Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Okay, I was told that they can't give any sort of reimbursement or anything, but that I should return the Nexus 6 I already have, then re-buy it on the site with the discount. I told them that it's out of stock on the site and they said to buy it next week when it (direct quote) "might be back in stock".

So that's a bummer. If the stupid Moto X had Qi charging I'd buy that in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Bought a Z3 last week and love it. I can't stop getting it wet any chance I get and taking it out in the rain. :unsmith:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Surprise! The $2 magnetic charging cables I bought on ebay for my Z3 Compact charge the phone at a blistering 10% per hour.

Has anyone found a magnetic cable or adapter that they like for this phone? This one reportedly has the strongest magnet, but some people swear it's terrible.

I thought about getting a Sony dock as well, but I have a case on mine and have no idea how it'll all fit together.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
So my first full day with the N6, and I am quite happy with the battery. 15 hours uptime, 3 hours of screen time, and 9+ of the hours were at my work where I get atrocious cell signal and no WiFi (would be at <10% battery on my N5 just at the end of my work day).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got my Nexus 6 today too, it's loving huge but I really like it so far. Screen is really nice, speakers are awesome, easily the loudest phone I've ever owned. Battery seems fine, Nexus 5 is a bad comparison though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I need a cheapish smartphone. Last year's moto x or this year's moto g?

Moto X by a mile

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I get the impression that conventional wisdom still holds up the iPhone's as the best overall mobile device camera (excluding windows phones), and it's color reproduction, panorama function, and speed are really top-notch. But while I know that megapixels don't count for as much as some phone manufacturers would have you believe, it seems that with all the 13+ MP android phones out now there would be one or two that have managed to match or exceed the iPhone camera's strengths while also having the baked-in benefit of greater image resolution, which a larger sensor affords.

I'm considering getting an android device soon, and I'd like to know if there is anyone here who has experience with both the newer iPhone cameras and newer high-end android cameras. Right now I'm leaning toward the Z3(C), and it would be awesome if anyone here can give a good account of its camera performance compared to the Note 4 and/or G3 (or any other flagship android camera). Sony's Xperia Z series cameras seem very highly regarded among reviewers, but when I check out the side-by-side photo comparisons of the Z1 and Z2 on gsmarena, the images look washed-out and over-processed compared to just about any other flagship's.

I'd just get the Note 4 and be done with it, but I just don't want a Samsung phone for some irrational reason.

I'm a long time iPhone person who wants to give android a shot, and while the simple novelty of an alternative mobile OS is one of the reasons I'm considering the switch, camera quality is really the overriding issue for me.

TLDR: is there a camera on an android device out right now that completely blows the iPhone 6's out of the water? Besides the Note 4 & Galaxy S5?

I had both an iPhone 5s and an Xperia Z3 compact for a while. Right now I'm on an iPhone 6. The superior auto mode on the Sony took great pictures most of the time, but it also over exposed pictures quite frequently. Colors also looked washed out quite often. While I'm sure you can take great pictures if you tinker around with ISO settings and what not in manual mode I just need a reliable auto mode like the one on the iPhone.

I actually liked the camera on the Nexus 5 more than the one on the Xperia. If you use the hdr+ mode it takes a second to take a picture but the exposure and colors look great.

Haven't owned a Samsung phone in years so I can't say anything about that.

Edit: I'll post some pics I took with the Z3 when I get home from work.

bronin fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nevermind

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Z3C camera is exactly as bronin describes. Generally I'm happy with the results, but it isn't always great. The main advantage it has is the dedicated shutter button, though - I love it and I probably take far more (and better) pictures due to its convenience. I'd be very hesitant to get a phone without one now.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Has anyone else experienced a lot of lag on the 1st gen Moto X? Mine started to lag a lot lately, taking several seconds to unlock or to register button presses... Quite jarring for me, especially since my last phone was a Windows Phone and buttery smooth. Tried rebooting and freeing up storage space, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

Has anyone else experienced a lot of lag on the 1st gen Moto X? Mine started to lag a lot lately, taking several seconds to unlock or to register button presses... Quite jarring for me, especially since my last phone was a Windows Phone and buttery smooth. Tried rebooting and freeing up storage space, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

I just replaced my 1st gen Moto X, a lot of the reason being because it was doing this very thing as well. I wouldn't say it was several seconds tho, but there were still noticeable delays. I just passed it off as the hardware having trouble keeping up with all of the software updates or something. I have no idea.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only noticed my Moto X being slow when I used Google Maps. With my 2014 model Maps is way faster.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
There's a dedicated shutter button on the Xperia?

:psyduck:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Holy poo poo taking a shower selfie right now

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
You own it and you didn't notice??

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

bronin posted:

I had both an iPhone 5s and an Xperia Z3 compact for a while. Right now I'm on an iPhone 6. The superior auto mode on the Sony took great pictures most of the time, but it also over exposed pictures quite frequently. Colors also looked washed out quite often. While I'm sure you can take great pictures if you tinker around with ISO settings and what not in manual mode I just need a reliable auto mode like the one on the iPhone.

I actually liked the camera on the Nexus 5 more than the one on the Xperia. If you use the hdr+ mode it takes a second to take a picture but the exposure and colors look great.

Haven't owned a Samsung phone in years so I can't say anything about that.

Edit: I'll post some pics I took with the Z3 when I get home from work.

That's sort of what I figured, but I take enough photos using manual settings that it might be worth it for me anyway. I'd be interested in seeing whatever photos you post.

And gsmarena's photo comparison tool has the z3 now. I just looked and its photo quality is miles ahead of the z2, comparable to the iPhone in color range, and a good deal sharper even at 8MP. (Based on the images in that tool, the z2 has some of the worst image quality of any phone camera I've ever seen; its 20MP images look like they were taken with my old lumia 635's 5MP sensor, or shot with a used KFC napkin stuck over the lens. I guess it's all down to the processing.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So the Titanium Backup wifi profiles whatever thing seems to have worked! Wifi was still connected this morning. Reddit can be useful after all, it seems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

So the Titanium Backup wifi profiles whatever thing seems to have worked! Wifi was still connected this morning. Reddit can be useful after all, it seems.
Again, thanks for this. Did you post to the Google bugtracker what the cause and solution was?

Also, if you haven't you should contact Titanium and tell them about the issue. They might not be aware.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That's sort of what I figured, but I take enough photos using manual settings that it might be worth it for me anyway. I'd be interested in seeing whatever photos you post.

And gsmarena's photo comparison tool has the z3 now. I just looked and its photo quality is miles ahead of the z2, comparable to the iPhone in color range, and a good deal sharper even at 8MP. (Based on the images in that tool, the z2 has some of the worst image quality of any phone camera I've ever seen; its 20MP images look like they were taken with my old lumia 635's 5MP sensor, or shot with a used KFC napkin stuck over the lens. I guess it's all down to the processing.)

A ∆C00 saturation error of 3.18 and an overall saturation of 113% :q:

The Z3 camera is pretty boss, but isn't exactly for everyone. It has some interesting modules you can add in as camera modes like livestream to youtube, 4k video, a really creepy augmented reality thingo, etc.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I haven't been entirely following this conversation but as we saying that the WiFi problems that lots of people are apparently seeing are actually being caused by Titanium Backup?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

I haven't been entirely following this conversation but as we saying that the WiFi problems that lots of people are apparently seeing are actually being caused by Titanium Backup?

It would seem so. There are two Wifi Profile apps (with TiBu icons) that you need to exclude from the backup. I think when those get backed up, the wifi has to shut off temporarily or something? I'm not really clear on the details.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Yes. Looks like backing up of the wifi profiles cause all remembered APs to show "Authentication problem" the next time they're seen. Going into the wifi settings and tapping Connect will make that AP work until the next time the backup is made.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Hah, should've listened to the rooted thread title :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

TLDR: is there a camera on an android device out right now that completely blows the iPhone 6's out of the water? Besides the Note 4 & Galaxy S5?

Unfortunately, just the S5 and Note 4. The Z3 camera is supposed to be good, but nothing out there is better than the Note 4's camera atm.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chikimiki posted:

What's going on in the background. My 2013 X will occasionally stutter when downloading/updating apps. I ended up getting rid of a couple apps that were huge and updated often (PvZ 2 for example). I swear the phone only updates when I'm using it though.

Mine was blazing fast smooth with no animations when I got it (everything was near instant) over time it's gotten slower and I put animations back on and now it feels just as fast even though I know most things have slowed down by a second or two.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yes. Looks like backing up of the wifi profiles cause all remembered APs to show "Authentication problem" the next time they're seen. Going into the wifi settings and tapping Connect will make that AP work until the next time the backup is made.
Obviously this sucks for the people that it affected here but at the same time this is also absolutely wonderful because of all of the self-entitled whining over on G+ I've had to read about how Google can't even make Wi-Fi work properly and how Lollipop is a disaster.

