Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Dead Pressed posted:

You could always try AirBnB over a few months and if it doesn't work out, work to rent it to a full time occupant. Vice versa would work well, too, if you're having trouble finding a tenant. Personally, if it were a full unit, I don't know what I would try myself first. I am a big proponent of AirBnB, but don't know that I'd want to struggle to keep occupancy rates high. Remember, that's furniture you have to provide, sheets that have to be washed, etc. It can be done, but you'd have to work at it.

Renting out a room in your own place is most certainly an easier call.

You'll also have a lot of back and forth communication with people wanting to book. I worked in vacation apartment rentals in Paris and our occupancy rates were in the 50% range in the slow months and upper 80s in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

tentish klown posted:

Quick question for you guys -
I've just had my first two sets of guests (for a whole apartment that I don't live in). It's been a bit of a pain in the arse organising the key exchange, especially during the day when it means I need to skip out of work for an hour and a half in order to go to the flat, wait for the guys to turn up, and head back to work. What methods have you seen that would make this smoother/easier/infringe my day job less?
Also, do hosts usually let new guests stay the day that the previous guests leave? I just tried this and it makes things so much harder because it only give me a few hours gap to turn the place over, change the sheets etc. I'm just curious as to what the standard practice for these things is.

Welcome to the wonderful world of vacation rentals! I worked for a rental company in Paris for a little over a year. We had a fairly strict 10am check out policy and our "official" check-in was 3pm. We would frequently have people check in the same day as a check out. But we also had dedicated cleaners who could start cleaning at 10am.

Could you do a key box and have the guests check themselves in?

Or something like this: http://www.nokey.com/mokecoelde.html

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

caberham posted:

So how does check in work? You just kind of call the owner on the day of arrival and pick up your keys? And when you check out you hand the keys to the guy? As a tourist, does that mean on average you lose an hour or two to sort everything out?

I actually wanted to stay in AirBnB Amsterdam but prices weren't really that much cheaper and quite a few places were more of a renting room kind of thing.

Ugh, families are the worst kind of travelers. They can't afford a hotel, yet trash other people's places. They probably think that the cleaning fee is all encompassing and give no shits. Then as the host you have to deal with shitbag attitudes/habits from all over the world. Either they don't flush the toilet properly, or get drunk/smoke/stink up the place.

My mom contested paying the cleaning fee for an apartment because some of the grout in the shower was black/moldy. It was just a small corner (about two or three inches long). Don't rent to anyone older than 40 because these are the people you will have to deal with.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Anyone have advice about seeking out a long term Air BNB in another country? I'm going to be in Brazil from February 2015 to December 2015 on a Fulbright program and am responsible for figuring out my own housing situation. Are hosts generally amenable to long-term guests? Any particular issues or road bumps I should look out for?

For that long you might want to look elsewhere as you can probably find something cheaper.

• Locked thread