Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

dreadspork posted:

Would Air BnB be a good route to go if we want to host only over weekends and don't have much intention of hanging out/socializing with our guest? We are not rude by any means and would be happy to answer questions about the area and maintain social niceties but we don't want to be obligated to be someone's BFF during the duration of their stay.

Being gay as hell yet single, I can't really help for the "same sex" part. I obviously wouldn't mind but the same can't be said of everyone. (gently caress all haters imo, if they hate the fact that you're a same sex couple then they can just rent elsewhere. :argh:)

But my limited AirBnB experience so far might be relevant -- three times I've had to stay in a new, unknown city and I explicitly chose to rent a room instead of a whole (private) apartment in order to have a host close by should I have any questions about the good hangouts and attractions. In 2 out of 3 cases, that plan fell short and the room hosts were actually out of town themselves while I rented. But they were nice enough to leave both personal recommendations and "official" tourist guides for their guests during that time. Since they made the effort to provide information regardless of their presence, in the end I didn't mind at all and gave them positive reviews.

I guess for the very limited subsection of AirBnB users that actively seek out rooms and not apartments, this might get you some ratings. FWIW, the third aforementioned room did have the hosts present while I rented their room. They were busy with their own things but I got to chat them up briefly over 3 days. (Like 5 minutes of direct interaction at most.) That's pretty short, but in those few interactions they gave me some great, up to date ideas as to what to do and what to see which I might not have gotten from the tourist guides and flyers provided by the absent hosts.

In the end, I was pretty chuffed about my AirBnB experience both from present and absent hosts. The present ones were discreet but had great pointers on what I could see and do, even given the little information I gave them about my interests. The absent ones couldn't know what I wanted to see and do but made sure I had plenty of information regardless.

Personal experience bottom line, I guess, is that as long as you make minimal effort to keep your guests informed, they won't mind where that interaction came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread