Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What ended up happening with airbnb being banned in New York? Did they just admit is was unenforceable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just stayed in New York in two separate places, one in Queens and one in Manhattan, and both were pretty great. The first host was better, giving us a list of stuff and the wifi password etc long before we arrived, while we had to ask the second one for stuff like that. (Both were entire apartments with the owners elsewhere, so they weren't just on hand.)

Now, however, we're having a very hard time getting an airbnb place in London. We're moving there (currently on a four-day stopover in Iceland) and just want a place for a week or two while we find longer, more official accommodation. I think we've applied for about ten so far and they've all declined us, one of them explicitly stating that they only want tourists.

Can any hosts offer an insight as to why that might be? Are they worried that if we can't find anywhere to live we'll just try to stick around?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

tentish klown posted:

What's your budget and when are you looking to stay? And what are you looking for?

Whole place or private room, must have wifi (job and househunting). Literally anywhere relatively close to the city as long as we're not looking at, like, a 1.5 hour commute (for resume handouts etc.) Our budget was something like $70 AUD a night but now we've upped it to $90-100 and gotten pre-approval on a few places. Although we also stopped telling people that we were moving there. I just don't get what the big deal about that was.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

tentish klown posted:

Yeah I'm afraid I can't help you out there - my flat is out of your budget as it's in a prime central location. Good luck finding somewhere though, there are definitely places around that will fit your criteria.

No worries, we're staying at a place in Hackney now. Just had to up our price a bit. We probably can't realy afford to be spending this much but once you've gotten used to a certain level of comfort you don't want to go back to hostel dorms...

Sheizerbrick posted:

Are many hosts reluctant to let people stay for a longer term? I understand it's more of a holiday tourist kind of service.

Planning to move to Berlin in March/April and I was thinking to use AirBnB to stay somewhere for at least 1 month while I start to get things sorted and look for a place of my own. I don't currently have an account either, so I would have no references or reviews.

I'll email any hosts I'm interested in beforehand as advised by the thread to make sure we're all happy. If you had someone wanting to stay for a month, how much booking notice would you want, ideally? Not sure how early I can start arranging everything.

See my experience above. For some reason people were reluctant to rent to us when they knew we were moving here rather than just being tourists and I still have no idea why. I can only assume they were worried we might demand to stick around if we couldn't find anywhere to live in time.

• Locked thread