Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Is there any pressure to reciprocate? I love this idea, but my husband and I share a tiny, cramped almost-studio in a South Korean city that, while pretty cool as a place to live, isn't really very interesting even by Korean standards. I doubt man people would be interested and I don't really like even friends being in my house.

Not at all. Theres loads of guests who don't host and there's also lots of hosts who don't travel. Its not readily apparent that a guest won't be hosting. Its not like a house swap situation because the guest could be from anywhere in the world and travelling anywhere in the world. Not everyone is suited for hosting but obviously if you can then thats great.

Also you'd be surprised by what you can get for your place. If you price it right then there's probably a market for it. I host in Sydney and I get a lot of people who want to stay near their family, studying at the local university nearby or are relocating to Sydney and need to a base to establish themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

At the end of the day it wont cost you anything to get it up. They only take a fee on an accepted booking. So even if you get nothing for 6 months you only lost some time setting it up. On the other hand you might make a few hundred bucks from the one person who wants to visit wherever you live.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

With the free photography it depends on what area you are in. Some cities don't have any photographers so if you request it you might just be put into a queue with no one to pick up the job. I'm in a big city so there seems to be many. My friends all got it done in under 2 weeks and my photographer got back to me in a couple of days and came around the day after.

Also references definitely don't hurt. Every guest needs to start somewhere. I think 80% of my guests so far have been first timers. I just ask them all to add a profile photo and let me know the reasons why they are visiting.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I was also in Chicago for the long weekend staying on Airbnb. That place is great value. Bit out of the way for me but it looks real nice.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

HatJudge posted:

A friend and I are going on a vacation this summer, and we'll be using AirBnB for the first time. Since we've no history with the site, should we contact the hosts before booking? I suppose they're able to refuse us if they don't feel like we're trustworthy?

And as hosts, what do you guys like to receive as a "get-to-know-you" letter? Short and sweet? Bullet points? Life story? Neither of us drink or smoke, that's probably a good thing to mention, right?

To add to what others say the things that usually make me knock people back is absolutely no profile information and a very basic message.

If you are starting out then definitely add everything to your profile that you can. Then send a message only (not a booking request) until you get the hang of how the system works. It makes a difference if its obvious you looked through my listing.

For people who have over 10 reviews already I'm less worried about them just sending me a booking request straight up (even with no message although thats still more polite).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

jvick posted:

Has anyone had any experience with cancelling on a guest? I had to cancel on two guests the other day because my mother failed to remember that she had already committed our unit to someone who purchased it at a fundraiser. One of the people I cancelled on happened to be an AirBnB exec and to say the least he was not happy at all.

How far in advance? I guess in that situation its a pretty basic gently caress up on your (or your mothers part) which would make me more irate. I think if it was something like a pipe burst and flooded the house its not as much in your control.

Also it can all compound if it was a popular weekend, for a hard to book place (bigger groups are harder to organise) and with little notice.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Well its frustrating for sure but 4 months out at least its possible to find accommodation. Then again people can sometimes really want the one they got!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Argue posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to approve that guy since all I knew about him was that one sentence he sent me.

I figured I should look for references, but that wouldn't be fair since everyone starts with no references, so I thought people here might have a better idea of what sort of earmarks to look for to spot people who were likely to be good tenants. So far, all I have is "profile pic, mature Facebook account, communicates well."

The other thing is that the area I'm in is a good upscale area, but as a result of the high number of expats hanging out there, there's also a high number of hookers, and I'd like to know that I'm not renting out to someone who's just going to be using the place as a base of operations to gently caress women from.

References are actually different to reviews.

Reviews only happen after a booking whilst references can be left by anyone with an airbnb account and will appear under all the reviews (under the references tab!). Heres a link - https://www.airbnb.com/help/question/173

I'd request info of why they are coming, why they liked your place + ask them to add a photo. If they do all that quite quickly and without problem then I would think its 99% ok.

You can also ask them if they can do any verifications for you (phone, facebook, twitter, linkedin, verified ID)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Thanks! That's all super helpful. I'm a little hesitant to plunk down a lot of money renovating the room but in the end it'll hopefully be worth it.

You don't have to renovate but you do want some things in there to fill the room.

The easiest thing to do is grab things from the walls, tables in your bedroom and add them in there for the first couple of guests. Then when you've made a little money buy something specifically for the room.

Otherwise you will want to have at least something on the walls. A bare wall looks pretty boring. I like some indoor plants or if you have a garden you can add some flowers/branches to a vase. Little succulent pots work well and should only be a few dollars each. Always have some information/guides on the table. You could go to your towns tourist/info centre and probably pick up a bunch. Write down a list of things you like to do such as places to eat or drink, how to get around town, little spots to go for a walk etc.

Something that really grabs peoples attention like a very colourful bedspread is always a good idea as well. Colour really works well in the photos.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

tentish klown posted:

I have some guests staying in an apartment that I let out as a whole unit through airbnb.
I asked them if there's anything I can do - they are Korean and don't speak very much English. They want me to book them a taxi to the airport for their flight from London to Vienna, and also want me to book them a transfer from Gatwick to Heathrow when they get back to Vienna, 12 days after they leave my flat.

I feel like I've been put in a difficult position here - I am not responsible for their travels. A taxi to the airport when they leave my flat is borderline, but I feel like booking them a shuttle two weeks after they stay is taking the piss somewhat. However, I don't feel like I can say no in case that affects my host rating.

What do I do, goons?

I'd probably give them the taxi as they still have to pay for it and its not hard to do. Then give them the details of how to get from gatwick to heathrow. At least at gatwick its really not hard to find transport.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've had to meet the person to give keys, combo for a lockbox, meet a friend, pick up the keys during the day at their work/in the city, find them under a pot plant, walk straight in cause its a place where the door is always open or the easiest one is just when they are always home.

When leaving I would say that most times I just leave the keys in the home and lock the door on my way out. Or you leave it back in the lockbox.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

basch posted:

I'm new to travelling in general but I do have a slim budget, so a bunch of questions: How safe is Airbnb for a group of girls planning to travel to Japan? What should I be looking for to find trustworthy hosts?

If anyone has any recommendations for Tokyo that would also be a great help!

Its Japan. Its probably the safest country you can go to as a group of girls.

If you stay in your own place then there won't be anything to worry about. How big is your group as Japan will probably have small rooms with a bunch of futons to sleep on assuming its not too big.?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

basch posted:

'Own place' meaning no host staying with us? Because I assume it'd be nice to have someone local showing us the sights :v:

4 people, so I think it won't be too hard to find a place.

Yeh there are three types of accommodation.

Entire Home/Apartment means you get a whole property to yourself
Private Room means you get a room in someones house and live with them (like flatmates)
Shared room is less common but you wouldn't have total privacy when sleeping.

Seeing as Japan has tiny homes its more likely you would get the first. Private Rooms tend to be only for 2 people max (as its just one bedroom) but you might find a place with a couple of bedrooms.

I've stayed in all and they all have pro's and con's. Obviously it gets more expensive/cheaper depending on which way you go. Sometimes you like having your own place and sometimes I love having someone around (especially if its not a big city).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I often have a specific work budget when travelling and I usually tell them that I'd love to stay there but my work would only cover $X per night so if they were willing to drop it I would stay. It's usually between 10-20% im asking off. Especially now San Francisco has taxes added.

Probably helps I have over 40 reviews as a guest and a host.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

In Australia but not currently. I just moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

dreadspork posted:

My spouse and I just bought a 3 br 2 ba home in San Antonio. We of course use the master bedroom and one of the spares for our office, but that leaves the third bedroom unoccupied and the other bathroom basically unused. I have been wondering recently about renting the third room out maybe for weekend use. We are quiet people who mostly keep to ourselves. I'm not particularly interested in playing concierge to someone in the house. I understand that we would provide certain amenities (a guest basket with toiletries, we are thinking we could put our mini fridge in the room with sodas and snacks, in the mornings we could offer to make the guest coffee or we even have a cappuccino machine, etc) but I would hope the guest would not be relying on us to show them the town or have dinner/socialize excessively with them. Not saying it wouldn't ever happen, but I wouldn't want to feel obligated.

Would Air BnB be a good route to go if we want to host only over weekends and don't have much intention of hanging out/socializing with our guest? We are not rude by any means and would be happy to answer questions about the area and maintain social niceties but we don't want to be obligated to be someone's BFF during the duration of their stay.

Also, how important is it to grant a guest full kitchen access? I can't begin to even know how that works. You just let them raid your fridge/cook stuff? I'm not that keen on that. I would prefer the guest have full access to the bedroom, guest bath and living area only. We could provide an ensuite coffee maker or something, along with the sodas and snacks.

One final question and it's perhaps an odd one. My spouse and I are a same-sex couple; not everyone is OK with that. Does anyone know how other gay/lesbian BnB hosters handle that? Like would they put a heads up in their profile or handle it via private messages?

To the first point you'll find that some guests are always out/wanting to do their own things that you will hardly see them. It's not a huge problem. Just be friendly and have all the answers they need/tips on things to do in their room and they will be able to handle most of it themselves. I've definitely had really long conversations with hosts over a beer or dinner but I've also had the other way where I never saw them. You'll be able to judge how much interaction they want pretty quickly and if its obvious you are going to/from work and just want to relax they will probably respect that.

As someone who lives in Australia and has stayed in some very very gay friendly cities I would say a good chunk of my stays are with gay hosts. Culturally some people or places are less used to it but Airbnb definitely is a pretty gay friendly platform. You might need to just be more aware if you say had an old asian couple coming to stay. I don't think you need to tell the people straight up but its usually pretty easy to get from their user profile.

And quite frankly its not something thats really will come up much. You could say the place is LGBT friendly on the listing page as some travellers would feel more comfortable staying there.

• Locked thread