Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

This should be a lot of fun.

Voting for a female Gangrel for entirely selfish reasons (already ran through the game as a Ventrue, dreaming about one day doing a narrative LP as a Ventrue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lazyfire posted:

If you make it past the hotel I think you will have out done all the ones I've seen, either that or getting past the reveal that the vampire twins are actually one insane vampire which I believe comes up right after.

Really? That's surprisingly quick. I'd figure most LPs would only give up once those sewers come up.

As an aside, I like the fact I can just say those sewers and most people already know what I mean.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

A Tartan Tory posted:

Also voting for Male Nosferatu because after Malkavian, those are the most hilarious reactions you get from people.

gatz posted:

The Nosferatu are the same as the Malkavians in the respect that they are more suited for a gimmick run of the game. You have to avoid being in the near vicinity of a human or else you get a)attention drawn to you or b)a masquerade violation if multiple people see you at the same time. Conversations, when playing as a Nosferatu, usually open with the NPC noting how disgusting you look and then the conversation continues as it would with any other clan. I will not be accepting votes for playing as a nosferatu.

While I'm not going to laugh, I am going to find this at least somewhat amusing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Rockopolis posted:

But what about your sire? What was their angle? Were they just someone else's pawn or ally?
What was the plan, assuming you didn't have the Prince's men listening at the door? Pass you around a bit to try and launder you? Keep you secret and train you in the ways of Mary Sue to be their vampire?

I'd be surprised if the sire wasn't somebody's pawn, what with this game having politics out the rear end from the get-go (and it only gets worse from there - and I mean "worse" sarcastically). It's just a matter of figuring out exactly who it was (if not that guy that can be the solution to any question you might have regarding the plotline).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Thesaya posted:

Although, I must specify, even if it had been hours or even the next night, that discovery was quite fast, unless someone was keeping tabs on the sire. I mean, until they left the room, I can't think of any way for a person to guess he was going to embrace the human instead of just having a snack, or even making her a ghoul.

The Nosferatu know everything, and they know it fast. Everything. Yes, even that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Thesaya posted:

Which is pretty much what I said in the original post.

Sort of lost track of the flow of conversation amidst the theories. So yeah, I guess I agree with you on that one - it's definitely Nosferatu that got that information to LaCroix, and he, being the manipulative bastard he is, wittered an opportunity to prove his strength to the general vampire populous. At least up until Nines screwed all that up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ugh. I loving hate Jack. Not because of his character or anything like that, that's not my problem, no.

The reason is because I played a Camarilla-suck-up Ventrue planning to come into power by proving my qualities to LaCroix in my first run of the game. If you know what I'm getting at, good, if not, we'll get there eventually.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You can forgive him if you do the real Camarilla ending, though.

Yeah, it was my fixation on LaCroix that did me in. The way I figured it, he was desperate for support, so if I ended up doing well for him, I'd be like #2 on his Christmas list in no time. Kind of a shame the Camarilla ending turned out to be exactly what I wanted, but I wasn't looking in that direction.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also if you hack your stats at the start of the game Jack has hidden dialogue where he calls you a cheater.

And if you're a Malkavian, you can tell him Malkav himself changed your stats. IIRC, he doesn't buy it, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, now that we've pretty much sealed Cooper's fate, we might as well go for the most interesting outcome - sic him on the President.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Rockopolis posted:

Don't send him after LaCroix, LaCroix is a Ventrue, a master of Dominate, he'll send him back at you; with a flamethrower.

Odds are that LaCroix would not think too much about some random thinblood running into his estates and getting quickly made into mincemeat by his big ape of a bodyguard. Guy probably deals with worse poo poo on a regular basis.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh hell to the yes.

Also the more you ignore nWoD the better (because VtM:B doesn't happen in it, therefore it is not the best). I think Zack Parsons or someone else on the frontpage said the biggest sign of the new WoD's failure is that it didn't become a bestseller ever since Twilight came out.

Weakness: Horrible parenting skills? You just know some player tried specifically engineering a character that would somehow be able to take advantage of that weakness, just so they could be able to say they somehow "won" against Caine, at least as far as the rules will allow.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MJ12 posted:

I swear one of the TVs in Bloodlines had something on India. I haven't played it for several years so it might just be bad memory.

Anyways, I think it's 1999 because it's supposed to be on the eve of Gehenna/etc happening, which is "canonically" somewhere around the 2000s. It could be just moving the timeline up several years without any real intervening changes though.

I saw a video on Youtube of the Malkavian TV easter egg, and it also had a bit of a regular news cast in there, which mentioned all sorts of weird stuff going on in Delhi (UFOs, monsters, that kind of stuff), which was however revealed to be hoaxes and that kind of stuff. That might be what you're thinking of.

I also recall hearing something about India back when I played it, and even the phrase "freak weather" rung a bell, but I might be seeing things where there are none.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

If I remember correctly, it's the first of those two options.

If I remember correctly, it was somebody entirely unrelated, or at least I missed some sort of material. The character in question is called the Mandarin, which implies a connection with the Asian vampires to some degree, but that's about it. However, in one of his experiments, he sicks hunters on you, although I believe they're just hunters, not specifically ones from the Society.

Then again, I might be completely wrong because at that point, my patience with some of the more annoying gameplay decisions started running out - kind of like Troika's deadline or budget or general will to live - and I might have missed the subtext.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Stroop There It Is posted:

So, for the people who are feeling lost right now... (Side note, I think we should be pretty explicit whether we're talking about oWoD or nWoD, since I have a feeling that this poo poo is confusing to unfamiliar people trying to relate what we're talking about to things in Bloodlines. For example, True Fae are not a Thing in oWoD.)

I'm curious about the experience of people who had no familiarity with WoD when they first played Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Did you feel like the game gave you a pretty good introduction to the setting, or were you overwhelmed with ":wtc: are all these different clans/factions/terms" at any point?

It introduced me fairly well, I think, but there's a whole ton of extra stuff that is never mentioned.

The basics come across pretty good.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know about Gimble in particular, but the Plus patch indirectly buffs all of the early bosses by reducing the effectivness of Blood Buff. In the original game it set your physical attributes to five, drastically increasing the amount of damage you could dish out and soak. Here it only raises your stats by two.

Even so, Gimble never gave me any trouble. He's more of an introduction to the melee combat system than a geniune threat. There's another fight in Santa Monica that's a lot more dangerous for a non-combat character.

That fight is the first boss fight in the main quest, right? Gimble was only part of a sidequest and is fairly easy, but the first boss you're required to go up against is one tough motherfucker. I think - it could have been the second one you fight, too.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

wiegieman posted:

I think he means the one in Knox's sidequest.

Hm, that was the one I had less problems with. The one that wrecked my poo poo was the one in the art gallery. Probably because yours is more ranged focused and mine is more melee focused, and distance makes damage avoidance a bit easier.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That's actually an avoidable fight too, you can refuse Jeanette's request to slash the paintings.

...that never actually crossed my mind. I guess I was just so entranced by her I completely forgot saying "no" to her is an option whereas saying "no" to Therese isn't?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Might as well get that drat hotel over with.

Also, I never looked into Jeanette's contacts that much to notice the two familiar names in there - I'd wager that both Arthur and Jack are the same Arthur and Jack we've already met.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Elfface posted:

For example, it never comes up in the game, but a minor character we've yet to meet, the taxi driver, gets named in the sound files.

Of course, that doesn't stop a lot of people calling bullshit on Troika regarding who they say that guy might be.

I find that that guy and those sewers are the only two major points where you can just vaguely describe the point in that manner and most will go "oh right, that guy/those sewers". The latter more than the former, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

3) Tung's computer cannot be interacted with

That could very well be because he's there. While I don't have the game installed to check, I went on GameFAQs and checked the computer password list, and it gives two passwords for Tung's computer, so it seems that you can check it out at some point in time. What that point is, I don't know.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hoo boy, Beckett. Certainly a tricky character - in my first playthrough, I didn't buy the "harmless researcher" bit at all. He's a vampire, and therefore he's a manipulative dick just like me, it was just a matter of finding out where he's trying to gently caress me. Later, he then presented me with something I thought would lead to me getting hosed, so I went against it. I was wrong. So wrong.

gatz posted:

Sounded pretty vicious to me.

Of course it did. As if vampires and women both weren't insecure enough, get them together in one Malkavian body and look what happens.

Oh, apparently Tung knew all along that Therese and Jeanette share a body.

Did you know she and Jeanette are the same person?

Uh - I had my suspicions. What an interesting specimen... but a pain in my dead rear end for sure.

Uh.. apparently he didn't know. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the unofficial patch messing up again.

I think the way this is supposed to be interpreted is that he knew Therese and Jeanette were Malkavians, but didn't know they were the same person.

