Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any powerful <5" phones on the horizon? I'm still using my N4 and it's working fine, but I'd love something with a better camera and more storage space. It's pretty much the perfect size for me and I'm not interested in a bigger 'flagship' phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah CM doesn't seem worth it for a device that already has proper Android, but it's really good for making lovely phones and tablets usable. I've got a lot of mileage out of my Nook HD+ with CM, whereas I would never have bothered keeping it with the stock OS.

LastInLine posted:

Nope. The Nexus 5 is probably your best bet as the camera is pretty good and the shape makes it feel a lot smaller than the Nexus 4 but that's about all for options.
Even the N4 feels a bit clunky so I expect I'll end up buying a crippled miniphone in the near future.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Why does my wife's GS4 mini suddenly switch its screen on in the middle of the night when it's charging and not turn off automatically? I've seen it do this several times at different levels of battery. It drives me mental but of course she doesn't even notice when it happens. Aside from that it seems like a nice, reasonably sized phone for reasonable people who don't walk around with phone holsters and business bandoliers for their 5.9" cyberdecks.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Don't the Sony Z phones have decent cameras? I was playing with my friend's and it seemed pretty decent for a phone camera.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any idea why the Play Store app frequently doesn't update all the apps with updates when you hit "update all"? Just now I had four apps to update and the store did two, I hit the button again and it updated one, and then only updated the last one when I hit the button a third time. This poo poo has been going on for months now for me, but it's more or less impossible to google for a solution.
Maybe something to do with accepting permissions?

Fathis Munk posted:

Since I don't really follow the scene, I just wanted to know if there is any major innovation on the horizon that would mean I should wait before buying a new phone. :ohdear:
I think I'm just going to hold onto my N4 until it breaks or a software update renders it obsolete. I'm mildly intrigued by the moto X+ and the Z3 compact, but I don't expect anything revolutionary from them.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I actually like the look of it and I thought the S2 seemed like a pretty good phone with a decent form factor. Better they emulate that than their newer devices. I know loads of people still using one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The plastic phones I've owned are far more durable than the glass and metal ones I've owned, including iPhones and the Nexus 4. I hope Lenovo makes a Moto Thinkphone with the same materials as a Thinkpad one day.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm on the £7.50 p/m giffgaff deal and I'm ok with it because I don't have a 4G phone.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
At the moment I'd be happy with anything that is better than the lovely N4 camera. Shouldn't be hard.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see what the Moto X successor is like, but the Z3 Compact looks like the perfect phone for me, especially since the Nexus line is going even further toward cargo shortsville.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

LastInLine posted:

No two year old Android is a pleasure to use by any stretch of the imagination.

I will have had my N4 for 2+yrs this November and it's still solid apart from the camera. Granted I don't play many 3d games on it, but for everything else it still runs fine. I'm really impressed by how little the UI experience has suffered - it's aged a lot better than my SGS1 did.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 4, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ewwwww gently caress that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
5.2" is too big for me to want it, but I really like the way they did the promo video - pulling the phone through a physical representation of use cases. More creative than most product intros anyway. At least it looks as though the phone still has a curved back.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rexxed posted:

That's a good point and it makes sense. It doesn't explain the internal inconsistency of G to G2 and X to X, but I guess Motorola is weird. I really hope Lenovo doesn't gut them since I really like their phones so far. I still have bitter memories of Compaq buying DEC and killing it, but Lenovo has continued to make decent Thinkpads after buying IBM's laptop division so I'm hopeful!
I really want a Thinkpad style phone with the same rubberised coating and magnesium frame as the laptops. Don't think it'll ever happen though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Radio Talmudist posted:

How many of you guys buy your Android phones outright, instead of via subsidy? I'm thinking of nabbing the LG G3 via amazon, instead of through AT&T and a contract.

My only fear is that LG will take forever to upgrade to Android L when it comes out.
I always buy my phones now, but I'm in the UK so I think carriers work a bit differently. I can pay £400 for a phone outright and £7.50 a month or pay £30+ p/m on 2yr contract. End up saving quite a bit with the former option. I also dislike having carrier logos on my phones.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 5, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The 'one day' of battery life thing wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't travel as much and could guarantee that I'd have a place to charge the phone every night. At the moment I carry an external usb battery charger for my N4, but it's a hassle and ideally I don't want to continue doing that if I get a new phone. Hopefully the Z3 compact's smaller screen will mitigate its smaller battery.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Radbot posted:

Why is the battery a hassle? A battery pack that would fully recharge an N4 is like $15 and fits in your pocket. It's not convenient for literal on-the-go use but it should suffice for not knowing if you'll have a place to charge at night.

Another thing to carry.
Airport security frowns on battery packs (fortunately the one I have looks like a torch).
Annoying to use the phone when the pack is plugged in.

Mooktastical posted:

'Literal on the-go-use' is the purpose of smartphones?

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 11, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
http://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z3-compact

This seems a bit lower than the RRP but I'd love to read some actual reviews before pre-ordering. I also kinda wanted the green one, although the orange/red one is pretty unusual too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is that site reliable at all for purchases? The RRP of the handset is £500, not £349. Amazon has it for £430 - £349 seems a bit too good to be true.
I've never ordered from them, so I'm not sure at all. Seems like a fairly big, active site, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Maybe when the thing actually comes out it'll be cheaper than what it's listed for on Sony and Amazon.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nev posted:

I don't know if I would call them legit. They sent me a "new" Nexus 4 that had fingerprints all over it. When I started it up I was asked to sign into the @clove.co.uk account of whichever employee had been checking out the phone.
Haha. Did you complain about it?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
OK, the battery life seals it, I'm getting that Sony. I was almost tempted by the customisation of the Moto X, but it's just too big and the battery life seems mediocre. I'm so used to the form factor of the N4 that going larger would be weird. I'll miss completely stock android, but the Sony implementation doesn't seem too bad, especially compared to Touchwiz, which rules the Alpha out completely for me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Z3 Compact is also on preorder at Handtec for £350 - http://www.handtec.co.uk/sony-xperia-z3-compact-16gb-black-1288-5849.html.

Not sure if they have a better rep than Clove or not. Neither of them have the green version, which is what I want to go for, I think. That or the white. The black looks a bit boring without an accent on the edge.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ijyt posted:

The Z3c looks super tempting but after experiencing slow updates thanks to Samsung, I don't want to go back to getting an update for 4.0 when 4.4.4 is considered old (for example).
That is the only thing putting me off for the moment, although it does seem like Sony's record with the Z series is much better than most manufacturers. Someone posted a table to compare them a few pages back, and Sony came out just behind Motorola, I think.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

WhyteRyce posted:

Every phone has some kind of big flaw welcome to Android :(

At least there's a wide choice of flaws.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Z3C is looking better and better. Perfect for traveling with that massive battery, waterproofing, microSD, and decent camera.

Part of me wants to wait and see what the new Nexus is like, but chances are it'll be huge/have bad battery life. MotoX 2014 is out already for the same reasons even though I'd love a bamboo one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just preordered a UK one unlocked. Think the release date is monday? I'll be sad to move on from stock android, but my N4's camera and battery life isn't nearly good enough.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
£350 is pretty cheap for a good phone here. Bear in mind that's a lower pre-order price. The RRP is like £450.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Insane Totoro posted:

This is a weird concept to us Americans.
The difference in pre-order price to release price? I haven't seen it often here, either.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Battery life is somewhat intangible from a selling pov. Or least, less so than a honkin' huge screen and whatever other guff features a sales rep can chunter on about. It's good enough for them to say "yeah it'll last a whole day.". It's tough to sell a phone on amazing battery life even if it is an important issue for most people.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

this_is_hard posted:

Moto Droid Turbo/Quark/whatever pics leaked:

https://plus.google.com/117938278607892985066/posts/C5GybRfWxDU

Pretty ugly, capacitive buttons. The Maxx was hideous too though
Ew.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I read that the screen tech they're using is a bit more frugal (at the expense of being less colour accurate?). The Z3C has the advantage of its smaller screen, too. Apparently preorders will ship this week, so I'll hopefully have mine soon. I'll be very happy if it has more than 7hrs of screen-on time, nevermind 10.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Z3C is what I'd recommend someone coming from iphone*, although it has plastic sides (I think they look better than the metal sides of the Z3) and I don't know what its availability is in the US (nor do I understand the carrier system).

A review.

*Small, well made according to the reviews I've read, fast, good camera, good battery life, closer to stock android than most competitors.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just received mine. Got it for the £350 price from Handtec. It's a really nice looking/feeling phone. It makes my N4 look clunky in comparison. Haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, but I'll give my impressions in here later since a few people seem interested in the phone.

bronin posted:

I hope my Amazon.de pre-order will also see such a change. Right now it's still at 499€. 350-400€ would be a steal.
Might be worth cancelling and seeing if you can get it from Clove/Handtec? I'm pretty sure they deliver internationally. The time it takes to arrive/shipping costs might offset the savings though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Oh, dang. Just a warning to Z3C buyers - it takes a nano-sim, which I'd never even heard of before 5 minutes ago.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TraderStav posted:

No big deal, pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/QQ-Tech-Cutte...nano+sim+cutter and you'll be all set.
I've just ordered a new sim from my provider - they have a facility for transferring the number to the new one. Should arrive tomorrow, hopefully.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Z3C impressions:

Good:
Looks nice. Seems solid. I got the orange/red (cinnabar??) one and the colour is eyecatching. I know it won't be to everyone's taste, but I was tired of having black and silver phones.
It feels nicer in the hand than my old N4.
Seems really fast although I haven't played any games or anything on it yet.
The camera is a lot better than the N4's (doesn't take much) and I really like the shutter button.
The screen is vivid and I'm not too hung up on colour accuracy, so I can't comment on that. Obviously it isn't incredibly sharp like a full HD one - it's about right for the physical screen size, in my opinion.
I've been playing with it for the last 3hrs or so, installing apps, upgrading android, changing themes, taking pictures, syncing data. The battery is at 90%.
It actually fits in my pocket and I don't need a 'business holster', handbag, or nerdshorts to carry it around.

OK:
The Sony customisations aren't too annoying. I like being able to add widgets to the homescreens with a long press rather than going into the app drawer. It comes with a few proprietary Sony things that I'd like to get rid of. The gallery app seems quite cool, however, and I expect the Walkman one will function well enough until I decide on a music player.
I briefly missed the stock android power toggle widget, then I found a free alternative that looks very similar.
The notification light is much smaller than the N4's, which is a bit of a shame. At least it has one, though.

Bad:
Nothing so far, although I expect I'll get a wee bit tired of opening the flap to charge the thing.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 26, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TraderStav posted:

Really on fence between the Z3 and the Z3c. I'm interested in getting a bigger screen size now but wanted to know if the Z3 had extra features of specifications I should be concerned with. What does it have that the Z3c doesn't? Vice versa?

I like the compactness of the z3c and that it's cheaper but the extra screen real estate might be nice to have as well!

Aside from the screen and battery size, I think the only differences are:
3gb of RAM instead of 2gb.
Metal frame instead of plastic. The plastic frame is actually pretty cool looking though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mister Fister posted:

Are you using it on AT&T or an AT&T MVNO? Just wondering if it's missing any bands.
Afraid I can't answer that because I'm in Scotland.
:scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My Z3C just ran out of battery. Last time I charged it was noon on Friday, so I've had over 2 days use out of it. Screen on time was 7hrs, which seems low compared to the benchmarks on review sites, but I've updated* and installed tonnes of apps, tried out various lovely Xperia themes, taken and uploaded about 50+ pictures (and a couple of videos), listened to hours of music via Spotify (including on the speakers), and played some games in that time. I expect I'd still have 30% or so left using the phone normally. I think this will be perfect for traveling, especially with the waterproofing etc.

It does come with some Xperia junk, but it is easy to ignore. I was worried about moving from stock Android and, in truth, I don't have much to complain about apart from cosmetic stuff, like how the clock icon looks. I also miss the newer Android time-picker. That's about it. The rest of the added stuff is either inoffensive or potentially useful, like the Stamina modes.

The camera is also pretty decent, although I haven't used any of the newer flagship cameras to compare it. It's definitely the fastest one I've used in a smartphone and the shutter button is pretty convenient.

*KitKat is installed, but not the latest 'material' version of Chrome and most of the other Google apps needed an update, too.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread