Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Anyone have advice about how to negotiate with a host?

I've use airbnb multiple times before (always a guest) and I have great reviews. This is my first time trying to get an apartment for a longer stay (3 months) and the prices for Santiago, Chile in a decent neighborhood are super high. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like not that many people put lower rates for longer stays.
I don't wanna seem like an rear end in a top hat but I definitely don't wanna over pay (specially when they are asking $1500 monthly for a tiny tiny studio, 10 blocks away from the subway in some cases).

Can I get an apartment that is $1000 down to 800? 750? is that even realistically posible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

Juanito posted:

I have yet to use airbnb in Chile, but I've noticed the crazy rates. I'd definitely reach out to people and negotiate. How's your Spanish? Because that could help. In my experience, Chileans like to go with a really high price (sometimes unrealistic) in the range of prices, but you can usually get it down. It can be tough though because with gringos, they see dollars.

I think it'll help you that the dollar is stronger right now.

If you need help translating, drop me a PM and maybe I can help.

Thanks!
Actually my first language is Spanish so no problem there. I'm just kinda paranoid about negotiating, specially with chileans, because every time I have tried in the past they stop replying instantly, even when I was being super nice and not asking for much at all

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

tentish klown posted:

If someone tries to negotiate with me as an opening gambit for any stay shorter than three weeks I'm likely to tell them to piss off. Those people in my experience cause the most hassle. Longer stays, sure.

It makes sense, I would do the same as a host.
The stay was in fact 3 weeks 1/2 and I was asking if it was possible, for extra money of course, to add a Tv or computer monitor to the apartment because It would have made work way easier. It wasn't the first message or anything, but it was something important I had to ask before booking the place.

Maybe it was too much to ask, dunno. That's why I wonder what is the best approach to negotiate a price, because I don't wanna offend the host

• Locked thread