As an aside, you've spelled "Ventrue" as "Venture" a few times. A pretty common mistake.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Elfface posted:

Clearly, you forgot a sage piece of advice. Or just didn't connect it.

Odds are, I simply forgot. I mean, the oracle saying that you can trust "the lone wolf" doesn't leave many options open.

Seems to me that disregarding the oracle at the beach makes for a more fun game, because re-reading it does seem to almost spell out a few things that are very important.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

citybeatnik posted:

I've played through the game a few times and I -still- don't get that. Aside from him trying to recruit you and all that, it just seems like he's a pretty decent dude.

Any way that you might remember to come back and touch on this when it's no longer spoilers?

If I'm thinking what he's thinking, then it's pretty easy to explain (and we should be able to post vaguely about this, as long as it's in tags): Remember the mansion (not the Ocean one) and think about what "taking somebody at face value" could mean.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Keep Mercurio's failure a secret - no reason to go pissing him off for what would probably end up being little to no reward.

As for LaCroix, we're Ventrue, and as a Ventrue, we're destined to run this town, and we can't run this town with this clown in the way. Let's give him some defiance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I love how I'm the only one in favor of giving LaCroix some sass, and even then that's only because I already went the suck-up route.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

What happens if a vamp cuts off the supply of vitae for a ghoul, anyway?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Night10194 posted:

Plus, meanwhile, the Anarchs still pretty much follow all the Camarilla rules. They're less an anarchist movement and more of 'gently caress you vampire dad'.

Which is understandable, mind, vampire dad is a jerk.

Every vampire is a jerk.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DeusExMachinima posted:

Venus' reaction when she realizes you're double crossing her is pretty amusing/horrified.

What's the green dialogue text in bold? I forget.

Intimidation. The most meh/bleh out of all the dialogue skills.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Renditious posted:

On the one hand, Boris is a mob boss, who could potentially offer us contacts among the criminal element, (even though he'd be more likely to kill us for the initial murder attempt), on the other hand, he's standing right in front of us, whereas Venus requires another cross town trip to kill, followed by an additional trip back to Boris for payment.

Therefore, I vote for the path of :effort: (Kill Boris and save the 2nd trip)

I don't think this is a spoiler since we basically already know what we're getting from Venus, but I'll tag it nonetheless: Killing Boris means you need to regularly head back to Confession to get your cut of the profits, so in the long run, killing Venus is the more :effort: solution.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

double nine posted:

Important question, lives depend on it: the player character in Twitch Plays Pokemon, would it be considered to be a malkavian or a fishmalk?

While my knowledge is fairly limited because my capacity for retaining the flood of info coming from this thread is fairly limited as well, a fishmalk is basically somebody who plays a Malk who is random for the sake of being random because insanity is wacky!

While there are some people giving commands that would fit that, most have a goal that makes sense from a certain angle, it's just that those goals are often contradictory. So describing him as a fishmalk would probably not fit.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I've also had my share of problems with the Bishop. After that blood-thing in the gallery, which is a bit of a beginner's trap for people going into this game having heard that it's really awesome with dialogue and you should dump all your points into social stuff to max that out (speaking from experience), Vick is the first serious challenge as far as bosses go.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

barcoded posted:

I'm gonna guess that the Faustian bargain was tipping the hunter off to his location in the hopes that Bach would kill off the people coming after him?

There's a theory going around that the "friend" sending us these chess-motif messages is actually Grout, who faked his death, knowing he wasn't safe in his mansion anymore. The recordings were a way to feed the player character information he should know and set up a picture that would both have Grout's death seem definite and set the PC towards mistrusting LaCroix (it's never confirmed the vamp Grout is talking about is LaCroix, but the connection is apparent). Assuming he knew there were both vampires and humans coming to get him, the fire the hunters would set would both wipe out the recordings (that would have proven his anti-Camarilla sentiments, which would have maken him a persona non grata at best and staked outside watching the sunrise at worst) and ensure whoever found his "remains" wouldn't have enough time to analyze them in greater detail. However, discussing this theory will have to wait, as a few spoilerriffic factoids also play into the bigger picture.

I believe in this theory, and the way I see it, the "Faustian bargain" was sacrificing his wife to the flames. For Grout, the last true remnant of his humanity/soul was his wife. He knows that if his faked death was to hold any merit, he'd have to leave her in the mansion, as otherwise, the assumption he fled would be obvious. So he gave up what was left of his soul for continued immortality. Sounds pretty Faustian to me. Mentioning that he took measures to save his wife was a red herring, laid out to make it seem like he was surprised by the assassins.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Boogle posted:

I thought the emails were sent by Jack as a way to goad you on and stir up trouble, because that's his MO.

Would he really be so subtle, though? It doesn't seem like Jack to be sending you cryptic messages with a chess motif that are a bit prophetic. And that's another thing that points towards Grout - as a Malk, writing prophetic poo poo would be right up his alley.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

We should remember that when we found Grout, he was already a pile of ash. How long would it take for a vampire to turn into ash after being staked?

That's another point in the theory, although I need somebody more versed in the rules of VTM to back me up here. According to the theory, Grout as a human was active in the 1800's, which comes from a different interpretation of his recordings, in that they are recently made recordings of what might have been diary entries before, once again, laid out in such a way that they give you sort of a biography of Grout as you comb through his mansion. So that would place the statement about Freud and his Embrace closer to where Freud wrote his big theses (1900s to 1930s), which would place Grout's Embrace somewhere around the 1850s to 1880s. And according to the theory, a vampire that old would actually not leave a skeleton behind when he died. I have no idea if that's true, but everything else seems sound, so I see no real reason to doubt that part, though I still attach that caveat since I don't know entirely.

As for Rosa, I have no idea. She's sort of this pseudo-enigma, pseudo-developer-insert that is too marred in mystery to fit properly into any real theory.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

mortons stork posted:

Starving the guy would only result in him falling into torpor. In general, vampires are remarkably resilient and won't just die off on their own. Unless external factors come in they will either wake up or slumber for a variable amount of time; so long as sunlight doesn't burn them or some ill-intentioned fellow beats them or shoots them to death, they won't simply succumb naturally.

Well, once he's staked, shooting him to Final Death is a formality, given enough ammo. Of course, we don't know if that happened, since we didn't have time to check out the murder scene due to a surprise flooding by a certain river.

The way Nines was rattled when we met him means that something didn't go the way he thought it would, and a pile of ash being there where he expected a primogen to be would be a pretty good thing to not go the way he planned, regardless of his motive in being there.

Both Nines and Bach were surprised that Grout is dead, so somebody got to him first - or he ended up tricking everybody coming for him, if we're following the theory I threw out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

I can't find the sound files for Grout's tapes, or else I would upload them to tindeck.

You should maybe add a snippet of Bach's voice acting too, because his pseudo-German accent is just wonderful - at least it is to me, as a German. If I may suggest one line in particular, it'd be one where he says "LaCroix", I think he pronounces it rather interestingly.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 11, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

So are Malkavians more given or less given to elaborate schemes than the rest of the vampires?

I would say it depends from Malk to Malk. The access to their network obviously should make elaborate schemes easier because of a larger amount of information, but sorting through the information and using it correctly requires a somewhat lucid mind, which is obviously rare when it comes to Malks. I think Grout is one of the rare cases where the madness manifested in such a way that it didn't interfere with the planning of such an elaborate scheme (extreme paranoia?) and where the mind of the person that was embraced was both already somewhat used to madness (having worked in some way in an insane asylum) and was very intelligent at the same time. Put everything together, and he's a great candidate for pulling off some extreme gambit that needs several seemingly random things to go right, and everything goes right because he knows it would go right.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aesclepia posted:

Do we find out which if any of these theories about Grout is true? Or do we get to speculate? :D

Grout stays an enigma throughout the game, nothing is ever really revealed about him, so speculation is easily done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

TheMcD (which is a terrible forum handle, IMO) had a good post relating to who these emails could be sent from:

Ha. Yeah, it's probably a quite terrible pick, but it stuck with me since I was like 11, and after a while I just figured "gently caress it, that'll just be my handle period, too much effort to introduce a new one to remember".

Anyway, I've been running through the game myself lately, partly out of interest on a few side things, most notably the library level added by the Plus Patch (which is pretty interesting to run through, even if it's a bit barren), and I mean running in more ways than one, since I went with a Toreador this time around.

I have to say, the Toreador's "HOLY poo poo I AM SO loving FAST RIGHT NOW" combat is a whole bundle of fun. I rushed Celerity 5 rather quickly and focused on melee so far (up to 8 after finishing up with those sewers, which were a lot less tedious now that I could repeatedly use Celerity and suck on rats to replenish blood points), and the ability to juggle enemies with my sword is pretty insane.

• Locked thread