Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Accordion Man posted:

I wonder how bullshit they'll make Ming-Xiao considering how much of a bullet sponge she is normally.

God, yes. I can't wait to see how hosed up they decide to make the Marshall. I hope they make you fight Lacroix and he has a katana and an uzi. I hope they make you fight Jack for no reason and he totally cheats and is the most powerful enemy in the game. I hope they make you fight Jack and the mummy at the same time and when you win there is a giant pile of explosives next to you that goes off and kills you anyway unless you solve a differential calculus equation while fighting them.

This mod is so garbage and I'm loving it. Thanks again, McD. Much respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Antediluvian is real and is the new end of the game, but you can't win.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Accordion Man posted:

The Antediluvian is real and is the new end of the game, but you can't win.

Well I mean that's at least lore-friendly.

e: vvv also lore friendly.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 3, 2015

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

No no, what will really be the end of the game is the cab driver being Cain and stomping you flat.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wonder if they just got the idea from playing San Andreas a bunch. The RC bomb levels were kinda fun...less so if you're receiving and can't shoot them for reasons though.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

OAquinas posted:

Wonder if they just got the idea from playing San Andreas a bunch. The RC bomb levels were kinda fun...less so if you're receiving and can't shoot them for reasons though.

I'm betting the only reason is they couldn't figure out how to code it, but had too much code done to just scrap the idea.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, I'm done recording footage now. I've got everything, all the way to the end. Now all that's left is to write the updates and I'm done with this poo poo. All I can say is that the upcoming stuff makes me mad on several different levels, which is actually almost impressive. Almost.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. Hitscan grenade launchers. How do they top that? Dual-wielding?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. Hitscan grenade launchers. How do they top that? Dual-wielding?

The grenades have smaller grenades attached to them.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

the_steve posted:

The grenades have smaller grenades attached to them.

And those grenades have terrible Euro-punk hair dos and denim jackets with too many patches.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The sheriff has a MK19 on his back. And LaCeoix has a tactical nuke on a dead mans switch

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe the sabbth hotel is full of those sewer monsters.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know what? Screw the narrative thing. I say this for two reasons - one, the suspicion I had earlier was right, there's no way I'm getting something I'm remotely happy with out of this combat slog, and two, I really shouldn't be doing it when I'm not enjoying myself. The Giovanni mansion, for its faults, at least had some poo poo for me to work with, and it was largely only stupid, not aggravating. This upcoming poo poo? It makes me mad. Very much so - and maybe more than I've ever been during the rest of this LP. This upcoming part pissed me right the gently caress off, and did so in multiple salvos, so I couldn't come down from being mad about the last thing before it slams me with the next thing. I'm not sure what the previous Peak Mad was... either the calculus puzzle in Update 4, or Grout's wife being a boss plus lovely platforming in Update 6... actually, wait, I forgot about those sewers in Update 9 where I both prefaced and ended the update with a massive ramble on how much I hate this mod. That was probably Peak Mad, and thinking about it, that might stay Peak Mad, if only because I've grown accustomed to the regular bullshit this mod throws at me, and now only the extraordinary bullshit really gets to me. Though there will be some of that, I guarantee that much. gently caress it, let's quit beating around the bush here, it's time for more lovely loving combat.

So, blah-di-blah, Sabbat attack Venture Towers, Beckett is a smart-rear end, head to Hallowbrook Hotel, let's do this poo poo.

Since this is endgame territory, we're decking ourselves out for war - full stash of ammo for every weapon we've got.

Now, here's something interesting I've found out - remember that Harbringer we ran into in the graveyard? Well, turns out that he was part of a quest I was supposed to get in Club Confession. Apparently - and I only know this from reading the quest descriptions in the files - there's supposed to be a Giovanni here that tells us to head to the graveyard, where we would then be attacked by the Harbringer, then things develop from there. I have no idea where that Giovanni is, and I can't talk to anybody in the club bar the blood doll and Venus. I presume the quest is broken because the second stage triggered without ever having triggered the first one, and that made everything completely go to hell.

I found this guy that somehow seems out of place, like he was added by the mod, but I can't talk to him. Oh well, at this point, I'm happy I don't have to do more poo poo in this mod.

We'll be bringing along some backup for the next part, though I'm not entirely sure just how much help the companions will be. I'd have picked Heather to come along, but she's gone. I have no idea where she is. In lieu of Heather, we bring along Edward and Yukie, which should be the most combat-effective team we have.

While picking up some blood, I notice that there's Elder Vitae for sale now. That's probably not exactly something that should be sold in a shop.

And with all the preparations done, we're off to Hallowbrook Hotel.

Now, what's different? Well, not a lot, really.

There seems to be a change to the AI - at least I'm having a much easier time than before due to enemies not being able to work with cover. They get shots off that hit cover, I get shots off that hit them, repeat until dead. Also, hardly any of the enemies have AK-47s or similar weapons, so they're not really posing a threat.

Take, for instance, this screenshot. I currently have three enemies taking shots at me - two from the front (they're hard to see, but they're there, trust me) and one from the side. It's very hard for them to get a shot off and actually hit when I stand still. It's weird, I'm not used to the AI not being able to shoot me.

There's this thing here, that I can supposedly switch on and off. I think. I hosed around with it so much I completely forgot whether I now had it on or off, and I couldn't tell if it made any changes. Par for the course, I guess.

For some reason, the eyeless blood dolls were replaced with various pedestrian models. So we have the eyeless blood doll in the sewers, but not here, where they originally were? What the gently caress is the reasoning behind this change?

Interesting note - the doors that fly open and reveal enemies are apparently coded to do so when you walk past them, regardless of whether the enemy behind them still exists or not.

Apparently, the suicide bomber zombies are back, or there are grenade traps around, because I just walked through a door and then lost about 75% of my health to an explosion going off behind me. Tending towards grenade trap, because I couldn't see poo poo. Also, somewhere around here, the healing factor came back for some reason. I'm not complaining, but I have no idea how this glitch works.

Note that throughout this, our companions are wholly uncooperative. They could not give less of a poo poo about what's going on right now. Thankfully, between the enemies not really bringing any threats to the table, and the few threats that there are being nullified with the healing factor, there's no need for them just yet.

There's also some enemies that use Obfuscate, but thanks to their lovely weapon selection (is that a loving mace? Seriously?), they don't pose much of a threat either.

Occasionally, there's an enemy of the exploding variety as well, but since they're also few and far between, no real danger either. Even if I didn't have the healing factor, this wouldn't be a problem.

After a while, I just get bored and start meleeing people. I probably should have started that earlier, because I was running somewhat low on ammo for the good guns (the AK-47 and the revolver).

The meandering continues, and we eventually bumble into what I hesitantly call a "boss" encounter with the three enemies that teleport whenever you hit them. It's tedious, but they're all wielding weapons that can't scratch Victoria at this point, so it's just boring.

Also, one of them teleported into a wall. Seems like that's a more widespread problem than I originally thought.

Moving on to the lower levels, we run into more enemies that can actually deal some damage, but it's still in small, manageable amounts, and nothing to really worry about.

We run into the place where Heather should get killed, but no cutscene plays, and there's no Heather. The Sabbat don't know where she went, either. Bollocks.

The fat bastard hits with that slowing attack, which sends Victoria into a frenzy just as the last shots kill the fat bastard. I'm not sure what exactly was working in tandem here, but the result of the situation is that the slowing effect never went away.

At least with the companions being warped down, they finally get off their rear end and do something.

After a fair bit of slow-rear end trudging, I get the idea of possessing a companion and then going back, which actually does fix the issue, though it still leaves the screen effect, but that should go away after a level transition, which is coming up soon.

The "boss" here is even more pathetic than before, it seems, because he now summons skeletons that don't do a loving thing while I stand in one place and shoot the guy in the rear end repeatedly.

Andrei's dialogue is unchanged...

...as is the boss fight. I think. At least he still hits like a truck and still jumps into the blood-water and surfaces somewhere else. He still goes down without much trouble thanks to the grenade launcher.

So, with that done, we're off to the Griffith Park seg- ...hang on, this is different. Why are we exiting out of a pipe and not the doors?

...this is new.

There's a computer here. "Directive" gives us the following: "Due to the increasing incidences of injury and to prevent entry of strangers and animals into the LA sewers, we now keep compliance with all security standards." "Office door", locked behind the password "freaky", allows us to open a door. I guess it'll be one of the doors coming up. Finally, "warning", locked behind the password "nasty", gives us the following: "All LADWP employees of Area A9 must not switch on all the pumps and open all the valves at the same time. It can lead to a malfunction of the electrical system, including the security system, in all sections of LADWP area A9." I didn't actually get to read the warning while I was playing through, since it was behind a Hacking 9 lock and I hadn't started cheating for stats yet (though that will come fairly soon). I only went back to check afterwards, which explains a particular contraption I ran into.

...hang on a second.

quote:

"Due to the increasing incidences of injury and to prevent entry of strangers and animals into the LA sewers, we now keep compliance with all security standards."

quote:

the LA sewers

quote:

the LA sewers

Oh god.

OH GOD.

THEY MADE THEIR OWN SEWER SECTION. DEAR GOD, WHAT HAVE THESE MODDERS WROUGHT?

Video footage of the next section that you should probably watch to get the full Antitribu Mod Sewers V2 Experience. Watch to the end for the surprise twist ending. Note: No audio because I record all of this stuff without sound, since I'll be listening to my own music while playing instead, and I'd probably get copyright hits for that. Also, I have no idea why it's so dark. It looked fine before I uploaded it, pretty much like the footage I take screenshots from, just a bit lower res since I'm no longer directly uploading Lagarith footage. Set it to 480p, it helps a bit. Also, play your own music while watching, it's authentic!

Ugh. So we have the same poo poo again. lovely loving puzzles, lovely loving Geodudes, lovely loving map design. Isn't this just a grand old adventure?

And what's the first thing we run into? A whole bunch of poo poo stacked up for us to throw away. That's literally it.

I pick the poo poo up, and I throw it away. That's the entire extent of this "puzzle". Riveting loving gameplay. There's not even any threats around. There's like two Geodudes and that's it. What a dumb design.

We see this loving setpiece again - the two doors in the sewers. What do you want to bet that the right door is an office, and the left door is a storage room?

The right door is indeed the same loving office (I presume this is the "office door" we unlocked with the computer). The only interesting bits are this telephone, which gives a strange message...

...and this set of fuses, which I presume I'm going to have to carry around through the entire god drat level because fetch quests are SO MUCH FUN.

As for the left door...

Wha-

poo poo. And that's literally everything that's in that room - an exploding zombie, and that's it. loving marvelous. "Haha, and now we'll take half the player's health away because that's loving funny as poo poo!" Assholes.

Surprisingly enough, we quickly make it to the keypad, and the code is easily enough worked out (since there's two 1s and two 0s in there, it's just a matter of trying) as 1010. Could this segment be not as much of a pain in the rear end as I thought it was?

Guess that's a "no".

This is Jenny. Jenny is apparently a "shocked head". I have no idea what that means. When we blow her up with a grenade launcher because of course that's what we do, we get a quest message that tells us we just killed "Jenny, head priest of the Dogs of War". I have no idea what that means. There's a sourcebook for the World of Darkness that's called Dogs of War, but that's about the military, and head priests wielding guns and casting magic are decidedly un-military. So I have no idea what the gently caress this poo poo is. Apparently, Jenny will be a character that plays a larger role in the new story that will eventually come when this mod is more developed. I will not be sticking around to see when or even if that happens.

At this point, we backtrack, because I recall seeing another part of this sewer section, and it leads to an area with some switches...

...and some valves. So this would be what we would use to bypass the keypad if one couldn't work out the password for some reason. Of course, since I already bypassed the keypad, I just switched and turned these things and ended up very confused as to their actual purpose until I went and checked that terminal with boosted Hacking.

So instead, I just carry the fuses around, and the only way forward is through this pipe. The pipe leads to a level transition, and the transition leads to...

...hang on, I know this place.

Oh my god, this is the library level basement. You know, the one that the unofficial patch added? The last thing gatz went through before I took over the LP?

Well, this note is new.

Otherwise, still the same, with the stack of movable boxes and all. Jam fuse into fuse box (I guess it's a vacuum tube, but gently caress it, it's a fuse box puzzle), elevator starts going.

And yup, sure enough, it brings us to the first area of the library. That's odd, why are we here all of a sudden? Did they just decide they had to use this, and yet not use the quest that came with it?

And sure enough, the door is locked. Key, key... hidden under a plant. Plant... where the gently caress were there any plants?

Wait, those plants? How the gently caress am I supposed to get up there? Is there a door or something? Wait, those ledges are marked with the Inspection sparkle. But I can't get up those either. ...wait a second.

quote:

Otherwise, still the same, with the stack of movable boxes and all. Jam fuse into fuse box (I guess it's a vacuum tube, but gently caress it, it's a fuse box puzzle), elevator starts going.

quote:

with the stack of movable boxes and all

quote:

movable boxes

OH MY GOD THEY ADDED A loving BOX STACKING PUZZLE ARE YOU loving making GBS threads ME HERE

Video footage of the next session that you should probably watch for the full experience. Again, no sound. This time, the darkness isn't quite as bad!

So yeah, now we backtrack to the cellar, grabbing all the boxes we can...

...getting aggravated by the fact that the elevator closes way to god-drat fast to make this a reasonable thing to do...

...getting companions stuck in the elevator and needing to mess around with them just to get it to move...

...then repeating the process on the higher level...

...attempting to stack that poo poo, fighting against the annoying box physics all the while...

...SOMEHOW making it on top the first ledge...

...making some very dicey jumps (and sometimes not making them)...

...until we FINALLY get that lovely loving key.

And FINALLY we can enter this stupid loving library.

The only interesting thing is "art's fair", and that's locked behind a Hacking 9 check...

...so gently caress it, cheating it is. I want to see what's behind that one.

And it just unlocks some doors. Marvelous.

The library area has nothing much interesting, some skill books we can't read...

...this magazine, which I've never seen before. I can't read that third paragraph - "they've done it again with Vam-"? You'd think that would say Vampire, but I just can't see that.

Zooming in further doesn't really help when the texture is so low-res to begin with.

And once we grab the library card, this Tzimicse (sic) creation pops out and attacks us, though it only gets stuck fighting Edward and getting shot to bits by Victoria and Yukie. Boss killed, I guess?

Coming into the art gallery, we're immediately assaulted by nothing. Turns out that there's a few vases in here that have that poltergeist thing going. Also note that all the paintings are sparkling.

We have to slash them all up.

Because that unlocks this door. Because OF loving COURSE THAT'S HOW THAT WORKS.

Then we use the library card...

...to directly open the secret passage. So you remove one stupid thing but add another one. Guess you can't take the dumb out of this mod, only relocate it. The passage leads us down to the spooky cavern.

Down there, we find somebody doing some sort of a ritual.

The ritual seems to be summoning this thing.

But then somebody shoots a Dragon's Breath round at it!

And it doesn't like that at all, so it burns up the one doing the ritual.

And now we get to fight this thing.

First of all, we can't actually harm it, so we need to stand near these pillars while it summons some lightning attack, which then destroys the pillar. We repeat that for all the pillars.

Also, we need to be moving around during the standing near the pillar, because if you don't move, the lightning can oneshot you.

Now that we can attack this thing, it gets a lifebar and a name. Of course, this is something the devs made up. Here's some more info on this character: http://bloodlinesantitribu.com/army-of-the-dead-the-lich-devourer-of-sanity/75491/

Note that the lich never uses Necromancy in this fight.

Instead, I do, and it completely murders him. Kind of a disappointing end for the Devourer of Sanity, but joke's on him, I'm already out of sanity to be devoured thanks to the rest of this loving mod.

He gets a dramatic death scene...

...and drops this thing. Essentially, from what I can tell, it's a sword that can do some sort of force push thing with the alt-attack, which causes damage to you. Hardly all that extraordinary, but I guess it's kind of neat. We take the portal...

...and it drops us off right into the dialogue with Ming-Xiao as if nothing happened.

I guess that's enough for this time. Next time, we're finishing this poo poo. It's Griffith Park, Blood Hunt, Chinatown and Venture Towers all in one clean shot, so I can finally wash my hands of this poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well now that you have the Soul Reaver you can just paradox all your enemies out of existence.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 6, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whose idea was it to call that ammo ".30 Short Russian"? Literally nobody calls it that, ever.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I renounce this mod.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Your suffering gives me joy.

Carry on.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
...this mod in general has made me hate this game, but the bullshit I saw in the latest update has me now uninstalling the entire game. Who the Hell thought any of this was a good idea? This can't even be put under challenging combat or whatever else the mod's bragging about! Like have the mod developers never played any other games and thought "Oh hey I'll stuff an exploding zombie in a closet you have to purposefully open with no reward, that seems like a good idea!"

What the Hell is it with modders adding tedious bullshit to games?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mountain Lightning posted:

...this mod in general has made me hate this game, but the bullshit I saw in the latest update has me now uninstalling the entire game. Who the Hell thought any of this was a good idea? This can't even be put under challenging combat or whatever else the mod's bragging about! Like have the mod developers never played any other games and thought "Oh hey I'll stuff an exploding zombie in a closet you have to purposefully open with no reward, that seems like a good idea!"

What the Hell is it with modders adding tedious bullshit to games?

When I finally get to finish this LP, which I hope will be tomorrow, I will need to get the gently caress away from Bloodlines for a long time, because it's seriously threatening to harm my love of the original. I mean, I'm not helping, cruising through all the good things that still remain (original story, voiceacting, etc.), but let's face it, with the crap they keep shoving in my face, I can't stop to enjoy the nice things because I know the terrible things are just around the corner and am constantly dreading whatever comes next.

At least I have a game lined up to LP that is very far removed from vampires of any kind as a palette cleanser before I jump back into vampire games with Vampires Dawn. That's going to be nice.

Oh, right, I guess I didn't mention this before, but I'm calling off finishing Bloodlines Mysteries for the sake of my sanity. Like I said, need to get away from the game as soon as possible and just not have anything to do with it for a long time.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
That's the soul reaver from the Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain video games. Which is about time traveling fantasy vampire monsters. Which, now that I think about it, has some similarity with World of Darkness in that both setting's vampires are a cross between comic book super heroes and Dungeons and Dragons monsters. Still, it's basically equivalent to getting a bright red cap with an "M" on it that the game labels a "Plumber's Cap".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So much clusterfuckery.
It's beautiful, if only because I'm not the one having to slog through that mess.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

...this magazine, which I've never seen before. I can't read that third paragraph - "they've done it again with Vam-"? You'd think that would say Vampire, but I just can't see that.

Zooming in further doesn't really help when the texture is so low-res to begin with.

It looks like it says 'vampire', except the bottom half of the word is cut off.

You'd think they'd put more effort into the unique magazine texture they probably consider a 'reward' for getting into that room, but who am I kidding, they probably focused entirely on the pixelbutt.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Amazing gameplay of just shoving a whole bunch of random and unrelated crap in a linear fashion. Good job morons. :downs:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, let's get this over with ASAP. Ming-Xiao gets told to gently caress off...

...we stock up on ammo and swap out the Dragon's Breath for a submachine gun that has a bit more damage potential for the amount of ammo we can carry...

...LaCroix is still foppy and sends us off to the Anarchs...

...Beckett is being mysterious...

...and Jack sends us off to Griffith Park. So we head there...

...and immediately run into this Elvis-impersonator looking motherfucker.

Apparently, this guy is the leader of a gang that we shot up in a garage? So I guess that was during Fat Larry's quest? poo poo, man, I just don't loving know. Note the rare usage of "gay" as a singular noun that is falling out of usage because calling somebody "a gay" just sounds dumb. And really, if you're at this point, just call him a fag. You know you want to do that, so just loving do it. I don't even give a crap anymore.

And the fight is on! This one is actually really easy, because the enemies stay clustered, don't really move and are all busy shooting at Edward.

So I can just do this and kill them all in one clean shot. Handy.

The ride up becomes a bit of a problem, combined with the automatic companion-warps-to-you thing. When it's only Edward, it's not too much of a problem, the tram still goes just fine...

...but when Yukie teleports in at the same location, everything just locks up. Somehow, and I don't know how, Edward then warped to the right a bit after about thirty seconds, allowing the tram to continue up.

And the killer? When we get to the top, the companions disappear, presumably as to not interfere with the werewolf. loving brilliant.

Speaking of the werewolf, he's a motherfucker. Why is he a motherfucker? Simple - one thing has been changed about him.

He's much faster. This essentially guarantees that on a flat surface, it becomes literally impossible to keep him off your rear end and you will be constantly losing health. Even the healing factor doesn't help much, since it's aggravated damage that heals a lot slower than he can dish it out. Pretty much the only respite you get is when he has to bust through a door or something like that, since that's still the same animation as in vanilla, which goes slower than the turbo-speed he now brings to the table.

It also becomes a lot harder to lure him in for the kill. He seems just happy to continually pace back and forth and not actually come in, but still claw the poo poo out of you should you step outside.

However, persistence pays off, and eventually, even the super-werewolf gets squashed.

And to cap off the poo poo, the companions reappear in the tram once we re-transition to the other map, and Yukie ends up blocking the tram from proceeding by clipping outside and catching herself against some pole, so I have to send her back to the haven.

Jack drops us off at the Santa Monica haven, and god drat, things have gotten crowded in here. However, Yukie isn't here - she somehow ended up disappearing in the shuffle, I guess? She's with Heather now, playing around in some sort of ethereal void. We grab VV to compensate.

Also, I find the Jock Shot video in the fridge. I've been looking all over for that! Well, it's too late to drop it off now.

Now, the blood hunt. This is where things get a bit interesting. You might notice that there's something a bit off with the above screenshot - the path to the right is blocked off. This doesn't quite show just what happened with the blood hunt, but essentially, they added even more roadblocks, which means you're taking the most winding path you could possibly take apart from getting completely ridiculous, of course with the goal being to shove you through more combat encounters.

Amongst others, we run into this Samedi here who apparently decided that sword and shield were the new way for vampires to go into combat. It didn't exactly turn out to be a wise choice. In general, the combat in this section isn't all too tough...

...at least until we run into the guy with the Dragon's Breath that just kills poo poo dead.

On the way back, I decide to give the Soul Reaver a shot. The special attack is just a knockback thing that deals some damage to you as well as the enemies. Not exactly useful. Also, it makes light saber noises. I poo poo you not. What the gently caress were they thinking with this?

After dealing with the Dragon's Breath guy, we run into this gate you can't crawl under.

And the switch to open it is right behind you. Why is this here? Is it just supposed to make it harder to sneak through this section and just make it more likely you get into combat?

Next up, for some reason, is a gargoyle. It doesn't get a health bar like any other boss, but it takes ages to go down and when it does, we get experience points and a quest log mention that we killed it, so I guess it's a boss?

Finally, when we approach the taxi, some guy pops in out of nowhere...

...and the tanker drives away. It finally comes full circle? What the gently caress is going on here?

Anyway, we jump into the cab and head down the independent ending road for obvious reasons. We stop by Mercurio's to stock up on ammo and then we're off to Chinatown.

So, the Ming-Xiao endgame level. What is there to say about it? No, really, what is there to say about it? It's a boring slog with a whole loving bunch of enemies, and the level layout is confusing - at least I always get lost in the first part of the temple.

The Antitribu Mod version largely only has more enemies, as is to be expected. There's some special enemies occasionally, like this ninja with Potence that can actually do some pretty good damage, but they're few and far between.

Beyond that, it's largely just shooting dudes. Shooting dudes in the courtyard...

...and shooting dudes in the temple. We can skip all the way to the jade statue puzzle room thing and not actually miss anything interesting happening.

Well, apart from the part where one of the statues I was pushing around to weigh down the pressure plates flipped its poo poo and was sort of stuck in a state between weighing it down and not weighing it down while clipping through the floor. I didn't stick around to watch, I didn't want to have to bust out noclip again, so once I made it into that staircase, I was gone. So, what happens when we reach the next part?

Fire dude!

Now we get to fight The Scorpion Eater, a ninja in yellow with a skull head that uses fire powers. God drat that's creative.

He's also accompanied by a bunch of annoying ninjas, so the fight takes longer than it really should and ends up wasting a lot of ammo.

Also, we get to fight the invisible man or something. It's some pants with hair floating in the air, you tell me what it is.

Getting the jade statues turns out to be a bit of an issue, since the four guards are all carrying Dragon's Breaths, but still, nothing too much to worry about.

One strange change is that you no longer put the statues in your inventory. Instead, they're grabbable items that you just carry around, and when you bring them to the right pedestal in the main room, they instantly lock into place. I'm undecided on whether this is better or not, but I know it's a strange change to make.

So, Ming-Xiao. She... wasn't much of a problem. It's odd to say this, but somehow, I didn't have a problem. I unloaded the entirety of the grenade launcher rounds I had without being interfered with, and when that wasn't enough to put her down, I just laid down fire with the AK-47 and cleaned her off the plate. How strange. Oh well, not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, let's hustle on and bring this to a close.

Now, to get some more ammo... hang on. We can't get to Mercurio's or Trip's anymore. Well, balls, this is going to be an issue going forward. Oh well, off to Venture Towers we go.

Have I drawn attention to Chunk's yellow eyes yet? Because has yellow eyes. I don't know why, but he does.

The assortment of cops has been replaced with guys in football gear in lieu of actual riot gear, and none of them actually have guns, which sort of defangs this first wave of enemies.

We open the elevator, and instead of an elevator, we get a grenade dropping down, which is just fantastic.

Instead, we need to head to the Nosferatu entrance and climb up a ladder...

...from which we can jump to the elevator that we would have taken in vanilla, which brings us to the next section, which is the same as in vanilla. In fact, pretty much nothing is changed beyond "more enemies" up to the Sheriff, so let's just jump to him, because gently caress it.

Well, before that, we need to dismiss our companions because again, they clipped into the thing that was transporting us and locked it up.

So, the Sheriff. He actually has been changed substantially in this mod.

Essentially, he switches between the two levels of the room by jumping up and down and doing some AOE attack, and he has both a gun and a melee attack with his hands.

He also has the same teleporting capability he had in vanilla, so if you hit him, he'll just go poof and appear behind you.

However, herein lies the crux of the problem with this incarnation of the Sheriff: His movement was changed. From what I can tell, he moves like the werewolf, but at normal werewolf speed. This, combined with a sluggish melee attack with his hands, means that he's INFINITELY easier to dodge than the vanilla version. And as such, he gets gunned down without much issue.

The second form also doesn't put up much of a fight, the two times it goes down from the spotlights give enough time to take it down with concentrated fire.

And that's it! No special boss at the end, no changes to the ending, nothing else! The mod is finished! This is how it ends - it comes in like a hurricane, kicks me in the balls so many times I don't believe I still have any, and then goes out like a wet fart with nothing much special. So I guess since we're done now, I should give a complete rundown of what I think about this mod, sort of a recap:

• To start off, the groundwork laid with the different clans makes for interesting gameplay. Things like Necromancy open up new options for going forward in combat, and it puts a new spin on the gameplay. This is a good thing.
  • However, the new options come at a cost, and the combat rebalance essentially fucks the entire game squarely in the earhole. Combat difficulty is completely wacked out and forces the player into speccing for combat or risking getting stuck with an encounter they can't get past.
  • The sound design is questionable at best and loving laughable at worst. The musical choices are all over the place, and the sound choices are weird.
  • The graphical changes are similar. Changes like what happened to Knox are just baffling in their unnecessariness.
  • The mod claims that it does well in bringing in materials from the WoD, but really, it just throws in poo poo left and right for no particular reason, though I presume it's largely to pad out the combat encounters.
  • WHY THE gently caress IS GROUT'S WIFE A BOSS FIGHT? WHY THE gently caress DID YOU ADD PLATFORMING TO THE GAME? WHY WOULD YOU ADD FETCH QUESTS TO THE loving SEWERS? WHY WOULD YOU ADD MORE SEWER SECTIONS? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?
  • In closing, I can not not recommend this mod enough. I can not condemn this mod enough. I despise it. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The lead developer has quit, and given development to other assorted modders. I have no idea if this is good or not, but things can hardly get much worse at this point. However, I will not be keeping up with development, because I have had enough. I might be giving it an unjust trial here by harping on an unfinished mod, but if it's unfinished, they shouldn't have put it out as version 1.X.

gently caress THIS MOD, PEACE OUT BITCHES, I'M FREEEEEEEE

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, with that done, I'm going to call this LP complete. It's been a long ride, but it's over now. Like I mentioned earlier, I won't be continuing Bloodlines Mysteries and will probably be omitting it when submitting the thread for the archives, because quite frankly, the less I have to do with Bloodlines in the next months, the better, and I'll be putting together the submission to send to Baldurk over the next few days.

Once more, I just want to say "thank you" to everybody that participated in the thread, everybody that decided Melissa's fate, all the loremasters around to set little old me straight when I said dumb things, everybody giving their support during the Antitribu run, and of course, a big shoutout to gatz, since without him, we wouldn't be here, and he did a splendid job LPing the game before I had to take over due to real life things happening. Wherever you are, it's been an honor to finish what you started, and I hope you're happy with what I put out.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what I'm going to be LPing next, but I know that it has to be something that doesn't involve vampires. I think I have something that would work out fine, though, so look forward to whenever I get that going.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
You are a goddamn hero, TheMcD. This thread has been one hell of a ride.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
And that's a wrap. Holy poo poo.

You're a hell of an LPer. Your persistence is baffling and slightly worrisome, but goddamn, you actually did it. I will always remember coming to the section where you fight Grout's wife, and laughing so hard I started crying. Good times.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
You are the hero we deserve. Now go play kotor 2 instead so you feel better.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
Wow. This mod. God drat. Thanks for this.

Also thanks both of you for lping the vanilla game, and all the great discussion that had!

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
I have very many loves for TheMcD. Nobody deserves this. Yet, we're all better off for it.

Thanks to Gatz, too, I've followed every update and loved them all. Best luck to whatever each of you do next.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Brilliant by both Gatz and McD, without you I would not know that someone in the world decided that grout's wife should be a bossfight which is absolutely hilarious.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This LP left you like a naked baby in the woods, how 'bout that? Someone shoulda' showed you the ropes, kiddo.

At least we'll always have Mel Gibson's Haunted Blowjob Mansion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And with a mighty effort, TheMcD levels off the top of the mountain and leaves the boulder behind.

I am -- but should not be -- truly amazed and astonished by this turd. God, imagine how much high-fiving there must have been before the inevitable drama implosion.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Bonus sewer level and Mrs. Grout boss fight are probably peak wtf, but the whole mod is batshit. You have the patience of a saint, nice job.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Wow. Go take a break and play an actually good game. Youve earned it, man. This mod is godawful

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It was one hell of a crazy ride.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The strange thing is, the Clan Quest Mod has quite a few of these elements, but none of the bullshit stupid bits like the second sewer level (:psyduck:). Hell, I'd say that the CQM makes the game a lot more fun, and I really can't think of playing the game again without it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where are you going come back and do the other endings!

...is what I'd say, but gently caress this. You've suffered enough.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Nice job, man. It's been a long ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I hope at some point someone just uploads a version of the mod that only includes the clan/discipline changes and that's it. I wouldn't mind having a new set of powers to play with on my next playthrough, but you couldn't pay me enough to gently caress with most of the other "improvements."

Also lol at "600 new characters" in the description on the website.

• Locked thread