Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
All of this info about 4.4 and ART in particular is making me hopeful that a CM port will come out for my Evo 3D (don't fail me now, XDA!). It's still hanging in there with 4.3 and I imagine it could be pretty snappy with 4.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like Google's wanting to drop Dalvik as soon as possible, if that interview's to be believed:

http://readwrite.com/2013/11/07/google-says-it-could-replace-dalvik-runtime-in-next-version-of-android

I wonder if they mean next release as in 4.4.1 or 4.5 or 5.0.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dishonest Résumé posted:

It stayed in my pocket for 5 hours till my lunch break, and when I pulled it out, the battery was down to 35 percent ... Is my screen staying on for some reason?

Probably. Mine has a really easy to trigger power button, and often when I pull it out of my pocket the screen is already on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if they mean next release as in 4.4.1 or 4.5 or 5.0.

Sounds like they're fairly confident it's working well, and really they just want people to beta test it and see if anything still has issues. I'm guessing it's more about a time window, if there's no new release for a while they might be happy to ship with the next incremental version.

Anyone here been trying it out? I've heard a lot of people saying it really is noticeably faster, especially in opening apps, and it should extend your battery life too, it could be something that brings Android closer to iOS and Windows phones in that respect. You'll have to wait around after the first reboot while it recompiles your apps though

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Works fine for me. Apart from Whatsapp and my mobile banking app, everything runs peachy.

In regards to armbands for a Nexus 5, I suppose anything that can hold a Galaxy S4 would do, given the pretty similar dimensions? The N5 is only 0.8mm taller.

--edit: I suppose next release may be whatever comes with Google IO. If they manage write a decently working release candidate of a compiler within two years, the next six months to IO may be enough to get rid of the remaining kinks.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 10, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Irritated Goat posted:

Ever since I updated to 4.3 on my S4, I get a notification that something tried to access a secure portion of the phone and to update my policy. What the hell is this crap?
That would be KNOX. If you're rooted (and I'm guessing you are to be getting the notification) it's fairly simple to disable, this page lists what to freeze to stop it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: I suppose next release may be whatever comes with Google IO. If they manage write a decently working release candidate of a compiler within two years, the next six months to IO may be enough to get rid of the remaining kinks.

Actually that's a good point, this is the kind of thing they'd really want a keynote announcement for. Inspirational chat and some fancy graphics on the slides, graphs showing how WOW better everything is.

On the plus side they might push out compiler updates with smaller updates if there are any changes big enough to be worth testing, so you'll probably have the final version early if it's enabled in developer options

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Works fine for me. Apart from Whatsapp and my mobile banking app, everything runs peachy.

I switched back to Dalvik and it seems some of my apps had funky behavior attributable to ART. I want to use it but I like my apps. I figure over the next few months active developers will start updating for compatibility.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Sounds like they're fairly confident it's working well, and really they just want people to beta test it and see if anything still has issues. I'm guessing it's more about a time window, if there's no new release for a while they might be happy to ship with the next incremental version.

Anyone here been trying it out? I've heard a lot of people saying it really is noticeably faster, especially in opening apps, and it should extend your battery life too, it could be something that brings Android closer to iOS and Windows phones in that respect. You'll have to wait around after the first reboot while it recompiles your apps though

Sounds good. Can't wait for 4.4 for the Nexus 4 to see if they keep it in so I can maybe try it. :v:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

datajosh posted:

That would be KNOX. If you're rooted (and I'm guessing you are to be getting the notification) it's fairly simple to disable, this page lists what to freeze to stop it.

I'm actually not rooted. I have no idea why it freaks out daily.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I've got a terribly complex Nexus5, stock KitKat issue that googling has not helped me sort out. Be ready for some reading:

I want to save a photo that has been sent to me via MMS from an iPhone4. I tap on it, it zooms in, if I long tap on the preview and I get a menu of "copy text, forward, view details or Delete". This is an obscure function request, I know, but any help is appreciated. I'd rather not install the 2010 "autosave mms" app for the purpose of keeping android stock while I relearn how to do simple things.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Forward it to your email? Not being snarky, I just think that would solve it. I haven't tried saving an mms image yet..

E:

baka kaba posted:

Might be different in new Hangouts and with MMS, but if it's showing up in a speech bubble, try tapping it so it goes fullscreen, then tap again to get the UI to reappear. You might have the ... menu button, and the only option I have in there is Save
This works in Hangouts, just tried it.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 10, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sounds good. Can't wait for 4.4 for the Nexus 4 to see if they keep it in so I can maybe try it. :v:

I have a GNex :v: :suicide: :v:

shadow puppet of a posted:

I've got a terribly complex Nexus5, stock KitKat issue that googling has not helped me sort out. Be ready for some reading:

I want to save a photo that has been sent to me via MMS from an iPhone4. I tap on it, it zooms in, if I long tap on the preview and I get a menu of "copy text, forward, view details or Delete". This is an obscure function request, I know, but any help is appreciated. I'd rather not install the 2010 "autosave mms" app for the purpose of keeping android stock while I relearn how to do simple things.

