Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Look at me, doing my part to keep this out of the archives. Anyways, just found out about this LP a few days ago and holy Jesus was it awesome - really hope you continue into Stellaris ZearothK. Loved the Seletani and trying to figure out just what the hell was going on (my money was on a prelapsarian/antediluvian/whatever other adjective you want to use to describe a human precursor civilization that wiped itself out a couple thousand years ago and that event became the story of the Biblical flood among the few survivors who became the modern human race - nice to see I was at least kinda right-ish). Mildly disappointed that the thread missed out on Maximum Selatani by choosing to focus on Europe over Asia during that one EUIV vote years ago, WE should have been the ones that turned into insane cultists with nukes a few centuries early. Anyways, real bang-up job all around.

P.S. ZearothK do you by any chance play/used to play a certain text based game set in a very particular version of Victorian London with heavy gothic and Lovecraftian influences? "Delicious friends" is quite an interesting turn of phrase to see crop up here............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well then. What an uplifting and strangely fitting ending.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Tevery Best posted:

Do you mean that the Stellaris LP part turned out to be a flop, or is the game just not good?

I can't speak for ZearothK, but IMO it started out as a pretty mediocre game. However, like all Paradox games, it has improved greatly with time, and by the looks of it the update that's currently in the works is a major overhaul to some of the systems I disliked most so it's finally getting to the point where you can slap the "good" label on it. Definitely within another few months/updates it'll get where it needs to be. That's generally just the rule of thumb with Paradox games, they don't really meet their potential until like a year after release.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 10, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

ZearothK posted:

I didn't like Stellaris, to me it feels like a 4X where only the exploration part is any good, and that's more because Paradox has a pretty good writing team for events and it is gorgeous to look at; the exterminate, expand and exploit parts of the gameplay are all lacking in major ways to me and I was disappointed that the differences between, say, a collectivist worm-people and the human race are less meaningful in gameplay than those from being from different parts of Spain in EU4.

This is a really good way to sum it up, yeah. My hivemind xenofungus that reproduces by infecting preexisting life, my Not!Ferengi Space Libertarians who care about profit more than anything, and baseline humans all play exactly the same with a few percentage modifiers to growth or ethics divergence or whatever. There's no real soul to it, no way that millions of years of biological and societal evolution before reaching space affects gameplay. It just sort of assumes that every form of intelligent life thinks and acts basically like a human except they reproduce 20% faster or are better at research or whatever. Nothing game changing.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread