Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So how are all of you guys liking your Nexus 5s?

I'm still stuck between getting the S4, note 3, and the nexus 5.

I like the power of the Nexus 5 and Note 3 but I can't find a way to get the 32gb Nexus 5 for sprint.

The note 3 is kinda too big for my pocket, but has the samsung dedicated space for buttons that I really like.

The s4 is nice but slower than the top two models.

Is the lack of expandable space on the 16gb Nexus 5 going to be a huge problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Philosopher King posted:

I like the power of the Nexus 5 and Note 3 but I can't find a way to get the 32gb Nexus 5 for sprint.

If you need one right now, your best bet is to keep searching local spring stores. If you can wait 2-3 weeks, buy it from the Play Store.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

Not if you get the 32gig version.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Philosopher King posted:

The note 3 is kinda too big for my pocket, but has the samsung dedicated space for buttons that I really like.

Don't worry about the speed difference, it won't be appreciable in real-world use. Realistically (unless you hate TouchWiz), those are all 3 good choices. Well, the Note 3 is harder to generally recommend because it's just so drat big, but the S4/N5 are both great phones. They both have flaws but nothing major, you'll be happy with either.

waffle fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 10, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Philosopher King posted:

I'm liking it so far, although I requested a replacement because I'm pretty sure there's a bit of dust/something underneath the glass.

My only gripe so far is with SMS in Hangouts. I was able to import my SMS from my Nexus 4 using SMS Backup & Restore but because I had unlimited messages set on messenger before, some of the threads are huge and cause Hangouts to lag. I've been trying to figure out a way to archive part of the messages for the huge threads but keep all of the old ones available should I ever need them.

Also when I archive an SMS thread it doesn't show up anywhere besides my phone, unlike conversations which I believe appear in Gmail.

e: another thing is that Hangouts doesn't have a popup when you receive a message, nor does it have quick reply (but neither did stock messenger).

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 10, 2013

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My N5 was a huge upgrade from an HTC Inspire with 2.3. I really like it- no lag at all, task switching is superb, screen is very pretty, battery is sufficient, and camera is nice. Battery and camera are points of concern for some, but both of those are streets ahead of an older generation phone.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My mom asked me to recommend her a new phone (she's currently using a Droid Incredible 2). I was thinking of telling her to get either a moto x or a droid maxx. Which would you guys suggest?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Super Dude posted:

My mom asked me to recommend her a new phone (she's currently using a Droid Incredible 2). I was thinking of telling her to get either a moto x or a droid maxx. Which would you guys suggest?

For mom's, iPhone.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

SB35 posted:

For mom's, iPhone.

She's been using android for years on her phone and tablet, she has no problems with it. It would probably be harder for her to learn how to use a new os at this point.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Super Dude posted:

She's been using android for years on her phone and tablet, she has no problems with it. It would probably be harder for her to learn how to use a new os at this point.

The defacto recommendation for these cases is Moto X. The Maxx is awesome if she has a ton of problems with battery life, but really the Moto X is almost always recommended over it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Stupid question. If I buy an unopened, NIB nexus 5 off swappa and there's a problem with it unrelated to the original owner, would I still be able to RMA it or would I be poo poo out of luck?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mfaley posted:

The defacto recommendation for these cases is Moto X. The Maxx is awesome if she has a ton of problems with battery life, but really the Moto X is almost always recommended over it.

Why? I was planning on grabbing the maxx for myself, but now I'm not sure.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does the Nexus 5 not come with a file manager app? I just started using mine and I don't see anything in the apps list.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cicero posted:

Does the Nexus 5 not come with a file manager app? I just started using mine and I don't see anything in the apps list.

It does not. Under normal Android conditions, you don't really need one.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I just upgraded from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 :allears: this thing is fantastic already, but the space limitation is pretty bad (on sprint, ended up with the 16 gig version).

Although I'm sure I'll manage, I never went over 20 gigs on my gnex and I had every SNES rom ever on that device plus a bunch of android games I never played.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Do Android phones still pretty much all have lovely DACs? Is one brand better known for sound quality than others (lol beats audio)?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Do Android phones still pretty much all have lovely DACs? Is one brand better known for sound quality than others (lol beats audio)?
Depends. If you're getting a phone with a recent Qualcomm chipset, it'll come with a WCD93xx DAC on the SoC. And that DAC has a pretty good reputation.

