Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Cicero posted:

That doesn't take into account any vacation or sick time though. Unless you're a vacation-hating superman you should make the divisor slightly smaller to account for that.

You guys are really over complicating this stuff.

Sick, vacation, it doesn't matter. Whether you work 40 hours in a week or take 40 hours of vacation time you're still paid for a 40 hour week. The only time you'd be under 2080 hours is if you take unpaid leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You guys are really over complicating this stuff.

Sick, vacation, it doesn't matter. Whether you work 40 hours in a week or take 40 hours of vacation time you're still paid for a 40 hour week. The only time you'd be under 2080 hours is if you take unpaid leave.
But this is BFC, that's our job!!

I do the 2x hourly or 1/2 salary when I'm chatting with people in person, but if I'm making a post or chatting online I always use a calculator.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Cicero posted:

That doesn't take into account any vacation or sick time though. Unless you're a vacation-hating superman you should make the divisor slightly smaller to account for that.

I actually get paid more when I'm on holidays though, :australia: land of the 17.5% leave loading.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

razz posted:

Well yeah, obviously it's not as accurate but I browse jobs all the time and I'll see something like $13/hour and I'll think "hey that seems alright" until I just x2 it and realize it's about $26K a year which is pretty crap. It's not mean to be hella accurate, it's just a fast and dirty calculation.

so... multiply by 2080? are you one of those people that needs to double the tax to figure out a restaurant tip?

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012
Working on a day shift, I earn £10.00 an hour.
Last year I changed job roles because I wanted to start working a 4 on 4 off shift which meant a wage rise to £15.00 an hour.
Someone from my previous job role was promoted along side me and he is now on shifts, with the wage rise, but for the life of me, I cannot make the jump.
I've been given every excuse under the sun but I feel my manager is giving me the run around.

Any ideas on how to assert my position? I'm no longer training or anything like that, if anything I've shown my fellow colleague how to get on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FordGT40 posted:

Working on a day shift, I earn £10.00 an hour.
Last year I changed job roles because I wanted to start working a 4 on 4 off shift which meant a wage rise to £15.00 an hour.
Someone from my previous job role was promoted along side me and he is now on shifts, with the wage rise, but for the life of me, I cannot make the jump.
I've been given every excuse under the sun but I feel my manager is giving me the run around.

Any ideas on how to assert my position? I'm no longer training or anything like that, if anything I've shown my fellow colleague how to get on.

Do you have an HR department and/or union rep?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
As I stated in a previous post, I applied for a position with another department at my company. It is considered a lateral move. Got the news that I received the position, and they also offered me a $1500.00 a year raise, from 35,700 to 37,200.

When I was talking with the HR rep about the position, I asked them if that was factoring in the reviews coming up. They said that it was. I figured that must have meant that I got a pretty low raise on my current review, that was in the system, but not presented to me yet.

Tonight, I get my review. Got an exceeds expectations with a nice bonus. And a raise to...37,300.00. SLIGHTLY MORE than they were offering me for the new position.

Tomorrow, I'm going to need to call back the HR rep and get a clarification on what I'm actually going to be paid for this position. Ideally, I'd like to get the $1500.00 a year raise they offered, which would put me pretty much where I am now including shift differential. If I don't get anything, though, I'm going to be a bit mad. But I also don't want to re-neg on taking the position so I don't get blackballed in the future for things that come up. It's a total rock/hard place situation, and I'm just hoping the HR rep wasn't clear in what she was saying. Hoping things work out.

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Do you have an HR department and/or union rep?

Yes, we have a HR department, unfortunately she's pro management so she won't side with me.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Did they promise you the £5 raise before you took on the position? If so do you have that in writing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FordGT40 posted:

Yes, we have a HR department, unfortunately she's pro management so she won't side with me.

HR is always pro management, it's their job.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

blackmet posted:

As I stated in a previous post, I applied for a position with another department at my company. It is considered a lateral move. Got the news that I received the position, and they also offered me a $1500.00 a year raise, from 35,700 to 37,200.

When I was talking with the HR rep about the position, I asked them if that was factoring in the reviews coming up. They said that it was. I figured that must have meant that I got a pretty low raise on my current review, that was in the system, but not presented to me yet.

Tonight, I get my review. Got an exceeds expectations with a nice bonus. And a raise to...37,300.00. SLIGHTLY MORE than they were offering me for the new position.

