Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I basically live out of AirBnB full time now, and it's been a great experience. I love the flexibility of being able to move around from week to week (or day to day), but still often have a social circle through the host. I don't have a place of my own to rent out anymore, but read some interesting reflections on hosting on medium that might be applicable to some of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Frost000 posted:

In which city are you doing this in? I was wondering if it might be an option if/when I move to London next Fall. Seems like if I could negotiate a deal to stay somewhere 1-2 months at a time with a few down days here and there, it could be a great way to save a bit of rent money.

I'm mostly along the east coast and through the Midwest in the US and Canada. I don't know that it would be an effective way to save money though, because you're paying a premium for a short stay. I'm probably paying about between double and triple what it would cost for the space on a one-year lease. You would need quite a few down days to make up for that. Your best bet to save money may be to go the other way, get a 2- or 3-bedroom flat, keep a flatmate and airbnb-out the other room to collect the short-term stay premium. Do your research and see which parts of London get a lot of airbnb traffic, and which get none.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

I'm looking at working remotely and renting places to stay through AirBNB for a couple weeks to a month at a time so I can travel full time. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'll probably start in Europe. The per month prices vary but I seem to find decent looking rentals for close to $1000/month if not less in most major European cities. My primary concern will be a fast internet connection as I cannot have any down-time.

I basically do this and it's awesome, though I haven't gone outside of the US/Canada with it yet. I use a tethered LTE phone as a backup, and obviously everything goes through a VPN.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

Thanks! I was surprised at how affordable it is. Where have you visited in the US and Canada?

I think I'll try to travel a bit first through US/Canada before heading to Europe. I'll be using a VPN and will need to make VOIP calls so reliability/speed is important. Traveling Latin America would be nice because I'll be keeping mostly US work hours but internet reliability worries me.

I was thinking of traveling with a long Ethernet cable and asking to make sure there's a place to plug in in the apt/home so I can avoid spotty wifi and also make sure the router is in the apt/home. I'll use a tethered LTE phone or something similar as backup - will have to figure out the best option in Europe.

I've been all over the maritimes in Canada, Toronto (where I'm based, but I stayed in a few Airbnbs in neighbourhoods that I didn't know well), Chicago, Boulder, SF, Portland and now up the west coast in Canada. There's a higher-than-average probability that your host will work from home, (and has a gas range!), at least in my experience. I tend to pick a place based on the host moreso than the listing itself, so YMMV. It's good to travel with an ethernet cable, and I've fallen back on that once or twice, but more often I just fall back on LTE/HSDPA. Younger hosts tend to have better connections in my experience, but I would include that you're working and depend on a good connection if your message to the host and let them tell you if it will be a problem.

Argue posted:

I've got a small studio in a high-rise here in the Philippines that I was advised to rent out on Airbnb (I wouldn't be interacting with the guests). I'm quite new to hosting, so I was hoping to ask for some help with screening potential tenants. I got my first inquiry today, from someone who is hoping to stay there for a week.

What sort of questions should I ask any prospective tenant? Since Airbnb has tenants pre-pay, is income still an important factor?

For tenants with no Airbnb reviews/references/etc, how do I further vet them? This guy has no profile picture, and his message to me said nothing but "I chek in date of June 19 at 7 am and check out June 25 at 7 am should not you?". That's literally the entire message. Should I just give him a flat out no, or is this a reasonable message to get from someone who might not be fluent in English?

I'm not a host but a frequent user of Airbnb. Payments are all handled by Airbnb, so that's not really part of the equation. You're really vetting for people that won't trash your place, and it sounds like you don't have much to do on here. I've seen hosts put in the description that they will decline any requests without a profile picture, which I think is perfectly valid. You can also ask for new users without any reviews to have a certain number of references. I've seen hosts collect a security deposit through Airbnb, which you could do it lessen the risk. Do they have verified ID? Everyone starts without any reviews, but if you don't have a good feeling, decline it.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Thanks! That's all super helpful. I'm a little hesitant to plunk down a lot of money renovating the room but in the end it'll hopefully be worth it.

In the worst case you come out with a nicer guest bedroom even if noone books.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I've had more declines in Regina than all of the other 2 dozen or so places I've been to combined. Grrr. Wide open calendars (it's Regina), "the room is not available".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Bicuspid posted:

Okay I'm obviously missing something here but ... how do you even negotiate? When I click on 'book room' it goes to the screen where I would put in my CC info at the advertised rate per night x the length of my stay. I'm moving to San Fran and looking to live for at least a month, possibly two while I look for my own apartment.

Try the Contact Host button. It used to be more prominent (just below Request to book) but they're demoted it. It just should just below About This Listing.

• Locked thread