Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
For the OP for the Antitribu Mod LP, please follow this link.

Case had always taken it for granted that the real bosses, the kingpins in a given industry, would be both more and less than people. . . . He'd always imagined it as a gradual and willing accommodation of the machine, the system, the parent organism. It was the root of street cool, too, the knowing posture that implied connection, invisible lines up to hidden levels of influence.
— William Gibson, Neuromancer

Please zip up your pants.

My first let's play was of Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. I don't think it's very good, and I would certainly change how I did it if I LP'd the game again. You can tell it's an attempt by a novice, and things got better from a technical standpoint as the LP went along. The best thing about the LP was the community of goons that would comment on the LP with knowledge of the old world of darkness and how Redemption related to it. Contradicted it might be a better way of putting it.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is much better in that regard. Bloodlines, as it will be referred to from here on, is the second and only other video game set in the Vampire: The Masquerade universe. Thankfully, it has no relation to Redemption outside of the Vampire: The Masquerade license. Bloodlines was released in 2004 to a warm reception, though it was absolutely wrought with bugs. A big reason for this was that it used an early version of Valve's source engine, and not all the resources Troika Games needed were available. You can read more about elsewhere from someone who knows more about it than me. The point is that Bloodlines, although buggy, is regarded to be a great game in terms atmosphere, story, character, and use of the Vampire: The Masquerade backdrop. Unfortunately, Troika disbanded soon after the release of Bloodlines because they couldn't find any work. This meant that there was a void to fill if any additional bugs were to be patched.

It's almost 10 years later, and there have been numerous patches from someone known as WESP5 that not only fix bugs, but also restore cut content from the game. The most notable of this is an entire questline which includes its own unique areas. This is only included in the plus version of the patch, which we will be using (8.8 in parts 1-14, 8.9 in 15-29, 9.0 in 30-36, 9.1 in 37+). I should mention that this will be a screen shot lp.

Bloodlines is a good game, even without these patches. Let me put it like this: we, as the protagonist, find ourselves unwillingly intertwined within the realm of vampire politics. All of the warring factions of Los Angeles are competing against the others, some for the power to assert their own autonomy, some for the resources that dominance over the others brings, some for reasons unknown. We are the wild card, essentially an agent who is free to sway the game in favor of whomever we chose. Though our path is relatively fixed, who we help or hurt along the way depends on our own choices. The story of Bloodlines can be summarized by this small phrase: we are caught in the machine. Like a gear in a gear train, we must turn with it, but unlike a gear in a gear train, we can change the effects of our turning.

Lastly, a few things. First, do not expect me to follow a set schedule for updating the thread. I do not have as much free time as I did when I LP'd redemption, so know what you are getting into beforehand. Updates will come whenever they do, and if the LP has to momentarily take a back seat to more important engagements, it will. Keep spoilers in tags. I also plan on emphasizing the let's part of let's play, meaning that there will be a lot of thread participation. Following from this, let me begin the thread with a few choices for you to make...

As of update 38, TheMcD has graciously taken over the LP.

Contents
Prologue
I - Beginnings
II - The Embrace
III - Blood: Your New Heroin

Santa Monica
IV - Surf's Up
V - Thinned Blood
VI - Bloody Mess
VII - A Bounty For the Hunter
VIII - Sibling Rivalry
IX - The Ghost Haunts at Midnight
X - The Hunted Hunter
XI - Bad Blood
XII - By The Way
XIII - An Explosive Beginning

Downtown
XIV - Deus Ex Machina
XV - Traffik
XVI - Realpolitik
XVII - The Anarchs
XVIII - Confessions
XIX - Fun With Pestilence
XX - A Plague For the Angels
XXI - Elizabethan Rendezvous
XXII - Necromantic
XXIII - Occultish Personality
XXIV - Calling Dr. Grout
XXV - Caught in the Machine
XXVI - Patron of the Ancient Arts
XXVII - The Epic of the Ankaran Sarcophagus

Hollywood
XXVIII - A Dish Best Served Cold
XXIX - Dead Ex
XXX - Hunters Hunting
XXXI - Snuff is Enough
XXXII - Carnival of Death
XXXIII - Judge, Jury, and Executioner
XXXIV - Hot Stripper Assassin Action!
XXXV - B-Rated Writer
XXXVI - Gargoyle Removal Service
XXXVII - A Night at the Library
XXXVIII - Monarchy Now
XXXIX - Krise
XL - Verdammt Wir Leben Noch
XLI - Out of the Dark
XLII - S.C.A.N.D.A.L.

Chinatown
XLIII - Cyberlove
XLIV - Hoch Wie Nie
XLV - Die Königin von Eschnapur
XLVI - Crime Time
XLVII - Ecce Machina, Part I
XLVIII - Ecce Machina, Part II

Endgame
XLIX - Les Nouveaux Riches
L - We Live for the Night
LI - Propaganda
LII - Auf Der Flucht
LIII - Egoist
LIV - Untouchable
LV - The Spirit Never Dies

gatz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
MJ12 writes about events in the oWoD leading up to Bloodlines:

MJ12 posted:

Okay, approximately in this time (1999) in the World of Darkness, the Week of Nightmares was happening. The Week of Nightmares was this huge megacrossover event (like comic ones, and just like comic ones it wasn't terribly well thought out) involving vampires, mages, werewolves, and wraiths. Now, why do I say it wasn't well though out?

Normally, the games exist in similar but different settings. If you're playing mage, for example, the vampires are just these pipsqueaks who think they control the mortal world but are covertly doing the Technocracy's bidding, more or less, by hiding evidence of the supernatural (just the way the Union wants it). If you're playing vampire, mages are generally just hedge sorcerers, not these godlike beings of nigh-omnipotent power that they are in their own line. In werewolf, the important thing to remember is that everything is controlled by Captain Planet Villains who are also demons.

Of course, you then mashed all the settings together for the Week of Nightmares, which is hilarious. There was a lot of angry fan backlash at this, especially vampire fans. There may still be flamewars to this day. There definitely were when this metaplot thing hugely altered the Mage line.

Anyways, in the Week of Nightmares, three really important things happened:

1. There was a Sabbat-Camarilla war that involved mass embraces and mass deaths of new vampires. This woke up an ancient Antediluvian, a ridiculously powerful vampire god. This is mostly a Vampire thing, but it spilled over into Mage. The Sabbat and Camarilla will be explained in more detail through this LP, so don't worry if you're not familiar with the terms yet.

2. Some guys in Wraith nuked a city in the underworld with the ghost of the first nuclear bomb. That city happened to have the "True Black Hand" in it, IIRC (who were a spooky double probationary secret society of vampires who knew the ~truth~ about everything and nobody liked because their book was awful so they got nuked).

3. In Mage, one of the Houses of the Order of Hermes, House Janissary, was exterminated by another mage faction, the Euthanatos. To explain this in more detail, the Order of Hermes were some of the most powerful non-Technocratic mages (the Technocracy being an organization of mages which seeks to impose order and predictability on a fundamentally chaotic world). They have various houses, which specialize in various things. Tremere was once one of their houses, until their, well, vampirism accident. Even to this day, Hermetic mages nurse a huge grudge against the Tremere and seek to burn them down when they can find them. The Janissaries were one of the Hermetic heavy hitters, basically a giant group of magic-wielding commandos. Think, basically, guys like Patrick Galloway from Undying. Gun in one hand, spells with the other.

The Euthanatos are a magical faction based on the idea of 'the good death'. Basically, death and life are cyclical, and sometimes for the good of the world as a whole, and the good of one's soul in the next reincarnation, they have to be killed. If you don't get how they work, watch the Wanted movie. That is literally how the Euthanatos see the world (and how they roll). One of their factions, the Golden Chalice, are explicitly magic wielding super commandos. Imagine if Jason Bourne had the powers of a D&D wizard as well. That's what an average member of the Chalice looks like.

Both of them are members of the Traditions, the mystics who were opposed to the Technocracy's enforcement of order and predictability on the world. They wanted a world safe for mysticism and wonder, where things could be unknown and accepted as unknown. Unfortunately, the Technocracy took significant issues with some of the things they wanted unknown, like "will I get eaten by a dragon when I get my lunch?" or "will this medicine cure my sick child"?

To go on with what actually happened, the Janissaries had been secretly manipulating the Ascension War because their leader thought that the end result of one side or the other winning would have been the total destruction of reality. They used ancient ciphers to encode those messages, with a slight issue. The Jason Bourne references (since the New World Order, one of the Technocratic branches, definitely is Bourne-inspired) might give you a hint.

You see, centuries ago, before the Technocracy existed, there was a group of assassin magi called the Ixoi. They thought the Traditions were corrupt and had to be changed. There were people of two minds in that. One of them thought the Traditions were irreparably corrupt and needed to be changed externally, by shooting them a lot. Another thought they could be redeemed from within. The latter group eventually became the Golden Chalice. The former joined the Order of Reason, which would later become the Technocracy, as the Ksirafai. Eventually, some of the Ksirafai started getting cold feet, and they get into a fight with the others who didn't and become House Janissary.

The remaining Ksirafai loyal to the Order of Reason eventually became part of the New World Order.

Anyways, back to the story, you see, the Janissaries had been using old Ixoi ciphers to communicate their secret conspiracy plans, and one of them was eventually intercepted. That, and the Janissaries setting up some political warfare that ended with a Hermetic archmage being killed, led the Golden Chalice to act. They burned House Janissary and left no survivors.

How's that relevant to Bloodlines? Well, it's mostly the fact that the Traditions are now in chaos and the Technocracy do not know what's going on. This may end up having effects on what happens when the more vampire-relevant stuff goes on, but I'll talk about that in another post, this one's getting long.

citybeatnik writes about The Stoneman

citybeatnik posted:

Strap in kids - this is going to be a brief but wild ride.

Follow along with me to the wild days of Vampire, where people were still trying to decide between SERIOUS BUSINESS and superheroes with fangs. This is pre-Revised, mind. Now the thing with Caitiffs is that, well, Caine technically was one - each of the clans exhibit their abilities and weaknesses due to the Curse that Caine laid down on them, with the abilities of the Antediluvians passed on through their blood due to how powerful they were. But it takes a while for the individual Curse to pass along to the new vampire - this is the Becoming, and it's during this time that a Ventrue-to-be develops its taste for specific blood, or a Malkavian is driven to madness by the Truth, or a Nosferatu is warped and twisted and deformed in a process that can take days or weeks.

It's also the period of time where your internal organs atrophy, you vomit up everything in your stomach, and you have actual changes in your skull that let you retract and extend your fangs - there's a spongy tissue there and yadda yadda craziness yadda. There's a rather neat blurb discussing Ramona the Gangrel Sig character that goes in to some detail with this. But I digress.

Anyway. So that happens. But it's still a -mystical- thing. You get it both from the blood and from hanging around with your Sire during this time. But what happens when you're not around your Sire and your blood is not thick enough to carry all the Curse with you?

BAM, Caitiff. Vampires that have actually ducked most of the Curse. This particular viewpoint actually survived in to Revised - it's basically the philosophy of both the Panders (gently caress YEAH JOSEPH PANDER!) and the Unbound, a loose collective of Caitiff Anarchs that are only having their numbers grow in the modern nights. But, anyway. That's in the modern age.

In the -ancient- age, you -still- had these fuckers. And some of them claimed to be direct offspring of the 2nd Generation - like both them and Caine, they did not have the various Curses laid upon them. Most of these were killed off pretty drat quickly. -Most-.

The Stoneman survived.

Here's the most complete write up about him I was able to find, yanked from someone's pet project concerning the genealogy of all of the vampires and their lineage (kind of what fellow goon Loomer has been working on).

quote:

He is shrouded in mystery and all attempts to get answers about his age or history from him are met with an enigmatic smile. The Stoneman has allegedly created several new Disciplines on his own, and is willing to teach the powers he has developed to other Caitiff - if they meet his standards. Some few have even made the claim that he had diablerized one of the Antediluvians or that he is actually a childe of Caine returned from the East. No one can say for certain just what the Stoneman looks like, for he apparently can change his shape at will, and he is almost never described the same way twice.

That's from the unrevised book Outcasts: A Players Guide to Pariahs, which specifically dealt with Caitiff, Ronin, and other weirdos in the gamelines.

This same book also has my absolute favorite Discipline ever just for how -goofy- it is, one that I hold up as an example of the pre-Revised mindset. I present to you... Kineticism.

It gives you control over kinetic energy. Somehow. Because vampires. The first dot in it lets you reduce the damage from attacks - you soften the blows that would land on you and THEN soak. The second level lets you change the course of projectiles - you get enough successes and you can shoot someone with their own bullets. The next step? Getting punched means that you can punch HARDER - damage dealt to you increases the damage of your next attack. The next two ranks basically improve what's come before - the 4th just lets you improve the damage of your attacks without needing to be kicked in the nuts, while the 5th level improves your damage reduction.

This is a thing. This is a sample Discipline with actual rules laid one, and is just one of the many that were apparently created by the Stoneman.

And he's still kicking - he's got a mention in the Time of Thin Blood.

... holy gently caress now I kind of want to play an all thinblood game.

gatz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 5, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Who are we?

Bloodlines begins with a choice that almost no vampire actually gets to make (there are very few exceptions). Which clan to we belong to?

To put this into perspective, it's a question equivalent to another question we get to answer in character creation: are we male or female? I'm speaking in the biological sense, not the social construct sense that Troika confuses with sex.

What clan a vampire belongs to is determined by the clan of the vampire's sire. A human is turned vampire (made into a childe) by a process known as the embrace. We'll learn more about this in just a little bit. Know that a human does not get a choice as to who their sire is, since it's likely they didn't even know vampires existed before their own embrace. This is because of the Masquerade, how vampires blend into human society without their presence being known. The masquerade is not something that all vampires follow, nor it is something that vampires always did follow, but that's a discussion for another time.

I ask three questions of you: to which clan do we belong to, what is our sex, and what are we called? To answer the first question, knowledge of which clans we can choose from is necessary. To answer the second question, know that it is more of a cosmetic choice than anything else. Certain encounters with certain characters can be a little different, and the seduction skill is infinitely more useful for someone playing as female than male, but it's more of a superficial choice than anything substantial. As for the third question, the name I select will be my favorite of the names suggested by the thread. It will not be decided by popular vote.

Let's get to describing the clans. Note that is is not meant to be a comprehensive list of each clan's history, lore, backstory, etc. It's only meant to introduce them, to give the reader an idea of what they are about.

The manual doesn't explain Clan Brujah very well, so let me quote the white wolf wiki:

quote:

Clan Brujah is largely composed of rebels, both with and without causes. Individualistic, outspoken and turbulent, Brujah hold social change near to their undead hearts, and the clan's ranks contain some of the most violent of the Camarilla Kindred. ...

...The clan claims a history rich with warrior-poets, and it has adapted this concept into the modern night...

...The Rabble's espousal of change unites them, albeit tenuously, in their nightly crusades. Given a common enemy, Brujah with vastly differing ideals will join side by side to oppose their foe. After that foe is defeated, however, all bets are off and it's back to business as usual. A common Brujah theme involves the foundation of a Kindred "Utopia," or the re-creation of a mythical one from nights past, though each Brujah vampire has a different idea of what said Utopia is. ...

bloodlines' Manual posted:

The Brujah are passionate idealists. At times, this passion can lead them to trouble since they tend to make their arguments with their fists and not words. Their rage means the Brujah start with a -2 to Frenzy checks, but they get a +1 to their Unarmed Feat.

Disciplines: Celerity, Potence, and Presence.

Each clan has different Disciplines, which are essentially special powers every vampire is granted by virtue of their condition. Note that each clan has separate bloodlines, which each have their own disciplines, but Bloodlines (the game) glosses over this.

Every discipline has five levels, and each increasing level of Celerity just makes the increase in speed more dramatic. Another point of criticism for Bloodlines is that it oversimplifies disciplines. Celerity in the actual table top game has a multitude of different powers. There's no way that Bloodlines could take all of these into account, but, still, Troika didn't have to simplify it as much as they did.

Each increasing level of potence increases the bonus to melee and unarmed attacks.

Bloodlines' Manual posted:

If any clan were close to the Beast, it would be the wildly nomadic Gangrel. Usually preferring to be loners, the Gangrel clan has recently severed its ties with the Camarilla. With their feral nature, the Gangrel are much more attuned to animals and have the ability to take on animal forms. Like the Brujah, members of Clan Gangrel receive a –1 to Frenzy checks. When Frenzied, the Gangrel receive a +5 to strength on top of the regular +5 that all vampires receive as well as +5 bonuses to Wits and Stamina.

Disciplines: Animalism, Fortitude, and Protean

Animalism has different effects at each level:

Each level of fortitude increases the amount of damage that can be soaked.

bloodlines' Manual posted:

Insane by nature, the Malkavians see the world in a different light than anyone else. This “insight” allows Malkavians to see the true intentions of others. However, it also means they have a much more difficult time communicating with others on occasion. The nature of the Malkavians gives them a +2 bonus to the Inspection Feat.

I won't be spending much time on the Malkavians since I will not be accepting votes for playing as a malkavian. This is due to conversations not making any sense if you play as a malkavian. All normal dialogue options are replaced with nonsensical, arbitrary responses that make the game hard to follow unless you already know what's going on.

bloodlines' manual posted:

Hideous and disgusting, the Nosferatu are cursed with a grotesque form. Forced into the shadows of the night, the Nosferatu have learned to adapt and hide from society. Due to their hideous nature, the Nosferatu start with an Appearance of zero and their Seduction Feat can never be any higher than zero. Relying on rats for blood, the Nosferatu get 3 blood points when feeding on them.

The Nosferatu are the same as the Malkavians in the respect that they are more suited for a gimmick run of the game. You have to avoid being in the near vicinity of a human or else you get a)attention drawn to you or b)a masquerade violation if multiple people see you at the same time. Conversations, when playing as a Nosferatu, usually open with the NPC noting how disgusting you look and then the conversation continues as it would with any other clan. I will not be accepting votes for playing as a nosferatu.

The Toreador envision themselves as artists and visionaries. They seek the best of refinements, believe in being on the cutting edge and wearing haute couture. With their close ties to human society, the Toreador can buy humanity at half the cost. Additionally, the Toreador gain or lose double the amount of humanity when committing acts that benefit or harm human society.

Disciplines: Auspex, Celerity, and Presence.

See the above clans for descriptions of Celerity and Presence.

Each increase in Auspex increases a)the bonus to Wits b)the ponus to Perception (beginning at 1 point at level 2) c)the distance in which auras are revealed d)the duration of the effects.

The least trusted of the Camarilla clans, the Tremere are blood sorcerers. Using blood magic, or Thaumaturgy, the Tremere guard their secrets quite religiously and do not take outsiders into their confidence. Relying on their blood magic, the Tremere can only have a maximum of 4 for their physical attributes.

Disciplines: Auspex, Dominate, and Thaumaturgy

Would you believe me if I told you that Clan Tremere is an artificial clan? What I mean is that the Tremere were made vampires by a magic ritual. Allow me to quote the white wolf wiki again.

quote:

The Tremere began as House Tremere, Mages of the Order of Hermes named for their leader and founder, Tremere. At the end of the first millennia, the members of House Tremere realized the Hermitic arts were failing and found its immortality potions no longer working. Facing the possibility of losing everything, Tremere ordered research into alternate methods of sustaining their lives. House Tremere undertook numerous experiments, but it was Goratrix who devised a solution in his investigation of vampires.

In 1022, Goratrix invited Tremere and six of the founder's closest advisers to participate in the completed ritual, which promised true immortality. Whether Goratrix knew what would happen is known only by him and, perhaps, Tremere, but at the completion of the ritual the participants fell unconscious and were reborn as vampires, their avatars destroyed and magical abilities lost. The mages had gained their immortality but lost the power they lived for. Though the others would likely have slain Goratrix for his folly (or trickery), Tremere ordered them to halt and declared that they would remain at his side, leaving their chantries in the hands of subordinates while they discovered the powers of their new forms in secret.

In time [...] [t]hey would slowly begin Embracing the rest of the House, with each initiate being bound to the Inner Council to ensure their loyalty. In time, all members of House Tremere would die or become vampires.

See Clan Toreador for an explanation of Auspex.

Unfortunately, the Tremere don't get very many options to use Dominate in conversation.

Thaumaturgy is ridiculously powerful, and the only thing that offsets it is its high blood cost.

The bloodlines' manual does a poor job at explaining the Ventrue. To again quote the white wolf wiki:

quote:

Clan Ventrue has long been one of the proudest lines of vampires, and its members work hard to maintain a reputation for honor, genteel behavior, and leadership. A sense of noblesse oblige has ever pervaded the clan, accompanied by the genuine belief that the Ventrue know what's best for everyone. Considering themselves the oldest Clan, it's no surprise they see themselves as the enforcers of tradition and the rightful leaders of vampire society. Unsurprisingly, they've long been chosen from the ranks of nobility and privilege, traditionally those roles have included kings, knights, and merchant princes; in more modern years, businessmen and lawyers and government leaders have filled the void.

The general belief is that the Ventrue, a clan considered old-fashioned by most, is floundering in these latter nights; however, the Ventrue have a long history of adapting to keep hold of their power. In the modern nights the Ventrue are more politician than warrior, more CEO than baron. They remain the largest supporters of the Camarilla and the Masquerade, believing both institutions to be the surest means of protecting vampires from the mortal masses... and of guarding their own power.

Disciplines: Dominate, Fortitude, and Presence

See Clan Tremere for Dominate, Clan Gangrel for Fortitude, and clan Brujah for Presence. The Ventrue get the most opportunity to use Dominate during conversations.

So, let me recap. Three votes are to be cast.

1. Which clan do we belong to?
2. What is our sex?
3. What is our name?

The first two questions will be decided by popular vote. The last question will be selected by me from the thread's options.

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 17, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

ArchWizard posted:

Will there be any bonus updates showing Malkavian conversations?

Possibly, yes. Showing off certain things like the TV news would be nice.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The one time I played through this I went Brujah, because :anarchists:. But they're really kind of boring in this.

I'll talk about the anarchs when the time comes. The LP is being written by someone who identifies as an anarchist, so I'll try to make the necessary comparisons/criticisms of the anarchs to actual anarchist theory.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

HopperUK posted:

Yeesssss. Sebastian LaCroix is one of my favourite voice performances, and one of my favourite characters, in all of videogames. He's such a total shithead. This will be awesome.

That reminds me: I will try to do something similar to what Lt. Danger did in his LP of Neverwinter Nights 2 and its fantastic expansion when he wanted to show off the voice acting: either link to an mp3 or movie containing the voice acting of a major character, but then rely on transcription for the most part.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

gatz posted:

Keep spoilers in tags.

Could you spoiler tag that last paragraph, please?

gatz fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

GrimRevenant posted:

Fixed. My mistake. Sorry! :shobon:

Thanks!

Lazyfire posted:

Good luck with this, Gatz, I think we all know the history around people here trying to LP this game. It's stopped at least five people now.

RIP Hampooj. :qq:

TheMcD posted:

This should be a lot of fun.

Voting for a female Gangrel for entirely selfish reasons (already ran through the game as a Ventrue, dreaming about one day doing a narrative LP as a Ventrue).

I always have thoughts of doing a narrative LP, like some political LP of that old Floor 13 DOS game, then I remember that it takes me twice as long to write fiction than it does nonfiction.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

MJ12 posted:

Oh cool, Bloodlines.

Does anyone want the rough perspective of what's Going Down around this time? There's some huge shakeups which are canonically going down around this time in the underworld, the world of Mages (which the Tremere were until they sacrificed awesome True Magic for cut-rate blood magic), and, well, everything. Some of these shakeups are actually relevant (Week of Nightmares), others are just cool things that people might want to know for context, because again, I'm a Mage player not a Vamp one and my perspective is basically entirely that of an outsider looking in (and setting vampires on fire with plasma cannon).

(Also, amusingly enough, oWoD's Mage is still being supported after all this time).

That would be a nice set up to the LP and would definitely be featured in the second post.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I am the worst at reading comprehension, I will now retire to my basement and grow a beard, RIP. It is a pity that the two best runs aren't gonna happen though, that kinda takes most of the fun outta this game. :smith:

They are the two most unique runs, but they're also the two least accessible to someone not familiar with the game.

Lazyfire posted:

Don't quote me on that one, but back in the dark days when SSLP ruled the forums there were a few attempts at the game that ended right after either of those two plot points, and then a VLP of one that I believe got a bit further, but not much.

Game's cursed is what I'm saying.

A big benefit of doing a SSLP of this is that I can easily leave out content without breaking the flow like it would in a VLP. This will come in handy during those sewers.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
8.8 plus, as stated in the OP. No clan quest, companion mod, or meet n gently caress vampire mod or whatever the hell that poo poo is.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

inflatablefish posted:

What really annoyed me about the Nos in this game is that they don't even try to hide their disfigurement. A Nosferatu going unnoticed on the streets thanks to an all-concealing coat and hat is one thing; a Nos casually strolling around in a leather gimp outfit is just plain silly.

Yeah, wasn't there some level of obfuscation in the table top game that allowed the nos to look like a regular human?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Three pages in and I should get to making the first update!

The results are that we will be playing as a female Ventrue. The name Belle would have been perfect for a Gangrel, but instead...

ArchWizard posted:

A female Ventrue named Melissa.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a BloodNet reference, but it fits so perfectly.

Expect an update later today or tomorrow.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

We've seen some very important characters in this update, I'll only shine a light on two of them, for now.

Meet the Camarilla Prince of Los Angeles, Sebastian LaCroix.

He is voiced by Andy Milder

Listen:

You could probably tell from the way he wouldn't stop talking about laws, rules, code, and tradition, but LaCroix is a Ventrue. Born in Calais, France, LaCroix ascended in the ranks of Napoleon's army until, presumably in his early twenties, he was embraced by a Belgian Ventrue nobleman. He climbed through the Camarilla's ranks, having several charges in France and England before becoming Prince in Los Angeles in 2004. He is head of the LaCroix Foundation, and resides in the Venture Tower in downtown Los Angeles, commanding the city from his penthouse office.

What does it mean do be "prince"? Every city controlled by the Camarilla has one, it's essentialy the top poisition in a hierarchy of power. I'll let Vic explain things further:

Vicissitude posted:

The Camarilla has a number of positions of authority. Ostensibly, supreme power in any given city under Cam control is given to the Prince. This is a formal title for either gender, though some come up with their own fancy monikers for the position. The Prince can, and often does, lay down the law for their territory. Some are lenient, others are tyrannical. But it all comes down to the Prince and the city. New York, for instance, was under Sabbat control for a very, very long time. The Camarilla wrested control from them in 1999, but they've had to be extremely vigilant every since, and very strict when it comes to law enforcement.

Behind (occasionally), beside (usually), or (very rarely) above the Prince is the Council of Primogen. This is a group of advisers, each representative of a clan or group in the city. Usually, individuals on the council are members of the clan or group they represent, but in some cases, a better allied spokesman/woman can be found. As advisers do, they advise the prince on the state of his/her territory. Usually it's for the better good, but there's always a certain amount of political maneuvering going on. Sometimes the Ventrue want to push into Toreador holdings to buy them out, the Malkavians have some bizarre plan that they believe will benefit all, and of course the Nosferatu have information they can trade for a small favor somewhere down the road...

The next step up is the Justicar. As the Primogen do in a single city, the Justicars represent their entire Clan in Camarilla politics. From night to night, they generally go about Cam territory to address issues that have arisen in the interest of the health of the Sect. But since they represent their clan as well as the sect, they usually bend their ears in that direction as issues come up.

The Justicars are the public face of the Inner Circle, the mysterious elders who actually run the sect and choose the course of its actions. Little is known about them, except that they meet every 13 years.

There are other positions of authority, but I'll go over them as we meet them. One, we've already met, but we'll see how he rolls in just a bit. :shh:

There is also someone whom we know as Mr. Rodriguez.

I'll do a more in-depth look at him later. For now, all we need to focus on is that we were saved from execution by his actions. Did it have something to do with us? Was he upset at seeing a fellow Kindred executed? Or does it have to do with something else, something political in nature?

Answers will have to wait until the next part.

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 17, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Can I ask the thread a question? Do people prefer 1024x768 or 800x600 screenshot size?

By the way, the majority of the lp will not be in that comic book style. Just the cutscenes.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I'm not sure what the actual story is behind the embrace of the main character, other than the back of the game's box says "SEDUCED IN A DARK ALLEY ...". It's left up to the player's imagination. Beats me how LaCroix's minions knew about it, but it's worth noting that a good amount of time passed in between when we first see the clock (12:37 AM) and the last time (3:46 AM). So it's not unthinkable that someone could have figured it out and had the time to act on it, somehow.

gatz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 13, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Thanks for the informative post.

OAquinas is one of the guys who chimed in the the Redemption LP about Vampire lore. If you've got questions, he might(?) have answers.

GrimRevenant posted:

The ability is called Mask of a Thousand Faces, and yes, I also remember this happening.

I want to say that the plus patch makes this happen, but I can't tell you what the nos intro looks like without it installed.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

VulpesInculta posted:

Finally got round to install this after buying it ages ago and not playing it.

Seems like there are a lot of experienced players here. I'm playing with 8.8. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to not gimp myself/make a strong character?

Don't bother with ranged weapons, for one.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

brozozo posted:

I dunno, I seem to remember the automatic shotgun being awesome as all hell. :black101:

Ehhh, it's as good as a ranged weapon is going to get, but it's still not as good as melee and disciplines.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Romeo Charlie posted:

Ranged weapons are only good once the stats are maxed out for them. Otherwise you're at a disadvantage if you're using them at the start/mid game.

The playthrough I did before starting the LP was of a Torreador specializing in ranged weapons and Auspex. I was still doing just as much damage with melee weapons, save for the sniper rifle and flamethrower.. It also doesn't help that the shooting mechanics are about as awkward as they could have made them.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Kacie posted:

I believe there's yet another theory on how the PC has such a good blood pool, but it's specific to this game, plus half spoilers and half way out there theorizing based on credits.

I'll hold off on posting in spoiler blocks unless gatz is okay with this, but suffice to say later on we can add yet another theory to the pile on why the PC has a high blood pool.

Go ahead, that's what spoiler tags are for.

Also, expect an update later today.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Some in the thread had questions about exactly who we are, so let me be clear.

We are Melissa the Ventrue. I chose the name from the thread's suggestions because it's a perfect reference to Melissa Van Helsing in BloodNet, with us being a Ventrue.

I will be handling the allocation of all experience points. This is not to say that you cannot make suggestions - it just means that since I'm the one who's playing the game, I'm going to shape our character how I see fit. You can see that I'm focusing on dialogue skills - persuasion, seduction, etc. They're very useful in Bloodlines.

I will listen to any suggestions you have to offer on where to spend experience when. If it's spoilery advice, please tag it.

After the ordeal in the Theater, LaCroix thought it best that we be let out the back way, into a dirty alley. Shouldn't he provide transportation to Santa Monica? A cab, maybe? Something doesn't feel right, but we have no choice but to continue forward.

Just to the left of the door, a familiar face stands leaning against the brick wall. We saw this guy in the Theater, leaning against a pillar while smoking. When he sees us here, he immediately starts a conversation with us.

Let me point out that the game's dialogue files include what appear to be stage directions. This series of lines starts with "[laughing at something no one else thinks is funny]".

Who are you?

I'm Jack. What's important is, I'm offering help. You make it back from Santa Monica with your hide and we'll trade life stories, m'kay? Till then, I got about... this much time. You in or out?

Jack here could just be attempting to exploit a naive, young, recently embraced Kindred that doesn't know what's what, but it is true that we could use a helping hand. For better or worse, we'll say yes.

Okay. I could use the help.

Alright.

The stage directions were: [like the Fonz].

Sounds fishy. We'll decline (we don't get a choice anyway)

I like it where I am. At least I'm out of that theatre.

Christ, it's stuffy in there, huh? This is much better. Now, we ain't got much time, but I figure somebody should fill you in on the bare bones stuff at least, ya know. Could save your hide.

You look wobbly; you even had a drink yet?

Drink of what?

Oh man, we're poppin' a cherry here! Ha ha ha! Ah, you're gonna love this! Alright, check it out. Blood: it's your new rack o' lamb, your new champagne - blood's your new fuckin' heroin, kid. Ha ha! Get ready though, cuz, hey, it's never as sweet as the first time.

What do I do?

Well, down around the corner there, I saw this human. Poor S.O.B. can't find his car... hehehehe.

It's been one of those nights. I could use a drink.

Now go for it. Be sure though - and this is important so listen up - be sure not to drain 'em dry, okay? It might be hard to resist, but don't kill 'em.

Alright.

Bloodlines has a little quirk where the main character has to end every conversation. Anyway, let's find this guy.

Whenever I can't find my car, I always look in dirty alleys where no car would ever be parked, as well.

I imagine recently embraced Kindred might feel bad about feeding when they do it for the first time. This guy is stupid enough where I'm sure it wouldn't bother anyone.

I'm joking. Press the F key to feed.

Soon enough, our blood meter fills up. You've got to stop feeding before the top blood meter (the blood meter of whomever you're feeding from) empties entirely, or else they're dead.

Then the person you fed from just stands there in a daze. I'd be pretty dazed too, I guess.

Let's get back to Jack. Hopefully he hasn't left us high and dry.

You'd never see someone of the Camarilla dressed like Jack, talk like Jack, or lean against doors like Jack. Vampire habitus.

In Bloodlines, when not playing as a Malkavian, dialogue options essentially fall into these categories: sarcastic, antagonistic, and agreeable. NPCs usually shrug off any sarcastic jab you throw out, but being antagonistic or agreeable have very real consequences. I'm going to let you all decide how we act towards the main characters and the factions they represent.

Great! When do I get my cape? Do I get to pick the color?

Alright now, you got the blood, you're feelin' all kickass, feelin' better than your best day livin' - but wait! It gets better! All Kindred... Kindred, that's uh, our word for vampire... all Kindred have a few things in common, things that set them right square above humans on the food chain.

Yeah? Like what?

Like sharper senses, a body that can take a beating, and, if you play your cards right, eternal life. That's no sure bet, but still, a chance at immortality's not a bad deal. And that's just for starters; fringe benefits for joinin' the club.

So I'm going to live forever?

Jack is probably my favorite character in all of Bloodlines, and it's easy to see why. It's clear the writers had fun writing his lines, and they're great lines at that. Shining with personality.

Got it.

Let's do it! Just gotta open this door...

This door might be the most hardest enemy in the game. Getting the game to recognize that you're trying to open it is very difficult and requires you to press your body against it about a dozen times.

But when we do, we're faced with a predictable puzzle designed to get the player familiar with the controls: jump on these boxes to get up to the walkway.

Hey, what's that?

That's a pretty dramatic cutscene just to show off a lockpick. It has those blue squares emanating from it because of a feat called Inspection. Holy poo poo is inspection useless in Bloodlines. Hardly any items are "hidden", and of those that are, they're easily findable unless you're careless, and the only purpose they have is to sell to a vendor. Don't bother with this feat if you play the game.

At the end of the walkway, we find Jack.

It seems that Jack is a few steps ahead of us.

The Sabbat got wind of the gathering here, so they figured they'd raise a little hell and put a little heat on the new :airquote: prince. :airquote:

What's the prince a prince of?

No time for political rundown. Job one? Get outta here alive. Sabbat might be mindless, but they hit like a Mack truck, like raging savages - nothing a fledgling like you wants to mess with.

Fledgling is just a term for a recently-embraced vampire.

What am I supposed to do?

We turn our attention back to Melissa and Jack...

I'm on it.

The door's locked, but we just happened to find a lockpick a little bit ago. Lockpicking is simple. Either you have a high enough skill in it or not. Dexterity, as well as the security skill affect what your lockpick level is.

Again, we find Jack a step ahead of us.

I had my moments.

Cool. Now if you want a lesson on how really not to act, take notes from those Sabbat assholes. You're a big bad vampire... yeah, great, congrats... now keep it to yourself. You go roar and you beat your chest and... that's what you can expect.

Wait! I've still got that list of people from high school! Why not?

It's also why you don't go jugglin' dumpsters or outrun the 8:15 from Sacramento, and it's... and it's why you didn't know any of this when you woke up this morning.

Ah. I get it.

It's the masquerade, if you're incredibly dense. Keep in mind that Jack is an anarch - meaning that it's not just the Camarilla that see the benefit of having some sort of masquerade.

We'll talk more about the anarchs and the problems they have with the Camarilla later.

Keep our secret secret and you make things easier on all of us. We're livin' in the age of cell phone cameras... gently caress-ups ain't tolerated. Makes sense enough, right? Well, it ain't a casual thing for a fledgling like you.

What do you mean? What could happen?

I see.

Alright now, don't worry, cuz I know the area a little - and you know what? I'm glad we're in this situation, you and I. It illustrates a point... you gotta utilize your surroundings.

Okay. But what does that mean, exactly?

Ya do what ya gotta do. Theft, destruction of property, breaking and entering. Heh. These'll be the least of your sins before the night's out.

So look around here. We gotta get out the back there through that magnetically sealed door. There must be a key someplace.

I'll find it.

These tutorial messages have been popping up, and I've been declining to show them off, but this is an exception.

In Masquerade areas, breaking the Masquerade can carry dire consequences, such as unwanted attention of vampire hunters. After five Masquerade violations, it's game over.

A calendar on the wall shows us that it's October, and a poster on the wall features a lovely metal band called Die My Darling.

A note on the wall tells us that the password to the computer is chopshop. Something gives me the feeling that the key is in the safe below the note. The computer should allow us to unlock the safe.

>safe

The password works, and we unlock the safe.

It's a keycard.

Got it.

Using our keycard, we exit out into a stairwell, which we descend and exit out into another alley.

We've taken some damage from that ambush - bashing damage, to be precise. In Bloodlines, bullets cause bashing damage to vampires and lethal damage to everyone else.

That brings us to the different types of damage. Vic will explain:

Vicissitude posted:

There are 3 kinds that we'll deal with in this game. Bashing, Lethal, and Aggravated. You can resist the damage with a 'soak' roll, basically absorbing the damage rather than sustaining it. Base pool for soaking damage is Stamina + Fortitude (if you have it).

Bashing: Basically, blunt force trauma. Impacts and some various and sundry other means cause Bashing damage to vampires. Due to their undead nature and lack of organ function, vampires halve the amount of Bashing damage they take from any given source, rounding down, after soak. For Caineites, even electrical shocks are considered bashing as you can't stop a heart that doesn't beat. But they still can take damage from it, since eventually that voltage starts to cause burns and tissue damage.

Lethal: Lethal damage is just that, lethal. Ordinarily, anyway. We're talking the walking dead who feed on the vital juices of their mortal victims. Again, vampires are pretty resilient. Unlike a human, a gunshot or a sword slash is a minor inconvenience. They can soak Lethal damage which would severely wound or kill a mortal. Vampires can also spend vitae to heal themselves of Lethal damage, as they can Bashing. Mortals have to wait for time and medical attention to take its course.

Aggravated: Ooh, now we're getting into some nasty business. Some things are the antithesis of a vampire's existence. Sunlight, naturally, and fire are both sources that deal out Aggravated damage. Mage Spells, the claws and fangs of other vampires or werewolves, some magical relics, all of these can dole out the harshness, and harsh it is. While lesser damage can be healed with blood on a one-for-one basis, Aggravated damage takes a full night of rest and FIVE blood points (standard 13th-generation characters have a max capacity of 10). If you spend a Willpower point, basically a supreme dedication of effort towards healing, and another 5 blood points, the vampire can heal a second level of Aggravated damage that day.

As a vampire takes more and more damage, it begins to wrap around into a more severe level. Enough Bashing damage and eventually you start to cause severe tissue damage, turning to Lethal. Keep going, and you can start to pulp the flesh, completely taking out large chunks of meat. A source of Lethal damage can eventually just cut away pieces of the body, turning to Aggravated. [This feature is not implemented in Bloodlines.]

Jack saved us from getting dusted. What's he got to say about it?

Hey hey! Look at them potholes! Those'll close up soon enough - better feed though.

Health regenerates for a Vampire, and it regenerates even faster when they feed.

What's the difference? Blood's blood, right?

Well, when it comes to feeding, it's quality blood you're looking for, not the quantity. Bums and lowlife don't pack the same punch that a healthy, well-bred human will. Juicebags with a pedigree: that's the good stuff. But you gotta take what you can get. You ever had a Ph.D., kid? Oh, that's good stuff.

If you say so.

Remember what I said though, don't kill them - least not the innocent ones. You're a monster now, make no mistake - one of the damned and the fallen. You need to hold onto every last shred of Humanity you have.

Listen up, y'all.

Let's say I get a little overzealous... what happens then?

An innocent's an innocent. You kill one, even a worthless bum, even by accident, and it's gonna cost you a piece of your own Humanity, bring you closer to that Beast you got wellin' up inside you.

The "Beast"? What exactly does that mean?

So I can't kill anyone? That seems a little, uh, restricting.

Ah ah ah! I said innocent humans. If some rear end in a top hat levels a twelve-gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is a vital part of Humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact.

I think I follow.

The only way to fight the Beast is to keep in touch with your Humanity, and don't go hungry. It's a fine line.

Got it.

Alright, now go feed. Careful, though... he's gonna drain fast.

Be back in a minute.

Just down the alley to the right we find this poor sucker, and as Jack said, he drains really quick.

As a Ventrue, we run the risk of vomiting up the blood we drain from the homeless and other lesser sources. It doesn't happen this time, though.

Back to Jack.

As a Ventrue, we also cannot gain blood from feeding on rats. The reverse of this is a Nosferatu, who gains double the bloodpoints other clans (excluding Ventrue, who get none) get from feeding on rats.

My clan won't live on something as dirty as rat blood!

I can see why. I'm not down with rodent myself.

Keep it down. Got someone around the way here.

Just one guy?

Not too much of a threat by himself, but you never know if there's more in shoutin' range. You're gonna have to sneak past.

Sneak where?

The building across from us, with the garage door? There's some double doors on the far side. I'll meet you inside. Just stay low and stick to the shadows. And don't let him see you.

I'll do my best. See you in a minute.

Alright, go.

Gone.

Sneaking is a combination of Dexterity and Stealth. That meter on the left indicates the proximity of any enemies and their chances of detecting us if they are looking our way.

Green means we are completely safe, yellow means we might be seen, and red means they will see you if they look in your direction.

An enemies chance of detecting us is directly tied to our Sneaking feat. If we are detected, our enemies will often say as much and come to investigate.

We go around the car to avoid the Sabbat.

Something draws the Sabbat towards the warehouse, but a giant explosion sends him running back. Now that the way is clear, we can get it.

What exploded, and why it didn't trigger any other explosions is a mystery. Inside the warehouse, we find Jack.

That's pretty green.

The Sabbat, you see, they don't have the most rigorous training program. In fact, that poor sod is lucky if he knows he's a vampire.

How can that be?

Ah, he was probably just turned and beaten over the head. They like to do that... make shock troops, cannon fodder. Put him out of his misery.

citybeatnick had an interesting post related to this:

citybeatnik posted:

In the book "Midnight Siege", which covers what happens when Kindred try to take over a city from another sect, it discusses some Ventrue neonate that crunched the numbers and was able to run a statistical analysis about the Sabbat - they Embraced heavily from the gang cultures for their foot soldiers, which led to lots of African Americans and Hispanics. If I recall correctly, he presented this finding to some elders and went "see! If we eliminated the causes of poverty in the area, then the Sabbat wouldn't be able to get their hands on battle-hardened recruits as easily!"

The Ventrue's response to that bit of news was to nod a bit and go "Right, Sabbat have lots of not-whites in it, everyone start funding white supremacist groups!"

That's also the book that has a sidebar discussing what the local Camarilla members do when it realizes it's losing a city - they pump all their resources in to reform campaigns, make sweeping anti-corruption changes (and make sure they stick), and shitcan all of their bought-and-paid-for politicians so they get replaced with honest people.

Then they gently caress off for a bit and let the Sabbat slowly realize that they're going to have to sink lots of resources in to re-corrupting the place, during which the Camarilla regroup. The narrator of that section is literally shocked at how underhanded a tactic that is. Of course, the siege of New York by the Camarilla could be viewed as a jaded retelling of the Broken Windows campaign...

Anyway. The writers at White Wolf were never the most subtle when it came to their writing, as some of the books they put out will attest to. An easy shorthand for whether or not a city, canonically in the WoD, is Sabbat-held is to sit there for a moment and wonder "I wonder if there's a large minority population in the city that is not primarily of European stock..." - if the answer is "Yes, it seems to have a large African American/Hispanic community", then it's Sabbat-held.

It's not easy to tell what race these Sabaat footsoldiers are, but that doesn't change the fact that this is the combat section of the tutorial, and we've got to go dust him.

I'll do my best

He is a vampire, so be ready.

I was born ready.

Go get 'im

I'm on it.

At this point in the game, we don't have a real weapon, so we've just got to use our fists. The Unarmed Combat feat is a combination of Strength and Brawl. It directly affects our success in unarmed combat.

There are different attacks depending on which direction we are moving when we initiate our attack.

We can also block our enemies attacks by pressing and holding the Attack Mode key (default TAB).

In most cases where there are heavy sections of combat, you can rely on your sneak skill to get around everything. Sometimes there can be options to talk your way out of fighting. The success in whichever route you choose depends on where you spent your experience.

After dusting that guy, we take his tire iron and head back to Jack.

Sounds like a good strategy.

Alright, head down into the basement, through the grate in there. Keep that tire iron handy. I'll be there in a minute.

Down the passage, we run into a cop, of all people.

This guy gets added into the game when you install the plus patch. His sole purpose is to show off the different types of dialogue skills that can be used.

Red indicates a Domination response, which requires blood to use. Blue indicates a Persuasion response, Pink indicates a Seduction response, and Green indicates an Intimidation Response.

We'll go with Seduction. Why? Because "[m]en are always willing to believe two things about a woman: one, that she is weak, and two, that she finds him attractive."

[Seduction] Most men don't fear me until it's far too late. Wow - smart and sexy....

Th-thank you? Look lady, I don't know what you want but I'm not about to take a bullet for this job.

Just show me the way out.

At this point we get a choice which serves as an example of the choices I'm going to have the thread make. This is essentially a decision of low vs high humanity. Either we send him ahead, into the dangerous unknown, or have him stay back, where it's safe. To demonstrate the consequences of our actions, I'm going with the low humanity option.

Go ahead.

That's a pretty casual strut. Almost like he doesn't even see the Sabbat up ahead.

Choices have consequences. Every shred of humanity we lose brings us closer to the beast.

This is the part of the tutorial that shows off stealth kills. They're one hit kills that look different depending on which melee weapon you have equipped (or if you're unarmed).

Soon after killing that vampire, Jack runs in.

The more, the merrier.

Let's continue on.

This is the section of the tutorial that has the player use their Disciplines.

All vampires have an ability called Bloodbuff. It gives the user a temporary bonus to all of their physical attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Stamina). It's useful in a variety of situations, like picking a lock, that would otherwise be too difficult.

The door up ahead is too difficult for us to pick, so we've got to use bloodbuff to temporarily boost our lockpicking skill.

As a Ventrue, we have three disciplines: Dominate, Fortitude, and Presence.

Fortitude just gives bonuses to soak rolls. Again, Jack catches up with us after killing this vampire.

That circle-effect is what Fortitude does in first person. Jack thought the best way to speak to us is with machinery blocking our view.

I'll meet you over there.

Meet ya there. Don't let 'em catch ya.

No problem.

Our next discipline is Presence.

It's essential fuction is to stun and debuff enemies close to us.

We also have Dominate, which has individual powers at each level. Level two is Brainwipe, which mesmerises enemies close to us until we attack them.

Moving on...

When sneaking, we can distract enemies walking routes by throwing items around.

Throwing one of those empty sardine packets(?) let's us get through the door that Sabbat was guarding.

Did you expect to find anyone else behind it?

So what do we do?

Ah, they probably seen too much. Here... take this thirty-eight. Fuckin' peashooter, but a few shots and it'll take down a human.

Thanks.

Jack speaks the truth. For the most part, you're wasting your time if you use ranged weapons. Even against humans.

Useless against vampires?

Well, yeah, some are more lethal than others, of course. Watch out for those shotguns - ouch - those things can smart, I tell ya.

I hear you.

Okay.

We've been given our first ranged weapon. Ranged combat, a combination of Perception and Firearms, is a feat that affects (predictably) how well you shoot a gun.

When you equip a gun, you will see the ranged combat cursor. It's spread and the speed at which it focuses is a direct result of the value of your Ranged Combat feat.

Let's try it out. Up we go.

I really don't liked ranged weapons in Bloodlines. You always have to wait 2-3 seconds for the reticle to focus and ensure that you get the perfect shot. Even then, melee weapons do just as much (or more, in some cases) damage, and you don't have to worry about ammunition or being backed into a corner when facing someone not using firearms.

Just gently caress this. Firearms are so lovely. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I welcome you to show me.

After dispatching with those two gangsters, Jack appears by the elevator.

Until the next night, when the Camarilla finds some way to strike back. Parry, dodge, spin 'n all that. And so on, and so on, and so on...

So this is normal?

Well, to be honest, you came at a, well, an interesting time, let's say. The Camarilla, the Sabbat... well, in LA these are the new kids on the block. There's already plenty o' Kindred had stakes down in California long before them.

Hmmm....

Sure, and here's your gun.

We've met my favorite character in this update.

Jack is voiced by John DiMaggio

Listen:

Born the year 1611, Jack grew up to be a pirate operating in the Caribbean, and although he would encourage others to believe he was captain, he could never actually rise above the level of second mate. This was because his violent nature and wild temper caused other pirates to distrust him. However, they did admire him for his strength and loyalty to his shipmates.

Jack lived a long time for a pirate and at the age of 40, he retired to Barbados. He had amassed quite a fortune from piracy, and bought himself a pardon. Jack had trouble settling down and ended up on the run from the law after beating up a pompous aristocrat who was rude to him. Jack was found by his sire, a Brujah woman known as Mama Lion, who had been fighting Ventrue expansion in the Caribbean. When Mama Lion offered Jack an eternity of battle against oppression, Jack readily accepted.

Jack has been a proud Brujah and a sworn enemy of the Ventrue ever since. Jack played a part in the Anarch Revolt in Los Angeles against the former Toreador prince, Don Sebastian. Since his days as a pirate, Jack has adopted a biker style and is immensely popular among young anarchs who adore his bold style. He is a master of the celerity and potence disciplines and knows many other tricks. He is an extraordinarily powerful vampire, who disposed of two Sabbat vampires with relative ease. Despite his appearance Jack is not easily provoked in open battle, but his mischievous and under-handed tactics and tricks have made him legendary amongst the younger anarchs.

Next time, we enter Santa Monica.

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 17, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

As awesome Jack's character is, it'd be untrue and a disservice to the other Anarchs to say he solely led the uprising in LA. Others would say that Salvador Garcia, or Jeremy MacNeil were the masterminds of the Revolt, killed off LaCroix' predecessor, Don Sebastian Juan Dominguez, and established the manifestos for future Anarch Revolts.

Curious though that we don't see either Garcia or MacNeil in the intro though.

I didn't say that he solely led the revolt, but your point is valid enough that it made me rephrase the statement in order to prevent confusion.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Huh, weird. I forgot about that. I think it's only for the user-created instances, since I remember the special fonts still being in-use on the vanilla special dialogue options.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

GrimRevenant posted:

e: Wait, is talking about upcoming weapons spoilers?

I guess it's okay if you don't tag them.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also if you hack your stats at the start of the game Jack has hidden dialogue where he calls you a cheater.

TheMcD posted:

And if you're a Malkavian, you can tell him Malkav himself changed your stats. IIRC, he doesn't buy it, though.

jack_tutorial.dlg posted:

{ 1001 }{ I'd be pissed if this wasn't so cute. Look at you tryin' so hard; it's absolutely precious! }{ I'd be pissed if this wasn't so cute. Look at you tryin' so hard; it's absolutely precious! }{ # }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }
{ 1002 }{ What do you mean? How I gave myself these incredible stats? }{ What do you mean? How I gave myself these incredible stats? }{ 1006 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ Malkav made me cheat on my stats! }
{ 1003 }{ I'm just too weak to play the game in the way it was meant to be played. }{ I'm just too weak to play the game in the way it was meant to be played. }{ 1006 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ A weakling like myself can't complete the game. }
{ 1004 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }
{ 1005 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }
{ 1006 }{ Yeah. Whenever you're done, sweetcheeks, we can move this show along. }{ Yeah. Whenever you're done, sweetcheeks, we can move this show along. }{ # }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }
{ 1007 }{ I'm sorry, I'll create a new character. }{ I'm sorry, I'll create a new character. }{ 1001 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ I am forever lost contemplating infinity. }
{ 1008 }{ I use a mod or something similar, please let me continue. }{ I use a mod or something similar, please let me continue. }{ 11 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ Modified I have the game entrails, please let me stride on. }
{ 1009 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Rockopolis posted:

Which is highly ironic, when you think about it. The clan of snooty one percenter vampires literally cannot feed off the poor, and instead are forced to eat the rich.

They can feed on the poor - they just might throw up depending on the source. Even then it's only a chance.

Somebody with more knowledge about the oWoD can chime in about this and give a better answer.

EphemeralToast posted:

Jack isn't a Ventrue though, right?

Jack is a Brujah, but there's a difference in the quality of blood, as he says. Ventrue run the risk of throwing bad blood up.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Captain Oblivious posted:

While most Sabbat don't adhere to the path of Humanity, it'd be a mistake to think they're all in thrall to the Beast. There are alternative philosophies that Vampires follow to retain control of the Beast other than Humanity. Humanity is simply the easiest one. We all have experience being human.

Care to elaborate?

Also, and this question goes to anyone, how do Sabbat handle vampires that defect from the Camarilla and try to join the Sabbat?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

StoryTime posted:

Continuing on this train of thought, the actual matter-of-fact reason Jack's a Brujah, is because he was embraced by a Brujah. And that happened because the reckless pirate lifestyle he had as a mortal made him interesting enough for a Brujah to sire. Same goes for LaCroix; he quickly rose to a high military rank during the Napoleonic Wars, which made him an excellent candidate for a Ventrue to embrace. Vampires are strongly defined by their mortal lives, to the point of it deciding their clan more often than not. All of this can escape the type of player that goes "Cool, I get to be a rebel badass with Celerity and Potence and poo poo!"

While the clans are bound by blood, they are also very much gatherings of like-minded Kindred. Looking at it from this perspective, the clans are kind of another coping mechanism for the vampiric state. When you surround yourself with others like you, it's easier to keep on doing things a lot like you did while still alive, which helps you hold on to whatever humanity you have left.

Of course sometimes things just go to poo poo, and someone ends up embraced in whatever clan because it seemed like a great idea to someone at the time. Which tends to quickly end with the kind of scene that Bloodlines opens with.

Agreed. Sectarianism within a clan (ex. between bloodlines), as well as the Antitribu, complicate the picture, but I think your point still stands taking those into account.

gatz fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 20, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Samuel Clemens posted:

That said, you're doing a great job so far, gatz. VtM: Bloodlines is a real gem and I'm happy to see you do it justice.

We're really only one real update in, but I appreciate the kind words.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

mortons stork posted:

On a side note, wherever did hampooj go? I remember being out of the loop for a couple of months, then forgot he was even doing an LP and only remembered now that I saw this thread that he was doing one.

Disappeared off the face of SA. I remember that near or after the last update he made, he said he finally got a job and didn't have as much free time, so I assume he's just got different priorities now. Too bad he was apparently pretty embarrassed about that and stopped frequenting SA entirely. He was a good poster.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Welcome to our lovely apartment in Santa Monica. This place is a dump. LaCroix could have done a lot better than this, but this is what we're given.

We find 3 Blue Blood packs in the fridge, and a pill bottle and watch (!) in the bathroom. Bloodlines is set in 2004. People still used watches back then. Almost 10 years later and the only people who wear watches are old as gently caress, or wear them as a fashion accessory.

Turning our attention to our desk that looks like it was found next to a dumpster, there are three things of immediate note. The first is a note.

Mercurio doesn't seem like such a bad guy, but you can never tell for sure if he's just getting all buddy-buddy with us for his own gain.

In the world of Vampire, you've got to be aware that that stuff can happen. As a young fledgling, we're viewed as a tool by many who would use us for their own gain.

We take the $100 from the desk, and check out the folded card sitting on our desk.

Downtown... Downtown LA? We're stuck in Santa Monica, and who knows when we'll be there. Something to keep in our back pocket, anyway.

Last, let's check the computer.

Email posted:

<Subject> A reminder
<From> LaCroix

Mercurio will contact you when you arrive in Santa Monica. Waste no time in meeting with him. - SL

We know, LaCroix.

Email posted:

<Subject> DANG! It's big you know!!!111
<From> Hung Low@trojanbotnet.vtm

PENIS ENLARGEMENT! Watch the girls come running! Call today!
1-800-555-STICK!

I don't think we need to worry about that.

Email posted:

<Subject> Kilpatrick's Krime-Puter!
<From> arthur@dirtcheapinternet.vtm

Looking for that lazy rear end ex-husband who's late on his alimony payments? How about that jerk who knocked you up? Look no further! With Arthur Kilpatrick's Amazing Krime-Puter, you can find almost anyone with a record, and these days that's just about everyone! So come on down to Arthur Kilpatrick's Bail Bonds! If you've got the dead beat, we've got the technology to find him!

If we need to find someone, it sounds like Kilpatrick's is a place we can go.

Email posted:

<Subject> Welcome
<From> Mercurio

Hey. Welcome to town. Come on over to my place once you get situated, and we'll talk about what you'll need to get the job done. I'm going to pick up explosives right now, some Astrolite. . . I should be back by the time you come over. I'm at 24 Main Street, in number 4. Walk to the end of the alley and my building is the next one on the right. - M

Mercurio's picking up explosives? Whatever we're supposed to do must be serious.

Email posted:

<Subject> The opening
<From> a friend

The game beings. A pawn is moved.

Hmmm... Could this be spam? Or something more?

Bah, forget it. Turning on the television, the newscaster is reporting about some new creature that washed up on the beach. The background says "Terror on the Pier". What could've happened?

We won't find any answers standing around in our apartment, at any rate. We should go.

Exiting our apartment and going down the stairs, a newspaper, sitting on someone else's doormat, catches our eye.

That must have been what the news report was about. It's surprising that the L.A. Sun would print that picture on the front page, or even at all, but it's also intriguing in another sense. The killing looks unique enough where it could have possibly been a werewolf that committed the killing. But why tie him up on the pier for everyone to see? It means that whoever, or whatever, did the killing wanted to send a message. We should check this out when we make our way down to the pier.

A side note: there was a completed game caled Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of Gaia that never got released.

However, you can view all of the cutscenes from the game, stitched together, here, and what looks to be a gameplay clip here. The cinematic director wrote a small amount about the game on his website.

Exiting our apartment, a homeless guy strikes up a conversation.

Here, it's not much, but I hope it helps,

We lose $10 but gain back some humanity. A reasonable trade.

Mercurio said his place was just to the right when we go down the alley leading to our apartment.

And to the right we find... Mercurio? We don't know what he looks like, but it's safe to assume that the deal for the explosives didn't go as planned, if that's him.

And who's that crying over him?

As soon as he enters his apartment building, she disappears.

She was added into that cutscene by the recent Plus patch, if you're wondering. It doesn't make much sense. Those of who who have played the game know who it is, but please don't spoil it yet, because we haven't met her.

That's the music that plays throughout the streets of Santa Monica. Bloodlines' soundtrack is pretty good, so the music is worth listening to. It also played throughout the tutorial, for whatever reason.

Anyway, it seems that this guy is having trouble with his car. So much trouble that he decided to park it on the sidewalk. Let's confront him about it.

What are you doing?

Let's try to get money out of this guy before anything else.

[Persuade] Terribly sorry to trouble you, my walllet's been stolen and I need to take a cab.

Good. Now...

[Dominate] Meet me in the alley.

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

We drink just enough blood to refill our meter entirely. As OAquinas pointed out, it doesn't make sense if the target's blood meter represents the full amount of blood in their body, since they live if any amount is left. It probably represents the least amount of blood they can live with.

With that little diversion out of the way, we should check up on whoever that was. I'm guessing it's Mercurio.

That's a lot of blood loss. No normal human could lose this much and be okay.

P.S. I'd love to link to the little piano piece that plays in here, but I can't find it with the other music, or in any other folder.

Ouch. That does not look good.

Just kidding. There was a cappadocian vampire named Mercurio back in Redemption. No relation, thanks to Christof Romuald. Have I mentioned that I'm not happy with that LP? One thing I wished I would have done is show off the soundtrack more than two times.

Are you Mercurio?

Uhh... yeah. You're lookin' for the Astrolite? I'm... oh... I can feel a draft on my fuckin' insides! They shanked me - the bastards! The blood ain't workin' no more - my head, it feels... cracked. Uh. I think my eye's popped.

He says that "the blood ain't workin' no more", meaning that he's been fed vampire blood. Mercurio is a ghoul: a creature that is fed vitae and gains some of the benefits and drawbacks of being a vampire. The effects last one month, and the process must be repeated if the ghoul wishes to remain a ghoul. A ghoul stops aging when fed vitae, and if their supply runs out, then they progress to what their normal age would be. If a ghoul is old enough, this means certain death.

Stay with me. What happened?

I got... I went... Uh... What is this lump? Is this my rib? Oh, holy poo poo, my rib is pokin' through my side?!? Oh. I'm all numb... you gotta look and tell me!

It's a broken bottle. Now, tell me what happened to you.

Goddamn chemist! Can't trust any operators in LA. I verified him, organization seemed reliable. Guy mixes up speed, his crew sells it. Occasionally does explosives. I set up a drop. I show up at the beach with the money, right? Four of these guys, they come out of nowhere. Junkie pricks - hit me with a bat! Head feels like I got a friggin' horse kickin' it. I never shoulda gone alone... amateur move. I shoulda handled those pricks. Goddamn dirty Cali rat bastards. Those cocksuckers - beat me rotten, left me for a stiff. I had to crawl to my car, crawl my rear end up here. The vamp blood's the only thing holdin' me together. But poo poo, they got the money, they got the Astrolite...

Vamp blood. Let's press Mercurio on this, see what his story is.

Vamp blood?

Right, you're straight off the bus. Once a month I get fed vampire blood. Heals me faster, makes me stronger than a normal human. I don't age. By lookin' at me, you wouldn't realize it, but I'm almost sixty.

So where do I find the astrolite now?

Those small-time sons of bitches live out in a dump on the beach. Four or five of 'em. The one's got the explosives is Dennis. Got my money too, that prick!

How do I get it back?

You gotta... gotta get it back from 'em. Maybe reason with 'em, maybe break in, I dunno. God, I wanna kill 'em. Do whatever you people do. I blew it, I know.

Is there anything I can do to help you?

Yeah, if you could... unhhh.... Somethin' just started leakin' - I need somethin' for the pain.

I'll bring something back for you.

Good to know. Goodbye.

Choices and consequences. We don't have anyone to tell, at the moment, though. We could conceivably email LaCroix, but that's not an option Bloodlines gives us.

Back outside, the clinic opposite of Mercurio's apartment building stands out against the night sky. The clinic looks very... unlike a clinc would, I'll just put it that way.

This creepy guy standing outside of the clinc strikes up a conversation when we pass by.

I'm okay, do I know you?

Aw man! Wait. Say that again.

This sounds like a bad pick-up routine.

Okay. Do I know you?

Aw man! You - you're a vampire, aren't you?

This isn't good. If he's bluffing, if this is really some sort of pickup routine, revealing ourselves is a masquerade violation.

What? Vampire? What the hell are you smoking?

C'mon. You are too! Oh man! Don't bullshit me, girl; just come clean. I ain't gonna tell no one. It's okay! I just wanna talk.

Well, let's humor him, anyway.

Alright then, let's talk.

Hell yeah! Oh man, I knew it! I just- Oh geez, I knew you were. I just could tell. I - oh man, this is great! And th-then I saw your teeth an-and I was, like, drat! It was like I could just sense you. The name's Knox Harrington. Pleasure to meet you. Aw man!

Are you a vampire? How do you know all of this?

I'm a ghoul. I didn't know about any of this stuff until a couple months ago... when this guy just appeared and, well, all of a sudden - bam! - whoa man! - vampires are real and right there in front of my eyes. Blew my goddamn mind.

Physically strong and intimidating, a very rugged individual. Now uncharacteristically giddy. Knox has succumbed to childlike excitement at the new world that was suddenly unfurled before him just months ago, when a vampire came to him and welcomed him into the world of immortals.

Let's see... we could press him more about being a ghoul, see if he reveals who did it to him.

You said you're a "ghoul"? What is that?

Well, the way it was explained to me, whenever a vampire lets a human drink some of their vampire blood, the human gains a little vampire power, can heal up quick and that kinda stuff. Geez, oh man! Then they're a "ghoul", and ooh, watch out!

Who was the vampire that made you a ghoul?

Aw man! I really wish I could tell ya, but I don't think I'm supposed to. But it's really cool to be talkin' to you, just, well, because I don't get a lot of chance to talk to vampires - oh man! - well, other than my master, so I thought I'd just say, ya know, what's up, ya know?

He can't tell us? Interesting...

You like being a ghoul?

It's awesome! Man after that first taste of vampire blood... it's like the best drug. Aw man, I'm tellin' ya, it's like... well it didn't mess me up, just made me feel like I was better at everything. I felt like a god, just suckin' on that nasty dude's wrist.

He's inadvertently dropped a clue as to who his master is. Knox called him a "nasty dude", which could mean it's a Nosferatu, or it could just be a guy who doesn't shower. But we do know it's a male.

So what are you doing around here?

Look, I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I'm on a "secret mission" for my master.

Secret mission? This could be good...

Well, hey - ha! - it's been great talkin' to you, man, but I better be going - aw man! - ya know, important stuff to do.

See you around.

That didn't go anywhere, but we'll see if we run into Knox later.

Down one of the alleys, we run across this hairy-looking guy.

Who disappears in a cloud of smoke. Hm...

Best get to getting this Astrolite. If those guys, one being named Dennis, have a lovely shack on the beach, we've got to go down through the parking garage.

Of course, the pier is closed off. We'll have to go through some other way to get a look at the body. Those stairs on the left could be a way.

We find our way to the beach, but someone blocks our path.

What?

Those men you're looking for.

How did you know I was looking for someone?

Never mind. You wouldn't understand.

Weird. Well, what's new. Thanks.

This song quietly plays from the radio

There is quite a ragtag group of people around here. I wonder why they're congregated around here. Let's ask.

What are you talking about?

You mean you ain't here to run us off?

Uh, no. Is that common?

We're getting pretty sick of it. Someone citing domain or inthe worst cases, hunting us for sport.

What? Why?

I'm new to this myself. What's a thin blood?

Damned if I know. I know you don't want to be one. You seem to be in the loop - you tell me.

For starters, what clan are you?

Clan? See, I've heard all that before, an- and I still don't know what the hell anyone's talkin' about. I'd like to know just what I've become - we- we'd all like to know jus- just what the... the hell kinda devil's contract we've apparently signed.

How'd this happen to you?

I'd just came to town for the surf tourney - seems like years ago, but it's, well, been about six months now. Every night during the finals, I used to hit the local diner after the beach parties fizzled out in the A.M. That's where I met her.

Met who?

She had a natural beauty, not like all the plastic dolls littering the sand. Her name was Lily. I remember introducing meself - the way she seemed grateful for the company. Well, a few nights after our meeting, we were on the beach alone and...

Go on.

Is Lily dead?

Clinically, yes. But honestly, I don't know. I suppose I'd have moved on by now if I didn't think she'd show up one of these nights. There's a lot I've got left to say to her.

You do know you're vampires, right?

That's what Lily tried to tell me. But what I don't understand are the rules and the terms and the reason some of 'em are at our throats claiming we're harbingers of the apocalypse. That's what I want to know.

The apocalypse. The Kindred Eschaton, the end time. Gehenna: the albatross of Vampire: The Masquerade. The time when the antediluvians awake from their slumber and devour their descendants. The increase of Thin-Blooded vampires is a sign of the coming of Gehenna.

The Chronicle of Caine
In the beginning there was only Caine.
Caine who sacrificed his brother out of love.
Cain who was cast out.
Cain who was cursed with the lust for blood.
It is Caine from who we all come,
Our sire's sire.

For the passing of an age Caine lived in the land of Nod
In loneliness and suffering.
For an eon he remained alone.
But the passing of memory drowned his sorrow.
And so he returned to the world of mortals,
To the world of mortals,
To the world his brother and his brother's children had created.

Though he became ruler of a mighty nation, Caine was still alone,
For none was as he. His sorrow grew once again.
Then he committed another great sin, for he begat progeny,
Of whom there were only three.
But from them came more progeny, Caines grandchilder,
And then Caine said, "An end to this crime. There shall be no more."
And as Caines word was law, his brood obeyed him.
The city stood for many ages,
And became the center of a mighty empire.

But then came the Deluge, a Great Flood that washed over the world.
The city was destroyed.
And its people along with it.
Again Caine fell into a great sorrow and went into solitude,
Becoming as a dog amidst the wastes,
And leaving his progeny to their own ends.
They came to him and begged him to return,
To help them rebuild the city.
But he would not come with them,
Saying the Flood had been sent as punishment
For his having returned to the world of life
And subverting the true law.

A great war was waged, the elders against their children,
And the children slew their parents.
The rebels built a new city
And brought to it 13 tribes.
It was a beautiful city and its people worshipped them as gods.
They created new progeny of their own,
The fourth generation of Cainites.
But they feared the Jyhad,
And it was forbidden for those childer
To create others of their kind.
Although this city was a great as Caines, eventually it grew old.
As do all living things, it slowly began to die.
Their city was destroyed and their power extinguished.
With their authority gone, all were free to create their own broods,
And soon there were many new Cainites,
Who ruled across the face of the Earth.

The Antediluvians are Caine's grandchilder, according to legend. The survivors of the Great Deluge. 13 of them, one for each clan, though this number has been disputed. Some have been diablerized, some remain in torpor. I asked Vic, "Why are they in torpor?" and this is what he said.

quote:

Basically, the Antediluvians are feeling the weight of the ages on them. The more potent the blood is, the more you feel the pull toward torpor. Beyond that, most of them have no Humanity left, so they tend to sleep for a long, long time.
I don't recall offhand if Paths count as far as getting out of Torpor, but I don't think they do.
Of course, what makes you think the Antediluvians ARE in torpor? :tinfoil:
I can name at least 4, possibly 5 who are more or less active.

If any of you have played Redemption, Vukodlak's plan was to arise and diablerize the antediluvians to prevent Gehenna. How he would do this is a mystery. Why the antedilvians would want to diablerize their offspring is a mystery, as well.

:iiam:

Are all these others here thin-bloods as well?

Aye. Most of them just recently arrived in LA. Got chased off by the Sabbath or some such thing from their home cities. They're more in the dark than I am. They're a good bunch, but... well they've been through a lot. It's affected them.

Maybe I should look into this whole thin-blood thing.

I'll ask around, see what I can dig up.

Oh, we'd appreciate it. Oh, 'fore I forget, name's E. The black-haired beauty over there's Rosa - sees the future, so she says. That nervous bloke is Copper, and the one who can't speak so well's Julius. Kids' gloves with them; they've had it rough.

Any idea where I might begin looking for information?

Seems no one'll talk about it. This all started that night in the diner... maybe you could start there.

I'll see what I can do. Goodbye.

Before we do anything else, let's check on that killing at the pier. If you look near the top of the picture, you can see a lone wolf standing on the ridge.

It confirms what we saw in the newspaper, but there aren't any other clues to be found around here.

While up here, We find a pack of gum...

and below the pier, a stake. We are a vampiric MacGyver - this will all make sense soon enough.

So let's get to talking to the rest of the thin-bloods. We'll start with Copper.

Head vampire? Uh, yeah, of course we do.

Who doesn't?

[Persuade]If he's killed with the Holy Stake, sure. Interested in purchasing it?

Okay. But first I had another question. Umm... how about blood transfusions? If I get a full blood transfusion I can become human again, right?

[Persuade]Sure. If it's unicorn blood.

Unicorn blood?

Oh, there can be vampires but no such thing as unicorns?

Next is Julius.

Are you okay?

It's nuh-nuh-nothing.

Do I scare you?

Nuh-nu-nuh-no no. I have a sp-s-s-speech-puh-pw-oh-oblem. S-s-sor-sorry.

Puh-puh-puh-pathetic!

I'm sure he'll never come up again. Let's try talking to that woman again, Rosa.

What are you talking about?

Why is he smiling? The father? Is it- Is it the father behind him?

You're not makng any sense.

Here Troika falls back on that lovely mad oracle trope that bad writers use as a lazy method of foreshadowing.

I don't understand.

Ah, I sorry. Sometimes I see... nothing - disregard what I say.

That's a not-so-subtle way of saying "we're trying to foreshadow, here."

[Persuade]You have a gift. Please, it's very important. Can you tell me anything else?

This sound suspiciously similar to that email we received from "a friend".

Can you be more specific?

I don't know what I'm saying. Forget what I say.

Wait... do you know anything about the murder on the pier?

Murder? Yes... the killer is dead. He moves soon and travels to the heart of the ángeles... and to the home of the stars... and then returns fulfilled... and empty once again.

Can you tell me my fortune? I'll pay you.

Fortune is not your destiny. All of us are unfortunate. Every time I sleep the future plays out before me. I know the ending... it will end over and over until I cease to dream. I know your questions. For $100, I'll tell you what you don't want to hear. I need money to leave this place.

A hundred? I'll give you twenty. Here's my question.

What's going to happen to me in the next few nights?

The crimson ship. He's not who he says she is and it's going to burn. Dinosaurs? He's furious... the man with the crest... the voice in the darkness, boss. Chinese brothers. Follow the lights to the end of the tunnel. Where do you want to go?

Who can I trust?

Hmm... the man on the couch... the lone wolf. All others - tread carefully.

The man on the couch? Could she be referring to Mercurio? And who's this lone wolf?

Who are my enemies?

Many. Everywhere. Some with swords, some with smiles. But I pity them. You are a remarkable foe.

So, who has a job I can do?

Those with a lot to say... usually have something on their mind. There are many unique individuals around the city. It's almost as if they're waiting for you to ask the right thing. E, for example.

"You're aware that you're playing an RPG, right?

Any advice at all? Something that's going to save my life?

Don't open it.

In fifth grade, who stole my bike?

I see the future, not the past.

So, am I going to win after all is said and done?

Don't worry, Troika. I bought the game on steam when it was on sale. I didn't pirate it.

Let's get to the point. We came down here to get the astrolite. The chemist's beach house is up on the cliff.

As the first main quest, when Troika didn't face any time-crunching deadlines, etc., there are multiple ways of approaching this.

1. Kill everyone and get the astrolite
2. Sneak around the back, cut the power, and sneak in to steal the astrolite
3. Talk our way into getting the astrolite

We're most equipped to do this the third way. Our first obstacle is the shirtless guard near the fence. We should also look for Mercurio's money.

[Seduction]Do I look dangerous to you? I'm sure a big man like you isn't scared of me.

With that, we enter the house.

This is on the television. I've read that this is actually alpha footage of Bloodlines.

We also find a room with a vent. Something tells me we should check it out.

What do you know! Mercurio's money. Now to get the astrolite.

Eventually, we come across this room. This must be Dennis. The astrolite sits on a table behind him, but if we just take it, guns will come out.

Bringing up astrolite right away will tip Dennis off that we're with Mercurio. Better play this safe.

What have you got?

My staff maintains at all times a twenty-four carat smorgasbord of A+ narcotics guaranteed to make the competition's poo poo seem like a weak cappuccino in comparison. White, green, blues, reds, black - you pick a color.

I'm looking for something different. Got any explosives?

Explosives? Fun stuff. You can get yourself a lotta attention that way. I may have somethin'. Why would you need to get your hands on some fireworks?

Money problems. I need to make a car disappear for the insurance.

[Seduction] Anything else you take besides cash?

Mmm hmm. I'd be open to negotiations. Question is: how open are you?

Want to send your buddy out of the room and find out?

Dennis turns to the other guy in the room...

Yo, go check the odometer on my car.

The guy leaves, and Dennis turns back to us...

We're sucking on Dennis' neck and sending him into shock or whatever happens to someone in that daze they're in after we feed on them.

Dennis none-the-wiser, we steal the astrolite from under his nose and exit the area.

But not before running into this dog.

This little guy is added to the game if you install the plus patch. He doesn't serve much purpose unless the NPCs in the area become hostile to you, and then he'll attack you on sight. Even then, he's buggy as gently caress.

:stare:

Anyway, let's see if Copper has come up with the money.

I have the special chewing gum for your teeth for $100.

Uh... o-okay. I-I guess. Here.

And here's the stake. You have $100?

Well, what should we say? Who should sic Copper on?

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 17, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

V. Illych L. posted:

Man why you gotta be a jerk with poor Cooper, that's super lovely

I know, but that's really the only interaction we're allowed to have with him.

:smith:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Lilith plays a pretty big role in Caine's story, which the Chronicle of Caine (which I transcribed from Redemption) doesn't cover.

Tehan posted:

It's not just a one-off mention, it's described as a fairly common practice for Nosferatu in the Clanbooks. Animalism plus a lack of prying eyes plus paranoia gives a lot of time and motivation to get creative with ghouls. Rats are just the start of it :gonk:

In Redemption, ghoul alligators were an enemy in the New York Sewers.

ArchWizard posted:

The President. Dubya said "bring 'em on" so the on will be brought.

"Why do they hate us, when we're so good?" :stonklol:

gatz fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 23, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also the more you ignore nWoD the better (because VtM:B doesn't happen in it, therefore it is not the best). I think Zack Parsons or someone else on the frontpage said the biggest sign of the new WoD's failure is that it didn't become a bestseller ever since Twilight came out.

Vampire: the Requiem eschews the religious stuff in terms of the origin of vampirism, doesn't it?

DeusExMachinima posted:

The music in this game is really, really good at setting the tone. It's up there with Thief and Hitman's soundtracks.

This got me thinking: which other games have great soundtracks?

Mass effect
DreamWeb
Kane & Lynch 1 (gently caress you, jesper kyd is awesome)
Phantom Dust
Final Fantasy 7
Indigo Prophecy

There are probably other favorites of mine that I can't think of right now

gatz fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 23, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

MJ12 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's set in 1999.

The WoD games generally had the books set in the year they were published, and thus Gehenna came in 2001. Furthermore, the news about freak weather in India matches up with the 1999 time, because that's when the Technocracy nuked the poo poo out of Ravnos and pretended it was 'mysterious weather'.

I thought I read that it was set in 2004, but I just tried finding it again and I couldn't. I don't know why you think it's 1999, and I don't know where you get this "freak weather in India" story from.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I'm gonna show off the radio show eventually. It just doesn't have very many variations (5 in total, I think).

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

There's the poster in the apartment.

E: I realized that I did include this image in the last update, but I didn't call attention to the poster.

gatz fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 24, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Thesaya posted:

(Darling Violettas 'A Smaller God' is on the radio on the beach, I think it is the first location that has a track playing that isn't background music)

You're right. I didn't even notice that.

You have to be pretty close to hear it. I'll edit it into the last update.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Feinne posted:

Fun vampire crossover trivia fact: Darling Violetta did the theme from Angel.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Vampire-The-Masquerade-Redemption-Soundtrack/release/1662572

They also had a song on the Redemption soundtrack. Why Redemption bothered to have an official soundtrack consisting of songs that never played during the game is a mystery to me.

Psion posted:

Yep. Toreador and guns is my preferred style. Celerity is pretty much the best skill.

You can also do pretty well with celerity and a melee weapon for when you're low on ammo or don't have a good gun available. It works for everything.

Celerity with guns? Explain your playstyle to me a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

wiegieman posted:

With celerity, your guns speed up with you. So you can fire a whole lot of bullets, very quickly

If I was aware of that when I did a playthrough as a Torreador specializing in ranged weapons and auspex before starting the LP, I would have had it a lot easier.

• Locked thread