You know I'm still a root-my-phone guy but the XDA generation really are dreadful.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
anyone know how to get rid of the searching for location or location found notification that is constantly present? I'm on a turbo if that helps

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm sure google is thrilled to have all the reports about WiFi not working coming from rooted people.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's the word on Lollipop notifications and silent mode? Is the internet making enough noise that they're promising some changes down the line? I'm really having trouble making friends with this, it's great in the things it does right, but the amount of faff to do basic stuff is infuriating. I especially love hangouts notifications constantly popping up all over a fullscreen video I'm trying to watch. Can't wait til other apps get on that API!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

I'm sure google is thrilled to have all the reports about WiFi not working coming from rooted people.

Well, I at least gave the TiBu guys a heads-up about it. Of course, I wouldn't have been able to find the solution without the Google bug forum.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

What's the word on Lollipop notifications and silent mode? Is the internet making enough noise that they're promising some changes down the line? I'm really having trouble making friends with this, it's great in the things it does right, but the amount of faff to do basic stuff is infuriating. I especially love hangouts notifications constantly popping up all over a fullscreen video I'm trying to watch. Can't wait til other apps get on that API!

Yeah, I think those kind of on screen notification pop ups are the only thing I don't like about Lollipop. Hopefully those can be disabled in the future.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I think those kind of on screen notification pop ups are the only thing I don't like about Lollipop. Hopefully those can be disabled in the future.

I like them when I'm doing general stuff, so personally I don't want to disable them entirely - but having them all over a video is obnoxious. I was showing someone the screen casting ability and then I get all these hangouts messages popping up all over the TV for the world to see, constantly swiping them away only to have another one pop up. loving hell

The lack of easy access to silent mode is almost as bad, seeing as you have to interrupt what you're doing to go mess around with volume and notification settings on some other screen instead of pressing the power button. It's a pointless step backwards, and it's a shame because the rest of Lollipop is pretty drat slick. I'm just hoping there's enough noise that they'll fix it

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Chikimiki posted:

I said come in! posted:

I just replaced my 1st gen Moto X, a lot of the reason being because it was doing this very thing as well. I wouldn't say it was several seconds tho, but there were still noticeable delays. I just passed it off as the hardware having trouble keeping up with all of the software updates or something. I have no idea.

If the phone previously was fast and suddenly started being slow the chances are that it is a software problem rather than a hardware one. I had this issue with my Moto G for the last few months where battery life sucked and everything was super laggy. I finally uninstalled a few apps I never use and a couple widgets that I did and things improved immediately and dramatically. In my case I got rid of UCCW (Ultimate Custom Widgets), which I highly suspect was my issue. I also don't get launcher redraws constantly, but that may be related to updating Nova Launcher.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Ok, here are the promised pictures I took with an Xperia Z3 Compact: http://imgur.com/a/Qw8vE

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I managed to get my hands on a demo N6, luckily my nearby store was pretty large. I'm really not that impressed, it felt kinda plasticky and the screen didn't look as nice as the Note 4. But it's larger (which is fine) and it's ~~*stock*~~ which is nice because I get updates.

Basically, it's loving difficult to choose between the two. At this point when I finally make a decision a N6-2 and the Note 5 will be out. gently caress.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I got a software update for my Vodafone UK Sony Xperia Z3 Compact today - 23.0.1.A.5.79. It's fixed the disappearing alarm bug, if anyone is interested.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bronin posted:

Ok, here are the promised pictures I took with an Xperia Z3 Compact: http://imgur.com/a/Qw8vE

Welp.

:stonk:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
And to think I almost upgraded to the z3c from my n5 solely for the (what i thought was supposed to be badass) camera. How pissed I would have been...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phone camera photos from a phone camera what a surprise. My friend's iPhone 6 is just as capable of taking a bad photo in not-perfect lighting conditions as whatever else. At this point I'm really not sure what people are expecting. DSLR quality post-processed images?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ijyt posted:

Phone camera photos from a phone camera what a surprise. My friend's iPhone 6 is just as capable of taking a bad photo in not-perfect lighting conditions as whatever else. At this point I'm really not sure what people are expecting. DSLR quality post-processed images?
After a year using a Moto X 2013 with its allegedly terrible camera, I can only conclude that people's expectations of phone cameras are completely detached from reality.

• Locked thread