Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Why if it isn't the plebs. Don't you dare look upon me, don't you know I am Regina E. Butterscotch? What's that? How dare you! I'll have you know that I'm a close friend of the Ventrue Clan Leader in this city. If you don't moderate your tone, childe, you'll be staked before you can say 'inquisition'!

Oh, drat it all. There's just no point talking to malkavians. Bunch of chavs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gatz posted:

I'm not sure what the actual story is behind the embrace of the main character, other than the back of the game's box says "SEDUCED IN A DARK ALLEY ...". It's left up to the player's imagination. Beats me how LaCroix's minions knew about it, but it's worth noting that a good amount of time passed in between when we first see the clock (12:37 AM) and the last time (3:46 AM). So it's not unthinkable that someone could have figured it out and had the time to act on it, somehow.

The best thing about the intro is that it's exactly the same when the player clan is a nosferatu, complete with the sex sound effects. So you were seduced by - and presumably 'got busy' with - something that looks like this:

Hell of a one-night stand...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

About the origin of your sire: it's been a while since I played Bloodlines, but I don't think the game ever tells you anything about your sire's identity or his/her decision to sire you clandestinely - which makes sense for some of the clans like the Brujah (anarchists), Malkavians (lunatics) or gangrel (lone wolf types); but it doesn't make sense for a Ventrue or Tremere clan member due to their clans being quite hierarchical. So I'm a bit disappointed that we never learn about your undead parent or his/her motivations for siring you...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

quote:

Just gently caress this. Firearms are so lovely. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I welcome you to show me.
Firearms are good when you get to the mid-endgame weapons and after you've dumped a lot (5+) of skillpoints into ranged combat. The .38 is a piece of poo poo, never bother with it. The Utica shotgun is a step up but has too much spread and too low rate of fire to be worth it except in specific circumstances. The Brock (glock by any other name) is a step up but still not very good. Basic rule of thumb: stick to melee until you get to Hollywood. Go into the gunstore there, buy the colt anaconda, for better rate of fire at the cost of a bit of accuracy, put it on "fan" mode (cowboy shooting style). The Jaegerspas is a good shotgun for the midgame, but late game can't keep up with the dps. Late-game, I based myself on the McLusky .50 Caliber as a side-arm, the Steyr-aug (which is the only machine gun worth a drat in this game) and kept the jaegerspas to help in a pinch.

And then there's the flamethrower. Because flamethrower. :flame:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

About the theories as to player level/ability: I've heard another theory that potentially explains your (computer-rpg-mandated) quick rise in talent that doesn't involve [redacted].

From what I've understood, a new vampire doesn't have his/her full abilities ready when they're first embraced. During their first few weeks they come to terms with their supernatural skillset until they are at full power. Basically the player has to "warm up" before he is at 100% capacity. The game takes place in less then a week during which the player acclimates with his new-found power. By the end of the game you're speeding along petal to the metal, whereas during the tutorial you're still driving half-throttle in first gear.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Feinne posted:

The best part about the fact that the Followers of Set are working so hard as a clan to try and bring old Set back is that I seem to recall every single Gehenna scenario where the Antediluvians are a thing has them getting extremely negative results from their efforts. I'm pretty sure one option is that he basically decides there's no real hope of actually coming back and he calls them all to mass suicide, and in another he shows up and is like 'yeah you all suck fyi' and again most of them die.

Gehenna: most of them die.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

LeJackal posted:

This is a nice crossover with the schadenfreude thread, but I recall in my tabletop game the insufferably smug 'Buddhist' working for months to justify buying higher Humanity and scraping together XP for said purchase so he could be ~*better than all of us*~ and be as insufferable in-game as out.

He failed a Humanity check and lost it the first game after his purchase, due to his own stupidity. :allears:

Not to derail the thread, but ... what thread?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thanks

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:science: This is one of the very few gay men in the game. A female player with points in seduction will see a seduction line to go meet in the alley, but the guy will brush her off. A male with seduction will be successful in luring him into the alleyway.

That brings me to a pet peeve about this game: the seduction skill. Y'see, if the player character is female, Seduction is a very useful dialogue skill. Many male npcs will have seduction dialogue options, and many female npcs also have seduction dialogue options (you might say that many women in this game are bisexual). However, if the player character is male, then seduction is nigh-useless, because it can only be used succesfully on female npcs and 1 guy; this one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Umbilical Lotus posted:

Because, much like the apartment and everything in it, it was probably something LaCroix or his goons found in a dump somewhere.

Also, if this game is set in 2004, then the president would be George H. W. Bush. The guy is definitely some sort of Malkavian hivelord. Sic the thinblood on the President.

While our computer is a remarkable example of an artists' desire to unify nature with technology by strategic placement of lichen (or is that mold?), the way that computer works is identical to other computers in the game. Very text-adventure-y

double nine fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 22, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The tv news anchor is a great worldbuilding tool. He's got some newsitems related to future quests (not telling), he will retroactively tell about your exploits (if you get in a shootout at the beach house he'll mention it), but there is also a lot of general fluff about the goings-on in the world. When you start the game it's relatively benign "a massive gelatinous creature washed up on the shores of Santa Monica this morning. Scientists believe it is related to the seplapod (?) family of sea creatures[...]", but as the game goes on it becomes more freakish, with reports of strange sandstorms causing planes to crash in the middle east, and stone idols at a pilgrim site starting to bleed from the eyes. All delivered in that almost cartoonishly neutral tone of voice.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The place that guns really shine is that one sidequest in Hollywood. gently caress trying to do that one with melee weapons, and even with guns I have to make 2/3 attempts before succeeding. Romero, you can go to hell.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Without going into spoilers too much, after we run the prince's little errant, mercurio will respawn healed up - unless gatz antagonizes the guy to the point that he attacks you (entirely possible to do). I assume that it's suppsed to represent the idea that enough time has passed for mercurio to heal. At that point the player can ask him about various characters and organizations - including the sabbat, camarilla, lacroix, (iirc) jack and other characters who we haven't met yet. That should explain somewhat where he stands vis-a-vis the jester prince and the camarilla in general

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 3, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

Also, it makes sense that vampire NPCs wouldn't give as much of a poo poo about how ugly a Nossie is, since they at least know what the deformed monster in front of them is (and how it's useful to them). I can't remember what happens when you try to talk to essential human NPCs--do they still not react differently? Is that what you meant?

If you play as a nosferatu and talk to the woman in the diner, then she faints at the sight of you, and you have to take the purse that stands on the counter in order to continue the "thinned blood" quest

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 17, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So let's do a count: how many people used the severed arm weapon when you had far more useful melee weapons to deal with an enemy? There's something about that flopping arm that's really funny to me. (I might be a fishmalk by nature though)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Elfface posted:

Honestly? Gimble is pretty easy, because he's an ordinary human., and they all have one major weakness. If you get your teeth in them, they're paralysed until someone else attacks you.

in-lore maybe and certainly for random human npc #3647, but I've never been able to get my teeth in gimble's neck, not when using strength buffs or the stealth discipline. I guess it's a boss fight mechanic ...

(but yes, he's pretty easy)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There are some hilariously cliché dialogues you can have with the bartender. I hope you show them at some point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

Since this thread is *temporarily* the main one regarding the game...

I have arrived at Pisha in my save, but something weird happened: I realized there was an option to *not* buddy up with that goddamned flesh-eating monstruosity and I promptly managed to kill her. Besides not getting her artifacts, do I miss on anything else?

this thread is not an NSA document Some xp, and some lore dialogue. That's the extent of it, I believe.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Oh my god, you missed the best bit! Before you try to climb the staircase you can explore the ground floor a little bit. Down one corridor you'll find nothing but locked doors, but as you get near the end the girl's voice behind you whispers "He's coming!". You turn around and there's a guy with an axe standing there, but just for a moment before he fades away. Like everything else in this location, it's really well done.

That spoiler also has the best lightning/thunderclap timing in horrorgames.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

The bulldozer thing, is that only in the Plus Patch? I don't remember anything like that in any of my many, many playthroughs :psyduck:

Pretty sure that's a patch thing.

EphemeralToast posted:

Well, I hate to be a negative nellie but the hotel sequence did not impress me. Pop scares are the absolute laziest form of building tension and this was nothing but. All the elements of the chandelier falling, GET OUT on the wall, etc. are haunted house cliches to the point of making me giggle. And that diary, as has already been pointed out, is ridiculous.

I guess it kind of makes me a jerk to say this when everyone else is talking about how atmospheric and great it is but I honestly don't understand. I realize that it's different when you're the one playing and I'm sure that I would have been startled playing through it, but that's all--startled. Same as if someone came up behind me right now and went BOO in my ear, which isn't terribly atmospheric. :shrug:

It's a lot different playing vs seeing. That said it may also be a case of hype creating high expectations, while part of the appeal of the haunted house is how unexpected it is, if you are a new player and haven't heard of the level before. You don't know what the rules are that the ghost/video game uses, nor do you know what to look for.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

Jumping on the Peace bandwagon.

Right, I think in addition to White Wolf's boner for insane oracles, it is related to assorted worldwide vampire myths that vampires would have to compulsively count grains of rice or what have you. Renfield could possibly be interpreted as a Malkavian ghoul (although VtM-canon Dracula is an Old World Tzimisce elder*).

* Old World Tzimisce predate the formation of the Sabbat and do not have the Vicissitude (fleshcrafting) "infection", and instead have the clan disciplines Auspex, Animalism, and Dominate.

If that's what Old Tzimisce disciplines were, what was their role? New Fleshcrafting tzimisce is easy to understand - I want to make unholy abominations and freaks of nature using my magic - but with that discipline list they seem little more than slightly less moral Ventrue... Did they have a niche or was the reason the fleshcrafting was added because old tzimisce weren't interesting enough?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I want to hear more about Mithras, he sounds spectacular.

Was he the one that sired about a million different bloodlines during his journey to the east?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Well, if I remember the story correctly, Tzimisce had turned itself into a big immobile thing through fleshcrafting and found it easier to just take over someone else and start over again than try to make a new, mobile form and so may have mind controlled the guy into trying. Still, where Antediluvians are concerned, just knowingly going near one is a big enough mistake :v:

not that that's ever stopped anyone.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vicissitude posted:

I have them practically memorized. :smuggo:

Yeah, I've been busy. That's why I haven't been in the thread as much as I probably should. Anyway, onto the Vinculum.

Back in Ye Olde TymesTM, the elders were in charge of their childer. This, for the most part, hasn't changed, but back then it was considered almost mandatory to punish a wayward childe with a blood bond to keep them in line. When the Inquisition started burning across Europe, many Kindred were killed. A lot of them were fledglings, neonates, or even ancillae who were ordered, Dominated, or blood-bonded and compelled to sacrifice themselves to save their elders. As you can imagine, this made a lot of the younger vampires rather upset with their masters. So to strike back, they needed a way to free themselves from the bonds of blood to their sires. Anarch thaumaturges and/or sorcerers found a way to replace an existing blood bond. They called it the Vaulderie, a practice which the Sabbat practices to this very night.

Essentially, the Vaulderie IS a blood bond, though not nearly as potent. Each member of the pack drains their blood (a single BP) into the ritual "chalice" (anything from a jeweled goblet to a fancy beer mug will do). Each, in turn, drinks the mingled blood. The resulting bond is something a pack member feels toward the rest of the pack rather than to a single vampire. This ensured their camaraderie, but the important thing is that it can BREAK an existing blood bond. Young Anarchs used their newfound freedom to tell their sires to gently caress off and left the elders to the bonfires of the church.

Now, a normal blood bond comes in 3 steps. At the first drink, you think about the domitor a lot. At the second, you go out of your way to see/speak/please them. With the third drink, you are completely enthralled and obsessed with your domitor, to the point where your old life is discarded as worthless (unless your domitor thinks otherwise! In which case you'll gladly keep up appearances!). The Vaulderie's effects are much more subtle, graded on a level of 1-10. But even at the uppermost tiers you're not obsessed with a pack member. The ritual instills a profound sense of loyalty to each other. You don't want to do anything you can to make them happy, but you will ensure they survive and thrive among the pack and the Sect at large.

If you get completely obsessed with your master, why did they try to break the blood bond in the first place? Or do/did the elders really not care beyond the first stage?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PFlats posted:

Oh I agree, this is far from the worst. But why not throw you into combat right out of the loading screen and let you get smacked right down in-engine, then play the cutscene?

Bloodlines was rushed out the door, right? Because I guess limited programming resources is an acceptable answer.

Bloodlines had a seriously troubled development history.

quote:

It began development in 2001, beset with problems: it was the first third-party game to use Valve’s Source Engine – which was not yet completed – with Troika developing their own AI to run on it, White Wolf andActivision having to vet everything, and a development team smaller than most, and especially small for the scope they were planning.

In 2004, Activision seemed to want the project over. They brought the game out as soon as was legally possible and, in the process, took the sales-killing decision to release it on the same day as Half-Life 2 (due to a contract with Valve not to release it before theirs). The original plan had been to release Bloodlines in the spring in 2005 to avoid competition with Half-Life 2, Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3, yet Bloodlines was condemned to be out-competed and rushed in a release that lead writer Brian Mitsoda said “felt one step up from being sold at a yard sale.”

The notoriously-overambitious developer was left without an assigned producer from Activision for over a year, meaning that the project went off on tangents and was allowed to bloat. The resulting crunch to meet the new release date must have been like receiving a thousand sit-ups via electrical stimulation in a single minute; a kill or cure remedy. David Mullich, the producer, described it as “a very gruelling project,” while Brian Mitsoda said that the “the worst” part of the game had been its “scope [...] burning me out for a couple of months after the project was over.” Although he did add that, as bad as that was, it was on par with “realizing that, for the rest of your career, you probably won’t get to write anything like Bloodlines.”

source: http://www.gaminglives.com/2013/10/01/a-lesson-in-patience-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/

tl;dr: Unfinished Source engine + lack of proper management leading to feature creep + Activision deciding to release 6 months earlier than planned + released in same week as Half-life 2/MGS 3/Halo 2 == buggy mess, dead on arrival.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 9, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This is an rpg isn't it? Players are always nice to npcs until they outlive their usefulness (also we want to keep our options open until the end?)

So nice to Lacoix. That said, there's no way Mercurio is any use to us, so throw Mercurio under the Ventrue-bus

edit: that security guard in the apartments is something that the unofficial patch added. Does he ever do anything? He seems like a pointless addition that I really have no clue what his added benefit is.

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 10, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

I find it funny that most of the outfits at least look more protective as they go up but the gangrel just gets different coloured hoodies. We also need pictures of the nosferatu armours. I vaguely remember them getting increasingly gimpy as they went on.

Not my video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRBNq_8G084

Here's a youtube video where the guy goes through all the armors. It's not particularly great but searching <<vampire bloodlines nosferatu armor>> gets you a bunch of ... armor mods...

Nosferatu at 3:45

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gatz posted:

Okay, we're not going to rat out Mercurio, but suck up to LaCroix. We also are going to run into two other political groups in the upcoming part, and I decided to play it like a Ventrue and

If not just to learn about these groups in their own words and not have them be aggressive towards us.

In other words, be a standard rpg player? :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OAquinas posted:

tremere stuff

wasn't there also something about their vampire magic also starting to fail, with frightening (to the tremere) similarities to the way their hermetic spells starting to fail? Also, is there an explanation for why the spells started failing in the first place?

Thirdly, are there any nonvampire tremere mages left in the modern times?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought Caine killed them himself (and most of the third generation) once he realized what his offspring were doing. Either way, he only Embraced three times in total so killing them all isn't such a hard feat.

Who're the three, and are they interesting? Lilith's one of them that I know (and she seems to be involved in pretty much every end of days scenario) and she seems like the more "evil" of them all, but the others draw a blank)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wiegieman posted:

With very slight modification, this describes all the technocratic conventions.the entire world of darkness

fixed :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

It's nice for emergency in-combat feeding, I guess.

Who else indeed? Perhaps a certain someone who coincidentally happened to be in the vicinity with a grenade at hand? Putting someone in danger just so you could rescue them and place them firmly in your debt is Vampire Politics 101, after all (as far as I recall, one of the sourcebooks mentions sires deliberately tipping off hunters to the locations of their wayward childer so that they could swoop in and bring them back into the fold).

If you're playing an unmodded game, don't take Blood Boil. Three Blood Strikes in quick succession will kill any human at a lower cost. On a related note, three Blood Salvos will kill all humans in your line of sight.

I don't know that the Anarchs knew about your mission against the warehouse though? As far as I know the only vampires you can meet are the one Kuei-Jin, a malkavian and a nosferatu, none of which are anarchs, and regardless don't have a clue as to your mission (except for the Nosferatu).

As much as I'd like to take Nines down from his 'nice guy' pedestal, I really don't see how he could be responsible for the ambush.

edit: unless the nosferatu sold the mission information and agent to the anarchs. Huh. Now that's interesting. Any clues/hints to that effect?

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 19, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Important question, lives depend on it: the player character in Twitch Plays Pokemon, would it be considered to be a malkavian or a fishmalk?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Now that we've gotten the apartment, can we start antagonizing Lacroix? He's much more amusing when you stubbornly refuse to do his bidding, especially considering that the only reward we'd get going forward is additional money - which is not a very rare resource.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's worth noting that, should the player choose so, you can antagonise Pisha to the point where combat begins. She'll summon an endless horde of zombies and block off the exits using magical fires until the player or Pisha is dead. Depending on your build the fight can range from reasonably challenging to impossible to kill.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gatz posted:

Pretty heavy spoilers:
***snip***

That's all right - and it's your LP after all. I just really enjoy riling him up. Lacroix' voice actor makes it so satisfying getting under his skin...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

"Wanna know how I got this eyeshadow?"

You're starring in the new Thief game?

:rimshot:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Glazius posted:

Pisha does seem very lucid.

I wonder what we're going to be, after two hundred years.

You think we'll still be alive in 200 years? If we are, though, I like to think that we'll be like Jack. Don't care what life needs snuffing out to get your goals achieved, but not Jack Torrance crazy either...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

barcoded posted:

So in terms of the fan theory that the PC is of unusually high generation, where would they fit in among the vampires that we've met so far?

I was debating for myself how to answer this question, and it lead to a little puzzle of my own: are ghouls more or less powerful than thinbloods, and by how big a margin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I love Grout's voice actor. It's such a pleasant voice to listen to, clearly a man of standing and education, and then suddenly you hear him talk about the advice the voices are giving him.

The background music also works wonders for setting the mood.

• Locked thread