Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Two things I noticed this time that I hadn't noticed on my playthroughs.

Your sire looks like the Prince; is this significant?

They bust down the door as soon as you're Embraced; this has to be significant.
They knew this was going to happen, which also indicates your Embrace was preplanned, or predictable; either way, it was probably allowed to happen. Planned for, even.
Which makes' the Prince's bit of back and forth theatre with Rodriguez seem...deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Sinner Sandwich posted:

As someone else noted, the sire's model is just the male Ventrue model, and I don't think they busted in as soon as you were embraced. I'm not too up to date on my oWoD lore, but it looks like there was a decent amount of time between the embrace and the PC waking up and getting staked. The Sire was sitting on the other side of the room and there was a fade to black after the 'I want to show you something' line and the PC screaming, which is presumably the Embrace.

But you're right in that the Prince was most likely looking for a reason to hold and execution and make himself look like the impartial arbiter of law and justice in the community. But if you take one of the later character's lines as truth, and I really don't see why you wouldn't trust him, the Prince had to improvise after Nines called him out.
Even so, it looks like the same night.
It's been a while, is there some kind of signal that goes out when someone is Embraced, so that everyone knows what's happened.

Okay, I can see the Prince's angle in this. He wants to get rid of a rival (possibly, assuming your sire was someone of consequence), assert his authority and foil rival factions, possibly get himself a new catspaw without having to Embrace someone.

But what about your sire? What was their angle? Were they just someone else's pawn or ally?
What was the plan, assuming you didn't have the Prince's men listening at the door? Pass you around a bit to try and launder you? Keep you secret and train you in the ways of Mary Sue to be their vampire?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Wait, it was that guy? I would have guessed that guy, or even that guy, but not that guy.

More seriously, I wonder if your sire knew what was going to happen, if they were deliberately sacrificed, or if their plan got leaked accidentally.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I suppose there is such a thing as too much paranoia. :tinfoil:
Except when you're playing Vampire and involved the the intricate plots of centuries old vampires. :drac:

It's the timing that bugs me, that the brute squad kicks down the door before you even have time to get up.

I assume your sire didn't go around trumpeting their intention to illegally sire someone.
I guess the prince was having the rookie vamp followed, for just such a contingency.

So who was your sire's sire? Progeny seem to be quite an investment.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I guess the Sheriff is now called Captain Cockblock?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I thought it was a one night stand sort of thing, but I guess nosy informants and a cockblock squad being on call is a plausible explanation :tinfoil:.

We're going to need a :tinfoil: and :drac: smilie for this game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Maybe they were really friendly, had a great personality, just fun to be around? :unsmith:
I miss Nozzie already. :smith: Why did you have to go and get yourself executed?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

There's also blood bonding, isn't there, where drinking another vampire's blood (but not all of it) multiple times makes you devoted to them, right?
I've wondered, can that be mutual, can you do the blood brothers thing (I've been reading a lot of wuxia novels lately)? Is it like getting hitched?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Which is highly ironic, when you think about it. The clan of snooty one percenter vampires literally cannot feed off the poor, and instead are forced to eat the rich.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Man, do you really have to do screw with that poor bastard? :smith:
If you have to, send him after the President.

Don't send him after LaCroix, LaCroix is a Ventrue, a master of Dominate, he'll send him back at you; with a flamethrower.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Stake wielding, bubblegum-chewing madman. :eng101:

If only you could have sold him sunglasses, as well.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Man, for all that the World of Darkness is supposed to be a lovely, scary, dark place, people are surprisingly trusting :unsmith:
"Oh, hey, you sound like you know her, take these."
"Eh, you seem trustworthy, here, take this key."
And such.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

LeJackal posted:

The answer is yes, you can do that. Ghouls can be Embraced, no trouble.
Yeah, but don't you have to worry about going blind if it's your ghoul? :drac::fh:
Is it some kind of faux pas, is there prejudice against it/them? Or is it something sensible, because you don't have to give the new vamp the Talk?

Actually, since ghouls drink vampire blood, what are the mechanics of sucking on a ghoul, yours or someone else's?
Actually, more ghoul mechanics in general would be cool. Like, what happens if you give them lots of blood, how much blood do they hold, that kind of thing.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 5, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh poo poo, sorry! I had spoilers turned off and didn't even notice. Edited!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Wait, Task Force Valkyrie is World of Darkness XCom? Tell me more :allears:
I might need to get into the whole WoD thing.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Caustic Soda posted:

^^ I thought at least the Camarilla in oWoD was explicit about needing to hide from humans because they can be dangerous. IIRC, in between Vampire: Dark Ages and the "modern nights", a lot of vampires got killed after humans became more aware of them. Sure, the Camarilla will also refer to humans as 'kine' (cattle), but looking down on and being afraid of people at the same time is hardly exclusive.
You know, when I stop to think about the 'kine' thing, it bugs me.
The only people who look down on cattle are those who've never had to deal with them. Cows are terrifying. I still remember almost getting my hand bitten off by a cow at a petting zoo. :cry:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

Oh, sure. Here is a short list of things a wraith can do with proper Arcanos to a vampire.
  • snip
  • Pandemonium is classic haunting stuff and just annoying if you know what's up. It's pretty terrifying if you don't - walls leaking blood, swarms of spiders coming from the floor, massacred bodies showing up briefly in your trunk.
  • snip
:drac: I'm sorry to interrupt, but can I get an allied Wraith to do that one for me?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

To be fair, it's pretty in character.
"Wait, I think this place is haunted and OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST GHOST EVER! *slurp* Free blood! *slurp*"

Just imagine if the walls started bleeding rum; sure, it's wall booze, but free booze is free booze. heroin.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 3, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Make Peace :3:

So, thinking on this, Theresa/Jeanette are remarkably lucid for a Malkavian(?), and are you actually making the Malkavian better? I thought being permanently crazy was their deal, can you just stabilize one like that? Is there going to be some threshold for her bloodline that goes "Welp, looks like she's happy and stable, so it's 'fish fish fish' time."?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I guess...Theresa/Jeanette seems more with it than ostensibly sane people. :confused:
I guess the split personality thing just doesn't phase me, it seems relatively...I don't know, for lack of a better word, 'normal'.

I also now wonder about Malkavian whack-a-mole, messing with them until a non-crippling/non-irritating derrangement pops up.

Also, for extra :tinfoil:
The diablre is recent

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is "Anarch" an exonym, was it originally an insult that got adopted by the group?
It seems like an umbrella term for disimillar groups, basically being "Not Camarilla and not Sabbat". Kind of like "Third world"?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sounded to me like Tung had been expecting you to ask something else and you threw him for a loop.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ouch.

I will say I'm actually interested in reading the Anarch/Anarchist spiel, both because I don't get much chance to hear about Anarchism otherwise, and as part of the more general :wtc: World of Darkness.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Upon further reflection, the thing about Anarchism in Vampire, is that it seems that it's like an even grimmer, more hopeless version of the normal thing (which is kind if the World of Darkness' thing, to be fair), in that not only is the establishment rich, powerful, and controlling the status quo, they're also undead vampire wizards.
Haha, The Man is also a vampire, basically.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I've always enjoyed the idea that significantly more people are in on the supernatural than not, but since nobody knows this and think they're unique, the status quo lurches on and the Masquerade continues.
It's sort of like using groupthink or the bystander effect to explain why the Masquerade trundles on.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Gah, that floor is bright. You could probably see your reflection in it if you weren't a vampire.
Most of thoses paintings look like they've got a Cain and Abel theme going.

Keep your lip buttoned about Mercutio. It's always nice to do favors for people.
Suck up. You're a Ventrue, and that means sucking up to the big guy until it's time for you to be the big guy.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hey, do most people get asked before their Embrace or is it "Oh by the way vampires are real and you're a vampire."
Is it common for ghouls to get 'upgraded'?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Much like with a totalitarian communist state, do you automatically become a shitlord once you hit a certain age as a vampire, or do only the ruthless and unpleasant survive? If it's a change, is it biological (for lack of a better word), or social (internal or external might be better)?
Or is it something to do with ancient vampires growing up during a time with a different morality? Which sounds a bit optimistic for the World of Darkness, as it implies something is getting better, but...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

No Russian
Do what we came to do.

What is

from?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is Tycho Brahe's nose magical?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ephemeron posted:

They are not a faction, a side or a political unit. They are Family Malkavian, and ever since the fall of their progenitor, they have been a clan divided. Pick an issue, any issue - there will be Malks taking every possible position both for and against it.

Sometimes it's even the same Malkavian on both sides!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

OTOH, if Lacroix is framing Nines, not ratting him out means you're not to be trusted.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

:downswords: fish fish fish I'm krazy

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Knowing White Wolf, after the fall of the Iron Curtain, it's probably "They're like werewolves and vampires, but wearing tracksuits instead of capes and wielding wildly overpriced abilities."

What's up with Adam? Is he anything more than just "Cain's dad, Lilith's ex (and progenitor?)"?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

I would play this game.

What would you call it?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ally

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The "Grout is the letter writer" theory confused me because I kept misreading Grout as Groot and wondering if there was an "I am Groot" letter I had missed.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

How does one boost one's Humanity or Path?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

What atrocity do you commit for the path of redemption or one of the other less gribbly paths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

MJ12 posted:

*snip*
So the Void Engineers, who are basically the Technocracy's equivalent of XCOM, have battleships designed to make space empty and lifeless like they say it is, which is helpful when you don't want NASA's astronauts seeing dragons flying around in the vacuum of space by flapping their wings. These warships have gigantic powered blade-arms specifically to kill loving dragons.
So you're saying that Old Mage lets you have cyborg space wizards shooting magic guns and flying grappler ship? :allears: It's like Outlaw Star!

• Locked thread