Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just in case you are not aware, if you keep the images at the original size and thumbnail them, clicking the blue box (not the image itself) on the thumbnail that shows the dimensions will expand the image to its original size, so there is no loss of information.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the images breaking tables as long as you linebreak your text to prevent it running offscreen to the right. That might be a minority opinion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
A Find a new job. You're better than these jerkbags, I'm sure you can find a new gig.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

Rangers aren't all the way back, but they're in the SPL again. They finished 7th last year, I'll check in at the end of the season if they've gotten back into the duopoly.

eta: Scotland's pro league is so weird. How are the Glasgow teams so dominant? Edinburgh is just as rich if not richer a city, but Celtic and Rangers have accounted for all but 15 or so of the 100+ top division titles in Scottish pro-soccer history. It's insanely lopsided.

Glasgow historically was a city of over a million people and something like 40% of Scotland's current population lives in the West coast lowlands area of which Glasgow is the centre. Edinburgh is the capital today, but that didn't really matter for most of Scotland's post-industrial history due to all political power being centred in London. Edinburgh never saw the same population or industrial growth Glasgow did, and while Edinburgh might be rich now, Glasgow was an economic powerhouse in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Combine that with the deep sectarian divide between Rangers and Celtic and the exportable nature of that conflict to the rest of Scotland and Ireland and you have two very profitable teams that float on a sea of easily exploited hatred.

Mind you, it could be worse. At least it's just Catholics vs Protestants, and not Jews vs Gas Chambers like Ajax and Feynoord.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Tartan Tory posted:

It says a lot that when I view my own choices in football teams, it tends to lean towards nationalists.

Rangers, Linfield, Chelsea, Hamburg, Real Madrid etc... :ohdear:

Fitting for your username though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Seven players. There aren't really enough numbers for us all to have a unique number, how will you break ties? Or do we all get our football miracles if we win?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This wasn't on TV, but it was a viral anti-conservative video that went around at the last election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHR6-KN-8uI

But if that doesn't count, here's a broken record repeating a soundbyte over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCem9EZb-YA

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 11, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

We had a total of seven players come to me with complaints this season: Siegrist, Rainey, Higgs, Todd, Simpson, Mujkic, and Love. CVE, Reveilled, and Sky Shadowing all chose seven. I rolled a die after assigning two numbers to each person, and Reveilled won. Let me know what you want. As a word of caution, the last two winners have seen their favorite club be gifted £50m only to dividend it all to the club owner, and had their favorite club be given a wonderkid prospect who was sold nearly immediately for a paltry £400,000. So bear in mind AI stupidity when making your wish.

Hot diggity drat! Before I make my wish, can I see the current state of the Scottish Premier League, and any info you can give me on Partick Thistle?

And goddamn that was an impressive run up the table, I'm glad the competition was for grumpy players and not final place because I'd have guessed we'd finish in the upper reaches of the bottom half. Congratulations!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

This is actually a down year for the Thistle. They've never finished worse than 5th in this savegame. They are in the final of the Scottish Cup, though, against Inverness. They beat Celtic to get there. They were also in the Champion's League best placed qualifiers after finishing 2nd last year, but couldn't get past Zenit or Lyon. That was followed by an appearance in the Europa League group stage. Their present bank balance is 4m pounds. The first team is solid for the SPL, but they don't appear to have any excellent youth players.

Well, they might just go ahead and sell him, but in honor of the older FM LPs can you give Partick Thistle an excellent young scottish goalkeeper named John McGoon Jr?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

Shirra, who really came on towards the end of the year and finished with a 7 average rating after being at 6.7 in January, is Scottish.

Scotland winning the World Cup would be the only thing that would be sweeter in this game than Wrexham winning the Champions League. And with Shirra, Tartan Tory's wish for a super-striker, and mine for a super-goalie, maybe it just might happen.

Oh, I forgot to vote in my last post, so CBBB.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

I added a couple years to his contract, I hope they don't sell him.

Fingers crossed, though truth be told as long as he doesn't go to Rangers I'll be happy.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Partick Thistle are the very definition of a feeder club, they will sell him. :unsmith:

Sorta looks like Rangers and Thistle have swapped places in the Wrexiverse to me, what with them selling their youth players and finishing ninth. Bad time to be a hun if you ask me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

And it's not just the biggest leagues that see it, in some ways the divide is even greater in smaller countries where you have a giant or two that just completely outspend everyone else. Porto and Benficia outspend the fourth to sixteenth clubs in their league COMBINED:

It's pretty remarkable.

It's a similar situation in Scotland, in 2011 (back when Rangers were still in the SPL), the combined salary total of all SPL teams that were not Celtic or Rangers was just under £38M, while Celtic's bill alone was £32M and Rangers' £28M. Nobody even plays to win the Premiership any more, with Rangers gone for now everybody other than Celtic is just playing for second place.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Might no be particularly creative but I'd suggest The St David's Cup.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
C. Lead us to glory you beautiful bastard

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Also, the absolute insane number of permutations you get there would accurately represent the absolutely insane betting promotions UK bookies do now.

Guess the results of three matches as well as who scores first, how many yellow cards are given out, how many shots on goal each team will achieve and how many sweeties are in the jar on the desk and you could win a fiver!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

This reminds me that I wanted to ask, is Derby pronounced like the derby in the North London Derby or like the derby in the Kentucky Derby? I worry that they'll win promotion for next year and I'll be an obvious noob when I refer to them the wrong way.

Also, why doesn't the derby in North London Derby have an A in it? Man, it's a good thing we rescued the English language from you Brits.

Pff, in Kentucky they pronounce Pin and Pen the same, they're not to be trusted for pronouncing Derby correct!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

That's a good point, I have a sister-in-law from Kentucky. It weirded my parents out (they're New York born and bred).

I should have gone with "home run derby."

Well, for what it's worth, I'll confirm Tartan Tory is correct, it's Dahr-biy, like North London Derby, and in fact all sporting competitions called a "Derby" are actually named after the town in a sense, having given its name to the Earl of Derby, who gave his name to the annual horserace at Epsom Oakes, which became the Epsom Derby, from which all other Derbies derive their names.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sicke posted:

I'm not the only one who sees us 2 points back from Man City with the last game of the season having them coming to our house? Am I smelling two trophies this year?

You're smelling whatever you're smoking, Man U are two points behind City with two games in hand, unless both Man City and Man U gently caress up superfuckingbigtime in their remaining games, there's no way we're winning.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

What?! Are you kidding me?! No wonder we're a third rate footballing nation! You have the greatest American coach of all time asking for the job, he's in his prime, and he raised a team from League Two to the Champions League in five seasons without any financial help. Instead you hire some ancient Spaniard whose only claim to fame is winning the UEFA U19 championship four years ago with the most stacked youth team in the the world? No way, USA. You're dead to me. I'm going to manage Mexico to a World Cup victory, and I'm going to do it while kicking your rear end every single goddamned time we play.

Take that mini-golden generation we made and lead Scott Brown's Scott-Land to the world cup.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

habeasdorkus posted:

The 2022 World Cup is about to begin in Qatar. I look forward to seeing how the game simulates 120 degree farhenheit/50 degree celsius weather during games. I also look forward to the US bowing out early because they're too stupid to hire me as a manager.

quote:

I think the game is guiding you to destiny. :scotland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

tithin posted:

No love for Dragonmount?

Honestly no matter what we call it, the fans of Wrexham are just going to end up calling it the Dragon's Den.

• Locked thread