Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Dead Pressed, I think it'd be interesting for you to challenge your own assumptions about the unpleasantness of Couchsurfing. The onus is not on the host at all, for one thing: they're not being paid! As Aliquid hints, the pressure is more on the guests to be ''interesting'' or helpful in some way. When requesting a couch, you're always supposed to write about something that caught you eye on the host's profile, for example, as a starting point for a good conversation. It can be cheesy but you have to use your sense for people: a genuine, warm message often means a really fun intereaction. The ''little minimum of money down'' chases away the true vagabonds: you're much less likely to get a touring rock band or people on a very long bike tour (who aren't all creeps!), since they can't afford $45/night for 3 months.

If you were to have the same room listed on CS and AirBnB, I bet you'd find that there was little crossover and a contrast worth seeing between the groups of guests.

Regardless, I really appreciate your writeup of this site and this looks like it'll be an interesting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread