Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Mediaserver kept my Nexus 5 awake for 10 hours. Surprised it didn't drain the battery more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So no one else's Nexus 5 is reporting 100% awake? I posted a screenshot earlier. It either says Exchange Services or Mediaserver is keeping the phone awake all of the time. But the battery drain I'm seeing doesn't seem as bad as you would expect 100% awake to be, in fact it's quite good more often than not.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So the cause of Mediaserver keeping my Nexus 5 awake all of the time was Scramble with Friends. Thanks Zynga.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Android doesn't pop up the captive portal automatically, regardless of the app you're in? That's surprising.

There's a notification that will pop up that says "Sign into Wifi" or something and tapping it opens the portal page.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

No, Touchdown is its own little sandbox.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's a pretty big drawback for a phone.

Not if you're a goon.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have one of the new Nexus wireless chargers and have never had a wireless charger before. It's awesome and works fine, but I'm wondering how much less effective it is with a case on the phone? I have the Diztronic one for my Nexus 5. Anyone have any experiences with this? I really don't want to stop using a case, as the protruding camera lens glass thing makes me nervous to place on a desk or something with no case.

I'm pretty sure it will either charge or not charge. It's not going to be slower with a case.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Even after 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5 I still have a problem with every audio application keeping the audio thread active after it closes.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Wow the buttons of the official "bumper" case for the Nexus 5 are horrible. There's no clickyness or give to them. You just put pressure on them and hope the press registers.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

caveman thug poo poo posted:

The bumper for the Maxx is the same. I ended up returning it and using the difference towards an Otterbox Commuter which I sorta love.

I already had a Spigen case, but it felt too big, and it slid around on the magnetic car mount I have. The official case is much thinner.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

251 pages in that thread. :sigh:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey, I was really looking close at the Moto G (due to the fact that it's super cheap) and I was wondering if anybody here has the phone or knows anybody with it. I'm trying to figure out whether I'd be ok with ditching 4G if I got off of Sprint's horrific network, and I'm almost always on wifi anyway. I just didn't know if there were any goons that could give me a point in the right direction as far as this phone is concerned.

I just recently switched from Sprint, who has LTE where I'm at, to T-mobile. I have a Nexus 5, but I bought my mom a Moto G. I would take T-mo HSDPA+ over Sprint LTE any day. However unless you are seriously strapped for cash I would say it's still worth spending a little more and getting a Nexus 5.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Am I crazy or is there a bug in the Nexus 5 launcher where when an app updates it will disappear from your homescreen? It doesn't happen every time or for every app, but holy poo poo it drives me bonkers when I go to open Pocketcasts and it's not in the folder it should be. I may have to switch to a different launcher because of this.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

You need to call Sprint to activate Nexus 5 and will need a Sprint SIM.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It's still useless because it thinks I am cycling for 2 hours a month when I don't own a bike.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The eMMC on a device is not the same as an SD card. You can't compare the prices.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Vic clearly never saw Dude Where's my Car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNX6dieVcc

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Neither is the one on the M8

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

binarysmurf posted:

Also, Anandtech's review suggested that the M8 camera is excellent for the 90% of users who simply take a pic, edit on the phone and upload to social media. Despite my best intentions, that's basically been my usage over the last two years. :)

Guess what, the Nexus 5 would be great for that usage as well. Also every flagship phone since 2012.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

As long as I can get a flagship quality phone for $350 still...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm the rotary telephone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Why would you even turn off Wifi to begin with?

• Locked thread