Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
iphone quality is what people are expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

GWBBQ posted:

After a year using a Moto X 2013 with its allegedly terrible camera, I can only conclude that people's expectations of phone cameras are completely detached from reality.

I don't know about detached from reality but if you've ever used an iphone 5 and above or any of the 900-1000-1500 series nokia lumia phones, they take very fast, sharp, well colored shots. The droid turbo I have takes great photos but I'd put them on par with the Lumia 928 I had a year ago that came out a year and a half ago and on par with an iphone 5.

Motorola specific but the camera interface is loving terrible. Googles is at least somewhat acceptable.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My camera could take cave painting quality photos and I probably wouldn't notice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

My camera could take cave painting quality photos and I probably wouldn't notice.

This is me. As long as I can pretty much make out what the hell's in the picture, I don't need museum-quality detail and lighting.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It seems like we never have much to talk about because we're just going to jump back into long winded phone camera conversations. Which will then move into SD cards.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

XIII posted:

Same. Those Z3C photos look great to me. Same as my 2013 Moto X.

Skeezy posted:

It seems like we never have much to talk about because we're just going to jump back into long winded phone camera conversations. Which will then move into SD cards.

There would be two posts/month in IYG if we didn't rehash conversations over and over and I wouldn't have anything to mod.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 18, 2014

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Skeezy posted:

Just to stir the pot, why do we even still call them phones? Making and receiving phone calls hasn't been their primary purpose for most people in a long time. The argument of "what do you expect from a camera on a phooooone" could be applied to literally every problem we bitch about on our "phones" in this thread.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^^^ Inspect Your Gadgets › Android PDA's - Phones are for people with friends

Bob A Feet posted:

I don't know about detached from reality but if you've ever used an iphone 5 and above or any of the 900-1000-1500 series nokia lumia phones, they take very fast, sharp, well colored shots. The droid turbo I have takes great photos but I'd put them on par with the Lumia 928 I had a year ago that came out a year and a half ago and on par with an iphone 5.

Motorola specific but the camera interface is loving terrible. Googles is at least somewhat acceptable.

I own a Nokia 920 (work phone) and I don't think it would do any better than those Z3C shots. Possibly worse, actually.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKVRVX4q-k

This thread basically.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I finally got my Droid Turbo. First smart phone ever. What are the cool features that I should be taking advantage of?

EDIT: vvv Lol, I meant more like voice commands and what not, this has the Moto features that are supposed to be pretty good, I think.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 19, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

So I finally got my Droid Turbo. First smart phone ever. What are the cool features that I should be taking advantage of?
Playing video games while you poop.

That's about it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Making phone calls, obviously.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
My nexus 6 got 5.0.1 today. It's so...up to date!! I feel better.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

-Blackadder- posted:

Droiding and Turboing.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

-Blackadder- posted:

EDIT: vvv Lol, I meant more like voice commands and what not, this has the Moto features that are supposed to be pretty good, I think.

Get Unified Remote and control your computer from the couch. It sounds so simple, but it's the one thing that's made me sit back and think "goddamn, we're living in the future".

Video calling and navigation are pretty cool too I guess.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

cuedotcom posted:

My nexus 6 got 5.0.1 today. It's so...up to date!! I feel better.
I fastboot flashed that poo poo as soon as the image was released :c00l:

This being my first Nexus, I was pretty excited. I'm not used to updates that don't take months to get.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
For those of you who were or are getting awful home screen redrawing. I side loaded lollipop without doing a wipe and had awful screen redraws. Sometimes 1-3 seconds of waiting for the home screen to have icons etc. I did a full system backup with adb and since then, (when I was on 5.0) had no issues, still looks good since upgrading to 5.0.1. Another weird thing was I couldn't get a good backup until I used the USB cable that came with the phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I did have redraw issues after doing a clean flash of 5.0 but haven't seen any in the two days since putting on 5.0.1.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

RVProfootballer posted:

I did have redraw issues after doing a clean flash of 5.0 but haven't seen any in the two days since putting on 5.0.1.

Yeah. I'm at 60 hrs of uptime without a single redraw. Soooooo much better overall.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Hah, should've listened to the rooted thread title :)
I know, right?

I could probably live with ads on the internet but I still need Titanium because almost no games use Google's backup service. With the exception of games, the only thing I'm backing up when moving to a new device is my call log and a handful of apps that are a pain in the dick to configure.

Tunga posted:

You know I'm still a root-my-phone guy but the XDA generation really are dreadful.
Truth.

baka kaba posted:

I'm just hoping there's enough noise that they'll fix it
I laughed out loud at this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I seriously don't know why google doesn't just give every app on every android phone 1-5MB of space on google drive to use for config data and have it automatically pull down when put on a new device.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

I seriously don't know why google doesn't just give every app on every android phone 1-5MB of space on google drive to use for config data and have it automatically pull down when put on a new device.

So you want to maintain, for free, 1000's of TB or data? Alright!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

datajosh posted:

I fastboot flashed that poo poo as soon as the image was released :c00l:

This being my first Nexus, I was pretty excited. I'm not used to updates that don't take months to get.

Was too lazy to side load it. :smugjones:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

:allears:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You mean kind of like how they do already?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

How's device encryption working on CM these days?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Just blew my Christmas budget for myself on a Nexus 6. First impressions are good and it's doing the 5.01 update now.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

bronin posted:

Ok, here are the promised pictures I took with an Xperia Z3 Compact: http://imgur.com/a/Qw8vE

What am I looking at? :ohdear:

My Z3C takes pretty good photos......

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

To be fair, Samsung sets such a low bar that even CyanogenMod can clear it. Also Knox is kind of a sick joke unless you have an S5 or Note 4 or something, so you're using Nine or something anyway.

Doesn't change the fact that CM has less right to talk about Android distributions than, like, uncontacted Sentinelese peoples.

Edit: and Google brought full-device encryption to everyone with 5.0 anyway, so we probably don't need to defend the poor little comically-BIGNUM-faced Korean transnational corporation on our own time.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 19, 2014

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm guessing like the first response it's the loving dead animal

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Every google account already gets what? 15GB? Hell, just pull it from the same pool of free drive data.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So is anyone else having trouble with the new Hangouts update causing it to vibrate for all notifications even though it's set not to?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol, after running CM exclusively since I got my first Android 6 years ago, I kept my Note 4 unrooted specifically because I was loving sick of my phone's OS being constantly broken. The only gripes I even have with the drat thing are basically "can't ad block", "can't titanium backup", "system menu/config tray/notification shade have a suboptimal layout". That poo poo is all super tolerable.

Running any custom rom (even CM) these days feels a bit like installing a bunch of broken rear end shell hacks and themers on modern windows because you want your Win 95 start menu and theme back.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Insane Totoro posted:

I guess it used to be a fox. You could probably still make a hat out of that tail.

Anyway, I tried to put over-exposed, normal and low light shots into that folder to show the capabilities of the Z3. The one with the bee hives is over-exposed for example, don't know what happened there.

On the other hand I really like the colors in the two shots with green grass and mountains. The grass is green, the sky is blue. Nothing to complain there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

So is anyone else having trouble with the new Hangouts update causing it to vibrate for all notifications even though it's set not to?

Yep, pretty sure that's a Hangouts bug.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

No, but I still have this stupid problem with Hangouts where it rotates my photos because it can't read EXIF data properly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Among many other bugs, yes. Yes I am.

bronin posted:

Ok, here are the promised pictures I took with an Xperia Z3 Compact: http://imgur.com/a/Qw8vE

:stare: Huh...

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I just replaced my 1st gen Moto X, a lot of the reason being because it was doing this very thing as well. I wouldn't say it was several seconds tho, but there were still noticeable delays. I just passed it off as the hardware having trouble keeping up with all of the software updates or something. I have no idea.

Yeah but still, shouldn't a phone be useable without lag for more than one year or two OS updates? Especially if it's supposed to be a kind of a flagship :/

Stick100 posted:

What's going on in the background. My 2013 X will occasionally stutter when downloading/updating apps. I ended up getting rid of a couple apps that were huge and updated often (PvZ 2 for example). I swear the phone only updates when I'm using it though.

Mine was blazing fast smooth with no animations when I got it (everything was near instant) over time it's gotten slower and I put animations back on and now it feels just as fast even though I know most things have slowed down by a second or two.

App updates and downloads do slow down the phone a lot, but that's in addition to the overall lag. It's really jarring, especially as it was blazing fast when I got it.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If the phone previously was fast and suddenly started being slow the chances are that it is a software problem rather than a hardware one. I had this issue with my Moto G for the last few months where battery life sucked and everything was super laggy. I finally uninstalled a few apps I never use and a couple widgets that I did and things improved immediately and dramatically. In my case I got rid of UCCW (Ultimate Custom Widgets), which I highly suspect was my issue. I also don't get launcher redraws constantly, but that may be related to updating Nova Launcher.

Could be an app problem indeed, but I wouldn't know which one could cause it... I've used "Usage Timeline Free" to check, but it didn't give me any useful feedback, only that the system processes used a lot of memory :v: Any recommendation for a good cpu load logging app?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm guessing like the first response it's the loving dead animal

Clearly that's the Z3C's vaunted xray vision camera mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

Obviously this sucks for the people that it affected here but at the same time this is also absolutely wonderful because of all of the self-entitled whining over on G+ I've had to read about how Google can't even make Wi-Fi work properly and how Lollipop is a disaster.

You know I'm still a root-my-phone guy but the XDA generation really are dreadful.

As far as I can tell this isn't the Wifi problem that most people have been complaining about. We were saying just after 5.0.1 this problem doesn't seem to have had much attention with hardly any activity on the bug report, and with seemingly not that many people experiencing it you can see why now. It was only even a few of us here for example.

I don't remember what the main issue that got fixed by 5.0.1 was, but the TB problem wasn't it

e: this is the one that got fixed, that most online were taking about :

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=78702

This is our foolish problem

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=81896

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 19, 2014

• Locked thread