Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've played as Malkavian and Gangrel, so I'm throwing a vote on the pile for female Ventrue. Name suggestion: Xena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

Can I ask the thread a question? Do people prefer 1024x768 or 800x600 screenshot size?

800x600 is probably large enough, especially if there are a lot of images all at once as in the last update.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Your sire looks like the Prince; is this significant?

I think it's the male Ventrue player character model. IIRC you just get the opposite sex player model for whichever clan you chose.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

So if the Prince really did extemp this whole thing, I guess checking up on Mercutio was just some random bit of unimportant scutwork he fobbed off on us?

I've always assumed it was just something he had on his to-do list and if the player hadn't come along it would have been someone else sent to do it. That just happened to be a thing that he figured was probably simple enough for the new guy to do.

Thesaya posted:

Also, this game was my introduction to WoD, and I played as a Malk. Every time. I started play throughs with other clans, but lost interest quickly. Unfortunately, I have never finished this game. I loved being able to sneak your way through in the first bits if you, like me, don't want to fight everyone and everything, unfortunately as the game progressed I feel your alternatives were limited for each big "end of the chapter" thing. And, eventually, at the end, in two of my play through a my character build made it close to, if not actually impossible to beat the end stage, in the third, actually making a character build to avoid that, I didn't manage to get past another point of the end game.

I only managed to finish the game by playing as a Gangrel (for the insane combat advantage), using the mod that lets you force other vampires to join you (so I could use other powers when appropriate) and in the final boss fight just god moding because gently caress that, that was way too hard.

Rockopolis posted:

Okay, I can see the Prince's angle in this. He wants to get rid of a rival (possibly, assuming your sire was someone of consequence), assert his authority and foil rival factions, possibly get himself a new catspaw without having to Embrace someone.

But what about your sire? What was their angle? Were they just someone else's pawn or ally?
What was the plan, assuming you didn't have the Prince's men listening at the door? Pass you around a bit to try and launder you? Keep you secret and train you in the ways of Mary Sue to be their vampire?

Given that no one ever mentions your sire after the execution, I've assumed they were just some dipshit who decided to make a new vampire without permission and not part of anyone's plans. I may have missed something though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Romeo Charlie posted:

But I think we can all agree that the best way to kill enemies is the stealth kill.

I dunno, I found the best way was to be playing as a Gangrel, activate Protean and just go on a mad rampage until everything stops moving. The only thing you have to worry about is when you get down to the last guy it's handy to drain him to death instead of tearing him apart because that way you'll never run out of blood. Doesn't work quite as well when there are no humans around, but if you conserve your portable blood supplies you don't need to worry so much about those situations either.

The best thing about Protean though is the +1 Wits, which means that doing some tricky computer hacking generally involves turning your hands into claws. Apparently this doesn't hinder typing at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mortons stork posted:

How does the whole 'monster who takes life force from others against their will' jive with Humanity? Especially how would it work with humanity 10? I understand a mass murderer, a thief wouldn't much bat an eye at that, but a living saint I'd imagine would have to act like a Salubri (who only take blood from willing vessels IIRC).

Would a living saint really have that much difficulty finding willing donors? At that point they've basically got to be impressing even people who only meet them briefly with how incredibly good they are. They'd have to have admirers who would be more than willing to help out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EphemeralToast posted:

I think that we should just be nice to the poor dumb thin-blooded vampire. That is a useful vote to make, right? :unsmith:

Yeah, ripping him off and sending him to go try to take on a much more powerful vampire seems particularly cruel. You might as well just kill him on the spot and get it over with.

Of the options presented, I say go with the president.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TINA TURNER posted:

Even VtM modding stories sound like WoD lore.

It's almost like the guy who's spent almost ten years obsessively attempting to fix a video game might be a little bit weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EphemeralToast posted:

I've never played the game and know nothing about the setting. And honestly I don't even like vampire fiction. But I'm still enjoying the LP--Gatz is giving enough information that it's not too confusing so far, but I admit I'm not following 90% of the thread because I have no idea what anyone is talking about and also it looks like a CIA document. I'm just enjoying seeing a somewhat open-world game that seems to reward a subtle playstyle as much as shooting all the mans.

I have played the game and most of what people are talking about in the thread is P&P RPG stuff, so I still don't know what they're talking about. I do love it though, because I really love dipping into very deep fantasy universes. If you get too far in you start noticing all the cracks and it stops working, but at this level you can really appreciate the insanity of it all because you're not invested.

Kanthulhu posted:

I've played the game before, I have played OWoD before (both Vampire and Werewolf) but you still don't see me posting spoilery stuff all over the thread.

Here, let me spoil something so I don't feel left out: Brujahs are cool. Hope that helps.

Here, I'll spoil something too: You don't need to know the backstory because the whole World of Darkness setting is about huge multi-layered conspiracies and you're not supposed to know what's going on. If you ever get to the bottom of anything it will be disappointing, the fun is in the hints and speculation and the little bits if plot you get from other people who've slogged through the details.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CrazySalamander posted:

As far as I know it's the same reason Magic: The Gathering devs often use she to refer to the player in their articles: to try not to alienate 50% of their possible player base.

Articles by the MtG devs about how they'd love it if more women played the game and what can be done to get girls to play and all that are hilarious given that so much of the marketing and promotional material basically makes it look like Tits: the Boobening and the most visible elements of the player base are just the worst of the shut-in nerd Nice Guy stereotype.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The English gender-neutral noun is not permissible when speaking about human beings, "they" is grammatically incorrect when referring to singular individuals, "he or she," "he/she," and "s/he" are unwieldy and use up valuable page space, and using "he" alone for hypothetical individuals is sexist. The best compromise I've seen is to trade off between "he" and "she" between book sections.

Using "they" is totally fine in most situations, as long as you write in such a way as to make it clear that you're talking about an individual. I prefer "s/he", though you still use "them" and "their" rather than "him/her" and "his/hers".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

Let's talk about vampire fiction

There is also Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I haven't read.

I found it worth reading from the perspective of "this is an influential story", but on its own merits, well, you already know the story, don't you? There's no novelty in it.

I remember enjoying Interview With the Vampire, but I was a teenager when I read it so who knows. I still like the movie. I tried reading a couple of others in the series and they weren't great.

I read Ballet of Blood quite recently, which reminded me a bit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural, so if you like those it's worth the 99˘ it costs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm curious about the experience of people who had no familiarity with WoD when they first played Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Did you feel like the game gave you a pretty good introduction to the setting, or were you overwhelmed with ":wtc: are all these different clans/factions/terms" at any point?

I had never played or read anything of WoD before I played Bloodlines, and I did the quiz to have it select my clan for me and got Malkavian, and I still had no trouble following it. I gave up when I got to the sewer bit, but just because I was completely unprepared for combat, the plot was clear enough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I feel that statement comes with one hell of a caveat: WoD is awesome if the DM and players are willing to work to make it so.

Any good RPG can be turned into a bad RPG by the wrong people playing it. And most RPGs can be fun if the right people are playing them. Some are going to be a lot more work to make fun, but it's always pretty easy to ruin them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm glad to hear that it worked well for those of you who weren't familiar with WoD before you played Bloodlines. Kudos to Tiggum for having any idea what was going on in the plot with a Malkavian PC for your first run!

I think people really over-estimate the difficulty of playing as Malkavian. NPCs generally have a couple of unique responses to Malkavian dialogue but mostly just like what you're saying makes perfect sense, so most of the information you get from NPCs is the same as it would have been anyway.

I'd also assumed that playing as Nosferatu would be pretty difficult, but tried it out recently and was really disappointed with how little it actually effects anything at all. You don't even have to sneak around, no one notices you're a hideous monster unless you're right in front of them and they're looking right at you. And of course plot-essential NPCs will still talk to you and give you whatever you need from them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Also, it makes sense that vampire NPCs wouldn't give as much of a poo poo about how ugly a Nossie is, since they at least know what the deformed monster in front of them is (and how it's useful to them). I can't remember what happens when you try to talk to essential human NPCs--do they still not react differently? Is that what you meant?

Same as Malkavian, there's some altered dialogue, but mostly it's the same and you still get all the information.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

The hotel is as far as the last thread got with this game, or maybe the mission after? Either way, I'm pulling towards that so you can just get it out of the way and get on with the rest of the game as I remember people saying the hotel was kind of a slog at times.