Might be different in new Hangouts and with MMS, but if it's showing up in a speech bubble, try tapping it so it goes fullscreen, then tap again to get the UI to reappear. You might have the ... menu button, and the only option I have in there is Save

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thanks for trying. The email suggestion is good, "forward" initially only suggests other hangouts contacts, but you can expand the list and grab an email address from People app. But, after adding myself as a new email contact card in the People app, it actively screens from from bringing up a contact that contains my own email address. So i used a dummy one, and then it claims to not find it and says try again later.

There is no secondary tap/swipe/voice-begging for a menu, long tap, pinch or otherwise when it is zoomed in.

This phone may be too advanced for me. In truth most of my use will be texting and I don't want to spend the next 5 years fighting with how Google wants me to use bloody Hangouts and contact lists melded with Google+ that are more complex than for my own good.

Its a fantastic bit of tech though. Shame that my brain has fused all the wrong neurons through five years of Windows Mobile 6.5 usage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Try the method in the post directly above your last - works fine for me (note the menu button is the three squares in the top right hand corner of the display)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

dissss posted:

Try the method in the post directly above your last - works fine for me (note the menu button is the three squares in the top right hand corner of the display)

No dice. No menu 3 dots anywhere when zoomed, the 3 dot menu when unzoomed has no relevant commands.

Vol down+power screencapture was good enough for now though. Sorry for the derail and thanks again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Seriously don't worry, there might be something weird going on here but in general android's pretty easy and consistent to use, you'll be fine. In general, if you ever want to send something to another app, use the share button (looks like a blob connecting to two other blobs). Copy to clipboard is in there too, say if it's a webpage and you want the URL.

The three dot menu icon has the menu options for that section of the app you're currently looking at, it might have a different set of options depending on where you are in the app. That top section is called the action bar, it also has icon buttons for important features you might use frequently. They might not all fit on your display, in which case they go into that down arrow overflow menu. If you ever want to know what anything does, long-press it for a description pop-up.

Long-press is also like right-clicking, so it's how you select things like text, how you get context menus for stuff like images, whatever. If you want to do a thing to something, try giving it a long poke and see what happens.

Really that's most of what you need to know I think, to be able to explore and work things out

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can I have lock screen shortcuts on KitKat? I'm coming from CM10.1 and Sense before that, so I have no idea what stock vs CM features are. The lack of lock screen shortcuts is killing me.

I assume the new launcher is closed, which means no customizable grid spacing, which was really the only launcher feature I used. In hoping there will be ROM's or mods that just add the individual features I'm missing.

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 10, 2013

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Does anyone with a nexus 5 have trouble MMS'ing hdr+ images to other people? I've sent one to my brothers 4.3 gnex and another to my girlfriends iPhone 4 and both are stretched horizontally when they receive it. Non hdr images work fine though. Any ideas?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Powers posted:

Can I have lock screen shortcuts on KitKat? I'm coming from CM10.1 and Sense before that, so I have no idea what stock vs CM features are. The lack of lock screen shortcuts is killing me.
If there's a lock screen widget for it you can do it, I looked through a lot of them but since I don't password I wasn't really interested in shortcuts there.

I've only had the N5 a couple of days but I'm not getting the hate for the battery life. Maybe it's because I'm coming from an old-rear end phone, but I'm really happy with it. I went out tonight and downloaded a couple apps to look for restaurants, used GPS to find some around me, sent some messages in a couple different apps, and looked up gas prices and sent even more texts on the way home. The whole evening I only used up about 25% of the battery. Granted I have things set up pretty conservatively, but it's a comparable setup to what I had on my Epic 4G and I would easily have lost more than half the battery going out. Even put on a pretty live wallpaper kaleidoscope thing that would have torn my old phone's battery up like crazy.

Though that's probably more of a statement on my old rear end phone, I just think it's worth mentioning for those who might be thinking of upgrading from something really old and lovely and worried that it won't work well enough to be tolerable.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CrashCat posted:

If there's a lock screen widget for it you can do it, I looked through a lot of them but since I don't password I wasn't really interested in shortcuts there.

I'm talking about app shortcuts on the unlock ring. It looks like there were slots for icons, but they all just pop up with the lock icon.

Edit: I got 14h20m today on my N5 with 3h20m screen time and 8% left still. I will that is pretty good since I haven't really turned anything off. Way better than my One X.

carticket fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 10, 2013

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CrashCat posted:

I've only had the N5 a couple of days but I'm not getting the hate for the battery life.

I agree, I generally don't use my phone very aggressively but I don't treat it with kid gloves either. This chart is my usage yesterday, I used it on and off while at work then I decided to read a comic for a solid hour.

I've got plenty of apps running in the background with several accessing GPS data, KitKat makes GPS apps much easier on the battery.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

This phone may be too advanced for me. In truth most of my use will be texting and I don't want to spend the next 5 years fighting with how Google wants me to use bloody Hangouts and contact lists melded with Google+ that are more complex than for my own good.

Its a fantastic bit of tech though. Shame that my brain has fused all the wrong neurons through five years of Windows Mobile 6.5 usage.