Also, Beats Audio is just a bunch of EQ settings.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Finally got a friend of mine in the UK to order a 32gb Nexus 5 for me off of Google Play. It's going to be a rather long wait, but definitely worth it, seeing as it costs less than a 16gb locally (hooray for inflated Scandinavian prices). Can't remember the last time I felt this eager and impatient waiting on a new phone. :derp:

e: question best suited for the App thread

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 10, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

RE: DACchat—
The Nexus 5 has the hardware for low-power audio transmission, prized for lower distortion rates and better signal for low-impedance headphones.

However, it's honestly to the point at which improvement over the mean is really not discernible for human ears anyways, so don't expend too much effort sussing out the best DAC.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Super Dude posted:

I'd totally recommend the Moto X. It's a bit smaller and more comfortable generally unless her hands are very large. The on screen buttons are really nice. It's an excellent choice - I'd recommend it to my mother over any other phone available.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

WugLyfe posted:

RE: DACchat—
The Nexus 5 has the hardware for low-power audio transmission, prized for lower distortion rates and better signal for low-impedance headphones.

However, it's honestly to the point at which improvement over the mean is really not discernible for human ears anyways, so don't expend too much effort sussing out the best DAC.

All I know is my 2011 HTC EVO Shift sounds like poo poo compared to my 2007 iPod Nano. If it's really indiscernible now then great, that's what I wanted to know. Not trying to get all audiophile in here or anything.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

All I know is my 2011 HTC EVO Shift sounds like poo poo compared to my 2007 iPod Nano. If it's really indiscernible now then great, that's what I wanted to know. Not trying to get all audiophile in here or anything.

Oh, it was a legitimate concern for a long time. Sometimes it's your headphones, sometimes it's the software, sometimes it's just a stupid build quality thing. Most modern phones now are really good with that sort of thing, and the possible problems are more software-related than anything save for a few bargain bin chips.

Best to just look at the specs of your phone and headphones to see if they match up well.

(impedance/load, etc.)

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Is the Nexus 5 at all worth switching to Sprint for? I have Verizon and a GNex currently and my contract is finally up, but I'm not sure if the Nexus is all that better than the Droid Maxx, G2, etc. for me to give up Unlimited and deal with Sprint (who's so-so around my parts) Basically help me IYG I'm bad at making phone decisions :ohdear:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a reason you want to be on Sprint? It seems like T-Mobile is probably a better all-around provider, particularly when you bring your own device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tahm Bwady posted:

Is the Nexus 5 at all worth switching to Sprint for? I have Verizon and a GNex currently and my contract is finally up, but I'm not sure if the Nexus is all that better than the Droid Maxx, G2, etc. for me to give up Unlimited and deal with Sprint (who's so-so around my parts) Basically help me IYG I'm bad at making phone decisions :ohdear:
Sprint is great if you want poo poo coverage, shittier speeds, and horrible devices. The only reason anyone uses Sprint is due to a combination of poverty and ignorance.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Tahm Bwady posted:

I switched to T-Mobile for it, pretty happy thus far coverage is good in my area and speeds have been great. Completely depends on your location though.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

LastInLine posted:

Sprint is great if you want poo poo coverage, shittier speeds, and horrible devices. The only reason anyone uses Sprint is due to a combination of poverty and ignorance.

and legacy SERO accounts.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Super Dude posted:

Why? I was planning on grabbing the maxx for myself, but now I'm not sure.

I'd direct you to every review of the Maxx and Moto X on the internet because they are a lot more comprehensive than I can hope to be (here is The Verge's Maxx and Moto X reviews) -- but in summary, the Moto X is essentially the iPhone of Android phones. Meaning, it's not going to blow your hair back with bleeding-edge tech, but it's super well-rounded (excellent form factor, good battery life, neat exclusive features like peek-notifications and extended voice controls) and just perfect for someone who doesn't need super nerd-specs but just wants a fantastic Android experience.

The Maxx is just another Verizon Droid device -- not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd just weigh in your own mind how much you value battery life.

Also worth taking into account the Maxx is $200 more than the Moto X on Verizon.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

echo465 posted:

and legacy SERO accounts.

But at this point sticking with Sprint for SERO is like enduring $20/month AOL dialup because $50/month from Comcast is too much.

mfaley posted:

I'd direct you to every review of the Maxx and Moto X on the internet because they are a lot more comprehensive than I can hope to be (here is The Verge's Maxx and Moto X reviews) -- but in summary, the Moto X is essentially the iPhone of Android phones. Meaning, it's not going to blow your hair back with bleeding-edge tech, but it's super well-rounded (excellent form factor, good battery life, neat exclusive features like peek-notifications and extended voice controls) and just perfect for someone who doesn't need super nerd-specs but just wants a fantastic Android experience.

The Maxx is just another Verizon Droid device -- not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd just weigh in your own mind how much you value battery life.

Also worth taking into account the Maxx is $200 more than the Moto X on Verizon.
Aside from the screen size, the battery size, and wireless charging capability, the Maxx and the X are absolutely identical in every other regard. Same guts, same camera, same software.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mfaley posted:

I know you were in involved in the X so it's a bit of a pride point for you, but this is a bit misleading.

The MAXX is literally an X with a larger screen, more storage, and bigger battery with slightly different branding.

If size is a concern, buy the X, if battery life is more important, buy the MAXX.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Mr. Powers posted:

Is there a reason you want to be on Sprint? It seems like T-Mobile is probably a better all-around provider, particularly when you bring your own device.

I have no idea honestly. I completely overlooked T-Mobile. Checking their coverage maps makes it look like my house only gets 3G despite living on the outskirts of a medium sized city

LastInLine posted:

I've noticed. Why couldn't Verizon just play nice with Google when the GNex dropped :( How is the LG G2 compared to everything else? (disregarding Doctor rear end in a top hat's strong opinion on the phone)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Tahm Bwady posted:

I have no idea honestly. I completely overlooked T-Mobile. Checking their coverage maps makes it look like my house only gets 3G despite living on the outskirts of a medium sized city

Also GSM "3G" is going to be 42mbps (really like 10) where Verizon is like 1.5. That's why Sprint and Verizon really need LTE where AT&T and T-Mobile aren't really pushing it. If you get good T-Mobile service it will be miles above Sprint.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Add "massive corporate discounts" to that list.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WugLyfe posted:

Actually that's true.

gariig posted:

Also GSM "3G" is going to be 42mbps (really like 10) where Verizon is like 1.5. That's why Sprint and Verizon really need LTE where AT&T and T-Mobile aren't really pushing it. If you get good T-Mobile service it will be miles above Sprint.
This is true but he'd be coming from Verizon LTE so really everything is a step down in coverage area and network speed.

If I were stuck on Verizon I guess the Motorola devices are as good as it gets.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Tahm Bwady posted:

I've noticed. Why couldn't Verizon just play nice with Google when the GNex dropped :( How is the LG G2 compared to everything else? (disregarding Doctor rear end in a top hat's strong opinion on the phone)

The LG G2 is a great device in all regards, great display, battery, etc. I recommended it to 3 people at work, and they've all been very happy with it after buying. The only LG specific software thing I use is the doubletap to unlock, which is a useful function that works.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

WugLyfe posted:

So massive that even with still getting the Jose discount of 25%, I'm still paying more than something like T-Mo would give me with my actual employers 12%, or insurance' 15%.

Or paying the same as AIO, which gets ATT coverage and speed, that while capped, are about 20x faster than I've ever gotten with any sprint phone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, this is some high level "take a family member's upgrade" technique.

Haha nah. She was setting up some new lines and mom was going to burn subsidy on a flip phone. So Im giving her a RAZR maxx I had laying around instead. She's a simple lady who just wants to talk and text buy we want her to internet a little.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Has anyone had problems using MTP with ART? The Android File Transfer app can't connect on OSX :/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mr. stefan posted:

Stupid question. If I buy an unopened, NIB nexus 5 off swappa and there's a problem with it unrelated to the original owner, would I still be able to RMA it or would I be poo poo out of luck?

Yes. You can still RMA it. If possible ask the guy for a copy of the receipt just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Philosopher King posted:

Liking my N5 so far. Speakerphone could be a lot louder. I was considering the HTC One because of the Boomsound.
Getting through the day with the battery so far, with light to medium usage. I just use navigation once in a while, texting, I don't play games. Phone is unbelievably fast.

• Locked thread