Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I will confirm that the N5 screen is polarized in such a way that it is barely visible in landscape mode through polarized glasses. This is different from other phones in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Works fine for me. Apart from Whatsapp and my mobile banking app, everything runs peachy.

I switched back to Dalvik and it seems some of my apps had funky behavior attributable to ART. I want to use it but I like my apps. I figure over the next few months active developers will start updating for compatibility.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can I have lock screen shortcuts on KitKat? I'm coming from CM10.1 and Sense before that, so I have no idea what stock vs CM features are. The lack of lock screen shortcuts is killing me.

I assume the new launcher is closed, which means no customizable grid spacing, which was really the only launcher feature I used. In hoping there will be ROM's or mods that just add the individual features I'm missing.

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 10, 2013

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CrashCat posted:

If there's a lock screen widget for it you can do it, I looked through a lot of them but since I don't password I wasn't really interested in shortcuts there.

I'm talking about app shortcuts on the unlock ring. It looks like there were slots for icons, but they all just pop up with the lock icon.

Edit: I got 14h20m today on my N5 with 3h20m screen time and 8% left still. I will that is pretty good since I haven't really turned anything off. Way better than my One X.

carticket fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 10, 2013

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cicero posted:

Does the Nexus 5 not come with a file manager app? I just started using mine and I don't see anything in the apps list.

It does not. Under normal Android conditions, you don't really need one.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a reason you want to be on Sprint? It seems like T-Mobile is probably a better all-around provider, particularly when you bring your own device.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The N5 supports 800 MHz as well, doesn't it?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes but the DT900 and N4 just don't play nice with each other. Placing the phone on that particular charger requires pin point precision of a sniper or the phone will just cycle between charging and not eventually running itself out due to awake time. With the 5 and 7 I just slap it on there.

Did you end up adding magnets to it? I have 3 on the way and I'd like to try adding them to hold it in my desk while tilted.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I got the Nokia charging pads, but I've never used wireless charging before. Should I see some indication that it's working? I get nothing. Might be a dud pad?

Edit: the pad has an led that will light up and the phone will report charging. It's probably not a dud. Check your cable.

OK. I checked my cable and I am apparently bad at plugging in power cables.

carticket fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 13, 2013

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Does the S4 have done sorry it stabilization out us the ruling shutter just terrible on it? There's all sorts of spatial distortion in the normal speed shots on that video.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If I don't use G+ really, can I still capitalize on autoawesome somehow? Can I have my phone backup photos to private albums or anything?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Soooooo ART seems to break the gently caress out of GPS on my Nexus 5. The phone is currently rooted with a settings.db fix to address tethering. With ART actual GPS is dead and the phone bounces around trying to lock on aGPS. Switch to Dalvik, reboot and BAM instant GPS lock with 10+ satellites. Switch back to ART, back to aGPS bouncing.

I really really doubt the settings.db line item I added is loving with ART and GPS but I don't have much on the phone right now and am going to try and flash the factory image and try GPS on ART again. A few of my nerd buddies with N5's aren't having the issue. Can anyone here confirm?

I can confirm that ART is experimental at this point and caused odd problems for me. I don't think it's expected to be usable for daily use yet and was in the ROM as a developer option.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bronin posted:

What?

Batteries don't need training. Charge it whenever you feel like it. There is no memory effect or poo poo like that anymore. Batteries also don't need a full charge and discharge before you use your phone. Just use it out of the box

What if your phone uses a nickel cadmium battery? :smug:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

It seems Motorola is moving faster than Google at the moment. The Moto X DOES support HCE, but the current market app for wallet does not. For now, you can't setup Tap and Pay on the Moto X unless you install the Nexus 5's Wallet APK. Presumably, Google will update the market version for support soon.

So, I'm pretty sure I had to install wallet from the market on my 5. Are you sue there is a 5 specific apk? Source: hazy memory of setting up tap and pay last week.

Also, I've used tap and pay twice! Both times at Rite Aid. I will probably do it a third time in a minute when my prescription is ready.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Now I just wish they had a wider variety of devices on other carriers.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait for 4.4.1 to use ART. Now that a public userbase has been able to piss all over it, I figure the big show stoppers will be fixed in the next update.

Then again, considering that Google didn't notice that WhatsApp broke doesn't really say much about their testing methodology. Even if it's not popular in the US, the download and usage numbers of it should have put it on the radar for testing the runtime.

Google is testing it. They put ART as a buried developer option and users have reported broken apps. My understanding is that a lot of the issues come from increased validation by ART that some apps fail.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think something is wrong. My Nexus 5 battery life is occasionally complete poo poo. This is 1hr of screen on time. I forgot my phone at home the other day and it died in 6 hours with a few minutes of screen on time.

I sometimes get good life (good being 12 hours) and I used to get very good life (16+). I can't figure out what has changed.

I really dislike that the only advice I find online is "turn off location services" when I know that this is software loving up. Others use location services without these issues and I've seen it personally on this phone.

Top wakelocks are:

NlpCollectorWakeLock (Google Play services): 17 m 51 s (1071 s) Count:380 15.1%
Checkin Service (Google Play services): 17 m 49 s (1069 s) Count:8594 15.0%
ConnectivityService (0): 17 m 35 s (1055 s) Count:1483 14.8%
GCM_CONN (Google Play services): 9 m 4 s (544 s) Count:6425 7.6%
AlarmManager (com.facebook.katana.Facebook): 8 m 37 s (517 s) Count:4545 7.3%
AudioMix (0): 7 m 1 s (421 s) Count:333 5.9%
GCM_CONN_ALARM (Google Play services): 6 m 57 s (417 s) Count:2405 5.9%
GpsLocationProvider (0): 6 m 5 s (365 s) Count:7785 5.1%
Genie (com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget.News & Weather): 5 m 42 s (342 s) Count:12 4.8%
NlpWakeLock (Google Play services): 3 m 16 s (196 s) Count:1547 2.8%

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

RZA Encryption posted:

I notice your clock is in the middle of your status bar. Are you rooted by any chance? If so, I would recommend reflashing your phone with the software that is meant to be used on it. Here's a link: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

These problems existed for me before I installed any of the intrusive root apps. Until last week, I was only using root for Titanium Backup and BBS.

Edit: it will probably come to a reflash and restore apps.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

big mean giraffe posted:

That top one is location services based, sometimes they're buggy and turning them off is your only option.

So I did actually disable location services and battery life did improve greatly, Android System still beats out everything else 9 hours in with an hour of screen time. I really want to get to the bottom of location services though, since I like the usefulness of them, but going from 9 hours and 60% remaining to dead in 6 hours is unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there an easy way to remove all contacts from Phone on KitKat (Moto X) except for Google contacts? My girlfriend used the Motorola migration tool and has 1-5 copies of every contact in Phone. People has exactly 1 of each contact. I can't figure out a way to do it other than manually. Can I just clear data on the phone app?

• Locked thread