Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

leokitty posted:

Kuroneko - 2/11 - 4:30p, 7p, 9:15p

All of you in New York who can actually go to this owe it to yourself to see this amazing movie on the big screen. So jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More films added to the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood:

Bell Book and Candle (1959, Richard Quine) - Kim Novak in attendance
Best Boy (1979, Ira Wohl) - Wohl in attendance
Grey Gardens (1975, Ellen Hovde, Albert Maysles, David Maysles, Muffie Meyer) - Albert Maysles in attendance
Oklahoma! (1955, Fred Zinnemann) - 4K restoration of 70mm version, Shirley Jones in attendance
Paper Moon (1973, Peter Bogdanovich) - Ryan O'Neal in attendance
Sorcerer (1977, William Friedkin) - Friedkin in attendance

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Tarkovsky's Nostalghia is showing for one week only at the Film Forum starting today. Show times are 3:30 and 8:30.

And a reminder that the complete Hitchcock has started up. Here's the schedule for that:

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/the_complete_hitchcock#nowplaying

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

More films added to the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood:

Bell Book and Candle (1959, Richard Quine) - Kim Novak in attendance
Best Boy (1979, Ira Wohl) - Wohl in attendance
Grey Gardens (1975, Ellen Hovde, Albert Maysles, David Maysles, Muffie Meyer) - Albert Maysles in attendance
Oklahoma! (1955, Fred Zinnemann) - 4K restoration of 70mm version, Shirley Jones in attendance
Paper Moon (1973, Peter Bogdanovich) - Ryan O'Neal in attendance
Sorcerer (1977, William Friedkin) - Friedkin in attendance

Holy poo poo would I love to see Friedkin's Sorcerer in the theater. The poster for that movie is intense.

hmm, I'm looking all over the TCM website, but it doesn't say which theater they're showing Sorcerer at or when.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Film Society of Lincoln Center snagged a restored print of Last Year at Marienbad to show this week: http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/last-year-at-marienbad

Not sure what they bumped off the schedule to make room for it.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Interest check: Does anyone care about the LA updates I give? I'm happy to take a little time each month to post them but not if no one actually cares/goes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I care and appreciate them. So far things keep getting in the way of going to a showing though. Speaking of showings in LA that I'll probably miss...

Stripped
The Famous "Cinerama Dome" Theater!
Hollywood, CA
Wednesday Mar 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM
$19.99

"brownpapertickets.com posted:

WORLD PREMIERE FOR STRIPPED

You guys. YOU GUYS.

It's here! The world premiere of Stripped!

It's been 4 years in production, 77 people interviewed, 300 hours of footage...and all of it adding up to ONE AWESOME NIGHT.

If you're a comics lover, you know events like this don't happen every day.

Imagine it: It's you and 800 of your closest friends, elegantly stretched out in the coolest theater in LA, as VIP Hollywood stars and world-famous cartoonists take their seats around you, all to watch Stripped on a huge 86-foot screen.

It's gonna be so awesome.

And check this out:

- NOT ONLY will we be screening the film in one of the coolest theaters in the world...
- NOT ONLY will there be an audience Q&A with the film-makers and professional cartoonists afterward...
- But! We're ALSO going to be giving away *ten* of the amazing film posters Bill Watterson created for Stripped! They'll be given to lucky audience members' chosen from a big ol' bowl, that night, live! We're only making up 200 of the "Kickstarter Exclusive posters" -- and 160 or so are already going out to backers who pledged for a poster. So: If you are among the people that win a poster, you are gonna be so stoked. SO STOKED.

JOIN US!

And I'd already bought my ticket too...

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Film Forum is bringing back Je T'aime Je T'aime for a week starting tomorrow http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/je_taime_jetaime

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
edit: Nevermind, that page lacked to specify it was students only.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 13, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SquareDog posted:

Interest check: Does anyone care about the LA updates I give? I'm happy to take a little time each month to post them but not if no one actually cares/goes.

Keep em coming. I love going to screenings out here, and I constantly forget that places like Mann's and the Egyptian show cool poo poo too.

Here's one on short notice, free preview screening of The Raid 2 tonight at 7pm in Hollywood at the Harmony Gold Theater. Attendees need to RSVP through the following link

http://rsvp.vice.com/raid2-la/

Raging Slab
Dec 19, 2004

AccountSupervisor posted:

edit: Nevermind, that page lacked to specify it was students only.

Fangoria is offering more or less the same experience just a few hours later at the Union Square Regal. Not sure how long they take RSVP's but it's worth checking out.

THE RAID 2 FREE NYC SCREENING WITH CAST & CREW, SUNDAY MARCH 16th
http://www.fangoria.com/new/the-raid-2-free-fango-nyc-screening-with-cast-crew/

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
There's a film festival coming up in Copenhagen soon!

http://cphpix.dk

Among others, Killer Joe and "Our Robocop Remake" will be shown.

Also, this Belgian dark comedy looks loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVZqGRbGB4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ruddiger posted:

Keep em coming. I love going to screenings out here, and I constantly forget that places like Mann's and the Egyptian show cool poo poo too.

Here's one on short notice, free preview screening of The Raid 2 tonight at 7pm in Hollywood at the Harmony Gold Theater. Attendees need to RSVP through the following link

http://rsvp.vice.com/raid2-la/

Why didnt you post in the city thread :smith:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Why didnt you post in the city thread :smith:

drat, wasn't even thinking of it. Sorry mang.

April 17th Cinespia is screening the LONG LOST Jimmy Page scored version of Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising holy loving poo poo.

Los Angeles peeps who are into some obscure rear end poo poo need to get on this.

http://cinespia.org/event/kenneth-anger/

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

ruddiger posted:

Holy poo poo would I love to see Friedkin's Sorcerer in the theater. The poster for that movie is intense.

hmm, I'm looking all over the TCM website, but it doesn't say which theater they're showing Sorcerer at or when.

It's at Cinefamily, check their website.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zesty Mordant posted:

It's at Cinefamily, check their website.

Yep, they're showing it at the Mann's IMAX theater too, was hoping it would be an actual film print instead of a DCP but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Who likes watching movies at baseball stadiums? The Dodgers just announced their Movies in the Park lineup. Last year they showed Sandlot at Chavez Ravine, this year, they're showing Field of Dreams, A League of Their Own and The Natural. WIsh they'd show Major League or Beer League, but they're probably going for something a little more G/PG rated. Oh well.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/ticketing/movies.jsp?partnerId=ed-8032436-667697673

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Here's some Boston updates. The Coolidge Corner Theater's Spring/Summer schedule:

Big Screen Classics (Mondays at 7PM)

May 5 - North by Northwest
June 9 - Boyz N the Hood
June 23 - On the Waterfront
June 30 - Roman Holiday
July 14 - Blazing Saddles
July 21 - The Wizard of Oz
July 28 - Point Break
August 4 - Cool Hand Luke
August 11 - Thelma & Louise
August 18 - The Big Lebowski
September 1 - Jaws
October 27 - An American Werewolf in London

Cinema Jukebox - NEW SERIES (Mondays at 7PM)

April 28 - Purple Rain
May 26 - Dirty Dancing
June 16 - Hedwig & The Angry Inch

The Sound of Silents - Silent films with Live Orchestra (Mondays at 7PM)

April 22 - The Mark of Zorro

@fter Midnite (Fridays and Saturdays at midnight)

April 11 - The Room
April 11 & 12 - The Warriors
April 18 & 19 - Cheap Thrills
April 18 & 19 - The Devil's Express (aka Gang Wars)
April 25 & 26 - Space Jam !!!
May 2 & 3 - Motel Hell
May 9 & 10 - Videodrome
May 16 & 17 - Possession
May 23 & 24 - Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog's 1979 remake)
May 30 & 31 - El Topo
June 6 & 7 - The Holy Mountain

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If anyone is interested in the Seattle cinerama, their curved scren is pretty cool but also has a big scratch across the middle they haven't fixed for a while, dunno if they'll get around to it. It's pretty distracting.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

ruddiger posted:

It's showing at the Silver Spring MD AFI Theater this weekend outside Washington DC, after the amount this forum has hyped it up I figure I'm obligated to go see it Wages of Fear and Friedkin are both some of my favorites so I'm pretty pumped :ssh:

http://www.afi.com/silver/
Saturday 1 pm
Monday 9:30 pm
Tuesday 7:15 and 9:30 pm
Thursday 9:30 pm

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Is Sorcerer coming to NYC? How can I find out?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

bows1 posted:

Is Sorcerer coming to NYC? How can I find out?

It's going to be at the Film Forum 5/30-6/4, wouldn't be shocked if it got held over after that.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Ingmar Bergman Spotlight at the Metro Cinema in Edmonton:

Cries & Whispers (Digital)
April 19 - 4:30pm

The Seventh Seal (35mm)
April 20 - 7pm
April 21 - 2pm

Persona (Digital)
April 21 - 9pm

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

drat, wasn't even thinking of it. Sorry mang.

April 17th Cinespia is screening the LONG LOST Jimmy Page scored version of Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising holy loving poo poo.

Los Angeles peeps who are into some obscure rear end poo poo need to get on this.

http://cinespia.org/event/kenneth-anger/

Sorry for quoting myself, but went to this last night, Jimmy Page and his gaggle of leech lawyers issued a cease & desist so cinespia weren't able to screen the Jimmy Page scored Lucifer Rising. Such horseshit. They showed it with the regular soundtrack, and added Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome to the bill, but still. What the gently caress. gently caress you Jimmy Page.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Mizoguchi retrospective at the Museum of the Moving Image: http://www.movingimage.us/films/2014/05/02/detail/mizoguchi/

It's a ton so I'm not going to list them all out, it starts 5/2 and runs through 6/8.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ebertfest has started in Champaign-Urbana (Roger Ebert was born and raised in Urbana, IL) and headlining is a documentary about his life that he died in the middle of filming.

What is Ebertfest?

quote:

Founded in 1999 by the late Roger Ebert, University of Illinois Journalism graduate and Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic, Roger Ebert’s Film Festival (Ebertfest) celebrates films that haven’t received the recognition they deserved during their original runs. The festival gives these films and their filmmakers a well-deserved second look.

Ebertfest takes place in Urbana-Champaign each April. Chaz Ebert, Roger’s beloved wife, business partner and fellow film-lover, is the festival host.

While Roger passed away in April 2013, his influence on the Festival continues. True to Roger’s vision, the twelve films screened during the five day event represent a cross-section of important cinematic works overlooked by audiences, critics and/or distributors. Some films come from lists of possible films that Roger drew up over the first 15 years of the festival. Chaz Ebert and Festival Director Nate Kohn select additional films based on Roger’s established criteria for an Ebertfest film. Both Chaz and Nate worked closely with Roger for fifteen years on programming the festival.

The Festival brings together the films’ producers, writers, actors and directors to help showcase their work. A filmmaker or scholar introduces the films, and screenings are followed by an in depth on-stage Q&A discussion among filmmakers, critics and the audience.

Ebertfest is a special event of the College of Media at the University of Illinois, and the festival, in conjunction with the College, hosts a number of on-campus academic panel discussions each year that feature filmmaker guests, scholars and students.

All the festival films screen in the 1,500-seat Virginia Theatre, a restored 1920s movie palace with state-of-the-art 35/70mm and digital projection. A portion of the Festival’s income goes toward on-going renovations at the theatre.
Celebrities show up, tickets are really really hard to get, and it seems to get bigger and more popular every year, but if you ever do find yourself in the area you owe it to yourself to try and check out at least one movie during its run if you can. Its pretty unique.

Here's the schedule of films:
code:
TUESDAY, APRIL 22
               The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three
Free Student Screening
Foellinger Auditorium, University of Illinois campus
	                                        Patton Oswalt, host
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 23	
7:30 PM 	Life Itself 	                Steve James, director
THURSDAY, APRIL 24
1:00 PM 	Museum Hours	                Jem Cohen, director	
4:00 PM 	Short Term 12 	                Brie Larson, actor Keith Stanfield, actor	
9:00 PM 	Young Adult 	                Patton Oswalt, actor
FRIDAY, APRIL 25
1:00 PM 	He Who Gets Slapped	        Alloy Orchestra	
4:00 PM 	Capote 	                        Bennett Miller, producer, director
8:30 PM 	Do the Right Thing 	        Spike Lee, director
SATURDAY, APRIL 26
11:00 AM 	Wadjda 	                        Haifaa Al-Mansour, director
2:00 PM 	A Simple Life 	                Ann Hui, director
5:00 PM 	Goodbye Solo 	                Ramin Bahrani, director
9:00 PM 	Born on the Fourth of July 	Oliver Stone, director
SUNDAY, APRIL 27
Noon 	        Bayou Maharajah                 Lily Keber, director
                                                Nate Kohn, producer
                                                Henry Butler, musician
                                                Tim Watson, editor 

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Lots of retrospectives going on in NYC this year.

Film Forum is doing an Alec Guinness 100th birthday celebration that starts in June. When we get closer I'll post a schedule.

The Film Society of Lincoln Center is doing a Rainer Fassbinder retro split into two parts. Part one starts 5/16. Here's a link: http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/fassbinder-romantic-anarchist-part-1 and here's the schedule:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1974 | 93 mins
This wry, tender romance/social commentary about the unlikely love between a Moroccan immigrant and an older German widow remains one of the director’s most popular films.
Sunday, May 25 9:00pm
Saturday, May 31 3:00pm 7:20pm

The American Soldier
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1970 | 80 mins
An early example of Fassbinder’s pessimistic vision and his fierce, ravishing visual style, The American Soldier is a baroque homage to Hollywood cinema—film noir and gangster movies in particular.
Sunday, May 18 3:00pm 9:00pm

Beware of a Holy Whore
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1970 | 104 mins
A film’s cast and crew undergo a series of skirmishes, psychosexual charades, and nonplussed power trips in what may or may not be an accurate representation of Fassbinder’s behind-the-scenes methods.
Screening with Cuba Libre (Albert Serra, 18m).
Saturday, May 24 6:30pm
Monday, May 26 8:20pm

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1972 | 124 mins
High camp and claustrophobia abound in this chamber psychodrama about the cruel cat-and-mouse games between a fashion designer, her model, and a faithful, longtime love slave.
Friday, May 23 4:00pm
Sunday, May 25 2:30pm

Bremen Freedom
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1972 | 87 mins
This dark-as-pitch comedy about a widow who over 15 years killed as many people using butter laced with arsenic is one of Fassbinder’s more ambitious stage-to-television experiments.
Thursday, May 22 2:45pm 7:00pm

Effi Briest
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1974 | 141 mins
This take on Theodor Fontane’s tale of the rise and fall of a cosseted young 19th-century Candide whose “prison” is a manor on the Baltic Sea is among Fassbinder’s most visually ravishing.
Monday, May 26 5:30pm
Sunday, June 01 8:00pm

Gods of the Plague
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1970 | 91 mins
Fassbinder’s interest in teasing out the subtexts of American genre films is on display in this stylized noir exercise focused on the not-so-latent homoerotic tensions at the very heart of the gangster movie.
Friday, May 16 1:00pm 5:00pm
Saturday, May 17 7:00pm

Katzelmacher
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1969 | 88 mins
Fassbinder’s second feature depicts the intolerance of a circle of financially and sexually frustrated friends when an immigrant laborer moves to their Munich neighborhood.
Wednesday, May 21 5:00pm 9:00pm

Love Is Colder Than Death
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1969 | 88 mins
For his feature debut, Fassbinder fashioned an acerbic, unorthodox crime drama featuring a love triangle between a Munich pimp, a mysterious crook, and a prostitute.
Screening with The Bridegroom, the Comedienne and the Pimp (Jean-Marie Straub, 23m).
Friday, May 16 7:00pm
Saturday, May 17 4:30pm
Monday, May 19 4:00pm

Martha
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1974 | 116 mins
A beautiful virgin loses her father on a trip to Rome and falls into the arms of an older stranger. His sadism and her masochism set the stage for a claws-out satire of bourgeois marriage.
Friday, May 23 6:30pm
Sunday, June 01 1:00pm

The Merchant of Four Seasons
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1971 | 88 mins
New restoration!
In one of Fassbinder’s pivotal works and greatest achievements, an ineffectual ex-policeman newly home from the war continues to disappoint his bourgeois family by becoming a lowly fruit peddler.
Friday, May 16 3:00pm 9:20pm
Saturday, May 17 2:30pm
Sunday, May 18 4:45pm
Monday, May 19 6:30pm
Tuesday, May 20 8:30pm
Friday, May 23 9:00pm

The Niklashausen Journey
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1970 | 90 mins
A shepherd turns to preaching when he is visited by the Mother of God, but while his support increases, he is filled with a dissatisfaction that can be absolved only by embracing his own destruction.
Monday, May 19 8:30pm
Saturday, May 24 2:00pm

Nora Helmer
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1974 | 101 mins
Fassbinder’s idiosyncratic take on Ibsen’s A Doll’s House plays out as a blistering psychodrama visually refracted through latticework, curtains, prismatic glasses, and multi-paneled mirrors.
Thursday, May 22 4:45pm 9:00pm

Pioneers in Ingolstadt
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1971 | 83 mins
Conflict arises between a group of soldiers building a bridge in a provincial town whose motto, “Where there is no war, we’ll have to make one,” plays out in ways both trivial and profoundly dangerous.
Tuesday, May 20 6:30pm
Friday, May 23 2:00pm

Whity
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1971 | 95 mins
Never distributed theatrically but long an influential cult classic, Fassbinder’s seventh feature is a hothouse gothic melodrama shot in widescreen on Sergio Leone’s spaghetti Western sets in Spain.
Saturday, May 24 4:30pm 9:00pm

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1970 | 88 mins
Harrowing and bleakly comic in equal measure, Fassbinder’s story of explosive rage focuses on a man with a perfect middle-class existence… until he beats his family to death with a candlestick.
Saturday, May 17 9:00pm
Sunday, May 18 1:00pm

World on a Wire
Rainer Werner Fassbinder | 1973 | 212 mins
A film many years ahead of its time, this recently rediscovered labyrinth is a paranoid, boundlessly inventive take on the future with dashes of Stanley Kubrick, Kurt Vonnegut, and Philip K. Dick.
Sunday, May 25 5:00pm
Monday, May 26 1:30pm

FASSBINDER AND HIS FRIENDS

All That Heaven Allows
Douglas Sirk | 1955 | 89 mins
Saturday, May 31 1:00pm 9:20pm

Far from Heaven
Todd Haynes | 2002 | 107 mins
Saturday, May 31 5:00pm

Tenderness of the Wolves
Ulli Lommel | 1973 | 82 mins
Friday, May 30 5:00pm 9:00pm

Water Drops on Burning Rocks
François Ozon | 2000 | 82 mins
Friday, May 30 3:00pm 7:00pm

BAM Cinematek is going to be doing a Bunel retro but haven't updated their site with info yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The 2014 Coca-Cola Film Festival
at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia

http://foxtheatre.org/fox-theatre-announces-2014-coca-cola-summer-film-festival-lineup-special-movie-tours/

Field of Dreams - June 19 at 7:30 PM
King Kong (1933) - June 22 at 2:00 PM
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - June 26 at 7:30 PM
The Wizard of Oz - June 29 at 2:00 PM

Dr. Strangelove - July 24 at 7:30 PM
Gone with the Wind - July 27 at 2:00 PM (reserved seating only)
The Philadelphia Story - July 31 at 7:30 PM

Saturday Morning Cartoons - August 2 at 10:00 AM
Mamma Mia! - August 2 at 7:30 PM
Young Frankenstein/Blazing Saddles double feature - August 3 at 2:00 PM
Double Indemnity - August 14 at 7:30 PM
Mary Poppins - August 17 at 2:00 PM
The Women (1939) - August 21 at 7:30 PM

(All 2:00 PM shows are Sundays and all 7:30 PM shows are Thursdays unless noted)

Advance tickets go on sale on Friday, May 9th. All films are $8 for a standard adult ticket (if purchased before May 31), $12 each after or purchased same-day. Exceptions are the Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein double feature, which is $15 advance, $20 day-of and the morning cartoons are $5 a ticket. Gone with the Wind is reserved seating only and tickets range from $10 to $20 depending on the seat (just like roadshows used to be).

All films proceeded with a classic cartoon and a live pipe organ performance. The theatre has a massive Wurlitzer pipe organ from the 1920s installed and have shown some silent films with live scores.

For those unfamiliar with Atlanta's Fox Theatre, it's an old time movie palace (finished in 1929) more often used for stage performances. They have a gigantic screen and state-of-the-art 35mm film and 4K digital projection. I would recommend using the MARTA rail or bus system since parking is a nightmare (and only $5 round trip compared to $10-20 for parking).

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

The 2014 Coca-Cola Film Festival
at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia

http://foxtheatre.org/fox-theatre-announces-2014-coca-cola-summer-film-festival-lineup-special-movie-tours/

Field of Dreams - June 19 at 7:30 PM
King Kong (1933) - June 22 at 2:00 PM
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - June 26 at 7:30 PM
The Wizard of Oz - June 29 at 2:00 PM

Dr. Strangelove - July 24 at 7:30 PM
Gone with the Wind - July 27 at 2:00 PM (reserved seating only)
The Philadelphia Story - July 31 at 7:30 PM

Saturday Morning Cartoons - August 2 at 10:00 AM
Mamma Mia! - August 2 at 7:30 PM
Young Frankenstein/Blazing Saddles double feature - August 3 at 2:00 PM
Double Indemnity - August 14 at 7:30 PM
Mary Poppins - August 17 at 2:00 PM
The Women (1939) - August 21 at 7:30 PM

(All 2:00 PM shows are Sundays and all 7:30 PM shows are Thursdays unless noted)

Advance tickets go on sale on Friday, May 9th. All films are $8 for a standard adult ticket (if purchased before May 31), $12 each after or purchased same-day. Exceptions are the Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein double feature, which is $15 advance, $20 day-of and the morning cartoons are $5 a ticket. Gone with the Wind is reserved seating only and tickets range from $10 to $20 depending on the seat (just like roadshows used to be).

All films proceeded with a classic cartoon and a live pipe organ performance. The theatre has a massive Wurlitzer pipe organ from the 1920s installed and have shown some silent films with live scores.

For those unfamiliar with Atlanta's Fox Theatre, it's an old time movie palace (finished in 1929) more often used for stage performances. They have a gigantic screen and state-of-the-art 35mm film and 4K digital projection. I would recommend using the MARTA rail or bus system since parking is a nightmare (and only $5 round trip compared to $10-20 for parking).

The Fox is trolling me by showing Raiders of the Lost Ark last year and skipping to Last Crusade this year. I'd kill to see Temple of Doom in a theater.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DNS posted:

The Fox is trolling me by showing Raiders of the Lost Ark last year and skipping to Last Crusade this year. I'd kill to see Temple of Doom in a theater.

