick control of Mecklenburg.

Viktor II, better known as Viktor of Pomerania, had enjoyed great success in the tournaments so shunned by his elder brother, though he had the same characteristic charm, with a much angrier voice. He was a well-accomplished leader, with great ambitions.

He was also well-aware of his own age, and what this meant for the von Goons. His brothers were also elders in their own right. If the von Goons were to take control of the League again, they would need to groom a successor from the younger generation.

A von Goon Meet was in order, a Goonzusammenkommen.

Viktor selected these three as the most promising candidates:

a) His own son, Gotthard was competent in most areas of government, but was also a decadent man who was nonetheless loyal to his family. He was also a claimant to the French throne through his mother.
(Skilled Tactician, Young, Greedy, Envious, Wroth, Proud, Chaste)

b) The third son of Victor the Great was a strong-willed man, with a great sense of justice and a full beard.
(Flamboyant Schemer, Homosexual, Brave, Just, Ambitious, Chaste)

c) There was also Amadeus, who towered over all and knew of warfare and money and very little else.
(Thrifty Clerk, Tall, Young, Brave, Temperate, Greedy, Wroth, Deceitful)

d) Though not one of Viktor's choices, young Poopo nonetheless tried to gather support, mostly from his mother's pressure. His content demeanor would certainly be welcomed by her family, the von Bardewick rulers of the League.
(Naive Appeaser, Young, Patient, Deceitful, Content, Brave, Chaste)

And for a day and a night the von Goons argued, bickered and voted on who should lead the family.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Gotthard is terrible as far as diplomacy goes, so he's out; Amadeus is terrible in both diplomacy and intrigue matters, so that's even worse; and Poopo just doesn't have the ambition needed to be a good leader, so long live Mathias von Goon!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mathias seems like a reasonable chap. Keep an eye on the French claimant, tho.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can't go wrong with the beard. Mathias.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Gotthard. Gotta get that French throne.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

I'm enjoying this thread too. I just tend to lurk.

B. Mathias the Beard!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Rock me Amadeus!

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Er war so exaltiert.
Amadeus uber alles.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Gotthard. Let's make the First French Republic!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
0 diplomacy :psyduck:

Mathias should be the first openly gay head of state in Europe!

What is this little castle/tower symbol in the lower right corner of the character screen? Something from CK2+?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Actually no, I vote Poopo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Amadeus is the youngest giving us the best shot of seeing him make it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

0 diplomacy :psyduck:

Mathias should be the first openly gay head of state in Europe!

What is this little castle/tower symbol in the lower right corner of the character screen? Something from CK2+?

It's Minor Estates, a CK2+ thing yeah. Shows that a courtier has some sort of land or title below the level displayed by the game an provides a miniscule trickle of prestige (and/or possibly income?) to the character.

Voting for Mathias, the only man in europe who doesn't stroke his beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Amadeus or bust.

• Locked thread