Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Deadite posted:

Alright Ike, after reading this thread I decided to see what I'm worth since I feel like I might be underpaid in my job. I like my job, and it would take a lot to make me leave my job, but I figure it can't hurt to know what I'm worth.

So now next week I have an interview with a company I don't really want to work for, for a job I don't really want, and I'm wondering what I should do if they ask about salary expectations. Should I just ask for as much as I can? Should I let them offer an amount? How did you come to the number you wanted on the offer letters you then used to get a raise at job you already had?

I hope this post was clear, it's been a long day.

Be careful. Don't bring an offer for employment elsewhere to your current job unless you're willing to go there. There's always a chance your boss can say "gently caress you, go work there instead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I work in tax public accounting and have all but been guaranteed a promotion come August and with it a 12ish% pay bump. (when the official promotions come out) but I decided to shop myself around and just received an offer for a industry job at a huge company doing essentially what I do in public, but just a lot fewer hours. It's also at the same level as my promoted position would be. The offer was verbal for a 30% raise above what I have now.

If my current boss would match the offer I would totally stay in public. There's a decentish chance he might or might come close as we are understaffed, and I'm one of very few that is hybridized between two groups and I've bailed out a ton of scheduling conflicts because of my broad skillset.

The new company wants a verbal acceptance of their verbal offer before they give me a written offer letter. But I want a written letter before I chat with my boss, and if I gave my word on the offer from newco, I would not want to go back on it. It's a small world and I like to think I'm an honorable person.

Any thoughts?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Deadite posted:

This exact thing happened to me earlier in the thread. I was told that not getting a letter is a huge red flag, and don't bring it up to your nose unless you are serious about leaving for the new job. Consider where you would be happier working before you say anything.

I stuck with my old job and I don't regret it at all.

I was just told five minutes ago that they'd give me a written offer tomorrow , they just wanted to get me the verbal today because HR took forever to get all the stuff approved. I'm kind of playing whisper down the lane because I'm using a head hunter.

I'd be super happy either place and either place would give me an amazing challenging career. So I'm 100% being loyal to the dollar.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bloody Queef posted:

I was just told five minutes ago that they'd give me a written offer tomorrow , they just wanted to get me the verbal today because HR took forever to get all the stuff approved. I'm kind of playing whisper down the lane because I'm using a head hunter.

I'd be super happy either place and either place would give me an amazing challenging career. So I'm 100% being loyal to the dollar.

Quoting myself to update the thread. My current boss wasn't really willing/able to play ball since people at the same level pretty much all get the same salary since we bill out at the same rate.

So I get where he's coming from, but I accepted the offer with the new company. 30% raise and trading half a year of 80+ hour weeks for only 4 weeks worth of that! So pumped!

• Locked thread