Tomorrow, I'm going to need to call back the HR rep and get a clarification on what I'm actually going to be paid for this position. Ideally, I'd like to get the $1500.00 a year raise they offered, which would put me pretty much where I am now including shift differential. If I don't get anything, though, I'm going to be a bit mad. But I also don't want to re-neg on taking the position so I don't get blackballed in the future for things that come up. It's a total rock/hard place situation, and I'm just hoping the HR rep wasn't clear in what she was saying. Hoping things work out.
Man. Companies. I hope you get the performance/COLA raise + the $1500... You earned it and all. Good luck!

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Did they promise you the £5 raise before you took on the position? If so do you have that in writing?

Unfortunately, no, I don't. I pulled my manager to one side yesterday and asked what was happening, he said it was just a work issue but once orders started picking up again in April, I'm good to go. Still feel like it's a never, never promise though.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

What are people's experiences with not getting a response right away? My boss just told me that they would need to go through HR before anything else can happen. Since this is a smaller company, HR is actually a just part time contractor who is a master at expectations management.

I've been working here for 16 months, and for the last 4 months I've been leading a couple of new hires who were brought in to expand on the project I started. I'm making $77k now, and based on glassdoor and cold calls from recruiters, I could make that 90-100k in the current market. Don't ask me how the tech sector works :shrug:. I like working here, and I'd be thrilled if I could secure 90-95k while keeping my current job.

I guess what happens next depends on how they respond, which could be any of the following.
1. Ignore me and hope the issue goes away
2. Deny it
3. Make an offer which is above my current salary but below market for what my position has transitioned into
4. Exceed my wildest dreams (haha)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Until you have a $90k offer in hand and are willing to leave your market value is $77k.

Most places give a raise once a year or so. You most likely will get around $3k if you did a great job. But if the company isn't making much money expect $0.

It sounds like you started at a low salary and honestly that is very hard to overcome while staying at the same company.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Blorange posted:

What are people's experiences with not getting a response right away? My boss just told me that they would need to go through HR before anything else can happen. Since this is a smaller company, HR is actually a just part time contractor who is a master at expectations management.

I've been working here for 16 months, and for the last 4 months I've been leading a couple of new hires who were brought in to expand on the project I started. I'm making $77k now, and based on glassdoor and cold calls from recruiters, I could make that 90-100k in the current market. Don't ask me how the tech sector works :shrug:. I like working here, and I'd be thrilled if I could secure 90-95k while keeping my current job.

I guess what happens next depends on how they respond, which could be any of the following.
1. Ignore me and hope the issue goes away
2. Deny it
3. Make an offer which is above my current salary but below market for what my position has transitioned into
4. Exceed my wildest dreams (haha)

You are renting your labor to your employer. You have every right to set expectations, and to hold your employer to those expectations, under pain of renting your labor to someone else. Right now it sounds like you did not make your boss getting back to you SMART. What is SMART?

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Timely

A SMART goal to set for your boss would be: "I want to have an answer for a raise to 95k by March 3rd 2014." This is an awesome goal, it is specific in terms of the amount of compensation, it's measurable (Either they pay you 95k, or they don't), it's attainable (they need to be able to afford paying you what software developers make, or go out of business), it's relevant (to you, it's your sole income! to them it's continuing to enjoy the work you provide!), and it's timely (you set a time frame by which you expect an answer).

It doesn't sound like you communicated crisply what you expected a raise to, or when you wanted an answer by, thus making it easier to blow you off. You need to get assertive and precise if you want your employer to do right by you. If they don't, start evaluating other places. You realistically could have another ~$975 of post tax income in your pocket every month by jumping ship to an employer who pays you market rates.

Would you pay $975 a month to continue working at your present job?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Alright Ike, after reading this thread I decided to see what I'm worth since I feel like I might be underpaid in my job. I like my job, and it would take a lot to make me leave my job, but I figure it can't hurt to know what I'm worth.

So now next week I have an interview with a company I don't really want to work for, for a job I don't really want, and I'm wondering what I should do if they ask about salary expectations. Should I just ask for as much as I can? Should I let them offer an amount? How did you come to the number you wanted on the offer letters you then used to get a raise at job you already had?

I hope this post was clear, it's been a long day.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Deadite posted:

Alright Ike, after reading this thread I decided to see what I'm worth since I feel like I might be underpaid in my job. I like my job, and it would take a lot to make me leave my job, but I figure it can't hurt to know what I'm worth.

So now next week I have an interview with a company I don't really want to work for, for a job I don't really want, and I'm wondering what I should do if they ask about salary expectations. Should I just ask for as much as I can? Should I let them offer an amount? How did you come to the number you wanted on the offer letters you then used to get a raise at job you already had?

Be careful. Don't bring an offer for employment elsewhere to your current job unless you're willing to go there. There's always a chance your boss can say "gently caress you, go work there instead"

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I understand, I wasn't planning on bringing the letter in to my boss and saying match it or I'm outa here. I just thought I'd follow Dwight Eisenhower's plan from earlier in the thread.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

- I started interviewing with other companies. I was ready to leave if I found the right thing. I didn't find anything that was perfect, but I did secure offer letters. This gave me both a realistic, personal gauge of my market value, as well as showed that I was a sufficiently mobile employee that there was a real chance that I would leave.

And while I am ready to leave if I find the right thing, it would need to be a major increase in pay to get me to leave my current job. I'm just trying to get a sense of what other similar companies would pay me for what I do.

This all stems from when I was negotiating for my current job, I named a salary figure and they gave me exactly what I asked for. They didn't even try to bring it down a little. So I've always assumed that what I asked for was low for the team and my co-workers are making much more than I am for the same work.

Also I'm about 90% certain I'll be in the next few months, and salary increase/negotiation will come with that.

Deadite fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 1, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Getting what you asked for doesn't mean you are underpaid. When I interviewed for this job I have now they asked what it would take to make me move across the country and work there. I had already looked at col and the raise I wanted before flying out for the second interview. I told them a number and they offered $2k more, then we worked another $3k onto it. All our pay scales are on the intranet for every grade so if they wanted they could have brought me in at about $15k less, at the bottom of the grade. They wanted me to come out there and make that move though so they paid my that way.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Deadite posted:

You have to use this opportunity as it is. That means it's worth something, but it isn't leverage, because you aren't willing to take it. To wit:

- Argue aggressively but don't sit down and say "Well, it's 260k or I'm walking." You are doing this to learn what your market value is. If you pull an ultimatum like that out, you've learned you are worth less than 260k.
- Try not to be too ambivalent about this opportunity. You might actually have something worth evaluating here, but if you go in with the well poisoned, you'll never figure that out. Also, if you're sufficiently ambivalent, it will decrease this potential employer's willingness to negotiate with you.
- Get your number and then file it away as information. It is not an opportunity. An opportunity is an offer you might realistically accept. This is pricing information that helps you renegotiate your current salary, or negotiate a better salary with a new employer you might actually want to work with. It is not leverage; leverage is an opportunity you are actually willing to take.

If your present employer didn't negotiate with you it could mean:

- You were way under market. Oops!
- What you wanted to make and what they wanted to pay you were exactly aligned. Wow!
- Your ask was higher than your present employer wanted to pay, but close enough that they felt that negotiation and risking you accepting the offer wasn't worth it.

It means with aggressive posturing and negotiation you can almost certainly make more, but that doesn't mean you're under market.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Have any of you guys worked at a company where they only review salary and bonuses once a year? My employer went to specific pains to bring it up to me during my first couple weeks of the job, but there still has to be some kind of mechanism to deal with people who want a raise in April/May or who were dissatisfied with the raise they got in November/December.

It seems like such a terrible position for a company to take - hand out one year of bad raises, and spend the remaining 11 months bleeding workers because they can't make a deal for retention. They hire year round, after all.

I think my raise percentage was pretty good, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my base salary was low when they hired me.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 4, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Have any of you guys worked at a company where they only review salary and bonuses once a year? My employer went to specific pains to bring it up to me during my first couple weeks of the job, but there still has to be some kind of mechanism to deal with people who want a raise in April/May or who were dissatisfied with the raise they got in November/December.

It seems like such a terrible position for a company to take - hand out one year of bad raises, and spend the remaining 11 months bleeding workers because they can't make a deal for retention. They hire year round, after all.

I think my raise percentage was pretty good, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my base salary was low when they hired me.

This is pretty normal everywhere I have worked. You get the yearly review, then a couple weeks later you get the raise and bonus.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Correct. There's just the annual performance review where past year review, merit increase, and new goals are to be established. Then there are supposed to be quarterly follow-up meetings. But that poo poo never happens.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So if you wanted a mid-year raise at these places, say as a retention thing, you'd have to talk to your boss about it and then wait up to 12 months for the raise to be awarded?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No most places will just say tough poo poo. Where I work now I get a raise and bonus based entirely on past performance. Good review means more money. You can always talk to your boss about it but honestly at most offices you have little chance to see anything happen unless you have an offer letter in hand and you are absolutely willing to leave if they tell you no thanks, we pay you enough.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
They can do anything they want to take the effort to do. Not being able to because of "reasons" or "policy" will be overturned the second they need to. I gave my notice and got a counteroffer and raise in 2 weeks, which I've been told was impossible before I gave notice.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

LorneReams posted:

They can do anything they want to take the effort to do. Not being able to because of "reasons" or "policy" will be overturned the second they need to. I gave my notice and got a counteroffer and raise in 2 weeks, which I've been told was impossible before I gave notice.

This. Their policy is only adhered to to the extent that they find it beneficial.

Also the "only once a year thing" is a double edged sword and you should be happy using it against your employer. During yearly review emphasize that this is their only opportunity to retain your services for the next 365 days, so they better make the most of it.

That is, of course, bullshit, but you're just playing the game the way they dictated it be played.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Is this a thread where I can bitch about how badly I'm getting hosed? I just found out my salary range for my grade level at my APR (which apparently required HR and manager to collaborate to give the range) and realized I've been paid the bottom dollar despite me putting in 50-60 hours a week every week all last year and being told that not one of the corporate milestones could not have been met without me.

In fact, they had to give me an equity increase just so I'd get within the new salary range for this year. :sigh:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I've had difficulty researching comparable salaries for the work I do. I work a small/middle sized non-profit. Salary.com and glassdoor.com don't have much to say about what I'm experiencing.

Background - We're in the growth stage; promotions and full-time hires (I'm paid for 30 hrs/week currently) are totally dependent on the grants we pull and the donations we get. We recently hired an executive director to succeed a man who had volunteered out of retirement. The new executive director has several years of experience leading a veteran-focused non-profit and promised to bring me to full time and increase my pay as his deputy director. I already do the work he wants, so we would just be negotiating pay.

How did we afford the executive directors $120k/yr salary? He's on a contingency plan, and if he doesn't fundraise his salary in 6 months, he's gone. He dual-hats as a program director and that particular program got a huge state grant, so that's how he's being paid currently.

Anyway, I figure the limiting factor is the overall budget, rather than how much they love me. I know they love me and I'm worth more than I'm paid; I can't ask for money they don't have obviously. An appropriate salary would determine whether I move on around July or stick around until I begin graduate school in Fall 2015. Any advice?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Okay Dwight, I interviewed last week and received an offer this week which is 25% more than I am making now, however the company doesn't send offer letters until they receive a verbal acceptance. So do I accept just to get the offer letter? Or just know the number without having the backup? I have two days to accept.

Edit: 25% is right on the tipping point where this changes from information to a job-I-might-actually-take, so I keep going back and forth.

One option I have is to talk to my current manager about this, since as luck would have it he's accepted a new job as his last day is on Friday. Maybe he could give some insight as to what I can expect if I ask for a raise? Is that a bad idea?

Deadite fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 10, 2014

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Deadite posted:

Okay Dwight, I interviewed last week and received an offer this week which is 25% more than I am making now, however the company doesn't send offer letters until they receive a verbal acceptance. So do I accept just to get the offer letter? Or just know the number without having the backup? I have two days to accept.

Edit: 25% is right on the tipping point where this changes from information to a job-I-might-actually-take, so I keep going back and forth.

One option I have is to talk to my current manager about this, since as luck would have it he's accepted a new job as his last day is on Friday. Maybe he could give some insight as to what I can expect if I ask for a raise? Is that a bad idea?

Congratulations!

Are you ready to hop jobs? That is, if you had an offer letter in hand, and you showed it to your present employer, and they wouldn't match it, would you take it?

If they did match it, would you take it?

If they exceeded it, would you take it?

This new place is reluctant to put anything in writing because it reduces the odds they get into a bidding war with your current employer, which is shrewd of them. It should also count against them in your evaluation, but remember, they're being significantly more generous with their offer. The two day deadline is also a red flag. Either you have competition for this position and you are their first choice, or they're trying to pressure you into accepting it with ultimatum style negotiating. The lack of concrete letter suggests the latter to my mind.

Keep the following in mind: You now have concrete evidence that you are worth 25% more than you are making now! This other position, absent this better offer, was not something you even seriously considered in your last post in this thread! If they had not made a generous offer, you wouldn't have minded letting this opportunity slip!

The opportunity you have doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room and greatly constrains your freedom, so I wouldn't value it very highly, and I'd be willing to let it expire. My advice is:

1) Talk to your leaving boss, get a feel for what's realistic with your present employer. I think it would be reasonable to ask if that pay scale is realistic in your department. It is less reasonable to ask who specifically is making money matching that offer.
2) IF it sounds realistic AND you'd accept a match AND you think you can get an answer back within the day, then go ahead and ask for it. Take the other offer if they say no.
3) If you can't get a firm answer in the next two days but you're still up for jumping ship, then contact the new employer and ask them for more time. If they say no, then they couldn't make it work.

DO NOT resign without an offer letter in hand. IF you accept the offer, be very explicit in what you are accepting, e.g.

"Per our discussion on March Whatever, 2014, I have decided to accept the position of Widget Hatstander at the agreed upon salary of WhatIMakeNowPlusTwentyFivePercent."

Don't be super aggressive and overplay your hand, because this offer isn't a particularly good one apart from the price. If you can secure that kind of money once, you can very likely do it again if you continue looking.

Good luck!!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Thanks for your response Dwight. I talked to my outgoing manager, and he advised me to talk to my boss if I am seriously considering taking the job, because my boss will likely counter-offer. But given what you point out about the offer (no letter, short window) and a few other things I am no longer seriously considering taking this job.

I guess for now I will just keep it to myself, although it is hard to say no to this much money.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd just say yes and then if your current job matches the offer letter tell the other company that something else came up. You're not legally obligated to them until you sign the paperwork, right? I don't think accepting a job verbally is legally binding.

Am I wrong about that?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'd just say yes and then if your current job matches the offer letter tell the other company that something else came up. You're not legally obligated to them until you sign the paperwork, right? I don't think accepting a job verbally is legally binding.

Am I wrong about that?

It's dicey. I would always say that you need the written offer to consider and go over before any decision is made. If they are unwilling to provide that, then that is a major red flag to me. I know people in HR who talk about people never accepting the written offer, and they way they make it sound, it's a normal occurance. But then again, I don't work for a terrible company so YMMV.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Am I wrong about that?

Even if you accepted it in writing, you're not signing up for indentured servitude. Unless there's a signing bonus you have to pay back or something like that, I doubt the new company would have any recourse at all other than blacklisting your name for future hiring.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Cranbe posted:

Even if you accepted it in writing, you're not signing up for indentured servitude. Unless there's a signing bonus you have to pay back or something like that, I doubt the new company would have any recourse at all other than blacklisting your name for future hiring.

Yeah, you can back out of an offer you signed if you want without legal repercussions. You're still a guy who backed out after signing an offer letter.

This certainly means this company will never accept your services; and they'll probably try and drag your name through the mud for a little bit.

Basically it costs nearly nothing to write an offer letter, so some place being reluctant to do so is pretty sketchy.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Deadite posted:

I'm sorry, but this sounds super shady to me. The "we need verbal acceptance before we offer written offer" is weird enough, but two days to accept? Red flags all around. You should get at least 3-4 business days to think about it. What industry are you in, is this type of behavior the norm?

Im not trying to argue with this Dwight D Eisenhower dude since he typed like a page of response to your paragraph of info but I would run away at all costs. If they are that desperate to fill the job that they're giving you ONLY two days AND you don't even get an offer in writing, you either don't want to work for them or can get more than 25%.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah the more I thought about it the worse it seemed, and in the end it was fairly easy to turn the job down. Aside from the HR rep not giving me much time or an offer letter, a lot came out in the interview that were also red flags for me.

The decision should have been easier than it was, but once I heard the salary increase all I could think about was money. It would have been a big mistake to accept that job.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Doctor Malaver posted:

I've been wanting to ask for a raise but I'm uncertain about the amount. I've tried Glassdoor and Salary.com but I believe my situation is a little specific.

