Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
The next area is pretty much a mandatory combat area (when you are allowed and even encouraged to not make a combat character), plus a sewer level. Combine that with low-to-no opportunities to replenish blood (and thus health) depending on clan, and you have problems. If you piss off Vandal or just don't have the cash, you might not be able to bring blood in at all. The sewers were where I had to restart on my first playthrough and I doubt I'm alone in that.

Edited to put spoilers up because I'm not sure if it counts.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Am I not remembering it correctly or is there an option to get the Gargoyle working for Strauss again? If there is, do that. Otherwise, let's make friends with Isaac and get him a new stone buddy. Ventrue are all about getting allies, even if they are unusual bedfellows, and Isaac as well as potentially the gargoyle owing you favors down the line has to be better than Isaac being a bit annoyed and the Gargoyle being dead.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Basically, one of the Salubri who was still Warrior Caste decided "Man, gently caress those Tremere motherfuckers and the Camarilla they're with," so he decided to join the Sabbat and embrace quite a few new Salubri. They don't have quite the numbers of any of the other clans in the Sabbat, which I guess is why as of Revised and the Players Guide to the Sabbat you need to be at least 11th generation or something to play one.

I'm going by memory here, but they're solid fighters, especially if they go into the Black Hand, but really do not give a slight gently caress about the usual Sabbat routine. They're pretty much there because they want all of the Tremere dead, and it's the best vehicle for them to do so.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 10, 2015

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

xanthan posted:

Uh, someone mentioned an Aassimate blood curse before, what is it?

There's really two curses the Assamite clan got hit with.

Way, way, way back in the day, back when it was still Happy Fun Bible Story era, the Baali started showing up in the second and third cities. The Assamites, along with the Salubri, didn't particularly like that, since the Baali were several different types of horrible abomination, so they made it a point to kick their poo poo in every time the Baali started showing up. This was pretty much a good thing, because the Baali are the sorts of vampires that make even Body-Horror Tzimisce who turn people into constantly screaming and crying furniture look like saints.

However, the Baali didn't particularly appreciate getting wrecked every time they show up, so after kidnapping a few Assamites during one of their many ill-fated campaigns back in the prehistory, they performed a dark ritual using the captured Assamites. As the main army of Assamites and other aligned Kindred slaughtered their way through the Baali fortress, the ritual commenced, finishing up just as the Assamites kicked in the door to the ritual chamber. While the Baali were gone, the Assamites found themselves... well, hungry. Cue fratricidal eating frenzy and finding out that the Warrior Bloodline of Assamites were now hopelessly addicted to Vampire blood. This spread throughout the entire Warrior line (even hitting some of the Vizier and Sorceror bloodline vamps), and considering it generally makes Assamites even more likely to just straight up Diablerize a vampire it kind of ruined the Assamites reputation.

In more recent times, the Assamites were one of the clans persecuting the newly formed Tremere clan, and by all records they were probably the biggest threat besides the Tzimisce. In addition, the Assamites were working pretty much as mercernaries, perfectly happy to get hired to kill an elder or something, usually by diablerie. This, of course, was not a happy state of affairs for most vampires, considering the average Assamite assassin is a nasty piece of work. With the Assamites pretty much wrecking everything and acting like the Vampire Bogeyman, people really wanted to see them get put into their place. However, nobody knew where the bulk of the clan was, as after the Third city and the curse Haqim (their Antidiluvian) drug them out into the desert and founded a hidden fortress for them: Alamut. Protected by magic and the remote location, the Assamites figured they were safe there to do what they wanted to do.

Things changed, though, when one day some random Nosferatu (rumored to be staked and hidden in the city) managed to bumble across Alamut. The Assamites, with the shadow war they were waging with the pre-Camarilla vampires, realized that if one vampire could find it, more potentially could. They really didn't want that, so they surrendered. However, the Pre-Camarilla figured they would just bide their time until they were powerful enough to pretty much unstoppable, so they asked the Tremere to put a stop to them eating vamps as they pleased. The Tremere, more than happy to, laid down a powerful curse on the Assamites: from now on, Vampire Blood was toxic to them. Any of the Assamites foolish enough to drink from a vampire took unsoakable Lethal or Aggravated damage and took no benefit from the blood, and any foolish or stubborn enough to manage to Diablerize a vampire would get no benefit from it.

(Coincidentally enough, this actually circumvented the Baali curse to some extent, because it's kind of hard to be addicted to something that will kill you really quick.)

Assamite Sorcerors spent centuries trying to get around the Tremere curse, usually failing but occasionally coming tantalizingly close. Some managed to find a way around it: a group of Warriors and Sorcerors headed off to the ancient Baali fortress where the first curse went down hoping that maybe, just maybe, the site could show them a way to circumvent the Tremere Curse. What happened there isn't largely known, but all the sorcerors and a fair portion of the Warriors that went there died, and the remaining Warriors came out with the Tremere Curse missing. Said warriors were unhappy that the clan surrendered to the Camarilla, so they decided to join the Sabbat and basically play Kick the Tremere.

However, the main clan had no luck dispelling the curse until 1998 or 99. That's when ur-Shulgi, Childe of Haqim, woke up. He pretty much took a look at the Tremere curse, and being a sorceror from way back in the day (along with probably a few other horrible things), said "Lol No" and broke the Tremere Curse in a week. Now the clan is just stuck with the Baali curse, which ur-Shulgi is still trying to break but is having difficulty with. This is partly because most of the Sorcerors left during the Schism (basically ur-Shulgi going "Nope, having none of this 'Believing in God' poo poo. Worship Haqim or get dunked.") so he's kind of down on manpower, and partly because the Baali are worshipping Satan/the Wyrm/Ancient Lovecraftian Nightmares/whatever the gently caress White Wolf comes up with next, and that's a completely different ballpark even to a several thousand year old blood god.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 30, 2015

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I'm playing a Lasombra in the mod. I'm not entirely sure how the mirror thing works, as while I have some theories they could just as easily be changes to the game or gently caress-ups because of the mod.

Spoilers, I guess, not sure if they are but welp.

Certain locations just seem to cause Masquerade violations for me for whatever reason. Club Confession is one of them: if I literally do anything but rush inside to talk to Venus (or the Ghoul) such as feeding on the blood doll, wandering around, or attempting to dance I get a masquerade violation and usually get the cop and Venus permanently angry at me, which is understandably annoying. The Internet Cafe in Hollywood also seems like it was causing some problems for me, as if I walk by the bathroom door if it's open suddenly +MASQUERADE VIOLATION+ and a bunch of screaming humans.

In addition, I am running into a *lot* of loving hunters on the streets despite having full masquerade. Not sure if they're actually hunters, but there are trenchcoat wearing guys who will decide to try and murder me in front of the cops if they notice me, and in Hollywood they've been upgraded to be practically paramilitary with assault weaponry. I've asked a few friends playing the mod and they say they haven't seen any of this, though they're playing Settites or other non-Lasombra.

Also, it might just be me but if the game's running for a while with the mod on the game likes to have a freakout and replace random things in the environment (tables, computers, cars, couches, door knobs) with junk items. I've seen cars in Downtown replaced with paintings, the internet cafe has several doorknobs and computers replaced with pizza slices (which incidentally is not something you want to see on the mainline quest to find the video tape, because spoilers you can't use a pizza slice to check email), and the Downtown Haven get filled with more loving paintings.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
The problem is that hunters were already spawned. I got my first masquerade violation in Club Confession from ?????, whereas I saw my first hunter shortly after leaving the haven, wandering the streets between the parking garage, diner, and Kilpatrick's bounty hunter office. At first I thought it was just a new model, but nope, he pulls a gun on me by the parking garage and attempts to dust me, and when I hit him back +CRIMINAL VIOLATION+ and I pulled every cop on me with that stunt. This of course quickly lead to final death.

In my experience, the hunters generally respawn and occasionally switch locations after a map transition, and there's been one in Santa Monica, two or three in Downtown, and two on the streets/back alleys and two in the sewers of Hollywood (and those assholes are packing fully auto weapons that can and will dust your rear end).

Honestly it's been making me want to turn on notarget when I'm on the streets moving around, because there's nothing worse than walking past an alleyway and suddenly taking a full-auto burst.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I was playing along in the mod until about the bit with the helicopter fight in the motel. At that point I just took a long look at my keyboard and said "gently caress this noise" and quit. Doubly so since apparently the Lasombra clan flaw is "Oh hey you like combat right how about loving HUNTERS EVERYWHERE." You think the game's bad now? Imagine having to worry about guys attacking you with AK-47's in Hollywood and if you shoot back at them you get the cops on you.

gently caress I was cheating and it was still way too difficult. I can only hesitate to guess how bad the Sewers and Chinatown are with Lasombra vamps. Plus with the bullshit with all of Grout's Mansion (platforming, xenomorphs, Grout's wife being a boss) I was a little too scared to see how hosed this mod was further on down the line. What's next, a Vohzd in the Sabbat Lair? Technocrats chilling out in the Prince's tower? Gurahl joining in on the fun with the werewolf at the park?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
...this mod in general has made me hate this game, but the bullshit I saw in the latest update has me now uninstalling the entire game. Who the Hell thought any of this was a good idea? This can't even be put under challenging combat or whatever else the mod's bragging about! Like have the mod developers never played any other games and thought "Oh hey I'll stuff an exploding zombie in a closet you have to purposefully open with no reward, that seems like a good idea!"

What the Hell is it with modders adding tedious bullshit to games?

• Locked thread