Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Incidentally, if you are in a vacation area and do a lot of weekly rentals, it might be worth listing your place on VRBO as well as AirBnB. It's a lot older than AirBnB, and a bit more low-tech. Like you communicate through email, and you are responsible for your own payments (although they do provide a service.) You skip the AirBnB 6-12% "guest service fee", but it costs $349 flat a year.

We used it recently on a trip to California and were very happy with every place we stayed. People seem a bit more serious about their rentals than AirBnB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I checked their whole site and only saw a flat 3% fee on AirBnB, are they nickel and diming some other stuff?

They call it the "guest service fee" and it's on top of the price you list at. So if you list a place for $100 a night, you get $97 and the user pays around $110. $3 from you and $10 from the guest is the way they try to portray it.

But maybe most people just ignore that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also cheap places book up faster. Two months out may be fine for a normal AirBnB but maybe not for a highly sought after date. New York is a big place too...if she's only looking in Manhattan that is going to be pricey all the time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We just used a couple of whole-house AirBnBs in Portland and Seattle.

The Portland one was like a typical vacation rental, with an eco twist. All wood cottage in someone's backyard, only a couple of years old. Very cool.

The Seattle one was kind of weird. It was like the women renting it had just walked out of the place five minutes before we arrived. Mostly full fridge and all her personal poo poo everywhere. Like it was clean, but we had a foot of closet space, beside her clothes. And the mirror in the bedroom had a hospital bracelet hanging on it. Just like, super personal. OTOH, a fully stocked kitchen is nice.

For the purposes of this thread, we picked them because they had a couple dozen good ratings, and were described as being close to public transit and walkable to restaurants and such. Just call it a few blocks, and people will think it's a short walk, even if no one there ever walks and it's pretty far.

Also, I strongly suggest not using the Private Feedback field in the review to say anything negative if you are the host. It might feel good to complain but it will just kill your chance of getting a referral.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

On my 8th loving try, I finally found a place to stay in DC. Have any of you had to go through so much hassle? It's been:

1. Your reservation has been placed but not approved!
2. Your order has been temporarily placed on your credit card.
3. I'm sorry, <insert residence here> has rejected your request.
4. Your credit card payment has been revoked/declined.

You can send a message instead of just trying to book. Say their place looks good, you'd love to stay there, etc. Then you can do this with a few places at the same time, but aren't locked in to any like you normally are. One or more of the hosts can pre-approve you for booking, and then you just pay then.

It puts the power much more on the side of the renter, in my opinion. You aren't stuck waiting 24 hours for some flaky person to not check their email.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Literally fuming at a guest for asking for a 460 euro refund on a stay I received £830 for, because of limescale, a greasy cooker-hood (because a cooker-hood traps grease), a couple of stains on the sofa, and a dusty lamp.
I even got an extra 3-hour cleaning service for the guy, on a Saturday, when he complained to me on Friday night at 8:30pm.

There's no pleasing some people.

Is "it was dirty" even a valid reason to contest charges? I always figured Airbnb was an "as-is" rental.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Might take a look at VRBO too. They tend to have monthly rates posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Organized people want to fill up their calendar as soon as possible. Disorganized people don't want to think about renting six months out.

• Locked thread