The hotel does maybe drag on just a little bit too long, but it is one of the best bits of the game, and is actually genuinely frightening in places. It's one of my favourite bits of any video game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh my god, you missed the best bit! Before you try to climb the staircase you can explore the ground floor a little bit. Down one corridor you'll find nothing but locked doors, but as you get near the end the girl's voice behind you whispers "He's coming!". You turn around and there's a guy with an axe standing there, but just for a moment before he fades away. Like everything else in this location, it's really well done.

When I was actually playing it I found the ghost throwing stuff at you pretty annoying, because it's really hard to dodge, but I must admit that I can see why they did it, it is very effective in establishing the ghost as angry and hostile. And the bit when you get into the kitchen and the ghost just goes nuts throwing everything everywhere is excellent.

I don't know how well it comes across in video form for those who haven't played it, but those bits where a light shatters as you get near it or the clock chimes as you walk past are the best kind of jump scares, because not only do they startle you but they also build the atmosphere and give you a deeper sense that there really is something there that wants to harm you, and you're constantly wondering whether the next jump scare is actually going to be something attacking you.

Also, since you very wisely avoided touching it, I'll just mention that that blue ghostly fire will definitely burn you and it really hurts. I'm not sure if it's instadeath or if it just does a lot of damage, but touching it is a really bad idea.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Though debris and the spectral fire cause damage, the fact that you're basically immortal seems to diminish the sense of ultimate danger.

To be fair, you're a very new vampire with basically no idea what ghosts can and can't do, and there are a couple of spots in the hotel where you can die very easily. That falling lift is one, and the spectral fire can get you if you don't stop in time when it appears in front of you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

The Cathayan

Wikipedia posted:

Cathay is the Anglicized version of "Catai" and an alternative name for China in English. It originates from the word Khitan (Chinese: 契丹, Qědān), the name of a nomadic people who founded the Liao Dynasty which ruled much of Northern China from 907 to 1125, and who later migrated west after they were overthrown by the Jurchens to form the Kara-Khitan Khanate centered on today's Kyrgyzstan for another century thereafter.

Originally, Catai was the name applied by Central and Western Asians and Europeans to northern China; it obtained wide currency in Europe after the publication of Marco Polo's book (he referred to southern China as Manji). For centuries Cathay and China were believed by Europeans to be distinct nations with distinct cultures. However, by the late 1600s Europeans had mostly become aware that these were in fact the same nation.

Also, I'd like to see Vandal's sidequest. If it has some negative consequence you could just save before it and reload after.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

Do we side with Therese, Jeanette, or try to get them to make peace with each other?

Another vote for making peace.

Tehan posted:

I can't remember if it's ever explicitly stated, but it's widely assumed that Jeanette and Therese are (a?) Malkavian

I can't remember for sure, but I think Jeanette specifically confirms this if the player is also a Malkavian.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Amnistar posted:

That's one interpretation. Another is that they were both alive and grew up as kids together, explaining the painting, and when one got turned, the other died and because she snapped she 'saved' her sister by creating the multiple personality.

I've always assumed that it was more-or-less this. The two were sisters, they were abused by their father, Jeanette died (possibly killed by the father), Therese became a vampire and her Malkavian madness turned out to be dissociative identity disorder manifesting as her dead sister. However I haven't seen the Tourette dialogue, and the Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines wiki suggests that Jeanette never actually existed, so the painting must have been commissioned by Therese after becoming a vampire rather than painted when she was a child.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

My favorite way to deal with the cop guarding the art gallery is to use Dominate on him too. After ordering him to unlock the door, you send him to go dancing and the next time you head to the Asylum you will find that he complied with that order too:

Hahaha, that's excellent. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

I really, really dislike Sabbat, because they are pretty much walking Masquarade violations, to the point that it seems strange no one discovered vampires yet. Creating shovelheads involves mass kidnapping, Embracing their victims and burying them on the graveyard. The ones strong enough to dig their way up are used as foot soldiers. As Jack mentioned earlier, they are told almost nothing or outright deceived about the extent of their powers.

Even if no one is interested enough in a dozen people going missing at the same time, given the shovelheads usual subtlety, it's pretty much given at least one of them is going to draw some attention. Obviously, Camarilla can cover things up, but they are not omnipotent enough to babysit a bunch of psychotic freaks who hate them.

This issue comes up in basically every vampire story except those in which it's limited to a very small number of vampires (like Dracula). You've just got to assume that in this world people have just gotten used to the idea that random disappearances and gruesome murders are facts of everyday life, and vampires aren't exactly plausible to begin with so what's a little bit more suspension of disbelief?

Your other option is simply to assume that whenever something doesn't make sense, a wizard did it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PFlats posted:

Oh I agree, this is far from the worst. But why not throw you into combat right out of the loading screen and let you get smacked right down in-engine, then play the cutscene?

That would be far, far worse. Fights you're forced to play but scripted to lose are one of the things video games keep doing that should never, ever happen. At best it's frustrating, at worst you use up a bunch of supplies trying to win an unwinnable fight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My vote is for the two-faced comment and for being neutral to LaCroix.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PureRok posted:

I have to play a Ventrue every time I play just because of their last set of clothing. Equipment Spoilers: Male / Female

Edit: Since I've got these laying around from when I did an LP of this game 4 years ago, here's the clothing for all of the other clans (except Nosferatu and Tremere, I guess I didn't make any images for them.).

Brujah: Male / Female
Gangrel: Male / Female
Malkavian: Male / Female :nws: maybe
Toreador: Male / Female

I love the fact that the Malkavian male seems to have thought he was in Saints Row. Brujah and Gangrel are just really boring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Glad to provide them. Later I'll have a fun one about the plausibility of sewers in video game settings!

From what I recall, the ones in this game are some of the most bizarre and impractical I've seen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheMcD posted:

What happens if a vamp cuts off the supply of vitae for a ghoul, anyway?

I believe the answer given earlier in the thread was that the ghoul rapidly ages to whatever they would naturally be if they hadn't been a ghoul, so if they've passed their normal human lifespan then they die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

[Listen] Heard Nines saved your rear end again. You think LaCroix would've stopped counting his money long enough to get your back, jack?

Her voice is pretty annoying.

Just got to say, I rally hate the way people in this game say "LaCroix". It's not pronounced that way!

gatz posted:

I'm not buying the 'den mother' part.

Yeah, Damsel really seems like she'd be the sort who thinks she's a lot more popular and important than she is but is actually just tolerated by the others.

gatz posted:

We're about passion, Cammy, and freedom... things most Camarilla types just can't understand. I could go on and on... but Skelter says it takes too long to get me off my soapbox. Ask him, or even Jack.

You can just imagine people sitting there rolling their eyes while she rants about stuff that basically everyone listening already knows or actually has a better understanding of than her anyway.

gatz posted:

Well, we've got three new quests to do, and I'm going to ask the thread about which we should do first.

Do we try to stop plague? Our first stop will be back to the skyline apartments, but then there's always the homeless people we can ask.

Do we silence Patty the ghoul? She's a masquerade violation waiting to happen. Fat Larry did say he'd give a good word to one of the owners of a club, here in downtown LA. If Patty is in that club, we might find another job to do in the same place.

Do we look into the Ankaran Sarcophagus on the Elizabeth Dane? This is part of the main quest, and we'd have to leave downtown to attempt it.

My vote is for taking care of Patty first since that one's probably the easiest and least likely to lead to further complications. Leave the sarcophagus till we've done everything else we can do here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kill Boris. It's the option I picked when I played, so I haven't seen the alternative, but he's a dick, gently caress him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Oh, I know fine well that there is no long term prospect of benefiting from it, but it seems the more power-crazed and vampiric option to side with a mob boss over a club proprietrix who's so deep in the hole she needs someone to bump off her loan shark.

The mob boss knows you can get past his security, knows you're dangerous, and knows you were willing to kill him. And you have no leverage with him. If you side with him you'll be lucky if your payment is in money rather than bullets, and even if he doesn't kill you on the spot then he's likely to have you watched or taken out later.

The fact that the club owner is so desperate is exactly what makes her the better option. She'll be totally unable to renege on her part of the deal and will be reliant on you for further protection in the future. You help her out now and you basically own her and her club.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesclepia posted:

Actually, do prisons exist in the WoD? I mean, it's a reflection of our world, but I don't think I remember mention of them in the things I've read (which is mostly Werewolf).

That could be an interesting campaign: starting out in a prison with rival gangs of werewolves, vampires, and badass humans.

It seems pretty unlikely that a vampire or werewolf would ever be in human prison. It would be pretty hard to maintain the masquerade (or equivalent) under such close scrutiny, so in the unlikely event that a supernatural being did get caught by the police, they'd presumably be rescued or killed to keep things under wraps.

I guess there could be prisons run by the supernatural beings themselves, but I can't really see them choosing to imprison someone rather than just killing them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

The door was unlocked, but it looks like he's not home. Why would he leave the door unlocked?

Oh. :smith:

I made a brightened up version of this image as it's really hard to tell what you're looking at in the original.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

Do you know what this symbol is?

Yeah, I've seen this. Pretty sure I've seen it around here somewhere - one of the buildings, I think.

I'll look for it.

What did you just say? gently caress, goddamn Cammies! Ugh, you guys are all the same.

Is there something missing here? That's quite a non-sequitur.

LeJackal posted:

That sewer made zero sense. None.

It gets far, far worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

anglachel posted:

And that Cain committed the first act of paradox, the murder of his brother was an act of will working that went against the Consensus. The knife he used ends up becoming a powerful artifact. Thats why Vampirism doesnt worry about consensus. It's actually a powerful paradox curse.

That is exactly the sort of of mythology and world-building that I love. Crazy, but it makes enough sense that you can actually follow it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Erlkonig posted:

:stonk: drat, that scene with Heather never fails to creep me out. The whole dialogue just feels so sociopathic and jarring.

Well, you are a vampire.

Aesclepia posted:

She's resourceful!

Yeah, it's pretty impressive and somewhat worrying that she finds your house so easily. It's not like you're in the phone book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gatz posted:

Away from here.

I've always hated the taxi dialogue in this game. Why are there no options that aren't rude? Why even have a dialogue option here? Why not just jump straight to the map screen. If you didn't want to go anywhere you could just click on the place you already are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That is the shittiest security system. The lasers are visible and come out of really obvious emitters, and it looks like there'd be tons of room to get by underneath them if you weren't limited to moving like a video game character who can only run, walk or crouch.

gatz posted:

This bumped up our academics stat by one. I don't like any of these answers, but I'll choose the least stupid one.

We're the next evolution of human beings.

If you're ruling out the supernatural explanation, aliens sounds like the best option to me. Perhaps some sort of Deus Ex style nanotech that causes strange and unintended side-effects in humans.

gatz posted:

...and then we're transported back downtown.

I really hate when games do this. Maybe I wanted to go back through the bulding to check for stuff I'd missed. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I remember that my first Ventrue run's museum trip went rather well with stealth up until the camera part. Then I just said "gently caress it" and started murdering guards because I saw no real way to get through with my skillset.

In my current Toreador run, the whole thing was a lot more fun. At that point, I knew that once I reached the sarcophagus, I won't have to go back, so once I hit the cameras, I just repeatedly cast Celerity 5 and blitzed my way past all the guards, taking very little damage in the process and not killing anyone (which was the main goal as opposed to maybe not getting caught).

I find it amusing in this game how blasé they are about security cameras. A vampire being recorded killing or moving at super-speed on security tape should be a pretty major masquerade violation but it just never comes up at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PureRok posted:

I thought vampires didn't show up in cameras.

The footage of a bunch of people being murdered by something invisible then. Either way it's pretty bad for those who want to keep the supernatural secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

A lot of the particularly bad fishmalky stuff we'll see mentioned is :wesp:. There are a couple (lookin at you stop sign, even if you were funny to suddenly encounter) but mostly it was written to be someone who is aware of a lot of the truth of things. Just in a very muddled and confusing way they don't understand.

The stop sign is entirely justified because it's hilarious, unlike the jellyfish thing.

• Locked thread