Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Finally caught up on this thread, drat fun to read, I do enjoy me some WoD lore.

Chiming in on the Grout thing, someone else may have had this thought, but I think his Faustian bargain was allying himself with Ming for protection.
He knew LaCroix wanted him dead, but he may not have known How that was intended to happen. One would assume he'd send the Sheriff or other Kindred, and I doubt that the Network is prone to giving concrete info. Assuming LaCroix would send Kindred to do the job, he went for the Enemy of my Enemy route.
Allying oneself with the Kuei-Jin is considered a betrayal of all vampire-kind, but he was terrified, desperate, hella-paranoid and wouldn't have been the first person to be suckered in by Ming's "Oh, no worries, I won't betray you, wink" Schtick.

I also suspect that LaCroix is the one who orchestrated the PC being sired in the first place. He knew he was going to need a dupe eventually, so he either gives your sire permission to embrace, or Dominates them into embracing.
Of course, he then denies ever giving permission. That's why you get captured before the bite marks in your neck even get a chance to close up.

LaCroix tosses in another Dominate to your Sire, ordering them to remain silent, which gives them no chance to at least try to call out LaCroix on his latest treachery.
And then he pretends that you're next. Predictably (to LaCroix), Nines speaks up in your defense, and you are "spared."
So, you're a newly embraced vampire with literally zero idea about kindred society, hell, you're practically a Caitiff (other than your sire being killed instead of ditching you), and you're about to be murdered for a bullshit reason. Makes it really easy for Anarchs to sympathize with you, which gives LaCroix an In to playing them if the need arises and he plays his cards right with you.
Honestly though, I base all of that off of the whole "Forgive me" line right before your sire gets the axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That's a likely possibility that I wouldn't entirely rule out. Like I said, I came up with the LaCroix thing based pretty much entirely on one line in the opening scenes of the game, so I'm obviously reaching pretty hard to make it work.
Still would have been cool if they had given the Sire some sort of characterization or backstory beyond "Embrace and Beheaded."

I thought Grout accepted the Primogen gig before his paranoia really had a chance to set in though. I mean, he may have had enough wherewithal to not entirely trust LaCroix or any of the others to begin with, but at the time, I don't think he would have seen it as dire enough a situation to refer to it as Faustian. Seemed more like at that point that he was just humoring them so that he could continue his research.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. Hitscan grenade launchers. How do they top that? Dual-wielding?

The grenades have smaller grenades attached to them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So much clusterfuckery.
It's beautiful, if only because I'm not the one having to slog through that mess.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It was one hell of a crazy ride.

• Locked thread