They probably had to pick one or the other, not to mention going with more family-friendly films. They chose wisely - Temple of Doom is the worst film in the series.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

They probably had to pick one or the other, not to mention going with more family-friendly films. They chose wisely - Temple of Doom is the worst film in the series.

ToD's my favorite because it's the scariest. The other Indy movies bore me if I'm going to be honest.

Gone with the Wind at the Fox should be cool. I'm gonna check that out for sure.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

They chose wisely - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the worst film in the series.

Fixed that for you.

Tomorrow Cinefamily is airing Werner Hertzogs "Nosforatu". He'll also be there in person. Afterwards they're showing "Death Spa". I wish I could make it to either showing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At worst, Crystal Skull is just mediocre. Temple of Doom has that nasty eighties vibe of being fueled by booze and cocaine. It's not a bad movie, but I'll revisit the last before I want to sit through it again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Egbert Souse posted:

At worst, Crystal Skull is just mediocre. Temple of Doom has that nasty eighties vibe of being fueled by booze and cocaine. It's not a bad movie, but I'll revisit the last before I want to sit through it again.

Temple of Doom is also by far the most racist (and that's including the random native assassins/alien worshipers in Crystal Skull).

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

RandomPauI posted:

Fixed that for you.

Tomorrow Cinefamily is airing Werner Hertzogs "Nosforatu". He'll also be there in person. Afterwards they're showing "Death Spa". I wish I could make it to either showing.

poo poo I said I'd be at a show. drat that would own.

Seeing "The Warriors" at midnight at the New Beverly this Saturday, though.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Upcoming stuff at BAM

All Hail the King: The Films of King Hu
Runs 6/6 - 6/17
Movies and showtimes: http://www.bam.org/film/2014/all-hail-the-king

By Any Means Necessary: A Spike Lee Joints Retrospective
Runs 6/29-7/10
Movies and showtimes: http://www.bam.org/programs/2014/by-any-means-necessary (both features and documentaries)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat do these guys get some crazy movies. Cinefamily at the Silent Movie Theater in Los Angeles are screening a rare print of Who Can Kill A Child? this weekend. Trailer is in the attached link.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/special-events-june-2014/

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Just wanted people to have a heads up that time is running out to watch the new Jodorowsky film. It's basically being shown for a week.

Date: May 30

Los Angeles, CA | Theater: Regent (Landmark)
Screenings: 1 Week

Boston, MA | Theater: Kendall (Landmark)

Washington D.C. | Theater: E Street Theater (Landmark)

Chicago, IL | Theater: Music Box Theater

San Francisco, CA | Theater: Opera Plaza (Landmark)

Berkeley, CA | Theater: California Theater (Landmark)

Philadelphia, PA | Theater: Ritz At the Bourse (Landmark)

Sacramento, CA | Theater: The Crest Theatre
Screenings: 2 Days

Date: May 31
Savannah, GA | Theater: The Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah
Screenings: 1 Day

oh what the hell I'll just post a link:

http://danceofrealitymovie.com/?p=21

I'm sure it'll be replayed time and time again like El Topo and Holy Mountain are, but this is the initial release and it won't be here forever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What the poo poo, how did I not hear about that? Thanks for the heads up! I might try and catch that tomorrow night.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Dance of Reality is showing in NYC at the Sunshine and they keep movies there for a while generally if people are still going (Rust and Bone was there for like five months). Of what's showing there now/soon Palo Alto is the next getting bumped and then I think Only Lovers Left Alive. I don't think The Grand Seduction will be there very long so there's space for it to hang around a while longer, would bet on it running about two or two and a half months from when it started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Three weeks of Alec Guinness movies start at the Film Forum on Friday. Here's the schedule: http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/alec_guinness_100_festival#nowplaying

• Locked thread