Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I'm putting a flat up (in London, UK) on AirBnB. I currently have 5 photos up and haven't done anything to it to make it good, but am going to spend a day sprucing it up, buying all the quality extras and then getting the free AirBnB photographer to come round and take professional photos.

It's here:
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/2282137

The whole flat is up for the time being but I'll be moving in later in the year and will reduce it to the spare room. Any hints and tips to make it look better would be appreciated, I plan on having a quality page up by mid-Feb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Well, I've just had my first enquiry, for 5 students to share the place while they're doing internships at investment banks. Seeing as I'm not a fan of the listing at the moment, I'm blown away. 10 weeks of bookings straight like that! They want to look around and check it out before going ahead and booking (unsurprisingly, given that it's thousands of pounds worth of rent), but this is amazing.

My estate agent is officially fired.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Dead Pressed posted:

EDIT: Tentish Klown & jvick, do either of you mind if I place you in the OP as hosts?

Not at all!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Dead Pressed posted:

Will add you tonight!

Discount applies here as well!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Frost000 posted:

In which city are you doing this in? I was wondering if it might be an option if/when I move to London next Fall. Seems like if I could negotiate a deal to stay somewhere 1-2 months at a time with a few down days here and there, it could be a great way to save a bit of rent money.

I can't see this working. I'm aiming 'affordable' for my flat and it's still about twice the monthly rent I would expect to pull in from it. I could easily go higher. When I eventually move in there later this year, the spare room will be going for about 3x the long-term rate for it.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Dead Pressed posted:

Well, AirBnB is now offering free CO & smoke detectors and first aid kits for all hosts in 2014. Check it out!
https://www.airbnb.com/home-safety

*all US hosts...

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Quick question for you guys -
I've just had my first two sets of guests (for a whole apartment that I don't live in). It's been a bit of a pain in the arse organising the key exchange, especially during the day when it means I need to skip out of work for an hour and a half in order to go to the flat, wait for the guys to turn up, and head back to work. What methods have you seen that would make this smoother/easier/infringe my day job less?
Also, do hosts usually let new guests stay the day that the previous guests leave? I just tried this and it makes things so much harder because it only give me a few hours gap to turn the place over, change the sheets etc. I'm just curious as to what the standard practice for these things is.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

HatJudge posted:

A friend and I are going on a vacation this summer, and we'll be using AirBnB for the first time. Since we've no history with the site, should we contact the hosts before booking? I suppose they're able to refuse us if they don't feel like we're trustworthy?

And as hosts, what do you guys like to receive as a "get-to-know-you" letter? Short and sweet? Bullet points? Life story? Neither of us drink or smoke, that's probably a good thing to mention, right?

Always message the host before booking. Short and sweet is fine, just say who you are, what you do and what the purpose of your stay is. Ask a couple of questions about the area or house. Yeah, if you don't drink or smoke that's a great thing to say as I would rather have quiet considerate guests than party animals any day of the week.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

freebooter posted:

Just stayed in New York in two separate places, one in Queens and one in Manhattan, and both were pretty great. The first host was better, giving us a list of stuff and the wifi password etc long before we arrived, while we had to ask the second one for stuff like that. (Both were entire apartments with the owners elsewhere, so they weren't just on hand.)

Now, however, we're having a very hard time getting an airbnb place in London. We're moving there (currently on a four-day stopover in Iceland) and just want a place for a week or two while we find longer, more official accommodation. I think we've applied for about ten so far and they've all declined us, one of them explicitly stating that they only want tourists.

Can any hosts offer an insight as to why that might be? Are they worried that if we can't find anywhere to live we'll just try to stick around?

What's your budget and when are you looking to stay? And what are you looking for?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

freebooter posted:

Whole place or private room, must have wifi (job and househunting). Literally anywhere relatively close to the city as long as we're not looking at, like, a 1.5 hour commute (for resume handouts etc.) Our budget was something like $70 AUD a night but now we've upped it to $90-100 and gotten pre-approval on a few places. Although we also stopped telling people that we were moving there. I just don't get what the big deal about that was.

Yeah I'm afraid I can't help you out there - my flat is out of your budget as it's in a prime central location. Good luck finding somewhere though, there are definitely places around that will fit your criteria.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I have some guests staying in an apartment that I let out as a whole unit through airbnb.
I asked them if there's anything I can do - they are Korean and don't speak very much English. They want me to book them a taxi to the airport for their flight from London to Vienna, and also want me to book them a transfer from Gatwick to Heathrow when they get back to Vienna, 12 days after they leave my flat.

I feel like I've been put in a difficult position here - I am not responsible for their travels. A taxi to the airport when they leave my flat is borderline, but I feel like booking them a shuttle two weeks after they stay is taking the piss somewhat. However, I don't feel like I can say no in case that affects my host rating.

What do I do, goons?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

my darling feet posted:

Has anybody had any bad experiences with ABnB, the California Squatters case aside?

I just gave my first bad review to a guest - the Korean family that I mentioned earlier. They stayed for a week.
There were several factors:
1 - They moved the furniture around in the flat and left it in a completely different layout to how it was when they arrived. Annoying, but by itself not worthy of a complaint.
2 - Despite me taking the father to where the rubbish (trash) goes (like, downstairs, outside to an outhouse to which he has the key) they left their rubbish in the kitchen overflowing the bin. Again, not particularly annoying but shows a lack of care.
3 - They left all the windows wide open when they left, including some french window style windows that someone could easily fit through. This is for a flat in central London, on the 1st floor of a building so all it would have taken for someone to get in would be to climb a 1-storey wall. This is not really forgivable, and I was busy for a few days after they left and so didn't get round to checking up on the flat until 5 days afterwards.
4 - They left the toilet seats covered with urine and a rag with what looked like blood on the floor. Pretty disgusting.
5 - Food stains over all the tables. Not a problem, but along with the other issues...
6 - Asking me to not only book a cab for them to go to the airport (not a big deal) but also to book them a cab for the next time they are in the UK.

Most of these by themselves are not issues I would normally kick up a fuss about, but all of them together just made me wonder what the gently caress they thought they were doing. I think that because they were renting a whole flat, they didn't really understand that it's still someone's property and not a hotel complete with concierge service and cleaner. Basically I got the impression that they didn't give a poo poo.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Literally fuming at a guest for asking for a 460 euro refund on a stay I received £830 for, because of limescale, a greasy cooker-hood (because a cooker-hood traps grease), a couple of stains on the sofa, and a dusty lamp.
I even got an extra 3-hour cleaning service for the guy, on a Saturday, when he complained to me on Friday night at 8:30pm.

There's no pleasing some people.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Dead Pressed posted:

Has he already reviewed you or is he hanging this over your head prior to review?

He hasn't reviewed me yet. I've agreed to get the airbnb resolutions team involved, and told them that I'll refund 50E if he agrees that neither of us review the other.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Juanito posted:

Does the guest have any bad reviews?

He doesn't have any reviews, no.
Apparently it's legit if you argue your case - this guy literally took photos of everything he could possibly moan about - a dusty lamp, lime scale on the taps etc. The airbnb team try to keep both sides happy if possible. The negotiator asked me if I would settle for a 150E refund (the guy wants 460E), I said absolutely not. I hate being held to ransom by people trying their luck.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Souvlaki ss posted:

Thanks!
Actually my first language is Spanish so no problem there. I'm just kinda paranoid about negotiating, specially with chileans, because every time I have tried in the past they stop replying instantly, even when I was being super nice and not asking for much at all

If someone tries to negotiate with me as an opening gambit for any stay shorter than three weeks I'm likely to tell them to piss off. Those people in my experience cause the most hassle. Longer stays, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

I've stayed in many an AirBnB with mostly positive results. I'm staying in one now, in a large city, and just saw a mouse :stare:

The host of the apartment was notified, the tenant came by to put in traps, but I've never had mice before and I'm not quite sure what to do. Good thing I washed my drinking glass last night.

It's just a mouse.

• Locked thread