- paid by the hour
- successful, small/medium publishing house
- US based but outsourcing a lot
- all employees are telecommuting
- hours are very flexible, I get to pick both quantity and schedule
- officially an editor, but not the kind that works with text but instead has administrative and supervising duties that sometimes spread into hiring and acquisitions

So, how much do you think such a position should be paid? Glassdoor gives $50k median for "editor" and Salary.com gives $56k median for Communications Editor II. I'm not from the US so I'm not sure about translating that to an hourly equivalent. Do the perks (I can work as much as I want and whenever I want, within reason, and also from wherever I want) lower the monetary remuneration?

I have a talk scheduled with my boss for tomorrow and I'm planning to ask for a raise. My first thought was to ask for 25% increase to bring me closer to what I believe is the market value (unfortunately I can't get good sources on that), but in the mean time I started getting more and more project manager type of tasks. Pushing your co-workers and having them report to you should be paid even more I believe, so I started considering 37,5%. Maybe that sounds a lot but I started low.

I read the whole thread again in preparation. What bothers me is that the most important thing should be to have other options (ideally a written offer) but I don't have them. Jobs of this kind don't exist where I live and relocation is not an option. Finding another telecommuting job that pays equal or better would be very unlikely.

I know the boss is mostly happy with my work and gave me a $1k bonus/reward last month to help with a non-business trip I took. A similar situation happened a year ago. I was preparing to ask for a raise and before I gathered courage to do it, accounting informed me that I got a 7% raise, which is less than what I would've asked for. This time I got a one-time bonus which is also nice but I would prefer a raise.

I guess I'm rambling a little but any advice welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

I have a talk scheduled with my boss for tomorrow and I'm planning to ask for a raise. My first thought was to ask for 25% increase to bring me closer to what I believe is the market value (unfortunately I can't get good sources on that), but in the mean time I started getting more and more project manager type of tasks. Pushing your co-workers and having them report to you should be paid even more I believe, so I started considering 37,5%. Maybe that sounds a lot but I started low.

I read the whole thread again in preparation. What bothers me is that the most important thing should be to have other options (ideally a written offer) but I don't have them. Jobs of this kind don't exist where I live and relocation is not an option. Finding another telecommuting job that pays equal or better would be very unlikely.

I know the boss is mostly happy with my work and gave me a $1k bonus/reward last month to help with a non-business trip I took. A similar situation happened a year ago. I was preparing to ask for a raise and before I gathered courage to do it, accounting informed me that I got a 7% raise, which is less than what I would've asked for. This time I got a one-time bonus which is also nice but I would prefer a raise.

I guess I'm rambling a little but any advice welcome.

This thread's about salary negotiation, the keyword being negotiation. Look over Kalenn's early post in this thread about Best Alternative to a Negotiated Alternative.

Reading your post, it looks like the Best Alternative to a Negotiated Alternative is you continue to work for your present employer at your present salary. If your employer knows this too, then you can rely on nothing but their kindness to continue receiving raises.

This is a bad place to be in! However, you do not have any immediate ticking clock, so don't panic, don't feel discouraged, and don't feel guilty. If you're like most Americans, noone taught you how to play this game and now you're trying to learn, that's the first step.

You absolutely are not going to get a 37.5% increase in pay by demanding it without viable leverage. You might get that kind of raise, but almost certainly only by your manager's discretion. In this case you have to ask nicely and hope he or she is having a good day. This is about the best advice anyone can give you.

If you want to go in with the ability to demand, you need leverage. If you absolutely cannot relocate, you can do two things:

- Go out and talk to people looking for your skillset in your industry regardless of location, and find your market price. You can still get offers and get pricing info even if you are not accepting those positions due to location. You can try and bluff your way into a raise with this information. Your employer might call your bluff. If they do, in the future you'll have even less leverage.
- Do the work to find another opportunity that uses your skills and lets you telecommute. It will be hard work to do this. Who said getting a 37.5% raise would be easy? However now you have real leverage.

Finally you need to get realistic about your overall life structure. You say you "cannot relocate", which means you cannot practice your chosen profession where you currently reside. If your present employer went out of business today, what would you do? Could you relocate then? If you could make 2x what you make now, would you move for that?

This exercise is a good way to think about exactly what your present residence is worth. If you can find circumstances where you would move, you now understand how much you actually feel where you live now is worth. Does this number make sense to you when you identify it?

• Locked thread