Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Even though my playthroughs of this game number in the double digits, I feel compelled to follow this. I love this game so drat much.

The dialogue in this game is so great you almost owe it to yourself to play as a talky character. So I guess I'm voting for Female Ventrue as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Also what patches will you be playing with? Vanilla? Wesps? Going all out with the clan quest mod? Also if we do go Female Ventrue, how about Madison as a name?

ETA: Alternatively, Carrington.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 12, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah. 3 dots of obfuscation gave you Mask of a Thousand Faces.

Would have been cool to have in the game but basically impossible to implement. There's already so, so much dialogue in this game especially with the 7 playable clans.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 11, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah. Orbital mirrors redirected the suns rays from the other side of the planet.

oWod is a little before my time (I started playing D&D in 2005, and my first WoD product was actually the Vampire: the Requiem sourcebook) but it fascinates the hell out of me. It billed itself as more serious and mature than DnD and had goofy comic book stuff like sun lasers happening. And I loved reading about it, even if most of it had to be second hand.

Also I can't quite find the source, but I think word of god places VTM Bloodlines immediately BEFORE the week of nightmares. So the really crazy, end of the world stuff like aforementioned sun-nuking hasn't quite happened yet. (Signs of the endtimes, like the thin-bloods, are present and indicate that the week of nightmares is like imminent, though.)

Will defer to vissicitude though because if I remember my time in tradgames, he knows basically everything there is to know about oWoD.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 12, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
It's probably so vague in large part because of the need to accomodate all the playable clans with one beginning/series of cutscenes.

Getting into who your sire was and the nature of his or her motivations would probably introduce stuff that would work for a few clans but not for others.

But yeah I guess one of the only let downs about this games story is that for a setting that is supposed to have personal horror as one of the primary themes, it never really gets into how you feel about your abrupt death and losing your old life, and just why you of all people were chosen to have all this crap thrust upon you.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 14, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
We're forgetting the silliest/funnest part of humanity though: derangements.

Everytime you drop in humanity you have a change to pick up a derangement. It's usually stuff like OCD, or paranoia, or something. It could be tons of fun to roleplay but the way you acquire them has always struck me as very problematic.

I've read but never actually played oWoD so someone correct me if I'm wrong but it kind of means that a 10 humanity vampire can develop a permanent psychiatric condition from telling a lie (and then miserably failing the resulting roll.)

(Also this thread is making me lament the fact that all my Vampire books are at my parents' house :()

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Night10194 posted:

I've always gotten the impression that the Paths are fancy ways to get around the fact that humanity is extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable for vampires. Like, take that Noddist stuff. 'You might be a soul-sucking monster who exists as a bane on humanity as punishment for the first murder but that's totally not evil I swear. Because reasons.'

It just feels like it weakens the central conceit of the setting, which is that for all they tell themselves they're superior and can do what they want, there's this erosion of humanity from acting that way has a real consequence and actually makes them more of an insane monster and eventually leads to their destruction. Having a bunch of ways to control the Beast by being a jackass feels like it weakens it a lot.

Yeah this is precisely the reason why I never liked paths for VTM.

(They make a great alternative to alignment in things like DnD though).

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Oh yeah I forgot how weird the WESP patch could be. Isn't there like a "bugfix only" mode on that thing?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also the more you ignore nWoD the better (because VtM:B doesn't happen in it, therefore it is not the best). I think Zack Parsons or someone else on the frontpage said the biggest sign of the new WoD's failure is that it didn't become a bestseller ever since Twilight came out.

Hey now. nWoD is kind of off-topic for this thread, but its still a pretty great setting in its own right. A lot of the things that make VtM fun to read about (the massive, sometimes cartoonish metaplot; all the mary-sue canon npcs, etc.) can kind of make it unweildy to run as a PnPRPG. So I quickly grew to appreciate VtR's getting back to basics.

And I'd attribute its inability to ride on twilight's coattails to be a failure of marketing, not of the game.

Back on topic, let's talk about that awesome radioshow that plays in certain areas of the game (including our first haven). I freely admit to having this playing while I read for class:

http://debofnight.andcuriouser.com/

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 24, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
At least he didn't stick an Oblivion gate in the middle of Santa Monica :v:.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

gatz posted:

She's talking about the fact that we said the beast is part of being a vampire. Simply pointing out that fact is equivalent to being "compassionless" and "heartless" to Lily.

Hmm. Are you sure about this? I picked that dialogue option before and I didn't get hostileLily when I got back to the beach.

I suspect its one of two things:

1. Exploiting Copper flagged you in the games code as a "jerk" to everybody on the beach, and thats what Lily was reacting to (despite that fact in in-universe she never even met Copper). I think this because I rescued her once, came back, got Lily's nice response, dicked around with Copper for some extra $$$, then got Lily's hostile response.