I don't know the answer to your MMS question, but as someone also coming from WinMo6 I feel like I should try to help with the latter. Figuring out how to deal with the Contacts / G+ integration was how I spent my Friday night, basically. You want the People/Contacts app, Menu (three dots), Contacts To Display. There, pick Customize. You can then remove the G+ category, and select who else you want in there according to their categories in Google contacts (i.e. gmail address book). This "custom view" in the people app carries through to the phone dialer and hides groups there too. It actually works soft of well because the phone is aware of the rest of the contacts you hid, so if you end up with duplicates, you can merge the contact you made with a g+ contact and it'll link their profile/picture (open contact, hit menu, edit, menu, join).

If you can still get your winmo 6 running well enough to run PIM Backup, you can use that to import to google, eventually. Save a backup of contacts as ASCII instead of binary (it's in the options someplace). The backups are then zip files of semicolon-separated fields. Change that to comma-separated with your favorite text editor, and import as csv via contacts.google.com. They'll be given a handy category of "Imported <date>" then show up on your phone. You can then use the Custom View on your phone to remove the other categories. It's kind of convoluted but does work, eventually :)

[edit] I remembered I do have an inbound MMS from an iphone, so I replicated the steps the folks above suggested. I'm not sure what to say other than perhaps you're just not tapping in the right place. With the photo in the "bubble" in the hangouts app, I tap it once to go fullscreen. I then tap that photo again and the UI temporarly comes up. Tap the three-dots menu icon in the top right, then hit Save. Now if you exit Hangouts and go to the Gallery app, you'll find the picture in the Download section. From there you can use the "Share" button (ball and stick diagram icon next to the "boxes" menu icon) and send it to any of 20 options.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 10, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Did you manage to get it for $200 during the Amazon screw up?

Nope. Borrowed a friend moms upgrade and got it free. Stoked

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ok, second stupid question. Does anyone else's Nexus 5 make a rattling noise, coming from the top half of the phone when tapped, or shaken with the sim tray removed with the power off?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

:psyduck:

Put the sim try back in

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mu Zeta posted:

:psyduck:

Put the sim try back in

Still rattlin' like a $399 black maraca

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Ok, second stupid question. Does anyone else's Nexus 5 make a rattling noise, coming from the top half of the phone when tapped, or shaken with the sim tray removed with the power off?

Could be the OIS mechanism in the camera or the power/volume buttons shaking around. I know the buttons on mine are pretty loose.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Still rattlin' like a $399 black maraca

No mine doesn't rattle. It sucks but I'd just return it. Or see if they can ship you the replacement first.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2512945

Pretty sure this is what you're talking about.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lakitu7 posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2512945

Pretty sure this is what you're talking about.

"I did the very same with my Nexus 4. Using tiny bits of tissue. Dunno why everyone is crying about it, its a very simple fix! "

Wow, its a 10 minute disassembly video. I've been successfully scared away. Just got off the rattly phone with Google, I'm going to have to ship it back for a refund. Bummer, I may have had the thing figured out in another 6 months or so.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 10, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

baka kaba posted:

Seriously don't worry, there might be something weird going on here but in general android's pretty easy and consistent to use, you'll be fine.

Apart from the back button, which should be renamed shuffle.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm talking about app shortcuts on the unlock ring. It looks like there were slots for icons, but they all just pop up with the lock icon.

Edit: I got 14h20m today on my N5 with 3h20m screen time and 8% left still. I will that is pretty good since I haven't really turned anything off. Way better than my One X.

Also interested in this! Anyone know how to get it?

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

My buddy dropped his S4 and cracked the glass but it looks like the digitizer is still ok (I think). He wants me to find a cheap replacement, has anyone had any luck with the ~$5 glass sold on Amazon? Or any other suggestions for a way to fix it without spending too much?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Powers posted:

Oh yeah, that would be nice, or the ring at the bottom that just has a shortcut for Google Now would be another good place. It does seem like it should be possible.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Laopooh posted:

My buddy dropped his S4 and cracked the glass but it looks like the digitizer is still ok (I think). He wants me to find a cheap replacement, has anyone had any luck with the ~$5 glass sold on Amazon? Or any other suggestions for a way to fix it without spending too much?

The replacement of the glass alone will be a complete nightmare due to how the LCD + Digitizer are assembled together.

Here's a little preview of what to expect and the tools you'll need.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 10, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Did Google finally fix Awake reporting in Kit Kat? :pwn:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Laopooh posted:

You are much better off selling the s4 as is on eBay and buying another one. I bet you can dump it and buy a used working for only $100 difference. Much easier than trying to fix it or paying for it to be repaired. Replacing just the glass is difficult with the proper heat gun and temperature sensor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You are much better off selling the s4 as is on eBay and buying another one. I bet you can dump it and buy a used working for only $100 difference. Much easier than trying to fix it or paying for it to be repaired. Replacing just the glass is difficult with the proper heat gun and temperature sensor.

Plus you might get a fake part made with glass which will shatter into sharp bits next time he drops it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Nope. Borrowed a friend moms upgrade and got it free. Stoked

Haha, this is some high level "take a family member's upgrade" technique.

• Locked thread