Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've had a fairly interesting history with this game. When I originally bought it, shortly after it came out, it turned out I didn't actually have a PC that could run it. Six months later I was able to afford a laptop ram stick and I was finally able to install it on my laptop (which would barely start the game). Of course, it was unplayable in its non-patched state so it was almost a full two years after the original purchase before I actually was able to play it. Still totally worth it.

I'm looking forward to this LP, and I'm loving the Vampire/Werewolf/Mage OWoD chat.

Never played a Gangrel, so going to throw my vote behind Belle as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In reference to who our Sire was, if I remember right it was brought up in another thread that, based on our character's blood-pool and the Vampire PnP rules, our Sire actually had to be a significantly powerful early generation vampire. Not Antedeluvian, but up there.

Which would make the whole thing with Lacroix straight up executing him/her really weird, but we can probably chalk most of that up to Troika giving us the greater blood-pool as a gameplay decision. A good one, in fact, because there are far worse things a vampire in this Era could be raised as...

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

OAquinas posted:

That's the most questionable bit, yes. I'll explain a bit since the game doesn't really touch this at all:
In Vampire, your strength is determined by how far you are from Caine, the mythical(?) first vampire. The badass blood god mentioned before? He was 3rd generation, or two steps removed. The Storyteller's Guide (DM guide) has this to say on fighting Caine, should you meet him: "You Lose."
Now, Vampires can only hold so much useful vitae in their system. The lower your generation (that is, the fewer steps you are from the big guy) the more you can effectively hold. So a "default" character of the 13th generation can hold 10 "blood points." Your character in this game can hold 15--so assuming there's no videogame translation fudge factor going on, your character is 8th generation, making your sire 7th (your sire always being one step less than you, of course). Most vamps of that level are old as hell, powerful, and are generally considered elders. So running out and siring some random, getting caught, and then letting yourself get offed...well, it strains the narrative a tad.

Generation also conveys some other benefits. Starting at 9th gen, you can "spend" more blood per turn, allowing you to heal faster, pump up your physical capabilities quicker, and use more disciplines simultaneously. And if you're trying to Dominate someone of a lower generation, it just plain doesn't work.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was referring to, but never having played Vampire I didn't have the practical explanation handy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tehan posted:

Hypocrisy is the beating heart of the Camarilla.

What could be more Human?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This seems like a good segway to talk about modding, and more specificially, about one of the most retarded internet slapfights I've ever watched.

A Tale of Two Modders

Once upon a time, there were two aspiring video game modders: Wesp, and Tessmage. Both of them saw the broken, awful mess that Bloodlines was at release a sought to fix it. They each independently developed a bugfix patch. By the time each realized that the other existed, the internet being what it is, hugbox communities had grown around each mod author. And because both mods made different changes (Tessmage's was mostly concerned with bugfixes, while Wesp was merging his bugfixes with his own rather questionable balance changes. Wesp's Plus version today is basically the only version he used to provide.). The normal community "this mod is better than that mod" bickering wouldn't have been so bad if both modders hadn't turned it into a dick waving competition. And Tessmage probably shouldn't have started calling his the "True" patch.

Now that we are several years removed, Wesp's patch has won out, especially now that he offers a bugfix only version that has (mostly) kept out the worst of his sperg. And Tessmage runs an adult-only website and forum where he hosts all his naked video game character mods- and the "True" patch.

• Locked thread