2. This is one of the weird changes that Wesp added to the PlusPatch between my last playthrough and now.

Regardless it gave us a chance to talk about some neat philosophy so thats a plus.

citybeatnik posted:

Semi-funny/interesting aside - the tattoos on this guy? Entirely possible that they were done with a Sharpie.

Wait, wait, hear me out!

White Wolf, especially in its early days, was elbows deep in the club kid subculture which is why it had the balls to describe its setting as "gothic punk". While some of that dealt with the aesthetics of the game, the setting and all that rot, a great deal of it was spent on minor, useless crap like how people looked. You'll find sections in the various splat books that talk about how members of such and such clan dresses, which i imagine comes from the developer hoping to cash in on the Mind's Eye rules (LARPing).

But how on earth does your character rock the ink to show that they're not down with The Man if they were Embraced without it? You can't get a tattoo when you're dead (barring the use of Vissitude and other magical stuff) since your body actually rejects the ink during the day - you can get a fresh tattoo every evening but really who on earth has the time?

The solution, as mentioned in the Guide to the Camarilla, is simple - use a permanent marker. Vampires don't sweat and they don't have oily skin, which means that what would rub off relatively quickly on a mortal sticks around longer on the typical vampire. Sure you might have to fill it in occasionally but that's just a few minutes work, right?

:laffo:

Oh the 90s. :allears:.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 2, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
How about bi-weekly updates that are half the size of that last one? A lot of stuff happened in that last update and shorter ones would give us more of a chance to talk about what happened.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Also something I never got:

Rosa says Mercurio is trustworthy. Without going into spoilers, suffice it to say that this is more or less turns out to be the case. However, if Mercurio is the Prince's ghoul, shouldn't he be enthralled to the Prince? How does he have the agency to help you when, as this warehouse suicide mission suggests, the Prince might not want you around for very long? Am I misunderstanding how this whole ghoul thing works?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Man is there anyone reading this LP that hasn't played the game before?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
1) People love this drat game, and they want more of it. This is evident in both the continued discussion this game generates, the fact that people play this game over and over again, and the fact that Bloodlines has a vibrant mod scene.

Think about that last part: Bloodlines is based on a lovely alpha build of the source engine that refuses to cooperate with modders yet people have found ingenious workarounds to create new areas/add new clans and disciplines into the game. The results are janky and amateurish yet there is a dedicated community around it.

2) Every time bloodlines crops up, lorechat invevitably follows. See the past few pages of this thread. There is a lot to this franchise, some of it wonderfully evocative, some of it goofy as poo poo, and all of it fun. It can't possibly be fit into any one game.

3) WoD is still the second or third most popular PNPRPG franchise after DnD and its derivatives.

1+2+3 has me thinking. You guys remember Neverwinter Nights? The main campaigns were meh; the games real draw was the powerful and easy to use custom campaign creator that came with it. A huge, vibrant module-making community sprang up around it. It produced some drat amazing content..

WoD needs, nay deserves, a Neverwinter Nights. I really believe it would produce some amazing stuff.*

*Yeah yeah yeah and some horrifying stuff too but we can just ignore those "gently caress your vampire harem campaigns" ok?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 9, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Most of the Ann Rice fans I know are female and VTM probably recruited heavily from that fan base.

Most of the Tolkien, T. Brooks, R. Jordan fans I know are male so.

All anecdotal but there you go.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Well I did say most.

On a semi-related note I was sort of specifically talking about the 90s there.

I thnk fantasy has, since 2000, started to appeal to more women -- Game of Thrones for example has a lot of female fans. I have theories about this (e.g. there was some really sexist poo poo in the 90s but there's been a movement to tone that down and have strong female characters too and I think its working) but nothing confirmed.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
e: nvm

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 11, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
guys stop fighting you're making my mascara run

Ok real talk:

Can someone explain to me what a typical adventure for Sabbat PC's would be like. Whenever I read about the Sabbat, I can't imagine running a coherent game around them. I have no idea what it is that they as a sect and as individuals want in the short term or the long term. I don't understand why the Masquerade doesn't come crashing down around them with their whole "gently caress kine" attitude. And most of all, I kind of don't even really see the appeal beyond their being "darker" than the Camarilla.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm curious about the experience of people who had no familiarity with WoD when they first played Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Did you feel like the game gave you a pretty good introduction to the setting, or were you overwhelmed with ":wtc: are all these different clans/factions/terms" at any point?

Bloodlines got me in to WOD in the first place.

Now, standing back and reflecting nearly 9 years after going down the rabbit hole so to speak, it's pretty striking just how nicely-self contained VTM:B is in light of its sprawling source material. Theres nothing in you _really_ need a lore background to appreciate the significance of, with the possible exception of our bro Smiling Jack and Beckett. Everything and everyone else is either explained satisfactorily in-game, created specificially for the game.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I ran a pretty goofy VTM game a couple years back set in Las Vegas where the PCs, among other things, fought Elvis-impersonating hunters and it. was. awesome.

It worked pretty well and the setting didn't really need adaptation.

Tone is really supplied by the players and DM. The actual facts of the setting themselves can lend themselves to some cartoonish.

E: Ah the glorious details of that game are coming back to me. We had a Malkavian with aspergers based on Abed from community; a stage-magician Tremere; a Gangrel who was (in life) one of those animal handlers for a Sigfried and Roy type act, and a frat-boy Ventrue.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 16, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah :/ I got this game the month it was released as a 15 year old virgin. Think about that.

/shudder

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

double nine posted:

in-lore maybe and certainly for random human npc #3647, but I've never been able to get my teeth in gimble's neck, not when using strength buffs or the stealth discipline. I guess it's a boss fight mechanic ...

(but yes, he's pretty easy)

I've been able to bite him as a Tremere, after disabling him with a power. I think with all combat situations, if the mortal is actively fighting you, you have to pass a grapple check (Unarmed Combat) in order to successfully sink your teeth in. And really, who puts any points into unarmed?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Whats wrong with using the console? I suppose you can try to find a trainer but I've never trusted those things.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I like Nines too but I feel this scene is a little Mary-Sue-ey. Also the third-wall breaking kind of annoys me for some reason because it never happens anywhere else.

Its me, I'm the one with no sense of humor who hates fun.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Question:

If heather is like this becaue of our blood and Mercurio is drinking the Prince's blood why isn't he all head over heels about LaCroix (or whoever the blood source is) as Heather is about us?

Does it come down to the amount of blood consumed (I can believe we gave Heather a p big dose given the extent of her injuries).

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

gatz posted:

Uh say, fruit pie... if you're still up and about in a few hours, eh, why don't you stop by at the end of my shift and I'll... treat you to breakfast, uh? Endless stack of flapjacks...? little boysenberry syrup...? your security teddy bear...?

Is this more :wesp:? I don't remember Chunk ever hitting on me on any of my female playthroughs.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
The problem with Redemption was how the combat felt basically.

Better internet spergs than I have :words:ed about stuff like kinesthetics in games and poo poo but action RPGs like the diablo-clone VTM:R tried to be live and die by how they feel. I remember when I played that game there was no indication to tell me if any individual swing hit or missed. I just watched Christoph swing at air and hoped that the enemy name got more and more red. Compare that to something like that new game, Grim Dawn, where there is a *squish* if you hit and a *whiff* if you miss... basically immediate feedback as to what was going on.

VTMR was a slog but I loved it's cheesy vampire romance plot :3.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

OAquinas posted:

Do you have the skull of the Lamia? It's locked until then.

Oh you.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. The key bit to understand is that CCP got drunk with hubris and utterly incompetent management towards the end of the previous decade. Stuff like making $80 monocles for Eve and thinking they could succeed at whatever, just because they were doing rather well in a niche MMO market. A more pointed description might be calling them the Icelandic Ion Storm, only they had a core product that kept them alive (though they almost killed that golden goose as well).

Buying WW gave them a US presence and an IP that had a decent following. They then proceeded to run that poo poo so far into the ground that they hit magma.

The 80 dollar monocles and stuff thanks to Ryan Dancey. The TTRPG community is on this guy's dick because he was responsible for the open gaming license (which basically enabled Pathfinder's existence) but at CCP he proved himself to be an incompetent retard. I remember Dancey's justification for the monocles being that people pay that much for sunglasses. However, the only the player ever saw PC's face, so the whole element of conspicuous consumption, which drives the fashion industry, was gone. He also thought that TTRPGS were one the way out, and pushed for White Wolf's downsizing DURING the resurgence in popularity vampires and werewolves etc were seeing due to True Blood, Twilight, etc.

But off course, because he did one good thing with the OGL, Paizo welcomed him with open arms and now he's working on the Pathfinder MMO last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Not only that, Dancey is the one who wanted to do an MMO as a first project. The industry is littered with the corpses of failed MMO's and attempting to start an MMO has killed established publishers (see e.g. Funcom), and he wanted to do an MMO as Paizo's first foray into videogames.

I hate to turn this into a non-vampire related derail, but I still firmly believe that the blame for the fact that we'll likely never get another WW property videogame despite the resurgence in popularity in the subject matter to fall substantially at Dancey's feet.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread